Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence July Update

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Marobug Newbie

Marobug
    Click here and disable ads!
    Dood. Trolling your own audience is a recipe for failure.
    ^ Top  
  2. Surf Solar cannot into womynz

Surf Solar
    As if this small joke suddenly led to some cataclysm leading to people grabbing their forks and suddenly losing all interest in the game, ending the world by those events. It was just a joke man.
    ^ Top  
  3. Occasionally Fatal Arbiter

Occasionally Fatal
    I eagerly await the streamlining update. :salute:
    ^ Top  
  4. CrunchyHemorrhoids Educated

CrunchyHemorrhoids
    I thought AOD was the answer to some "put up or shut up" trolling.
    ^ Top  
  5. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Indeed.
    I find it funny (now) because I actually believed it for a while there... or at least I wasn't *really* sure if it's a joke or not. I'm very much a pessimist nowadays, expecting only the worst. Anything. Even something that was completely inconceivable 10 years ago. This is what recent shit in "gaming" industry did to me. If they made Fallout oblivion with guns, an X-COM as pop-a-mole, Duke as utter shitter and even Vogel made a bioware-like indie game, so I just though maybe VD went completely nuts, too. It sounded just crazy enough to maybe be true. I'm glad this is not the case with AoD. :obviously:
    ^ Top  
  6. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    That said, that justification on the previous page seemed good enough, VD. What's keeping you from releasing it on live arcade or something to boost sales, other than :x ?
    ^ Top  
  7. drunkpriest Scholar

drunkpriest
    I looked forward to playing this on LIVE with my bros and comparing scores and stuff, but
    since its just for the pc I will have to pirate it
    ^ Top  
  8. Marobug Newbie

Marobug
    Just kidding just kidding. I admit I chuckled when you admitted what you did, though imagining the entire AoD forum going apeshit for a day or two and then you going like "gotcha! Just trolling, it's still pc exclusive" could be pretty fun.
    :thumbsup:
    ^ Top  
  9. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    Do Sony and Microsoft require all of their Steamalike downloadable games support the controller? Has anyone done something like port a straight up mouse+keyboard PC genre like RTS to Live or the Sony version of Live or is that shit off the map? Why isn't Blizzard trying to get up in that ass, what why who
    ^ Top  
  10. sgc_meltdown Arcane

sgc_meltdown
    since it's pc exclusive will it have games for windows certification at least

it would reassure ITS fans to know that a level of quality similar to fable III or hunted: demon's forge will be guaranteed by professionals
    ^ Top  
  11. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    I concur.
    ^ Top  
  12. mediocrepoet Arbiter Patron

mediocrepoet
    Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity
    You mean I won't be able to play it on my sofa and boost my gamer score with AoD achievements? Man, fuck this game! :x
    ^ Top  
  13. Kaanyrvhok Arbiter

Kaanyrvhok
    Take him at his word. Especially on a friday night. :salute:

That said, something seems fishy

I dont understand how someone can enjoy playing console game's with their kids and have no interest in consoles and I dont understand how someone who has no interest in consoles could make such a typo.

Typos usually don't spell actual words unless of coarse you get your courses backwards like I just did.

I will throw this out there since we are airing PMs. I would port everything and code the stupid achivements and controls to put AoD on Live if VD is double trolling. That way they don't to waste time on it and they can focus on a PC game which is what sells on consoles anyway. From Madden to Dragon Age isnt it always PC games and ex-PC games...

On another subject. AoD should drop the quotes about 100s of quest. Nothing wrong with reneging on that. 15 quest with multiple solutions are better than 100 and we don't need 100 in an Indie game. I mean not at all to rush the game in any way except stating that you dont need 100 fucking quest.
    ^ Top  
  14. root Arcane

root
    good to see it's been seven julys already

i'm sure the next one will be just as interesting
    ^ Top  
  15. thursdayschild Educated

thursdayschild
    It comes from making the characters have not so many polygon.
    ^ Top  
  16. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    AoD is being dumbed down for consoles?

LAWL!

VD must be trolling.

If he isn't... Well let's speculate on which innovative inventory interface will be included and which stats will be cut out so you won't have to spend 30 minutes digging through them with a gamepad.
    ^ Top  
  17. Micormic Educated

Micormic
    I don't think they're worried about 1 retard (you).
    ^ Top  
  18. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    Because I copy-pasted it from a conversation I've had with a certain bro who argued rather passionately that AoD will do well on consoles.

Because we believe it's not necessary. The PC RPG market is big enough to support a small indie studio. If we won't get the support there, we won't seek it on the console market.

Because consoles are for action/arcade games meant to be played with friends on your couch. Because I've never seen a decent RPG on the consoles and I don't think that porting is possible without dumbing gameplay down. Every time a console port was announced, quality suffered despite assurances that it won't.

Because I like playing games with a keyboard and a mouse.

Context.

No interest in developing games for consoles. Similarly, I like the Diablo games and will buy Diablo 3 the moment it's released, yet we have no interest in making action RPGs.

We are not. Airing PMs would be telling everyone what you said and (usually) inviting people to laugh at you and/or attack your position. I merely copy-pasted a paragraph since I needed some authentic "in favor of" arguments.

a) I don't think we mention that the game has 100s of quests everywhere. I've mentioned 2-3 over the years that the game has over 100 quests. Not hundreds.
    b) you're implying that it isn't so, which isn't nice
    c) the starting town alone has 25 quests, so it's kinda hard to scale it down to 15
    d) what kinda lame ass game, indie or otherwise, has only 15 quests?
    e) AoD was designed to be replayable and many quests are mutually exclusive, which is why the high number of quests is NECESSARY, because an average playthrough will give you no more than 25 quests, which isn't a lot.
    ^ Top  
  19. Elhoim Developer

Elhoim
    Nope. It comes from making the characters have not so many drawcalls.
    ^ Top  
  20. Kaanyrvhok Arbiter

Kaanyrvhok

You dont have to develop a game for consoles to release a game on a console. I wish more developers understood that.

Your stance could be. -AoD is a PC game designed for the PC gamer you can play it on consoles just as you might play Fallout on the PSP or Diablo on the PS 2. You just don't have to go through the hassle of emulating.

That would set a wise president both economically and artistically.

I don't mind either way I would have rather heard your argument for porting AoD to Live arcade even if it was hypothetical.

Fug after banging my head against the monitor for 15 minutes I decided to graniulate right with you.
    a) Yes the statment is over 100 and its on the website. You also state that each situation has multiple ways of being handled.
    b) I am. Its not realistic, and its much too time consuming for something that isnt necessary or wanted by anxious or grounded fans.
    c) Not quite. I'm saying that if your quest truly have multiple solutions and paths then they will take longer to develop and play through so 15 is a strong number in context.

e,d) The 15 was an example of what I would find fun in a playthrough knowing that you would have to design and develop at least twice that number. It was a statement on what I would rather have to offer perspective not a suggestion. My suggestion is that over 100 is too much not that 15 should be the target. I understood that you might need three times as many quest in total taking into account the quest that even a flexible character build could not attain.

Off the top of my head I think of Fallout and my two favorite JRPGs Way of the Samurai and Shenmue that had low quest counts. Fallout had less than 50 quest. About 20 of them had multiple solutions and less than 10 had more than 2. By AoD's criteria Fallout had about 20 quest. A likely end user would play maybe half of them so we are talking about less than 15 AoD worthy quest per play through in Fallout. The funny thing is I think you could pull it off. You already have better combat. I just dont see 100 and if you already have 25 in one town I would hope the town isnt paced like the first IWD town that had about six quest and its more like Neverwinter in the NWN games.
    ^ Top  
  21. Grunker RPG Codex Staff Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Why do you presume Console-players would be any more lenient towards Vince and ITS when they play a game that has shit console controls than we are when we get the same on PC?

I think it would yield as much shitstorm as success from the audience.

Plus, I can completely symapthise with the fact that Vince would like his audience to get the most of the game. They will get that with a mouse, not a controller.
    ^ Top  
  22. Kaanyrvhok Arbiter

Kaanyrvhok
    Why would you presume that a simpler port of the controls would produce shitty controls? I played BG on the PSP and I use to emulate C64 games on a smart phone. Without any optimization it handles better than RPGs that were designed for consoles. Nothing is as derpalistic as the Fable inventory or the memory leak in the Oblivion inventory, or the unified Dragon Age/KOTOR inventory, or the Mass Effect Inventory. I'll map the AoD combat demo to a 360 controller and see how it preforms.

Again ITS wouldnt have to do it.
    ^ Top  
  23. MisterStone Augur

MisterStone
    Glad to hear that two years after that combat demo was released you guys now have a TOTALLY AWESOME dialog interface. That old dialogue interface was just not cutting it. I swore to myself I would never buy the game unless the dialog interface was completely re-vamped, and damn if you guys didn't come through!

This game, and especially it's dialog interface are going to rock the gaming world like no other game before it.

:thumbsup:
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)