Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. It has come to this administration's attention that brofists are divisive, and encourage the formation of agenda-based brofist cliques. The RPGCodex strives to provide a welcoming forum experience for all fans of the genre, and brofists are hindering this mission's success. In light of this, brofist functionality has been removed so as to create a new, better, Codex browsing experience.

We further advise our members not to attempt circumvention of this removal by reverting to the old and just as divisive method of creating empty posts of "+1" and "what he said." Such posts only seek to further a culture of exclusion where select users may end up feeling discomfort or emotional trauma. These posts will be considered spam and thus a banable offense. The Codex administration seeks to provide a safe and secure posting environment where the needs of the minority outweigh the needs of the agenda-reproducing majority.
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence December Update

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    Click here and disable ads!
    My apologies. For a second there, I actually thought you might have something to say. Sure fooled me, haha.

No way! You finished maps on time? Jesus Fucking Christ, dude, how did you do that, HOW?!! You must teach me, because what's an RPG if not a bunch of maps loosely put together?
    ^ Top  
  2. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Holy shit, VD really is now starting to crack. :lol:

Must really suck never getting any shit done huh? Must hurt your ego much. Poor VD, maybe I should go a bit easier on you from now on.
    ^ Top  
  3. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    I can see how the combat demo and the upcoming "proper" demo (you may want to read the beta testers' impressions in the newspost above) might pale in comparison with Quake 3 maps, but not everyone is a super achiever like you. You'd be surprised how many people settle for less.
    ^ Top  
  4. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    I see now why VD needs the Codex. He can snap at trolls here whenever he feels like, so only the better part of him as gracious host might be seen in the ITS forums. :cool:
    ^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Angry Codexians trolling each other are dime a dozen, but at least VD is actually doing something. :salute:
    ^ Top  
  6. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Yeah, right.

What was he doing again?
    ^ Top  
  7. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
  8. LibertyRansom Learned

LibertyRansom

I disagree with this approach. I like seeing updates and giving feedback. I like the monthly updates. It's similar to the way my (or any successful) Indie Band acts. They can't afford to be out of touch with fans because they might seen as this as them dying or people might lose interest. You stay in touch and give you incentives for people not to forget you by offering screenshots or updates etc. I think it might also be good for the developers too; they need to see interest from others to stay motivated. None of this magic happens in a vacuum.
    ^ Top  
  9. DragoFireheart My custom tag should say "Impotent Cunt". Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

DragoFireheart
    More stuff than you?
    ^ Top  
  10. CreamyBlood Augur

CreamyBlood

I love it when people that obviously have no software development experience think they can manage something so easily. As has been mentioned many times before, they were green and didn't know what they were doing, you have to learn to code, do the graphics, learn the engine, the scripting and find out that ideas in your mind don't work in reality plus much more. And it all takes time and you don't know how long it takes until you do it.

Try making an old 'dig-dug' game with an existing games engine and let me know how long it took you compared to your 'estimates' and 'deadlines'.

Anything of this scope can easily burn a person or small team out because it truly is overwhelming. Getting your first functional prototype running is usually where all the enthusiasm starts but it's really just the beginning of an incredible amount of work/drudgery. That they've stayed persistent and hung on for so long is admirable. I'm interested in the end-product and will buy it unless the demo doesn't appeal to me.
    ^ Top  
  11. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    You know, i really think they moved well beyond level where they need such advice.
    Besides, you dont really know how exactly they work, what is their daily situation or routine etc... so its really a "bit" superfluous.
    Never mind down right wrong.

Especially that part about getting away from the fans. Thats the type of behaviour for mass market companies, not for indies like this.
    I really suggest you go over at Iron Towers and read and get yourself acquainted with everything before giving such advice.
    ^ Top  
  12. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    If you wan to translate what i said into that silly "quote" be my guest.

You should read more than just updates on their site. The interaction with members there is significant and valuable in more ways then one.
    Generally get more info and then come back with your bullshit opinion.
    Not that i aim to be insulting but basically it is simply - bullshit. Exactly the same as Morgoth going how there will be nothing of it and how they are actually not doing anything., dont know anything and blah, blah, blah.

The monthly updates are there to show that development is still going and to give something to members and fans they have, members that continued to provide their support for so long.
    FACT IS that if they didnt do that they would loose majority. And thats their primary customer base.
    And they cannot get new ones before they release at least a full demo so your suggestion is pointless and stupid!

The upgrades they did were simply a necesity and it only shows they have a serious intention to make a game that will actually sell.
    Not just a prototype that would sink completely and destroy any chance of making another game in the future.

Basically, what you say comes off if you simply dont know what youre talking about and just spam some kind of general advice that you think is the best option for game developing.
    So its pointless.
    ^ Top  
  13. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    I understand why the KKKodex is protecting the Führer. It's okay.

But if this shit isn't coming out with an updated engine that maybe also runs on Win 7 without crashing every 30 secs, then perhaps those fine chaps at ITS should find another hobby?

Plus I bet Black Mesa Source is coming out earlier.
    ^ Top  
  14. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    I think Knotanalt's advice makes perfect sense as honest feedback from a potential customer who is only exposed to VD talking on the Codex / Codex newsposts. There are ups and downs to providing the kind of detailed updates Iron Tower does.

The only problem is, he tries to give advice about their entire work process based on a few dozen things he's read on the Codex. I don't think I need to explain why that doesn't work.

Anyway, this is nothing compared to what will happen when the demo comes out, when Volo will tell us NWN1 is so much better, and Morgoth will once again tell us everything in the world except the stuff he likes is shit. M:

P.S. You know I love you, Morgoth buddy.
    ^ Top  
  15. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    I can take knotanalt suggestions as "meaning well" but they just dont make much sense for what i know of development of AoD.
    Morgoth seems to me to have more of a "personal" issue with VD than anything else.
    ^ Top  
  16. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    But yeah, seriously, Morgoth, what's your beef with the VD? And no, I don't want to read tons of old posts to find out, etc.
    Your rivalry does not qualify as interesting Codex history.
    ^ Top  
  17. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    I'm pretty sure the Führer once wronged me. But I can't remember actually, it's been too long.

*oldfagdementia*
    ^ Top  
  18. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    Oh, whatever: I just can't stay mad at your avatar. :cool:
    ^ Top  
  19. Lonely Vazdru Pimp my Title

Lonely Vazdru
    You mad ? The amount of drama, butthurt and various witty dialogue exchanges induced by these mothly updates is priceless. I wish they could be made weekly.
    ^ Top  
  20. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Well, no problem. Apologies if my post seemed rude, anyway.
    ^ Top  
  21. DragoFireheart My custom tag should say "Impotent Cunt". Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

DragoFireheart
    Fucking old fags. Isn't it time for your sponge bath or some shit?
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)