Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence December Update

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Dec 23, 2011.

1. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Click here and disable ads!
    In Bioware/Beth games this was derided, but since it's AoD, it's MAJESTIC AWESOME!!!!
    ^ Top  
  2. Skittles He ruins the fun.

Skittles
    It was awesome in Fallout and Arcanum, too.

The difference is that you don't lose control of your character and either become invincible or take a beating while you're looking 'cool' in those games.

Pay attention.

EDIT: Though that's true of Bethesda games, I don't know what you're talking about Bioware for, but it's been a while for me.
    ^ Top  
  3. ViolentOpposition Liturgist

ViolentOpposition
    When I read "Update" I thought 'patch'... which excited me as I figured AoD might have finally come out since the last time I checked a few months ago. Nope.

:(
    ^ Top  
  4. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    arent you spoiled?

Demo is coming out next month. Probably a few days after Phobos Grunt falls on your city and wipes you all out.
    :)
    ^ Top  
  5. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    When you obviously never killed a fucking troll in DA:O, doing the AWESUM kill animation while the rest of your group is being hacked to bits and you just have to sit there and watch...

Oh and it's not just losing control, people have laughed at the gibs flying and ott kills in other games regardless of whether you lose control or not.
    ^ Top  
  6. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    A simple crit kill animation in TURN BASED cannot compare to ultra-elaborate kill animations in real time.

Take one of the simplest and yet most satisfactory animations in history: guys flying backwards after a shotgun blast in Fallout Tactics. Simple and yet so tasteful, so good, so matter-of-factly.
    ^ Top  
  7. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNJugOh_vw&t=1m18s
    'crites gonna crit. Fallout's gory deaths were a selling point (From the box: "Victims don't just perish-they get cut in half, melt into a pile of goo and explode like a blood sausage into chunks of flesh" :yeah:) and bloody mess was a trait for a reason.
    ^ Top  
  8. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    Bloody mess was a BORING trait precisely because it made critical deaths cheap.
    ^ Top  
  9. Wunderpurps Educated

Wunderpurps
    When you hack on the trolls for about 6 minutes without any reaction and then suddenly that last hit makes it explode like a pinata it is unbearably retarded.

Being gratuitous once in a while is fine but unless you intend it to be a joke (and in some small sense I believe it was meant to be in fallout) then you should be careful with that kind of stuff.
    ^ Top  
  10. Skittles He ruins the fun.

Skittles
    Mea culpa, I haven't.

Maybe it's a sign of my maturity, but I do laugh at that shit in FO, Arcanum and even BG. That's part of the appeal. People who laugh at it derisively because it's juvenile can ram their gritty realism up their asses.
    ^ Top  
  11. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Nice Wasteland reference with the blood sausage :D
    ^ Top  
  12. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Also, RT vs TB. TB is far more flexible for "cinematic" or dramatic stuff, as ironic as it is.
    ^ Top  
  13. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    Fixed :smug:
    1451 Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  14. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Nice subjective opinion there. I remember reading posts from kids who enjoyed bloody mess and I'm sure there would have been an outcry had they removed it in Fallout 2.

But each hit makes it lose like a pint of blood, as nonsensical as that is. There's your reaction.
    ^ Top  
  15. Mozgoëbstvo Learned

Mozgoëbstvo
    It is comical the first few times you kill someone with a wrench and he explodes; not the next 200.

Why, Villain, why?

ANYWAY, MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY CODEX!
    ^ Top  
  16. Autistic Vishnu Arcane

Autistic Vishnu
    Really? :roll:

People typically just end up making themselves look like giant douchebags when they attempt stuff like this. Bad humor ruins a game like nothing else. Being meta, breaking the fourth wall, and all that...
    ^ Top  
  17. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    There is no such thing as bad or good humor, you know.

'cept Adam Sandler, he is universally shit.

Chances are, what you find extremely hilarious and entertaining is extremely boring for someone else. Should game makers strive to make games that spark no reaction at all in the players, just to be on the safe side?
    ^ Top  
  18. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    I take it that this is an example of bad humour.
    ^ Top  
  19. Skittles He ruins the fun.

Skittles
    Yeah, but assuming he's talking about irony, not sarcasm, he's making the distinction between something that's ironical within the story logic, context and characters of the game and something ironical only in the context of games and stories in general or any other 'meta' context. While that's not necessarily a cut and dry difference, it's an objective difference and he's pretty clear about what it is that he's objecting to.

And you're right that some people might enjoy the latter just the same, but come on, how popular was Frayed Knights on the Codex?
    ^ Top  
  20. Serious_Business Magister

Serious_Business
    AGE OF MOTHERFUCKING DECADENCE
    :yeah:

If you pick something apart and judge it on its own merits, you might think this the only way to proprely critique something - but there's something to be said about the other side which you're implicitly accusing to be arbitrary and nonsensical. When you pick something apart, you broke it down when it was whole.

The animations might suck in both games, but suddenly it looks good in AoD. Why? Because the whole is better. Outrageous, isn't it? I broke down logic, what are we ever going to do? There's something to be said about not judging things so abstractly that you break them apart all the time in little components. You should try it sometime, I'm sure your life will be improved for it.

It's because these kinds of judgements are cognitive in nature. But we're talking aesthetics here. You're not using the right tools for the job. It's hard to be untermensch, I know.

That said and done, since I'm not sure how much I trust VD's taste, it remains to be said if AoD is going to be more than the sum of its parts. I have hope, but we'll see.
    ^ Top  
  21. Cef Novice

Cef
    why did you not return my mail? was i not qualified?
    ^ Top  
  22. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    You weren't accredited by IDF.
    ^ Top  
  23. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Lets get this back to where it should be.

The more i read how testers cannot win fights, the more i like it. The more i read how they die, and die, and die - the better it feels.
    The more the game kicks them in the balls the more i love it.

And the more you cannot play through separate gameplay designed for different character builds the more awesome it is.

Sure, some of the impressions dont sound so swell because they arent described so well or some parts maybe actually arent that good - its difficult to tell what the exact issue is without playing or knowing more personally.
    And it may very well turn out i wont like some situation myself, wont agree with decision made or whatever, but who cares? Im not expecting every little detail to be just perfect to my mind set or some philosophy.

Very good to see some side content added too.
    ^ Top  
  24. LiWe Educated

LiWe
    subjective but also ignorant. you must understand, unqualified testers aren't helping you be a better person. one who does the ida pro and/or cheat engine, you lose. he can not be deletable but also defeat himself. numbers are numbers. you aren't better than anyone. enjoy your lulzy or should i say lazy, system of judgment.
    ^ Top  
  25. hiver Augur Dumbfuck White Knight

hiver
    Darling, i suggest applying some hemorrhoid balm for that raging hole i no doubt caused recently. It will work much better than posting illiterate drivel.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)