Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Age of Decadence May Update

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
It is not just a nice gesture, although ITS deserve it, it’s also a conscious and self-interested choice. If I have to buy AoD four times in order to have another ITS game, so be it. I think it’s a bargain. Some of your supporters already helped other studios with a lot of money, they wouldn’t mind helping ITS.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing that ITS could use KS for is making a boxed version of the game. It's the perfect platform for we either get X number of sales to make it worth it or we don't.

YES!!! Come on Vault Dweller think of it as a pre-order to see if there's enough interest. Set the minimum goal amount to whatever you would need to create xxx number of boxes. Your pitch would be just for this similar to what Blackthorne did with his strat guide/clue book KS. No need to worry if it fails to make it's goal as it's not tied "directly" to the game proper so that stigma wouldn't really stick. I would so love a nicely printed spiral manual, map, etc..... th.jpg

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
It is not just a nice gesture, although ITS deserve it, it’s also a conscious and self-interested choice. If I have to buy AoD four times in order to have another ITS game, so be it. I think it’s a bargain. Some of your supporters already helped other studios with a lot of money, they wouldn’t mind helping ITS.
Of course, and everyone at ITS would be extremely grateful for the support, but since we're such a niche game in a niche genre, I feel the best way to ensure future games would be to create more exposure (rather than relying solely on our original supporter's generosity). If everyone who likes the game could spread the word, in whatever way they're comfortable with, then Iron Tower may have the larger audience it needs to support future games. We'll do what we can on our end to market AoD, but some positive exposure from players can make all the difference.

But it goes without saying that if you decide to support the game by buying extra copies, then one thousand :salutes: to you. It makes me happy to hear that people are enjoying something that I had a small part in creating, so if I can keep doing this for a living, then what could be better?

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've been waiting for a few years for the release of this game and like a junkie I've read all the game updates. I'll buy it at full price on the release day. Being employed had it's advantages, but the lack of time is the biggest disadvantage. Because of this, I appreciate games that don't take tens of hours to complete (unlike W2, D:OS, etc.). This is one of the things that I like about the game, multiple classes with different playthroughs that don't take much to be finished. Even dying is good since I can always restart with another class so I don't get bored repeating the steps made with another class.

Trip

Learned
I for one find this inspiring. I haven't played the game, and I've only followed the news on and off, but I hold many of ITS' standards for what I want from at least some CRPGs, and I agree with many of the things VD's written on the topic over the years, here and over at ITS' forum. Not to mention the perseverance and force of vision that makes possible working on a game for 10 years in an environment where, at least to most people, games start to seem "old" disgustingly fast. I can't imagine how one keeps their motivation going in an industry where "Are we falling behind/missing out on the current trend?" is probably a meeting-room mantra.

Keep going, guys.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
YES!!! Come on Vault Dweller think of it as a pre-order to see if there's enough interest. Set the minimum goal amount to whatever you would need to create xxx number of boxes. Your pitch would be just for this similar to what Blackthorne did with his strat guide/clue book KS. No need to worry if it fails to make it's goal as it's not tied "directly" to the game proper so that stigma wouldn't really stick. I would so love a nicely printed spiral manual, map, etc..... View attachment 5990

If you really want to consider this, I'd be willing to help you out. I've had to spend the past couple years doing legwork to find out how to get this done, and it'd be cool for the fans of physical stuff. Let me know, and I'd be happy to help.

Bt

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Guys, if you really want to help ITS, we don’t need kickstarter and all that. We can simply buy more units of AoD. The game sold more than 12,000 units. Let’s assume that only half of the buyers understand cRPGs. If each of these conscious buyers bought three more units, that would represent 18,000 additional sales. Most of the sales are generated by word of mouth anyway.
A nice gesture, but I'd rather have more new people playing the game than putting the burden on our existing supporters by having them buy extra copies. Our original 12k + supporters are already true bros for believing in us, the last thing I'd want is guilting them into paying more for what they already own.
Well I'm buying it for the second time on the first day it gets on gog, that's for sure.

Latro

Arcane
I've been waiting for a few years for the release of this game and like a junkie I've read all the game updates. I'll buy it at full price on the release day. Being employed had it's advantages, but the lack of time is the biggest disadvantage. Because of this, I appreciate games that don't take tens of hours to complete (unlike W2, D:OS, etc.). This is one of the things that I like about the game, multiple classes with different playthroughs that don't take much to be finished. Even dying is good since I can always restart with another class so I don't get bored repeating the steps made with another class.
I'm def buying full price on release, gotta fund that incline

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
One dumb question for the developers: which distribution service is more profitable for you? Steam or Gog?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
We have a distribution agreement with GoG but we aren't on GoG yet as they don't support 'early access' (or didn't when we signed the agreement).

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS COOL UPDATEG

I PLAYED THE SHIT OUT OF THEFURSRT CITY DEMO

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO WASTING DAYS ON AOD

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Don't have much to add, but I'm enjoying the game so far and really do like the atmosphere, story, and the feel of the game. The parts that make it a little rough is that I seem to always lose initiative, so I start every fight beat to hell. Maybe I need to start another class, I don't know. Good luck with the game!

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
AoD is somewhat of an introvert's game. It's very hard to provide any "at a glance" looks of the game that are hype-inducing, because the genius is in the script and gameplay nuances. VD could show cool screenshots of some of the larger-scale battles but that would simply be lying about what the game really sets out to do. It may even force the devs in a bad direction, as people start requesting "more of it" and withdraw their pledges if the excitement is not maintained.

It's a reality that on Kickstarter, a lot of the pledges are generated by people who skimmed through the pitch video & backer perks. Everything writen next to those is typically only going to be read by folks who have already bought the concept of the game... and it's very tough to sell good writing skills and intellectual honesty in an environment like that.

The points made in this thread about Kickstarter campaigns possibly damaging a game's potential are all too true... which is incredibly ironic considering indies seek out crowdfunding as a way to retain creative control from overzealous publishers/investors yet, if not careful, they may end up selling out that very same creative control to the audience instead.

In the grand scheme of RPG evolution, crowdfunding may be a small step forward but certainly not one to take lightly.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
95% of players don't have any engine-related issues, but 5% do and Torque isn't getting any younger
I wonder what are these 5%?
It runs best on Win 7, but Win 7 days are long gone. In 3-4 years we might run into a much bigger problem, so it's best to switch now than be forced to switch in the middle of development
How about compatibility mode? Doesnt that solve the problem?
Well as I know on 26 July there is a Win10 release...couldn´t hurt to check that out^^!
Kinda this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCsGd7ayL-c
What language does Torque support?
Nevertheless I wish you a smooth port!!
I love We all love tinkering with systems and trying new things. I get excited thinking of all the different things we can try (while staying dogmatically true to TB), so refactoring is the very last thing I want to do. I don't even want to do an AoD sequel because there are so many different settings I want to explore.
So you mean like making a better IDE?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
95% of players don't have any engine-related issues, but 5% do and Torque isn't getting any younger
I wonder what are these 5%?
Rough estimate based on the crash reports and occasional issues reported on Steam.

How about compatibility mode? Doesnt that solve the problem?
Almost never (when it comes to game-stopping issues).

That's Torque 2D. We use Torque 3D (upgraded from TGE).
http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d

What language does Torque support?
We use C++. Not sure what other languages it supports.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Meh, FORTRAN 77 is what a true Neanderthal would've used :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom