Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence Post-Release Update #2: More on the Dungeon Crawler and Colony Ship Projects

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Age of Decadence; Colony Ship RPG; Dungeon Rats; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

Vault Dweller has published a new Age of Decadence post-release update over at the Iron Tower Studio forums. Like the previous update, it has information about the game's sales and upcoming updates, as well as about Iron Tower's future projects, the as-yet-unnamed Dungeon Crawler and Colony Ship RPGs. But this update goes into a lot more detail about those - more detail than I thought existed at this stage. Check it out:

AoD:

As of today, we sold over 30,000 copies and our future looks a bit brighter. It's not a success story yet, but it's not a horrible failure either, and when it comes to indie RPGs the latter is a far more likely outcome as it's getting increasingly hard to gain visibility. Not complaining but stating the obvious.

Updates:

Right now we're still working on the endgame improvements. I do agree that the ending is too abrupt and has to be expanded, both in terms of options and scope:

1. An NPC/optional combat in the temple - done
2. Traveling with a lord and his men to the temple, featuring enemy patrols, Aurelian attempts to destroy locations leading to it, like blowing up Hellgate, zealots looking for the temple, Neleos, etc) - need about a month to do it right.
3. "The Battle of the Five Armies" - work in progress but probably not in the next update
4. The Rise of the Chosen One - work in progress
5. Individual Endings - work in progress.

Dungeon Crawler:

First, I want to set the expectations straight as some people are wondering if it's going to be like Legends of Grimrock or Icewind Dale. It will be a combat-heavy game for people who like our combat system and want to see it in a party-based setup. It will be an inexpensive game (around $8) so don't expect a full-scale RPG there.

Basically, you'll start the game at the bottom of a prison mine and will have to recruit other prisoners and fight your way out. Probably 40-50 fights in total. There will be new creatures as well. Here is what Ivan is working on right now.

Colony Ship RPG

While it's way too early to talk about it (as in 'I don't have time to write down a lengthy post introducing and properly explaining the concept'), here are some things for your amusement.

5) FIREARMS

All firearms are ship-made; most are crude, angular weapons. It’s a 'rediscovered' tech (we all know what flintlock weapons are but we don’t make them, so if we have to start making them again, we’ll have to rediscover the tech we’re vaguely familiar with).

They have relatively low accuracy but most firearms tend to be multi-shot weapons (either more barrels or revolving cylinders or burst). They are made by various smiths for the militia and 'adventurers', so they vary in form and style.

- Pistols use powerful 0.45 ammo but most are single-shot guns. More advanced models add more barrels or revolving action.
- SMG use cheap 9mm and have burst mode.
- Shotguns use cartridges and have the widest spread.

We can consider ammo variations within each class but it’s not necessary as 3 different types are more than enough.

6) ENERGY

Energy weapons are Earth-made. Since they have no recoil, large stock isn’t necessary, so where the firearms and crude and angular, the energy weapons are elegant and curved (think flintlocks).

They are single shot weapons that are extremely accurate but slow to fire. They use energy cells (one ammo type for all weapons) that are very rare. Some places sell re-charged cells but they are less effective.

- Pistols
- Rifles have the longest range and best accuracy; the sniper’s weapon
- Cannons (weapons that were mounted on mechs); consume an entire cell when fired.
Also included in the update are images of various pistol models from the Colony Ship RPG, its rather noir-ish intro text and a short summary of its premise. Go take a look - I can already tell it's going to have some unusual art direction for a science fiction game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Added.

... and spread out across 5 libraries and who knows how many genres my backlog now stands at 65 games.

So much for ever trying out the adventure game genre. RPGs forever.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
So, pepper box revolvers will be getting some love.
pepper_2.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
For those who don't frequent the Age of Decadence sub-forum: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ce-post-release-update-2.105006/#post-4251722
Anyway, the premise looks great and this teaser is very mouthwatering but after such great game as AoD it will be very, very hard to reach that level again (not to mention surpass it).
I'm aiming to learn from AoD mistakes and do much, much better (because those mistakes bug the hell out of me).

Hopefully you will succeed with Unreal engine so that more people will get interested - the graphics in AoD is the main deterrent for most people who assume that a game with such graphics will be amateurish in other aspects as well. But most of all, I hope it will take you no more than 5 years to complete and it will have as much content as AoD.
No more than 5 years. It's a promise.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We'll announce the crawler in Feb, post the first screens, explain the changes, etc.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
No Miltiades ending? Fuck this decline!

:troll:

I’m just kidding. The layout of the next update far surpassed my expectations.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Ever crossed your mind to try and license the D:OS engine? @vaultdweller

The unreal engine is awesome and somewhat inexpensive, but larian has already done a lot of ground work for rpg systems implementation, and it's stable and very smooth.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Ever crossed your mind to try and license the D:OS engine? @vaultdweller

The unreal engine is awesome and somewhat inexpensive, but larian has already done a lot of ground work for rpg systems implementation, and it's stable and very smooth.
Such things tend to be very complicated whereas going with Unreal 4 is very simple and straightforward.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Looks good, I've been trying to talk few buddies of mine into playing, they should appreciate that game is still being updated.

m_s0

Arcane
Congratulations on the 30k. Hope it doesn't stop there :salute:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Now I'm wondering if I should postpone my long overdue thief and daratan preator playthroughs.

Perkel

Arcane
Like i said RPGs have looong legs just don't make it 5$ next month and you will do great.

edit:

love those changes to AoD
Can't wait for crawler. That combat system needs proper party crawling.

Drudkh

Learned
Party-based version of AoD combat... fuck yes, please. This already tops the combat in WL2 and PoE and it isn't even done yet :D

Tigranes

Arcane
I'd have bought it even if it was combat only.

Posts it took to see you are full of shit: 1

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom