Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware After Reset - vaporware Fallout clone

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
10559898_298881766960757_5698669403763389215_n.png
10599416_298881806960753_8495644943574664845_n.png

https://www.facebook.com/afterreset

wtf?

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
I check the kickstarter page from time to time just for LOLs. About W2:
Guys, it turned out to be very interesting! I.e., this game, of course doesn’t have anything in common with either Fallout 1&2&T, or with After Reset RPG
I see what you did there, MrNixon!

CitizenXd

Novice
FeeNominal story of drama, passion and ineptitude combined with the Russian mafia scam of gimme money for my hopes dreams and passions unfolding on SHTEAM....

Six threads locked on the first two pages you say? Drama...and a comic book novel as DLC !

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338453

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Impression from IncGamers' Peter Parrish http://www.incgamers.com/2015/03/richard-nixons-after-reset-far-too-early-access-impressions

Richard Nixon’s After Reset: Far Too Early Access Impressions

Other 90s-styled RPGs have used Early Access to fine effect. Divinity: Original Singauged opinions on that game’s opening area (a term which doesn’t quite convey the 15-20 hours you can easily spend there) and attributed “the level of polish and complexity present in [Original Sin’s] current form” to the Early Access process. Wasteland 2gathered feedback on their own Early Access beta, which consisted of the first half of the game.

So Early Access isn’t entirely the problem here. The problem is Valve’s casual attitude (new rules or not) about what gets on there, and studios taking this route before their game is even out of its foetal stages. I’m loathe to put the primary blame on anybody who pays for this and gets burned, because while there’d be some responsibility on myshoulders if I bought this, I’m also someone who writes about this stuff for a living. I’ve been around the Steam block a few times. I know the warning signs.

For people newer to Steam, used to more traditional exchanges of money for goods and services, the concept of shelling out $50 for a game with barely anything in it that might be out by 2018 is going to be pretty alien. They might not even consider it a thing which could happen. Until it does. Then it’s off to Valve’s byzantine customer support system for a shot at the Steam refund lottery.

At the time of writing, Richard Nixon’s After Reset gives you a menu screen, an intro, a character creation tool and a slow, boring tour around a small set of medical facility rooms. For $50. If it comes back later in the year with a little bit more game to show then it still probably won’t be worth $50, but at least it’ll be able to make a better case for itself.

The game might, eventually, turn out to be … something you can actually play. I don’t know, I can’t predict the future. But there’s also a significant chance that an RPG project as broad in scope as this one will not be completed. The Kickstarter (by its own admission) only raised funds for a prologue chapter, so who knows where the rest of the money will come from. Hopefully the studio aren’t banking on Early Access to pay their way through the rest. That way lies madness, probable failure and direct contravention of another Early Access guideline: “Don’t launch in Early Access if you can’t afford to develop with very few or no sales.”

If Richard Nixon’s After Reset is still around in 2016-2017 (assuming the world hasn’t gone through an actual apocalyptic event by that point,) maybe check back with it and see how the Early Access version is coming along. At the moment there’s very, very little to be gained by playing the game which couldn’t be learned by just looking at the screenshots in this article. It is, frankly, taking the piss.

Old Hans

Arcane
And people actually bought it. It's so insane. Steam forum is full of some gullible dopes

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
They have no shame. :lol:
11209550_406417196207213_3273848820296356692_n.png

Prototyping Cave Entrance. Guess which of original F is the inspiration

It will be shit (if it'll be ever finished, which is highly unlikely), but at least drama is mildly entertaining.

DramaticPopcorn

Last edited by a moderator:

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
So does anyone still remember this game? Does anyone wonder why there is no updates in the thread or visible progress in EA? There is no info on its Steam page or official forums or groups in vk or facebook or twitter, kickstarter updates are private in "only for bakers" mode. To my surprise not so long ago I found a meaty article on russian tech\geek portal habrahabr by no less but mr.Nixon himself! It's an amazing inside of the disaster:
- The day before kcikstarter ended the lost lead programmer.
- THe guy who should collect money from campaign cheated for about 16k$
- Mr. Nixon found out his main level designer is an incompetent fuck and from now on will do design levels himself
- Mr. Nixon lost about a half of the game assets due an ssd failure because true professionals don't do backups. Blames Windows.
- By april of 2015 all kickstarter money had been spent
- Mr. Nixon was quite surprised that good programmers cost a lot, and he has no money.
Summary: Mr.Nixon, a very successful international businessman as he call himself is a dumbfuck.

Link to the article: https://habrahabr.ru/post/314210/
Tips for indie developers from guru: https://habrahabr.ru/post/316834/
The official site of the game afterreset.com "currently suspended".

ArchAngel

Arcane
So does anyone still remember this game? Does anyone wonder why there is no updates in the thread or visible progress in EA? There is no info on its Steam page or official forums or groups in vk or facebook or twitter, kickstarter updates are private in "only for bakers" mode. To my surprise not so long ago I found a meaty article on russian tech\geek portal habrahabr by no less but mr.Nixon himself! It's an amazing inside of the disaster:
- Mr. Nixon found out his main level designer is an incompetent fuck and from now on will do design levels himself
- Mr. Nixon lost about a half of the game assets due an ssd failure because true professionals don't do backups. Blames Windows.
- Mr. Nixon was quite surprised that good programmers cost a lot, and he has no money.
Summary: Mr.Nixon, a very successful international businessman as he call himself is a dumbfuck.

It was obvious he was a dumbfuck even without this info. But this explains it even more lol

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
It was obvious he was a dumbfuck even without this info. But this explains it even more lol

Yeah, never trust anyone who tags his own name in front of his game's title. I mean, how obnoxious can one get.

Edit: Holy shit, people actually backed this at $720 on Kickstarter.

DramaticPopcorn

Who would have thought that a compulsive liar and egomaniac with no actual experience in game development would not single-handedly deliever his very own "fallout killer".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom