Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Activision to excavate Sierra's mummified corpse for new rounds of rape

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Maybe they could make a kickstarter to revive the company: if they reach 10 million dollars, then they will ressurect Sierra and launch new kickstarter campaigns for each of their franchises.
Truth to be told, all yall would pay money to ressurect Troika, SSI, Black Isle or Looking Glass

The idea that Blizzard before the merger is good is one of the biggest faulty lines of logic in the PC community. Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft, the trio of the games that turned them into shit in my eyes.
What's so bad about WC3? It's a solid run of the mill RTS. It didn't have a negative impact on the industry like D2 and WoW had. It spawned DOTA, but Blizzard had nothing to do with it (and it took years before DOTA actually became a mainstream thing and an actual game genre)

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"There's not much I can say about King's Quest," Marshall tells us. "All I can say is that I've seen it, and it's not a point-and-click game. But it looks *** awesome."

:rage::rage::rage::rage:

I mean, really, if that isn't as cliched as one can get about modern AAA publishers/ developers... "Who cares about the gameplay. But it looks *** awesome!!!!!!!!!"

Boleskine

Arcane
It could be stuff that's new, kick-***, awesome IP that has nothing to do with the old Sierra brand, but will be a Sierra thing when it launches."

what does this even mean

They're probably going to try and attract new IPs from indie devs and publish them under the Sierra label.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

4cXmgZj.gif

Cromwell

Arcane
Heh - the developer, The Odd Gentlemen, were quick to respond to the onslaught in the wake - though I don't know what they mean yet. They've been generally responding as "It's very much an adventure game, it just doesn't solely use the mouse and input.

https://twitter.com/TheOddGentlemen/with_replies

So, my guess? KINECT!! Heh.

Bt

like walking dead, which is very much a adventure game and playable with controller?

Angthoron

Arcane
Heh - the developer, The Odd Gentlemen, were quick to respond to the onslaught in the wake - though I don't know what they mean yet. They've been generally responding as "It's very much an adventure game, it just doesn't solely use the mouse and input.

https://twitter.com/TheOddGentlemen/with_replies

So, my guess? KINECT!! Heh.

Bt
Could be voice input. "We're returning to the roots of text input, but with a twist!"

kain30

Cipher
After the big sucess of this series, I can see EA making a move and we'll have a new Legend of Kyrandia or Blade Runner.

:negative:

please no! EA will transform blade runner in a horrible action shooter. and the investigation scenes will be only CGIs...
:negative:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm glad it's just King's Quest, the Sierra series that I care less about. A Freddy Pharkas sequel would get even more interested than KQ.

Boleskine

Arcane
At least Activision is honest.

Activision announced the resurrection of the storied Sierra label last week, bringing it back into action with a new Geometry Wars and a reboot of the old King's Quest series. It was an unexpected move, given the publisher's historic focus on the bottom line and the tiny impact on it that old Sierra adventures are likely to have, but not entirely unpredictable in hindsight. After all, there's gold in them there indie hills.

The very definition of "indie" is hazy, especially these days, but whatever it is, Activision wants a piece of it. "The indie movement is happening," MacLean Marshall of Activision/Sierra told MCV. "And for Activision not to be involved in that... it has the big brands, sure, but I think it would be a miss if we didn’t look at the indie movement as well. For us, it is about finding the right devs with the right ideas—whether that is bringing back an old Sierra IP or something entirely new."

There is money to be made, as evidenced by the success of niche publishers—Devolver Digital leaps immediately to mind—and games like Valiant Hearts: The Great War, which practically screams "indie" despite being a Ubisoft release. But what finally convinced Activision to take the plunge, according to Senior Director of External Development Bob Loya, was the advent of digital distribution.

"With digitally distributed games becoming bigger every year, we were able to make a compelling business argument that we could be financially successful doing this, while working with really cool indie talent on great IP," he said.

Bobby Kotick as the next Fork Parker? Probably not, but given the reach and resources of its parent, Sierra could end up making a very big splash in the indie game game.

They want that indie pie.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Somewhat related, but Activision isn't just looking for some of that Indie pie, they also want the movie and TV pies.

Ubisoft isn't the only video game company juggernaut keen on getting into the film and television business. Activision Blizzard, a company that has been famously averse to adapting its hit video games on the big screen, may have changed its mind with The Information (via Engadget) reporting the company has made tentative plans to launch an entertainment studio.

The studio would then produce its own movies and TV shows based on its properties, rather than simply license its titles to outside partners as had previously been done.

Activision isn't commenting on the rumor at this stage.

Sauce

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom