Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TBS Achtung Spitfire

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
We need a proper remake of this. Great strategy/rpg hybrid.

WcJ1A.jpg

Isometric view with turn based combat. Do i need to write more?

achtung-spitfire-01.jpg

Campaign starts in 39 and lasts till 43. You can fly for RAF Luftwaffe or French.

FSUqs.jpg

There is even an dynamic BoB in 40's

Achtung_Spitfire__4.jpg

Launched it after not playing a few months and it still is the best game of its kind, there is no other like it (except the prequel Over The Reich).

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, both those games were awesome. Over the Reich had more diversity in its missions and theaters although Achtung Spitfire had a better campaign over all.
Shame there never were more games in the series, although there was a series of rather decent wargames about the air war in WW2 by Talonsoft named Battle of Britain and Twelve O'Clock High. They've since then been rereleased by Matrix as Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich.

For turn-based air battles you might have a look at Sid Meier's Ace Patrol. It's actually a damn good game. Haven't tried Pacific Skies but it looks pretty decent as well.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/30/the-flare-path-secretes-secret-history/

There's also The Few. Which launched a failed kickstarter, seemed dead and then quietly got released.

http://blackmoondev.com/the-few-indie-rts-about-the-battle-of-britain/

No idea if it's any good.

zool

Arcane
I recently discovered that as mentioned here, you should be able to transfer pilots from Achtung Spitfire to Over the Reich to continue your tour of duty after installing the 1.13 patch for Over the Reich. However, the only version of Over the Reich I could find online was a cracked v1.0 and I can't seem to be able to install any of the patches for the game available here as the patches format prevents it from installing on Windows 7.

Trash or anyone, were you ever able to make it work?

zool

Arcane
Hmm yes actually the real problem is that the executable won't work on a 64 bits system. Any idea how to solve this?

zool

Arcane
Nope, doesn't seem to do the trick. These 32/64 bits compatibility problems really are a pain.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This game is a gem. Apart from over the reich there is no other like it.

fastjack

Augur
Flight Commander 2 (and presumably Flight Commander) offer a similar experience with fighter jets and flat tiled graphics. I remember enjoying them around the same time I played Achtung Spitfire.

zool

Arcane
I still have my original disc and it works fine on Win7 64 (except for the intro video which doesn't play). I seem to remember having some trouble getting it to install from the disc but that was a long time ago and I haven't uninstalled it since then.

This fansite has some tips that might help you : http://home.comcast.net/~hagler11/otr/index.html

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
And it even resizes with your resolution so you can have 1280x1024 :salute:

21293ki.jpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Now where to find achtung spitfire iso? with both games in 1.15 now it is finaly possible to play whole ASP and then transfer your pilots to OTR

Severian Silk

Nope, doesn't seem to do the trick. These 32/64 bits compatibility problems really are a pain.
The installer is probably 16bits. That's why it won't work. You could create a virtual machine and play it in there.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
virtual machine is the best option, you can play all other old games.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
That's odd, the .exe from my link unpacks a .iso. Or we're talking past one another.

It needs to be the iso because you can't apply the patches otherwise and i can't find the iso anywhere.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Finaly got it, you can always count on russians if it's an old obscure game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom