Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

likaq

Arcane
Damm, i wanted to create such thread myself.
But of course jew was faster ;)

Durwyn

Prophet
Nice review altough I loled at the suggestion in the comments that Visual Novel formula might be the better way to go. Have post-apocalyptic not-romans already been done by Japs ? If not, VD should totally be doing notes now.

Additionally, Gram.pl, one of the biggest gaming websites in Poland featured AoD in their "Most awaited releases of the week" vid, calling it "possibly one of the best cRPGs of all time".

laclongquan

Arcane
This practically demand a combat-centric review. That reviewer seems like not a very good player at that style so he basically sidestep it~

Note that he didnt make even a three sentence paragraph about that aspect~

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The review is completely retarded, but score's actually better than what I expected from mainstream media.

Johannes

Arcane
Nice review altough I loled at the suggestion in the comments that Visual Novel formula might be the better way to go. Have post-apocalyptic not-romans already been done by Japs ? If not, VD should totally be doing notes now.
It's a good point. You don't have to have jap-like visuals to have a visual novel.

AoD is basically a Visual Novel / CYOA with stats and a combat minigame, teleporting and all - but the 3d map can deceive the player to expect more freeform gameplay instead of CYOAs. An interface of painted screens for moving around, with a separate combat view, could well do a better job at telegraphing what the game is about.

The review is completely retarded, but score's actually better than what I expected from mainstream media.
It's not mainstream media by any measure.

Zeriel

Arcane
This practically demand a combat-centric review. That reviewer seems like not a very good player at that style so he basically sidestep it~

Note that he didnt make even a three sentence paragraph about that aspect~

Most reviewers suck at playing games. Getting one who can overlook hard difficulty and enjoy the story bits is a good outcome, not a bad one. Bad would be "lol its impossible trash, 0/10".

edhead

Educated
First impression review by some guy named FerrousPilot.

Review Key Points:

The Age of Decadence is a mechanically deep game, with a lot of interesting gameplay, but it's also very hard and not very accessible to new players.

The frequent usage of skill checks makes the noncombat gameplay more interesting and viable than in most CRPGs, but there are some situations where you simply hit up against a wall and need to save and reload until you discover what the optimal or allowable route is.

Combat in Age of Decadence is quite challenging, and this may turn some people away from the game, since even though the player doesn't always resort to combat as a resolution, a lot of the NPCs do. I found the combat to be quite fun, and a step up from other single character turn based combat games, because of the different weapon types and attack type you could use. Yet it was not as good as most party based games because of the lack of variety in the tactics you can use during battles in Age of Decadence.

The Age of Decadence is very hard, and much like classic crpgs, I had to start over after realizing my character build wouldn't cut it. Luckily this was a fun and painless experience because characters with different skills and attributes really do seem to play differently in Age of Decadence. Plus, the game is designed so that a lot of tedious things like walking to and fro can be skipped entirely through liberal use of fast travel, which I appreciated immensely when I played it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Plus, the game is designed so that a lot of tedious things like walking to and fro can be skipped entirely through liberal use of fast travel, which I appreciated immensely when I played it.
A TELEPORTER FAN!!!!!!111

Seriously, VD was a bit head of the curve here. People are talking a lot about skipping combat in RPGs or playing Call of Duty in any order they like, and here's a game where the busy work of fetch quests is removed!

They should tottaly cash in on this.

Mustawd

Seriously, VD was a bit head of the curve here. People are talking a lot about skipping combat in RPGs or playing Call of Duty in any order they like, and here's a game where the busy work of fetch quests is removed!

PORTAL with RPG elements?

:troll:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer

You can now add it to your RPG book :)

Weasel
Any Biodrone reviewed the game yet?

I'm guessing this is a Biodrone:

Quick Review
So I played the demo and I saw all the posts and comments about the game and must say this game is extremly hard.Dying in this game is the main factor you will face over and over again and also I never defeated that thug in the demo after trying to play 30+ times against him with a variation of armors and weapons.Feels too cheap

Anyways I was interested in the game and its world "the trailer did a good job giving a view" but now I am no longer interested,I understand the devs made the game hard with reason.However having said that would it have been ever so possible to make the game easy for people like myself and others who are new to this series?

From a personal point of view I like this game,since its a mix of some old school RPGs in a way,however I dont have interest in dying every battle and being stuck.Anyhow it would have been nice to have an easy-mode where enemies are not so impossible to fight and allow novice players to enjoy the story of this game.

m_s0

Arcane
I'm guessing this is a Biodrone:
Nah, I'm talking full review, not comments by random people.

I like how he calls it a 'series', though. That's what a steady AAA diet does to you, I guess: everything has to be a series.

animlboogy

Learned
Every mainstream reviewer says every isometric RPG is "like Baldur's Gate", yet they also uniformly refer to Pillars of Eternity as having "deep tactical combat". Do they only know Baldur's Gate by reputation?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not a easy mode, but VD could "leak" the invincibility cheat.... even better if it tags players as cheaters:

0qeXDi.jpg

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
But it's a single player game. Why fuss over how other people play it?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom