Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Agarest: Generations of War

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
DD is a awesome game, but full of design choices that only work on consoles... porting it would require some effort, and Capcom is clearly too lazy for that. :(

Just pre-purchased fools. Bring me the gameplay that will likely leave behind a pining for Thousand Arms. Oh the days of yore...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It has a deep console logic, that would either have to be changed or totally suck on a PC... i.e. there's tons of skills per class, but you can only have 6 six equipped at once, 3 on the main weapon, 3 on the secondary weapon:

6ae1c40e7d28e0952c8d5f36e4bb35d7c4e2ca14.jpg__576x480_q85.jpg

This is due having to hold R1 or L1 and then pressing □, ∆ or O button to cast (X is to jump). So, when porting it to PC, would they keep the artificial 6 skills limit for balance/retardness, or would they remake the entire UI &game logic to hold more skills? Capcom chooses different, they choose NOTHING. :P

But yeah, a shitty port that requires you to play with a controller would still be better than no port at all...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Limiting skills to be used isn't just a controller consideration (it's easy enough to make schemes that allow for far more, with various toggles and combined keys. If anything, I'd say a controller is superior for the number of feasible ready inputs. Something like armored core would be a nightmare on pc, you'd need to map 20 keys) but also for balance. If you just had all the skills, you'd have one of every element, plus all your buffs and debuffs and defensive moves. It'd be insane. To balance it they'd need to make each skill individually weak so using all of them at once wasn't overpowering. Which would suck balls.

Disabled all the powerup DLC, 'cause holy shit. I'd be crushing armies on hard by myself with that stuff. My first couple battles raise two points;

-Does there need to be a 'move phase' and 'attack phase'? Why not move and attack in one phase?

-The addition of a normal, minimum AP basic attack would be appreciated for the generic members of my party or for when I just want to get things over with. Skills, skills, skills. Menu clunkage.

This is due having to hold R1 or L1 and then pressing □, ∆ or O button to cast (X is to jump). So, when porting it to PC, would they keep the artificial 6 skills limit for balance/retardness, or would they remake the entire UI &game logic to hold more skills? Capcom chooses different, they choose NOTHING. :P

Can't they just map the button combinations to 1-6 on the numpad and call it a day?

R1 + square = 1
R1 + triangle = 2

etc.

alternatively, yeah, they could just do it like Dark Souls and put a "controller STRONGLY recommended" on the game's description. :M

Drakron

Arcane
Yes, its murder on the dance floor, Jesus ... then again I suspect they are just OP in generation 1 and end up being "meh" in generation 3-4.

As for moving and attack, yes ... because combination attacks, I had it on auto but turned it as I was getting tired of then blowing their wads on REALLY overkilling one enemy (serious, it gets ridiculous), anyway you need to position your team so they have a line so you can pull off combination attacks that is pretty much "6 characters wailing on the boss ... AT ONCE", also had to learn how the thing works that is not that easy, there is also other stuff like fields so its definitely required.

I only played so far to get the all 3 to start the catfight over Leo.

mondblut

Arcane
Looks like a cross between FF:Tactics type combat mixed with true jrpg story and out of combat gameplay.

jrpgs have out of combat gameplay?

:what:

Never played Persona 3-4 (among others)?

Are you trying to insult me?

... plus Chrono Trigger has a sequence at the beginning where you play festival games.

Right, a bunch of irrelevant minigames in between combat grind and cutscenes. Gameplay galore.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
So, what's the verdict on this puppy? Should I put it on my to play list? It's on sale on steam right now, should I get it or wait until I have done my Grimrock lets play and then played MMX and Antharion?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i had fun it isn't as easy as i thought it would be.

RK47

Patron
Encounters in Agarest
While encounters are random, you will face a fixed number of them in world map because travelling involves moving one tile at a time.
E.g You are in Town A and need to reach Town B - There are 3 tiles between them. You need to clear three random encounters before you can reach Town B.

Exploration
A few tiles contains an Exploration Zone. For quest reason, you might be sent there. Or need to pass through there. The thing is, you can still return there to kill the infinite encounters.
In exploration zones, encounters are handled like classic JRPG. You walk around in a dungeon/outdoor area and if you trigger a random encounter - screen fades to black, before transitioning into combat.
But there's a huge difference between world map and exploration zone. There is no save point and damage taken is retained from one encounter to the next. And if a party member is KO'ed when combat ends, you will lose him/her for the rest of the dungeon.

Therefore, if you are revisiting an exploration zone and is simply interested in finding hidden chests of treasure - don't delay. Once you get the loot, get the fuck out to save game. I got wiped before after opening a chest to a high level spawn. They tend to spawn near chests.

RK47

Patron
OK, wtf is the game's idea of introducing new recruits severely underleveled. The additional party member isn't gonna get to play much unless I put them in a grind dungeon run.

:rage:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've played a ways into it, have 6 party members now. Seems decent. They're definitely easing me into all the mechanics at a snail's pace, but it's probably going to be an incredibly long game, so I don't mind too much if they piss away the first 3% of it catering to retards that wouldn't read a manual if they needed it to save their lives. Hopefully I get the ability to buy/make skills soon, so I can start customizing things more.

The difficulty is a pleasant surprise, even this early the enemies are quite able to kill off characters before you can react. Though part of that seems to be the fact that mages are incredibly shit. Maybe they're more useful later. But from what I can tell, defensive positioning is nearly useless, since the enemies have access to the same linked attacks you do, so a highly mobile unit can let them attack anywhere on the map with 2-3 units at once, easily enough for a one turn kill on a mage. Maybe later you get skills that let you defend them or something.

The whole ridiculous overkill attack chain thing is interesting. The animations are a bit long, but you can turn them off it it bothers you. And actually judging how to effectively take down an enemy (and overkill it for bonus loot) takes some thought.

The story so far has been very meh. Chosen ones, evil empire, mysterious strangers, yada yada. I've spent more time smacking things than talking though, so I'm not too upset about it. And the various currencies (there are like... 5 of them) seem to be in rather short supply, so I look forward to making decisions about where to spend stuff later on once everything is unlocked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom