Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Post-Release Update #2

Viata

Arcane
another AoD game ever sees the light of day depends on how well AoD sells as there's no reason to make a sequel to a game that barely sold enough to keep us afloat.
Telling my friends to buy this game. Shilling the game on 4chan. :discohitler:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Everytime I played a major fight in AoD I thought "I wish I could control my allies/make my own allies". The Party-based dungeon crawler is a must-buy! Please add HUGE fights to it, so we can obliterate an entire army with a small party of custom bros.

Formation idea:

Axe/dodge guy - Shield/Spear guy - Axe/Dodge Guy
Crossbowman - Two Handed Spear guy - Crossbowman/archer

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Everytime I played a major fight in AoD I thought "I wish I could control my allies/make my own allies". The Party-based dungeon crawler is a must-buy! Please add HUGE fights to it, so we can obliterate an entire army with a small party of custom bros.
How huge?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
How huge?
Harran's pass, maybe more, but with no AI allies. Just my party and the hordes of enemies trying to break our lines. If anyone in your party dies, the game gives you a little eulogy, but continues normally.

Edit: ofc, full custom party is a must. And having some group related abilities would be nice. Don't tell me you can picture a Roman style party based game without a good old tortuga formation :P

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Harran's Pass would be a lot more fun with less allies, yes. Same with the Antidas battle. I know it wouldn't make as much sense verisimilitude wise, but the combat would feel more exciting if you had two or three distinct characters (that is, one hell of a javelin-throwing Velites who has no defence and little HP soyou know you want to keep him safe, etc) instead of many gooks.

alkeides 2.0

Arcane
Patron
I'm replaying again for the first time since release. How do I get the arena challengers? I'm already champion.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Vault Dweller any plans to buff Block in the next patch? As it is, Dodge >>> Block (except vs ranged) because Block simply doesn't protect against aimed attacks, especially Aim:Head or Artery strikes. So a blocker foe is easier to kill than a dodger because you can just Aim:Head him to the death and all his shield and armor won't protect from such attacks.
We'll definitely take another look at Block (and your comments in particular) after the next update.

Johannes

Arcane
There's more to it than carving something once or twice. Here is how Bo Randall's knives came to fame:

http://www.randallknives.com/randall-history/

"It was a terrible thing at close range. (Your knife) would cut a man's head nearly off with a quick swing... I also used that knife to open cans, cut wood, ..."

And I didn't say that the ornaments make knives or guns better. Many people tend to decorate rare and valuable weapons, especially those built with skill and precision, so a $300-500 engraving tells you that it's not a $200 knife.
I'm sure those keep an edge better than an average knife, but in a fight it's functionally one and the same to a cheaper one, if they share basic properties like length, point of balance, weight and are both properly sharpened.

On the ornaments, that's how it works on planet Earth, with rich enough people (there's a lot of pretty-looking junk been made over the ages too, though)... But on a spaceship? Is there really such manpower to go around that you've got people with the time and will to learn a vanity skill like that, or people with the mindset to appreciate such things?

Depends if you want a realistic or campy setting, of course.

Vault Dweller

Developer
The art of decorating something is as old as mankind. Every culture, every period, every 'setting' has it, even wars and prisons. I don't see it disappearing just because some people are stuck on a spaceship. Plus I don't see it as learning a special skill. More like some people who work with wood and metal have a knack for engraving or carving. Quite a few knifemakers do their own engraving, leatherwork, or fancy metalwork, so these things go hand in hand.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, ornamentation and decoration has been a thing for both rich and non-rich going back to prehistory. And depending on the culture, decoration is not just a 'useless, indulgent extra' as moderns treat it, but has a greater importance. I think it's very likely that precious, well crafted things would be ornamented, and in fact, I look forward to the spaceship not looking like every other fucking spaceship on earth (its BLUEEEE and theres METAAAAAL) but actually looking very much lived in. If a car junkie / mechanic lived in a caravan home for 80 years it's not going ot look like just a car.

Esquilax

Arcane
Yeah, ornamentation and decoration has been a thing for both rich and non-rich going back to prehistory. And depending on the culture, decoration is not just a 'useless, indulgent extra' as moderns treat it, but has a greater importance. I think it's very likely that precious, well crafted things would be ornamented, and in fact, I look forward to the spaceship not looking like every other fucking spaceship on earth (its BLUEEEE and theres METAAAAAL) but actually looking very much lived in. If a car junkie / mechanic lived in a caravan home for 80 years it's not going ot look like just a car.

Moreso than that, decoration in terms of clothing/markings/tattoos/symbols is human tribalism at play. In a spaceship that devolved into multiple competing factions over many decades (centuries?), it only makes sense that people would end up looking differently than one another as a matter of distinguishing which "side" that someone is on.

Johannes

Arcane
Sure, decoration in some form or another is very basic thing. Why would the gun shops pick 1800s as their influence though? It's very demanding to do that shit, I'm not sure if it's something a space gunsmith would take as a priority when he knows he could instead improve his manufacturing process and try and make assault rifles instead of revolvers.

If people can make very sophisticated artwork on their guns, which implies there's quite a lot of people around - why has nobody come up with a proper manufacturing process to mass produce guns? If it's all scrap metal banged together with dakka dakka paintings on them, that makes sense. But when you have things to the next level from that, antique-looking guns don't seem like the logical next step.

If you're aiming for overt "cowboys in space" theme it can work, but is that the case here? If something nonsensical, like all the high-tech constructs in AoD using only melee weapons, somehow fits the feel of the setting, it doesn't have to be realistic. As long as it somehow fits the aesthetic you're after. Even a total mishmash like Wizardry can definitely work, just the setting shouldn't take itself too seriously in that case.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sure, decoration in some form or another is very basic thing. Why would the gun shops pick 1800s as their influence though? It's very demanding to do that shit, I'm not sure if it's something a space gunsmith would take as a priority when he knows he could instead improve his manufacturing process and try and make assault rifles instead of revolvers.
I assume for the same reasons they are companies today that specialize in custom revolvers as of opposite to assault rifles that are more mass productiony. A gunsmith makes revolvers not because he can't make assault rifles but because he's good at making revolvers which earns him enough money. He engraves his best pieces made for customers willing to pay extra for a special piece.

As for the engraving/decorating style, it hardly changed. Google for custom pistol grips. Some gentlemen demand nothing but the best for their Desert Eagles.

If people can make very sophisticated artwork on their guns, which implies there's quite a lot of people around - why has nobody come up with a proper manufacturing process to mass produce guns?
A proper manufacturing process requires at least a factory, a will/need to expand their operations, and a large enough market. Again, look at today's custom knives market. There are thousands of knifemakers forging knives the old school way and making a good living. Why would they want to switch to mass production? It's for the 'industrialists' who see an opportunity to flood the market with cheap knives/guns and make a good profit, which hardly fits the setting.

If you're aiming for overt "cowboys in space" theme it can work...
No.

... but is that the case here? If something nonsensical, like all the high-tech constructs in AoD using only melee weapons, somehow fits the feel of the setting...
What are they supposed to use? Assault rifles?

... it doesn't have to be realistic. As long as it somehow fits the aesthetic you're after. Even a total mishmash like Wizardry can definitely work, just the setting shouldn't take itself too seriously in that case.
Here is how I see it.

When the ship left Earth, the firearms were made obsolete by the energy weapons, so that's what the crew and security were armed with. Then there was a mutiny and when the dust settled decades later, the energy weapons were in very short supply, especially the cells. That pushed some people to start making firearms, which explains the variety of styles. Many were primitive, one shot weapons (tier 1), then mulltiple barrels and cylinders were added to increase the rate of fire.

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
I've seen some complaints from boring people that Fusion reactors should automatically mean pew pew lasers in AoD.

As for how you are developing the Colony Ship setting, so far your ideas are top notch and solid.

Vault Dweller

Developer
PS. Revolvers don't automatically mean cowboys. It's an established design that remains popular and viable today, both as a mass-production and custom weapon.

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/gallery.html

32_20_Ruger_Best_Grade.jpg

500_linebaugh_l_frame_redhawk.jpg

44_Paradox_SAA.jpg

Sedgly_Ruger_Vaquero.jpg

Light_Weight_45_Colt_SAA.jpg

the_Keith_no_5_revisited.jpg

Custom_Freedom_Arms_327_convert.jpg

S_and_W_M19_256_main.jpg

valcik

Arcane
We need some modern and more powerful bullets in our games though, .460 Magnum or bust!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom