Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ADOM released on Steam

Arthandas

Prophet
isn't it similar to the standard D&D?
No. You don't forget spells in D&D, you only lose charges which recover after resting. In ADOM you have to manually re-learn the spell from a spellbook. If you don't have the spellbook, you can't learn it again (also spellbooks are destroyed after reading them X times).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I am in favor of this, true harcore games are a niche that can't sustain itself so give them for free and make the drooling retards pay for easy mode and shit like that.
Vault Dweller what do you think?
Not a big fan of this approach. It's true that hardcore games are a niche, but such games are usually made by small teams that can easily survive on 1% of the AAA sales.

getter77

Augur
No matter what he did, Biskup would've/has gotten flak for any even semi-commercial approach---for a number of loud folks, anything involving money and ADOM is anathema tantamount to some grand and vague betrayal of something something and a practically fundamentalist approach to Roguelikes that doesn't stand up at all to historic or "ideological" scrutiny. The little Steam Deluxe edition route alongside the usual free for all is far from unusual and suits it well enough---big, big difference from going from a solo hobbyist project all these many years to having an actual team to actively manage and coordinate with.

I'll take a team getting income to liven up a classic any day of the week versus the many other classic Roguelikes that've fallen into utter stagnation while their potential goes unrealized---with any luck, Biskup's ADOM Team doing well enough might inspire some of the others whose devs are still alive to take a similar crack at it with some realistic path of modest success. I don't think anybody would be clutching their pearls at a newly ascendant Valhalla/Ragnarok or other such whose reach far exceeded their grasp back in the day commercially or otherwise down the line.

Mozg

Arcane
If that's actually true, it's retarded. I was on the verge of buying the game before I read that

Weird thing to be up in arms about. In decent roguelikes, you worry about resources.

Also, people are mad about this? I guess people that wish he'd have open sourced it back in the day?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If that's actually true, it's retarded. I was on the verge of buying the game before I read that

Try the fucking thing before you bash it. I played just about only magic users in ADOM during 100 hours of squeezing every bit of fun from it and enjoyed it immensely.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, it's a great game. I hope he's adding that Scroll of Ultimate Power at one point.

Point-based character generation (TBD) is not yet on steam version? Playing free and this random sign/points distribution is really annoying.

Arthandas

Prophet
I must say that after playing it a little it quickly grew on me.
It seems like a bastard child of TOME and Nethack which surpassed both of its parents.
Also, there are some seriously complex mechanics under the hood...

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I must say that after playing it a little it quickly grew on me.
It seems like a bastard child of TOME and Nethack which surpassed both of its parents.
Also, there are some seriously complex mechanics under the hood...
Its weird to call ADOM a child of TOME as it is way older than it, but maybe it is some kind of Redneck family I guess...

Mozg

Arcane
ToME started as an Angband mod in the late '90s (note: this is probably the reason I have stubbornly refused to ever like ToME even though it's totally unrecognizable at this point, because fuck Angband) so it's not that much younger.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
ToME started as an Angband mod in the late '90s (note: this is probably the reason I have stubbornly refused to ever like ToME even though it's totally unrecognizable at this point, because fuck Angband) so it's not that much younger.
Yeah, if you mean the ancient angband variant then it is not that much younger.

Johannes

Arcane
Not a big fan of this approach. It's true that hardcore games are a niche, but such games are usually made by small teams that can easily survive on 1% of the AAA sales.
How is giving a ez-mode any different for the original user mase, most of the ez-mode shit included here has already been available in various add-ons made by 3rd parties (starsign roller, stat roller, free wishes, savescumming if you copy the files) - for the hardcore ADOM players who want to experiment or go for a specific challenges where you need a certain starsign.

I've used the console to edit my stats/skills in AoD as well, I don't see how anyone would gain by taking that ability away from me.

If including an extra modes gives devs more money (for negligible effort), why not include them? Are you arguing that devs get more money from their niche by not trying to reach out like that, or is it more of a street cred thing you wish people woudln't do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom