Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Activision to excavate Sierra's mummified corpse for new rounds of rape

buzz

Arcane
So what is the hivemind's consensus hum about The Odd Gentlemen, King's Quest new developer?
They did that shitty Neil Gaiman game that was released a couple of months ago. Very simplistic puzzles.
Apparently they're also doing the Homestuck adventure game that was on kickstarter but I know nothing about that and their first game.

EDIT: Before the retards go on an anti-Activision tirade again, I shall remind you that this was the last King's Quest game:
pc-44229-41337660784.jpg

Designed by Roberta Williams nonetheless.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
SO Activision randomly pick some fucking "Upcoming Indie Developer" throw the Kings Quest Licence at them?

This will end well....

Are these people this fucking out of touch with reality?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Winterbottom was an okay puzzle game but it's a far cry from that to a proper Adventure game. Note I said PROPER Adventure game. Here's that Neil GAYman game they did:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/246720/

Yeah... confidence inspiring, isn't it? I would rather see Cow-a-doody: Janitorial Ops starring Roger Wilco. I guarantee you the thought process is that Activision sees all the money Telltale gets from shitty ChooseYourOwnAdventure games and is looking to cash in with drek over their own. Going to be dialogue heavy with light puzzles and QTEs.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
I actually really liked King's Quest 8, being a fan of the originals. It was totally different sure but it was a very tight action adventure game, enemies didn't respawn I think and the game felt well designed and looked good. You still had to figure things out on your own. The worst part about it is that every time you'd change zones the cd would delete then copy the appropriate zone on your hard drive, resulting in 30 mins+ of loading screens.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Sierra's hunt for the right indie devs for its reboot

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/223477/Sierras_hunt_for_the_right_indie_devs_for_its_reboot.php

Although the criteria for a Sierra game are fairly loose -- any indie project that seems to be the right size and hit the right quality bar -- the opportunity is there for the entire back catalog of Sierra, Infocom and old Universal and Vivendi IP to be revisited. "We have a gigantic back catalog," Loya says. "It's about finding the right developer, matching it with that IP and making the right game. We're really going to focus on modernizing those games and taking them to the next level -- storytelling, mechanics, anything cool and unique."

"From the reactions I've personally gotten over the past 24 hours, I don't think that's going to be an issue," says Loya, who suddenly finds himself with an inbox full of hundreds of emails. "A lot of developers love the Sierra label; it's nostalgic, it's a vision, and people understand what you mean when you say it. It sets certain expectations for them."

Some Sierra titles may even have the opportunity to be boxed on retail shelves. Loya says. "We have a lot more that we want to talk about," he says. "For me this is new, so it's very frustrating that I can't tell everybody everything. In the next two to four months, you'll hear a lot more."

Hmmmmmm...so Obsidian has a chance to deal with the Devil to make Arcanum 2.

kain30

Cipher
^this, please, this!! i´d love to see arcanum 2 someday, but a man can dream, a man can dream...

but if someday the game is made, please remove the real time combat option

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm curious to see what developers they choose to do this stuff... I just have no idea what they are really thinking yet.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
I'm curious to see what developers they choose to do this stuff... I just have no idea what they are really thinking yet.

Bt

Thinking of applying? ;)

Applying? Fuck that, they know where I live. I've already spent years carrying a torch for that name/label for no pay. I'm sure we're on their radar in some capacity, and if they want to contact me, they're free to do so. But I'm not going to go beg them for shit.

Bt

EDIT: Full disclosure: I have not yet had my morning coffee. May be crabby right now, heh heh...

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bt

Thinking of applying? ;)

Applying? Fuck that, they know where I live. I've already spent years carrying a torch for that name/label for no pay. I'm sure we're on their radar in some capacity, and if they want to contact me, they're free to do so. But I'm not going to go beg them for shit.

Bt

I think it'd be cool to try to arrange for your and AGDI's remakes to receive more of an official stamp, so they can be released on Steam (as free games, or maybe with a price tag although that'd be kind of a dick move)

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer

Bt

Thinking of applying? ;)

Bt

I think it'd be cool to try to arrange for your and AGDI's remakes to receive more of an official stamp, so they can be released on Steam (as free games, or maybe with a price tag although that'd be kind of a dick move)

If they wanted to do our Space Quest 2, we'd revamp it a bit - fix some backgrounds, bugs, etc - record some new voices.... we'd overhaul it and throw it in the store for a reasonable price at like Steam and GoG, but give the user an experience for the money.

You know, at one point in there, we had the design for a giant easter egg - basically, a series of events and choices would make it so the apes hoverpod didn't run out of Gas, they brought you to the mines and you'd have a different path there - eventually meeting up with the main game back at the tower to the top of the landing platform and back to the asteroid. A little too ambitious, but we thought it'd be fun as an easter egg to have an alternate route to the escape pod.

Bt

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You people. So full of optimism. Get ready for multiple counts of franchise rape.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Bt

Thinking of applying? ;)

Bt

EDIT: Full disclosure: I have not yet had my morning coffee. May be crabby right now, heh heh...
What's the harm in trying? At least with you I know I'd get an actual, you know, adventure game... :salute:*

Unless you succumbed to the devil publisher's evil commands and made, oh I don't know, something like.........
BROKEN AGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rage:

Last edited:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence. Yeah, and who knows - if we did end up working for them, you MIGHT get a Broken Age and I might finally die of that tragic heroin overdose I always dreamed of as an early 90s Alterno-teen.

Bt

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

See THIS is what fucking pisses me off. Your team is the EXACT kind of team we would want working on some of the older Sierra game franchises. You have a love and passion for the old Sierra games.

But who do they pick? Some fucking random studio (and I bet they must have a proven profitable sales numbers or some shit like that).

Focusing on TEH MONEY..... not passion or love and respect for a games heritage.

Just burn in a fire Activision.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
We're going to keep doing what we do, no matter what. So, I'll worry about "Sierra" if it ever comes to our doorstep... until then, I'm just going to keep refining this damn script for Quest For Infamy 2...

Bt

Dexter

Arcane
I'm pretty sure Activision don't really much care about "SIERRA", but people seem to be making these fan-games for the last decade: http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=21322

They touch swords with their lawyers and at some point they seem to give in because it would just be bad PR and bad blood:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/activision-shuts-down-the-silver-lining
http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/06/28/activision-sees-silver-lining-grants-license-king’s-quest-game#.U-7b9mflqcw

Maybe they just told themselves, if people will keep making all that crap anyway, they might as well make some money with it. They likely won't put much funding behind it and let the Indies (happy enough to be able to work on their revered licenses and full of optimism) self-fund their projects to a large extent and either they'll make money with it and increase the worth of their IPs or they at least won't lose much.
Seriously, there's anti-corporatism about publishers that genuinely ruin things and then there's edgy one-liners targeted towards safe targets for the sake of fitting in.
As for this shit, I wrote up a "short thing" about Activision back when I broke with Blizzard/StarCraft: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/128252-a-short-history-of-activision-blizzard-or-how

Some people have respect for Lawful Evil since they seem to be following the rules and make lots of money off of a market by planned exploitation within the system till it is dead and buried and they'll just move on to the next one and similar. Myself I have more contempt for those entities since it just means they know exactly what they are doing and it's just a operating procedure while others like EA following closer to the Chaotic/Stupid Evil alignment just destroy companies and franchises and the relationship to their customers out of sheer incompetence and being comically greedy instead.

They've certainly learned a thing or two since back then though, like not opening their mouths without regurgitating it through a PR person first for instance.

Last edited:

buzz

Arcane
:lol: actually it's Blizzbabbys Dexter like you that make me appreciate Activision (or at the very least, treat them with passive noninterest instead of blind hate). The Blizzard-Activision merge is pretty much the sole reason why they get the negative rep they do so much nowadays.
Blind Blizzard fanboys thinking that Activison ruined their little sacred cow.

The idea that Blizzard before the merger is good is one of the biggest faulty lines of logic in the PC community. Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft, the trio of the games that turned them into shit in my eyes. At least no one could blame that Activision "ruined" CoD, it was never good to begin with (a sequel has been made every year since the beginning and regen health has been introduced in CoD) or that any sensible person gave a shit about Guitar Hero.
I like how you put the blame on Activision that they're the reason SC2 is split in 3. Yeah, sure :lol:. That's why SC2 is now an abused title with yearly releases. Oh wait, it's not. In fact, WoL was released in 2010, the next expansion 3 years later and the last one is not even announced yet. Let's ignore that SC2 already had a giant development time before that (to the point it was considered vaporware) and there's absolutely no profit to be gained out of them working on an expansion instead of simply moving to Warcraft IV/Starcraft III.

As a previous Double Fine fanboy myself, I used to hate Activision and Kotick for cancelling Double Fine and then sueing them and shit. Then I saw that Double Fine is actually in reality a piece of shit company made of incompetent hipsters and douchebags. Broken Age and Massive Chalice were more than enough proof that what Kotick and Activsion did and said at the time was spot on.

I also like the hypocritical tone of your piece. Activision is evil for suing other companies, but Activsion is also evil for being sued by Valve? :mad:
In fact, it's Valve which I would truly describe as lawful evil in general. It's amazing how they've managed to hold a giant monopoly on the PC market and yet still manage to get away with all the awful shit they make and have built an unbeatable army of fanboys who take everything they do for granted (kinda like Blizzard in the early/mid 00s actually). Here's a few things Valve did that Activision didn't:
- create a giant monopoly on the entire PC market and convincing people to wear their DRM and controlled market services as a badge of honor (see Metro posts every once and a while)
- hiring modders, students and small dev teams with great ideas, polish their games and then discard them (seriously, look it up to see how many of the original modders/devs of their non-HL franchises are still with Valve)
- popularize the concept of Early Access, making people pay for fucking beta-testing and letting developers be lazy slobs who can get away with creating unfinished and buggy pieces of shit, maybe even leaving it at that stage.
- helped popularizing cinematic shooters, REALISTIX modern military shooters, hand-holding design of FPSes, MOBAs and zombie games
- betray the trust of the entire PC community you've built over a decade by announcing your own console (and getting away with it because VALVE IS LOVE VALVE IS LIFE)

Really, Activision is more like lawful neutral/true neutral.

The amount of :retarded: this thread has is fascinating. No disrespect for Blackthorne, I've been lurking on his team's website and forums before QfI was even announced and I've enjoyed most of the things they've did up to this point. But you have to be a bit fucking insane to expect (or even demand) that a giant company like Activision would put the King's Quest title in the hands of a little company of fans who have just released their first commercial title a month or two ago and are basically renown only for emulating the old-school style of early 90s Sierra games. Not even Codex fan-favorites like Fargo and Vicke would do that. Or maybe I'm mistaken and Wasteland 2 and Div:OS look like this and this. Would you also complain that a new Ultima game is not being made by the guy who did KotC or the one who did Teudogar? :retarded:

The fact that they gave the franchise to some indie dev in itself is a fucking giant feat. The only big companies out there that are still paying attention to small niches are Ubisoft and Atlus. Just stop and wonder what would someone like EA, or Bethesda or Take Two would do with the IP.

We live in an era where day after day we get a new case of some indie dev or team doing some nasty shit, scamming people out of their money, following some stupid trends or generally releasing poor and forgettable dreck. And people still blame the big and EVUL publishers for that. It's amazing how so many people lack the self-awareness to see their errors in logic. It's kinda like the hippies in the 60s and 70s levels of retarded.

Anyway, fuck my rants and that's my last post in this thread. It's obvious I'm not going to make a bunch of people living in a fantasy of cliches and stereotypes think reasonably. Continue to :deadhorse: about how Kotick is twirling his moustache in delight at the sight of a burnt down gaming industry. Remember guys, THE MAN is out there and he's ruining your life as we speak so go ahead and FIGHT THE POWA, preferably by buying more old-skewl games from respectable devs like Chris Roberts and Tim Schafer:troll:.

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
The idea that Blizzard before the merger is good is one of the biggest faulty lines of logic in the PC community. Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft, the trio of the games that turned them into shit in my eyes.

I liked Warcraft 3.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Buzz - no disrespect taken. I wouldn't expect to work on King's Quest, not - in all honesty - would I really, in my heart of hearts, want to. I had no expectations, perhaps other than the professional courtesy of saying "Hey - we're doing this." And, you know, even if someone approached us - I'd have to consider what they're offering, and what we would truly get out of it. As much as the love of Sierra games fuels a lot of what I do, even I'm level headed enough to stop and think of both the business and quality ramifications it might have for us.

Excellent rant, by the way - I could feel that one, ha!

Bt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom