Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

After AOD sells ten million copies...

Tytus

Arcane
who the fuck is Shepard???o_O

Are you retarded or something? Were you living under a rock? It's a character class from Ultima!

Shepherd.gif

goo golem

Educated
The game will have 3 difficulty modes: Easy (enemies die when you approach them), Normal (enemies die when you hit them) and Hardcore (enemies die on the third strike). While some people might be upset to see the Easy mode in the game, they would be able to play the game on Hardcore and experience the ultimate challenge and badassary.
I hope you have plans to properly conceal the Hardcore difficulty mode, otherwise you risk completely obliterating young bodies and minds. Much like the prophet Ken did with his 1999 time machine, both Sisyphean and sublime, that has since been the subject of at least six hundred PhD dissertations and also put on golden discs sent into space (DLC only available if you are in orbit).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can you make the consequences to my choices optional VD? I mean I can pretend perfectly fine that there are consequences and that's real roleplaying anyways. I don't see why you have to restrict me.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
3 points that might help any aspiring developers.
  • We should be forced to complete the game with lower tier difficulties to unlock hardcore mode.Otherwise your game will be too short.
  • Always online is important,we should be able to compare the size of our dicks 24/7.
  • Fps or 3rd person is a must,other genres are for retarted dorks and grandpa's.

MCA
an infinite cloud space, so you will always see more containers with loot up ahead and will never want to stop.

Makes me wonder how long the average player could keep on playing a game like that, without any breaks for anything else. Imagine the starting dungeon in Daggerfall, Oblivion or any dungeon in Skyrim just keeps on going forever.

Then I remembered: playing Battlespire felt exactly like that. I stumbled upon the game entirely coincidentally, with no prior knowledge of it. I saw "An Elder Scrolls Legend" on the box and went nuts: "DAGGERFALL SEQUEL OMG OMG AWESOME GOTTA PLAY IT NAU!". So when I started playing, I thought that you would eventually break out of the dungeon and make to the big open game world, just like in Daggerfall. After all, the box had two screenshots of outside:

gqY2R4Q.jpg

And I kept going and going. and the outside world never came, up until the last level. I still remember the painful rejection of figuring out that it was the last level. Ah, the magical naivete of a 15 year old.

Anyway, an endless dungeon would actually be an intriguing design. You can go into it and leave it any time you want. An ancient underworld, perhaps. It would simply go on (seemingly or maybe literally) forever, always more things to find out, more existing alongside everything else in the game. Only the player wouldn't know how large it is, or if it's infinite. Would be quite the test of impulse and perseverence.

MCA
Anyway, do you have plans to revise or change the combat system for that party based follow-up in the AoD setting, Vault Dweller ? What do you think you might change and how? Any party abilities or other complimentary abilities? Like formation, flanking and whatnot? Expeditions: Conquistador did particularly well those, for instance. I think Eisenwald does something similar but I'm not certain.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Anyway, do you have plans to revise or change the combat system for that party based follow-up in the AoD setting...
We've been tweaking and evolving the combat system since we've released the combat demo, so I'm sure we'll make some changes for a new game.

What do you think you might change and how? Any party abilities or other complimentary abilities? Like formation, flanking and whatnot? Expeditions: Conquistador did particularly well those, for instance. I think Eisenwald does something similar but I'm not certain.
No idea yet. Formation? It was handy in the IE games, but in a TB game? Maybe I'm missing something, so feel free to enlighten me. Flanking? We already have (in R4) penalties to dodge/block if you're surrounded (the more enemies you have around you, the higher the penalty).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Formation in a tb game will at least affect positioning of team during ambushes, if nothing else.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Are you going to channel your profits and experience into another game?
You betcha. We've learned so much working on the game... For instance:

- challenging combat is not fun
- heroes kicks ass, they don't die 10 times per fight
- tactics are gay, real men click on enemies until they die
- skill checks suck because they limit my options
- too much text
- where are the motherfucking chests and barrels with loot, aka environmental interactivity?
- why do NPCs lie to me?
- tire textures are wrong

So, our next game, inspired by Bioshock Infinity, will take place in a floating city, up in the sky. We'll keep the Roman theme, of course, so it will be called Sky Rome. You will be able to explore the city and the clouds, which will be filled with chests, jars. Our goal is to create an infinite cloud space, so you will always see more containers with loot up ahead and will never want to stop. The game will have 3 difficulty modes: Easy (enemies die when you approach them), Normal (enemies die when you hit them) and Hardcore (enemies die on the third strike). While some people might be upset to see the Easy mode in the game, they would be able to play the game on Hardcore and experience the ultimate challenge and badassary.

Might be infringing on Bastion copyright.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Are you going to channel your profits and experience into another game?
You betcha. We've learned so much working on the game... For instance:

- challenging combat is not fun
- heroes kicks ass, they don't die 10 times per fight
- tactics are gay, real men click on enemies until they die
- skill checks suck because they limit my options
- too much text
- where are the motherfucking chests and barrels with loot, aka environmental interactivity?
- why do NPCs lie to me?
- tire textures are wrong

So, our next game, inspired by Bioshock Infinity, will take place in a floating city, up in the sky. We'll keep the Roman theme, of course, so it will be called Sky Rome. You will be able to explore the city and the clouds, which will be filled with chests, jars. Our goal is to create an infinite cloud space, so you will always see more containers with loot up ahead and will never want to stop. The game will have 3 difficulty modes: Easy (enemies die when you approach them), Normal (enemies die when you hit them) and Hardcore (enemies die on the third strike). While some people might be upset to see the Easy mode in the game, they would be able to play the game on Hardcore and experience the ultimate challenge and badassary.
Man, you forgot the Vault Dweller Butthurt mode where every time you try to get to those barrels full of loot you are teleported to the other side of the map inside of a dungeon full of explosive barrels, where the only way to get out is to try to loot them and die in the process. :lol:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
One question: Is the teleportation thing final or just something for testing?

MCA
Harcore Urban Survivor DLC: Stroll through the the streets of Teron and many other decadent places without the helping hand of Dialogue God and learn urban survival the hard way. The TRUE Oldschool Hardcore RolePlaying Experience way!

MCA
Anyway, do you have plans to revise or change the combat system for that party based follow-up in the AoD setting...
We've been tweaking and evolving the combat system since we've released the combat demo, so I'm sure we'll make some changes for a new game.

What do you think you might change and how? Any party abilities or other complimentary abilities? Like formation, flanking and whatnot? Expeditions: Conquistador did particularly well those, for instance. I think Eisenwald does something similar but I'm not certain.
No idea yet. Formation? It was handy in the IE games, but in a TB game? Maybe I'm missing something, so feel free to enlighten me. Flanking? We already have (in R4) penalties to dodge/block if you're surrounded (the more enemies you have around you, the higher the penalty).

When you are surrounded, do the attackers get a bonus to hit you as well or do you also get a penalty to attack any of them?

Formations could add group modifiers to actions and group actions across multiple characters. Eg. whether turn order would be Fallout style (per character based on Sequence, regardless of hostile or enemy) or party style (player then computer, repeat), a group of characters in formation could move, attack or defend as one unit. Eg. a formation of two player characters vs. two NPCs:

|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|P|P|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|E|E|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|

( P: Player, E: Enemy )

If either enemy makes a move towards the player's formation, he or she will have to deal with it like a single unit, with all of their advantages and disadvantages.

Formation could be harder to attack and block upfront as a formation would likely have bonus to hit, block and defend.

Approaching a formation could be more likely to invoke an AoO from the formation upfront.

Fighting in formation might require a skill to adjust bonuses and penalties and AP costs where the formation is only as good as the average relevant skill output of the characters in it, or maybe the highest or I don't know.

A formation might be easier to flank. One enemy might approach the formation from an exposed side while the other tries to keep it busy upfront.

When you attack a formation, you could choose to try to break the formation or hurt the character closest to you. Routing a formation could impose massive penalties to the characters and massive bonuses to the attackers in the vicinity.

Hurting a character in a formation would degrade its performance.

All of the above would vary based on type of the formation and the equipment.

Without the formation, you would naturally have more flexibility, eg: a swordsman and a spearman against you. Spearman is trying to keep you at bay and the swordsman is ready to attack if you breach spearman's offense/defense. You don't even get to attack anyone unless you get past the spear's range first but when you do, swordman could likely get an AoO.

|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|P|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|E|E|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|

Meanwhile, the swordsman can actually close the distance to attack you first, without invoking an AoO from you because the spearman got him covered. Actually, both can assault you simultaneously.

|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|P|_|_|
|_|_|_|E|_|
|_|_|E|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|

So, practicing common sense, you don't go up against such a duo on your own without backup. So you set a formation against them, or maybe you don't:

|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|P|P|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|E|E|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|

Just some musings on the ways it could work. One example from Conquistador is that the soldiers can shield another unit and the damage received by either is shared between the two. Sharing the damage part may not fit the combat model of AoD but the base mechanic is sound and could be expanded upon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom