Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence development in the final stretch, release on October

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
We’re planning to release the final location by the end of August. At that point the game will be content-complete. We’ll test, tweak, and polish through September and early October (so far we’ve allocated 6 weeks) and release.
Vault Dweller: Perhaps the last piece of advice in the world you need to hear is, "Don't rush it," but all the same, I will say from my experience with Primordia that you are cutting it fairly close in terms of testing. The last parts of Primordia to go in came out pretty poorly until a months-later patch. In some ways, AGS is a much harder development engine to test (and patch) than what you're using, and I know you've been testing as you go, but AOD is orders of magnitude more complex than Primordia was.

One problem that you may face (similar to ours with Primordia, which is that each new iteration broke all saves, meaning that testers had to start over from the beginning to test the end game content, and grew increasingly jaded/worn out) is that the last content you put in, to be tested "in context," may require playing the game from start to finish. That will take time with AOD.

Since all I know about the game is from snippets I've read here and there, I may be wrong, but it seems like a really fundamental aspect of the game is how the parts cohere. With every patch update, it seems like things you've added have reopened questions about earlier areas, how to foreshadow later developments, how to have different areas interact or at least to have later areas react to earlier choices (which sometimes may mean adding earlier choices). If I'm right, this is a key part of the process, but one that will be sorely tempting to rush through: like not letting meat sit for juices to reabsorb before you carve ("It's right there! It's cooked! FFS, let's eat!") or pick your metaphor.

Anyway, my long-winded two cents. Since AOD may be the first RPG in a decade that I actually drag my weary carcass to play, I hope for the best.

Deleted member 7219

I was hoping that they'd spend the last few months of development working on launch-day DLC like any decent developer.

(Sorry, I know I keep using that joke but isn't it fucking refreshing to see a bunch of guys get together and make an RPG of this quality?)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom