Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence December Update

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
combat animations are very satisfying when you manage to critically kill some dude

In Bioware/Beth games this was derided, but since it's AoD, it's MAJESTIC AWESOME!!!!

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
It was awesome in Fallout and Arcanum, too.

The difference is that you don't lose control of your character and either become invincible or take a beating while you're looking 'cool' in those games.

Pay attention.

EDIT: Though that's true of Bethesda games, I don't know what you're talking about Bioware for, but it's been a while for me.

User was nabbed fit

When I read "Update" I thought 'patch'... which excited me as I figured AoD might have finally come out since the last time I checked a few months ago. Nope.

:(

hiver

arent you spoiled?

Demo is coming out next month. Probably a few days after Phobos Grunt falls on your city and wipes you all out.
:)

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Skittles said:
It was awesome in Fallout and Arcanum, too.

The difference is that you don't lose control of your character and either become invincible or take a beating while you're looking 'cool' in those games.

Pay attention.

EDIT: Though that's true of Bethesda games, I don't know what you're talking about Bioware for, but it's been a while for me.

When you obviously never killed a fucking troll in DA:O, doing the AWESUM kill animation while the rest of your group is being hacked to bits and you just have to sit there and watch...

Oh and it's not just losing control, people have laughed at the gibs flying and ott kills in other games regardless of whether you lose control or not.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
A simple crit kill animation in TURN BASED cannot compare to ultra-elaborate kill animations in real time.

Take one of the simplest and yet most satisfactory animations in history: guys flying backwards after a shotgun blast in Fallout Tactics. Simple and yet so tasteful, so good, so matter-of-factly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNJugOh_vw&t=1m18s
'crites gonna crit. Fallout's gory deaths were a selling point (From the box: "Victims don't just perish-they get cut in half, melt into a pile of goo and explode like a blood sausage into chunks of flesh" :yeah:) and bloody mess was a trait for a reason.

Wunderpurps

Educated
When you hack on the trolls for about 6 minutes without any reaction and then suddenly that last hit makes it explode like a pinata it is unbearably retarded.

Being gratuitous once in a while is fine but unless you intend it to be a joke (and in some small sense I believe it was meant to be in fallout) then you should be careful with that kind of stuff.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
commie said:
When you obviously never killed a fucking troll in DA:O, doing the AWESUM kill animation while the rest of your group is being hacked to bits and you just have to sit there and watch...

Oh and it's not just losing control, people have laughed at the gibs flying and ott kills in other games regardless of whether you lose control or not.

Mea culpa, I haven't.

Maybe it's a sign of my maturity, but I do laugh at that shit in FO, Arcanum and even BG. That's part of the appeal. People who laugh at it derisively because it's juvenile can ram their gritty realism up their asses.

Johannes

Arcane
Roguey said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrNJugOh_vw&t=1m18s
'crites gonna crit. Fallout's gory deaths were a selling point (From the box: "Victims don't just perish-they get cut in half, melt into a pile of goo and explode like a blood sausage into chunks of flesh" :yeah:) and bloody mess was a trait for a reason.
Nice Wasteland reference with the blood sausage :D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mozgoëbstvo said:
Bloody mess was a BORING trait precisely because it made critical deaths cheap.
Nice subjective opinion there. I remember reading posts from kids who enjoyed bloody mess and I'm sure there would have been an outcry had they removed it in Fallout 2.

Wunderpurps said:
When you hack on the trolls for about 6 minutes without any reaction and then suddenly that last hit makes it explode like a pinata it is unbearably retarded.
But each hit makes it lose like a pint of blood, as nonsensical as that is. There's your reaction.

Severian Silk

Liberal use of sarcasm and quite "harsh" in many ways.

Really? :roll:

People typically just end up making themselves look like giant douchebags when they attempt stuff like this. Bad humor ruins a game like nothing else. Being meta, breaking the fourth wall, and all that...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Severian Silk said:
Bad humor ruins a game like nothing else. Being meta, breaking the fourth wall, and all that...

There is no such thing as bad or good humor, you know.

'cept Adam Sandler, he is universally shit.

Chances are, what you find extremely hilarious and entertaining is extremely boring for someone else. Should game makers strive to make games that spark no reaction at all in the players, just to be on the safe side?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Yeah, but assuming he's talking about irony, not sarcasm, he's making the distinction between something that's ironical within the story logic, context and characters of the game and something ironical only in the context of games and stories in general or any other 'meta' context. While that's not necessarily a cut and dry difference, it's an objective difference and he's pretty clear about what it is that he's objecting to.

And you're right that some people might enjoy the latter just the same, but come on, how popular was Frayed Knights on the Codex?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
AGE OF MOTHERFUCKING DECADENCE
:yeah:

commie said:
combat animations are very satisfying when you manage to critically kill some dude

In Bioware/Beth games this was derided, but since it's AoD, it's MAJESTIC AWESOME!!!!

If you pick something apart and judge it on its own merits, you might think this the only way to proprely critique something - but there's something to be said about the other side which you're implicitly accusing to be arbitrary and nonsensical. When you pick something apart, you broke it down when it was whole.

The animations might suck in both games, but suddenly it looks good in AoD. Why? Because the whole is better. Outrageous, isn't it? I broke down logic, what are we ever going to do? There's something to be said about not judging things so abstractly that you break them apart all the time in little components. You should try it sometime, I'm sure your life will be improved for it.

It's because these kinds of judgements are cognitive in nature. But we're talking aesthetics here. You're not using the right tools for the job. It's hard to be untermensch, I know.

That said and done, since I'm not sure how much I trust VD's taste, it remains to be said if AoD is going to be more than the sum of its parts. I have hope, but we'll see.

Cef

Novice
why did you not return my mail? was i not qualified?

hiver

Lets get this back to where it should be.

The more i read how testers cannot win fights, the more i like it. The more i read how they die, and die, and die - the better it feels.
The more the game kicks them in the balls the more i love it.

And the more you cannot play through separate gameplay designed for different character builds the more awesome it is.

Sure, some of the impressions dont sound so swell because they arent described so well or some parts maybe actually arent that good - its difficult to tell what the exact issue is without playing or knowing more personally.
And it may very well turn out i wont like some situation myself, wont agree with decision made or whatever, but who cares? Im not expecting every little detail to be just perfect to my mind set or some philosophy.

Very good to see some side content added too.

LiWe

Educated
Lets get this back to where it should be.

The more i read how testers cannot win fights, the more i like it. The more i read how they die, and die, and die - the better it feels.
The more the game kicks them in the balls the more i love it.

And the more you cannot play through separate gameplay designed for different character builds the more awesome it is.

Sure, some of the impressions dont sound so swell because they arent described so well or some parts maybe actually arent that good - its difficult to tell what the exact issue is without playing or knowing more personally.
And it may very well turn out i wont like some situation myself, wont agree with decision made or whatever, but who cares? Im not expecting every little detail to be just perfect to my mind set or some philosophy.

Very good to see some side content added too.

subjective but also ignorant. you must understand, unqualified testers aren't helping you be a better person. one who does the ida pro and/or cheat engine, you lose. he can not be deletable but also defeat himself. numbers are numbers. you aren't better than anyone. enjoy your lulzy or should i say lazy, system of judgment.

hiver

Darling, i suggest applying some hemorrhoid balm for that raging hole i no doubt caused recently. It will work much better than posting illiterate drivel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom