Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence November Update

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Elwro, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Click here and disable ads!
    I completed the demo with an arrow/critical strike person, but I had 10 dex on that one so I always had initiative. Yeah, those three-against-one fights were a pain. I don't remember getting consistently one-shotted though (and my sword/shield/block and spear/dodge characters both only had 4 con), either you needed to work on dodge or block or get better armor/helmet and versus critical values.
    ^ Top  
  2. Wunderpurps Educated

Wunderpurps
    Most tools are written by programmers, not by the guy making content. They are also fully debugged and have shipped a game already before the modder even starts his work.
    ^ Top  
  3. shihonage You see: shelter.

shihonage
    Yet this guy is in tightest possible contact with the programmers when they're part of the same team.

Fully debugged? Maybe in some cases. Accessible, however? This is where being close to the original devs and the game's systems is critical.

All I'm sayin' is that "some guy making mods for some stranger's game" is a far, far less efficient endeavor than "game dev team making its own content".
    ^ Top  
  4. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Have you tried using DLTCEP+WeiDU combination?
    ^ Top  
  5. shihonage You see: shelter.

shihonage
    No, but I got the impression that it is listed in the dictionary under "nightmare".
    ^ Top  
  6. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Weird. I have found it quite comfortable to use.
    ^ Top  
  7. SCO Arcane

SCO
    It depends of what you want to do. The game itself is quite open about modification of the rules/data it has implemented (since most data it uses is externalized in tables).

Woe betide you if you want to do something new with IE. But Weidu IS the best solution to modding the infinity engine for obvious reasons - it has a sane model of installation and uninstallation, and it's pretty general. I think it could be comfortably be used for modding another engine that hasn't a runtime plugin system if it could be adapted to deal with it's type of compressed files instead of IE's BIFFs (and the dialog part would be useless since that is IE specific).

You do need to know the game file formats backwards and forwards though (Weidu would be almost useless without IESDP).

I'm more interested in the reasons why Weidu mods are so many and modular and Bloodlines/ToEE mods are so few and monolithic (python is a 300 times better script language than dialogs in IE or bgscript). But because it's so much better, things actually got implemented more into the scripts and exe, and not enough into standardized external tables, and that might have made things harder to modularize.
    Only recently a hacker managed to import maps into bloodlines while adding a map you have in BG is "just" adding some lines in file for a mod that does it for you (a mod for modders how about that). Or maybe it's not tools, just popularity.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)