Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Age of Decadence August Update

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower Studios; Vault Dweller

Iron Tower Studio's The Age of Decadence received its second bi-weekly update on August 19th. The following update was supposed to come at the end of the month and introduce the game's final area. However, in a new development update posted on the ITS forums last week, Vault Dweller announced that the update had (surprise) been delayed, although it's not because of the area, which is already complete:

We're working on the temple (the final location) and the combat AI update, which will allow your enemies to use a wider range of attacks and respond more appropriately. It was a big chunk of work that took months and was completed only a few days ago. I must admit that I had reservations about including it in the upcoming update (last thing we need is breaking pretty much everything related to combat less than 2 months before the release), but it seems to be working quite well, so in it goes.

However, there are some issues (naturally) that we’re still working on. Two weeks should be enough, so we’ll push the next update from the end of the month to Sep 10. The temple will also benefit from extra love and attention.

140313.png

^ work in progress, the final level; avert your eyes if you don't want to see any spoilers

The dialogues and text are done, all that's left to do on the writing side are the endings. We have 12 endings requiring unique text (13 with the already released god ending), although if you break it down to fundamentally different decisions there are 5 main endings. Hope you'll find them to your liking.

I won't be around next week, so if you have any questions, ask them now.
So does that mean the game is going to be late now? According to a Vault Dweller post on RPGWatch, the answer is no. It's still scheduled for an October release, with the exact date to be announced when the update comes out, a week from now.

Septaryeth

Augur
TL:DR Didn't read so I can savor the sweet, sweet taste of release when it's actually, well, released.

:dance:

Just out of curiosity, how big is the full game now, compare to the demo?
I know Vault Dweller emphasized on the fact that this game has a focus on branching and different outcomes from your decisions.
And I remember it says somewhere that the demo is about 1/3 (it's one chapter, and there are three chapters in total, right?).
But after seeing so much updates it made me wonder if it has gotten much, much larger, not to mention all the C&C.

Great timing too, SR:HK was way too short and I don't know what else to fill in my free time from September to October. Any suggestions?

Anyway...
:d1p:

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Just out of curiosity, how big is the full game now, compare to the demo?
I know Vault Dweller emphasized on the fact that this game has a focus on branching and different outcomes from your decisions.
And I remember it says somewhere that the demo is about 1/3 (it's one chapter, and there are three chapters in total, right?).

The full game has two more cities plus 15 locations more for exploration. You won't see everything in single run, of course.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I dunno why they're so keen on this october release date. September would've been nice, true, but october? Do they really want to brawl with both Wasteland 2 and Original Sin Director Cuts? Because those are for roughly the same audience, people are anticipating them strongly and, well, you can guess what the non-hardcore AoD fans will choose. I understand that it's a psychological thing and there won't be too much spots for good releases afterwards, but this october thing still looks a bit suicidal.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I dunno why they're so keen on this october release date. September would've been nice, true, but october? Do they really want to brawl with both Wasteland 2 and Original Sin Director Cuts? Because those are for roughly the same audience, people are anticipating them strongly and, well, you can guess what the non-hardcore AoD fans will choose. I understand that it's a psychological thing and there won't be too much spots for good releases afterwards, but this october thing still looks a bit suicidal.
They won't release the game in october anyway. Looking at past experiences, they will just delay it again and again and again. :troll:

likaq

Arcane

If not october then when?
They can't release in november because big AAA release : skyrim with guns. Every site and youtube personality will only care about skyrim with guns and ignore niche aod as shitty indie crap unlike awesome skyrim with guns.
December?

Last edited:
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
They can't release in november because big AAA release : fallout 4. Every site and youtube personality will only care about fal4 and ignore niche aod as shitty indie crap unlike awesome fallout 4.
December?

There's a Fallout 4? They skipped Fallout 3 or are they counting New Vegas as 3?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I agree that it's not ideal but only one of these three games is brand new.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
They can't release in november because big AAA release : fallout 4. Every site and youtube personality will only care about fal4 and ignore niche aod as shitty indie crap unlike awesome fallout 4.
December?

Umm, Fallout 4 makes no competition to the AoD. They live in two entirely different worlds. I mean, you think all the fallout 3 kiddies give two flying fucks about AoD? D:OS more or less caters to the oldschool audience. Wasteland 2 exists solely because of it. But F4? Sure, some oldschool fans will give it attention. But mostly its audience is drastically different so it shouldn't really matter.

November should do much finer. They'll also introduce more polish at that point - the game got vastly unhinged by the recent patch changes and that really needs to be addressed.

likaq

Arcane
Umm, Fallout 4 makes no competition to the AoD. They live in two entirely different worlds. I mean, you think all the fallout 3 kiddies give two flying fucks about AoD? D:OS more or less caters to the oldschool audience. Wasteland 2 exists solely because of it. But F4? Sure, some oldschool fans will give it attention. But mostly its audience is drastically different so it shouldn't really matter.

November should do much finer. They'll also introduce more polish at that point - the game got vastly unhinged by the recent patch changes and that really needs to be addressed.

audience is drastically different, i agree. But my post was about mainstream gaming sites. And mainstream gaming sites will ignore aod if release date will be too close to skyrim with guns.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
audience is drastically different, i agree. But my post was about mainstream gaming sites. And mainstream gaming sites will ignore aod if release date will be too close to skyrim with guns.
Mainstream gaming sites will ignore aod anyway so what's your point?

Mech

Cipher
So is the game actually fun now? Masochists need not reply.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Mainstream gaming sites will ignore aod anyway so what's your point?
Maybe American gaming sites but Polish (CD-Action, that also goes for a printed magazine with 140k circulation plus gry-online.pl) and Russian will definitely cover it. Plus sites like RPS, Gamebanshee and other smaller sites focused on RPG will definitely mention it. But it's also certain that Fallout 4 will get way more coverage, e.g. Serpents in The Staglands got 1 page while Pillars of Eternity/Dragon Age got 6 (yes, comparing PoE with DA is intentional).

Anyway, once Skyrim with guns will come out, every other cRPG will be eclipsed by it (only in terms of media coverage of course) so releasing AoD before that is definitely a good move. Even major gaming sites might consider covering a new game instead of making another F4 preview. Heck, they even might consider AoD as an appetizer before the real king of post-apocalyptic games (*/me barfs).

VladimirK

Learned
So is the game actually fun now? Masochists need not reply.
Not really, no. It can be fixed though, with some mild amount of effort. Working on a third-party dialogue editor right now...

likaq

Arcane
Maybe American gaming sites but Polish (CD-Action, that also goes for a printed magazine with 140k circulation plus gry-online.pl) and Russian will definitely cover it. Plus sites like RPS, Gamebanshee and other smaller sites focused on RPG will definitely mention it. But it's also certain that Fallout 4 will get way more coverage, e.g. Serpents in The Staglands got 1 page while Pillars of Eternity/Dragon Age got 6 (yes, comparing PoE with DA is intentional).

Anyway, once Skyrim with guns will come out, every other cRPG will be eclipsed by it (only in terms of media coverage of course) so releasing AoD before that is definitely a good move. Even major gaming sites might consider covering a new game instead of making another F4 preview. Heck, they even might consider AoD as an appetizer before the real king of post-apocalyptic games (*/me barfs).

Ugh.
Both gry-online and cd-action are so retarded it's not even funny.
If they cover aod they will definitely shit on aod. There is no way that they will say something positive or even neutral.
And if you want to pretend otherwise, i have a nice quote for you from cd-action fallout 3 preview :

If you think "Fallout 3 is not Fallout anymore", remember the conversation with NPCs in the previous games, which were always presented face-to-face. I dare say that only because of technical limitations Fallout didn't use FPP from the beginning. There is no better way of quickly identifying with the character you roleplay than looking through their eyes, from their perspective...

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
likaq
Both these sites are in Bethesda's pocket so yeah, they will definitely praise Fallout 4 just as they did with 3. GOL is way worse though, I've been banned years ago after writing a long list of idiocies in Fallout 3 and pointing out that they're praising a game which they advertise everywhere (F3 was in set as the background of GOL site, one of the reasons to use adblock).

Anyway, in CD-Action there are some people who appreciate a good RPG. You've obviously missed their AoD preview: http://imgbox.com/jSoYU4Cw
"Role-playing of the highest degree. Hats off" is the complete opposite of "it's shit". Plus they've praised SitS, W2, etc.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik

True words. AND I'm starting to worry about Underrail release too. It will have the same problems.

They can't release in november because big AAA release : skyrim with guns. Every site and youtube personality will only care about skyrim with guns and ignore niche aod as shitty indie crap unlike awesome skyrim with guns.
December?

If not october and not november, then - Winter or Spring?
I know it hurts, but we should understand, that clumsy release in unsuccessful date will sink those games or devs.

Exactly. There is such thing like overfeefing with RPG. There are many people who loves games like Fallout (1, 2), Arcanum, P:T and such, and they also love (or like) to play Skyreem, Bullshitllout 3 etc.
Do we want them to choose - this or that? Don't think so.

Maybe American gaming sites but Polish (CD-Action, that also goes for a printed magazine with 140k circulation plus gry-online.pl) and Russian will definitely cover it.

I have to honestly say that Russian audience, in part what is called like "hardcore" are constantly evaporates last 10 years.
Russian gamedev is dead, so the community dying out.
It may seem that these things aren't related, but they are.
It's hard to find (populated) sites , where you can find some activity about Serpent in the Staglands e.g.
But they have regular updated theme about shit like DA:I haha. Bunch of faggots.

Plus sites like RPS, Gamebanshee and other smaller sites focused on RPG will definitely mention it. But it's also certain that Fallout 4 will get way more coverage, e.g. Serpents in The Staglands got 1 page while Pillars of Eternity/Dragon Age got 6 (yes, comparing PoE with DA is intentional).

Absolutely true.

Or even better after, when audience get hungry for RPG again, when they want something more deep then Bullshitlout 4.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
So many games, so little money. Be thankful I am saving my money on this instead of metal gear v.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I have to honestly say that Russian audience, in part what is called like "hardcore" are constantly evaporates last 10 years.
Russian gamedev is dead, so the community dying out.

Interesting that was never my perception, I always thought Russians were a pretty heavy pc crowd, like the krauts, relatively speaking ofcourse since consoles are strong anywhere for obvious reasons.

Although I would not be surprised, after all this is kinda of a pc renaissance we are living and the only thing that comes to mind isntead of those wacky tanks simswe get F2P WoT and War Thunder etc.

I blame Putin.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
We were, and we are, I just meant "pool dries up", although we are still more hardcore than major portion of other countries, happily being cuntsoletard is expensive, while being not rich is good for your mental health if you forced to use PC.
But popamole stuff attack, attacking PC from every angle (also wtf is popamole? )))))))))))))))))), just tonight someone with corroded mind said about so called "Fallout 4" that only "voiced text" can be called like "dialogues", and for example in "Fallout 4" it is dialogues, and in Planescape: Torment it is just "footcloth with text", "wall of text" and definitely not a dialogue. And it was not a trolling lol, I even make a fucking screenshot.

I blame Putin too but for different reasons.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom