Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Monthly Content Update #1

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Arena Challengers
nuked.jpg

First of all, thank you for the great reception. Thanks to you we can continue making RPGs. The future of our studio isn’t certain yet but you gave us a chance and we’re very grateful.

Your goodwill also buys us 4 months of work before we move onto the next project. Instead of rolling extra content into a DLC and selling it to you for a few extra bucks, we’ll add it via monthly updates to show our gratitude and appreciation.

This month’s update adds 3 things:

1) The arena challengers. We went far and wide to search for the finest warriors and found them in this thread:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230070/discussions/0/490123197946992902/

The first challenger is Hamul, a man of faith and much violence:

arena_challenger_one.jpg

8180C7A5376032773E9199B5DECCD5F5EE4B4BF4

20AF9DC198E5F9BA3EB31808381C1638AEAF90DA

The second challenger is Plaudius, a man of average stats and many talents

arena_challenger_two.jpg

6A621927F07A339F3575403E94E72C023EB61C0E

E5918627837E3FDE5F1CBDED0903567A24A58B3D

Last but not the least is infamous Widowmaker with over 300 confirmed kills and no defensive skills whatsoever. After all, why waste points on defense when you can spend them on Critical Strike and kill your enemies with extreme prejudice?

arena_challenger_three_1.jpg

B00403C16CE17A55C23AF08305021966511D6E61

0D998668F0D2DC4DE96F56CAA81C4ED6038E0492

2) Basil's questline continues, giving you a chance to strike against protection racket (or join in and make some easy money).

3) Trainers, various improvements, and fixes. Notable items (not the full list):
  • You can talk your way past Hermon without having to pay or fight.
  • Random crashes on level switch should be fixed
  • Fixed passability and building collisions
  • Monastery's Elder has the strongbox key
  • Poison only applies on damage; weak poison no longer overrides strong poison
  • Rebalanced the Thieves Guild's questline, making it a bit easier
  • Increased monetary rewards

Notes:

Once again, thank you for your support.

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,7004.0.html

Improvements:

- Added a conversation with a loremaster in Ganezzar tavern.
- Added conversation with Darista after AG questline is finished by siding with Hamza.
- Continued Basil's questline, with extra fights and monetary rewards.
- Added 3 contenders for the arena championship.
- Added more training opportunities, especially when part of a faction.
- Added a capes trader in Maadoran.
- Added open hoods to several NPCs (like Varro).
- Right click on slot selects weapon.

Fixes:

- Fixed random crash on level switch after extended play.
- Fixed building collision on Maadoran slums.
- Fixed SP exploit from fixing laser generators in HGT.
- Fixed SP exploit with Livia if you first talk to her during TG3.
- Fixed issue with Old Teron palace conversation triggering on MG Teron.
- Fixed issue with "half-blocks" still getting secondary effects, like arm injury.
- Fixed issue with looping troops training in IG6 under certain conditions.
- Fixed issue with gem quest and fighting solution.
- Fixed camera issue when talking with Hagnon's replacement in Ganezzar throne room.
- Fixed issue with cellular regeneration triggering Carrinas temple ending.
- Fixed issue with temple elevator not working when sent to see the lords under some conditions.
- Fixed several narrative inconsistencies created by bugs.
- Fixed issue with inferiae when returning via hole when the demon is alive.
- Fixed issue with passability in Library chamber.

Changes:

- Agatai and Lucius training increase CS skill value if under 6, else +10 training rating.
- If you fail sneak check during Mercato's ambush, you still get the other options instead of fighting.
- Added "Nothing personal, just business" when killing Darista for Lorenza.
- Monastery elder has lockbox key, as intended.
- Made Quintus Brothel bigger.
- Increased Arena monetary rewards.
- Slightly reduced Saross prospector combat abilities.
- Rebalanced speech checks in TG questline, generally lower, bigger influence of streetwise.
- Increased size of arena in Caer-Tor, rebalanced fight against barbarians.
- Tweaked traders inventories.
- Slightly increase combat SP for several fights.
- Tweaks to AG4: charisma + impersonate checks for sum, beggar path available without failing impersonate check.
- Increased Barbari fight difficulty (arena).
- Gave a dagger to Gaelius.

Combat Balance:

- Poison only applies when damage is dealt (you don't lose the strike).
- Bolas properly disable defensive skills.
- Weak poison no longer overrides stronger poison.
- Axe savage blow is 25% bonus (from 30%).
- Improved bash cs chance, removed power bash.

hivemind

I feel kinda bad for asking but, could we get a list of all the new training opportunities ?

also Widowmaker's icon doesn't appear when you talk to him in the arena. Elhoim

mondblut

Arcane
Your goodwill also buys us 4 months of work before we move onto the next project. Instead of rolling extra content into a DLC and selling it to you for a few extra bucks, we’ll add it via monthly updates to show our gratitude and appreciation.

So, sensible people shouldn't start playing for 4 months more?

Shadenuat

Arcane
Pfffft

2 of 3 guys don't even have DEX higher than 8, PC with higher DEX would kill them on turn 1-2 with bolas throw

I hope game would throw all 3 of contenders at me at the same time, cause otherwise it's not fair to them

I want Kallikles the Cthulhu Slayer! :rpgcodex:
Should have posted and improved version of my sarmatian warriar wymon with 10 bow 10 alchemy 10 dodge

Made Quintus Brothel bigger.
:philosoraptor:

Please add Slave Market in next update where you can casually check around "this ordu warrior costs 2 talants and you need to feed him meat and goat milk so he won't lose his fighting abilities"
more actual Roman Decadence pls, the setting just begs for it
Or we are Fallout? Ok we Fallout, then raid for slaves in Monastery, sell villagers for gold into slavery :happytrollboy:

- Slightly reduced Saross prospector combat abilities.
...he had combat abilities?

- Improved bash cs chance, removed power bash.
Does Critical Strike skill affect shield bash (knockdown)?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
So yeah, these guys definitely don't seem very strong, but I always thought what is going to matter is how the AI handles their builds and recreates some of the players' own tactics.

BMT Micro is always updated, I presume.

mondblut

Arcane
the 3rd time you are playing, or 17th for that matter.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Life is too short to play the same game more than once. I am still fucking pissed at inXile over WL2DC. Remaking the bloody thing when I was 80% in, no way in hell I am going to slough through it all over.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Life is too short to play the same game more than once. I am still fucking pissed at inXile over WL2DC. Remaking the bloody thing when I was 80% in, no way in hell I am going to slough through it all over.

It is hardly the same game if you don't do the exact same thing. In fact, I'd recommend replaying this game at least once with each class because you see the background of a lot of events in the game which you can't see with one class. Playing Assassin and Mercenary for example pits you in complete different side of events.

mondblut

Arcane
It is hardly the same game if you don't do the exact same thing.

It's the same game unless I get all new levels, all new quests; and different rulesets and GUI are welcome either. A bunch of different dialogues does not a new game make, and I am not going to trudge through the same locales and fight the same encounters again for their sake.

In fact, I'd recommend replaying this game at least once with each class

Hmmmm......

No.

you see the background of a lot of events in the game which you can't see with one class. Playing Assassin and Mercenary for example pits you in complete different side of events.

The last time a game expected to force me to endure it thrice, class-changing console commands came to the rescue. Nope, Gothic 2, don't even hope. :smug:

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's the same game unless I get all new levels, all new quests; and different rulesets and GUI are welcome either. A bunch of different dialogues does not a new game make, and I am not going to trudge through the same locales and fight the same encounters again for their sake.
You get all new quests. How about that? Man, it's disheartening to see codex oldfags knowing shit about AoD.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
That's how 99% of games work but AoD is different. Try the demo, see for yourself.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
It's the same game unless I get all new levels, all new quests; and different rulesets and GUI are welcome either.

I'd best describe this game as a celtic knot, from afar the content seems like it would be same except few points in difference throughout but it is the opposite, content is divided with few points of overlap.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Hmmmm......

Did you also play Deus Ex or Vampire the Masquerade just once? What about ToEE? Roguelikes? Genuine questions, no trolling - But while I'm with you for the majority of games, can't be arsed to play them twice - the titles I mentioned are built from the ground-up with replayability in mind. AoD offers you completely different locations, combats and challenges, when played with different builds. Maybe try an high combat, low skill character in the meantime, to minimize the chances of losing exclusive content but try and play it at least twice.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Well it isnt mandatory; if you enjoyed but not loved the game and are almost finished with it there is really no reason to go for the DC. I myself started replaying it to check out the changes and it was good enough for me to erase my other instal and replay the game with this one, I even remade my exact team for this one and so far it has been lots of fun
Some games you replay even if you have a huge backlog because you enjoy them so much and they scratch a particular itch; Darklands, Dark Souls and Call of Chernobyl have been replayed maybe 3 4 times each while I havent had the interest to even finish some supposed gems which didnt grab me enough

mondblut

Arcane
Did you also play Deus Ex

I don't play shooters. :smug:

or Vampire the Masquerade just once?

But of course.

What about ToEE?

Sure. It being an actually good game, however, it's been long enough to warrant a second playthrough with all the mods someday though. But guess what, I'll go through it exactly the same route I did the first time. Because that was the way it was enjoyable to me, duh. Enforced "replayability" is the most overrated concept in game development.

Roguelikes?

Don't play them mostly, but if I do, of course (and it goes without saying that I savescum). Random levels are an ambitious claim to "muh every game is totally unique", but dying to the same kind of rat after running out of your two magic missiles is only entertaining for the first two times, different dungeon layout notwithstanding. And besides, for a bit of philosophic musings - if your surroundings change unpredictably wherever you go, what's the point of picking a specific direction?

the titles I mentioned are built from the ground-up with replayability in mind.

Or, rather, they wished they would.

Only emergent sandbox games such as grand/4x strategy, sports management and shit are genuinely replayable. Even then, though, you eventually run out of systems you haven't mastered and maps you haven't painted your color.

As for the rest, even if a given game uses its pile of assets to tell several radically different stories in a single package, I am anything but a storyfag to care about that. Heck, it's a very rare and special case when I play more than one "campaign" in a strategy game that comes packed with several of them (now, I'd rather not play strategy games with "campaigns" in them altogether, but that's a different story).

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Speaking of GOG... even if I purchased through BMT and you sent me a Steam key, is there any chance to get a GOG key? I prefer my games from GOG...
You waste hundreds of dollars on some popamole games but you jew (read: skimp) 30$ on such a gem? :decline:

Many people (including me) bought extra copies to show their support. Don't buy Fallout 4 and you can buy at least 2 additional copies.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't play shooters. :smug:

But of course.

Sure. It being an actually good game, however, it's been long enough to warrant a second playthrough with all the mods someday though. But guess what, I'll go through it exactly the same route I did the first time. Because that was the way it was enjoyable to me, duh. Enforced "replayability" is the most overrated concept in game development.

Don't play them mostly, but if I do, of course (and it goes without saying that I savescum). Random levels are an ambitious claim to "muh every game is totally unique", but dying to the same kind of rat after running out of your two magic missiles is only entertaining for the first two times, different dungeon layout notwithstanding. And besides, for a bit of philosophic musings - if your surroundings change unpredictably wherever you go, what's the point of picking a specific direction?

Or, rather, they wished they would.

Only emergent sandbox games such as grand/4x strategy, sports management and shit are genuinely replayable. Even then, though, you eventually run out of systems you haven't mastered and maps you haven't painted your color.

As for the rest, even if a given game uses its pile of assets to tell several radically different stories in a single package, I am anything but a storyfag to care about that. Heck, it's a very rare and special case when I play more than one "campaign" in a strategy game that comes packed with several of them (now, I'd rather not play strategy games with "campaigns" in them altogether, but that's a different story).
You obviously don't care for it, but AoD does this better than any RPG I've played, I'd dare to say any other RPG ever as seems to be the general consensus. You get to see different content or the same content from a different angle. But yeah, life is too short to enjoy a good game properly when Fallout 4 is about to be released.

mondblut

Arcane
What is relevant is I forgot to ask, did you also play Fallout 1-2 once, mondblut? Again, just curious.

Of course. I tried a second F2 replay with an evil bitch PC to sleep my way through the game and to try all the nasty shit the game punishes you for (like selling companions into slavery), but quickly run out of companions :foreveralone: Unless there is a mod that adds a few worthwhile sidekicks (i.e. not Myron) that don't mind childkilling, why bother then?

OTOH, I played Wizardry 7 about 3 or 4 times. That may give you a general picture of what can make me play through a game more than once.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
The third arena challenger seems bugged. For the previous two I would have really low hit chances, which made sense, but for him I had constant 92-96% hit chances which I've almost never seen (unless someone is wrapped up in a bolas). Even when I was using regular aim with my x-bow I had 96% chance hit chance from across the arena, whereas with the two other challengers it would have been something like 16%. Ended up being able to kill the guy without taking a single hit, somewhat of an anti-climax.

oh also his portrait wasn't showing up for me

71C95905E62CF2DBB5E8DEF58D9C7C4AAE76289B

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom