Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ACHTUNG! Codex! Let's Defend Kharkov, in 1943 (FAILED!!!)

overtenemy

Augur
Due to inability to change thread name, may start new thread. If I can't find solution feel free to disregard.

Index:

Operation Star
Part 1 Again - The Rebeginnining

Original Recipe
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10

After suffering through a great deal of rage and the beginnings of what could be serious heart complications at the hands of technical difficulties in Silent Hunter 4, I've decided to stop commencing Operation Monsun for the time being. Instead, I present...

943198625d1263842052-info-achtung-panzer-kharkov-1943-achtung_panzer_packshot_2d_lores.jpg

Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943 is a real-time tactical wargame, with a heavy emphasis on realism and a turn-based operational phase. It's developed by Graviteam, the independent Russian developer also responsible for the tank sim Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942. In my opinion, they are incline incarnate, and while Achtung Panzer was released only earlier this year, it seems to get very little press around here, so much so that I consider it criminally underrated, especially when considering our population of elitist grognards. It's not without its share of quirks, which I'll point out as we go. Its greatest flaw, currently, is the complete lack of multiplayer, but word on the street is that's going to be patched in. It's very easy to pirate, since it features no copy protection that I know of outside of being distributed solely online, but that brings me to one of its greater features: a mere 20 dollar price tag. I pirated it initially myself, and bought it when I saw how awesome it was.

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/201 ... eview.html

That video is of an interview with one of the game's producers, who instead of taking the standard marketing approach of "Hardcore gamers will love it, but casuals can play it!" he rather contemptuously states that it's for adult wargamers, not teenagers or people who play World of Warcraft. If I didn't know better I'd say he was Skyway. But he isn't really fucking around, either. The game features a graph that shows you what gun can penetrate what armor and at what range.

snap594.jpg

On the right, you can see I have a Panzer IV selected. The solid bars indicate the thickness of its armor, which is also the Y axis. The X axis represents range. The dotted lines are the ammunition fired by a 76.2mm m27, selected on the left. At point blank ranges you'll see, the APHE round is capable of frontally penetrating the Pz IV's armor, but after 300 meters will have to score a hit elsewhere. The top ammunition, apparently, will penetrate anywhere, and doesn't lose effectiveness with range because it's high explosive, meaning it doesn't rely on kinetic energy to do its damage and so loses no effectiveness with range.

Anyway, that seems like enough exposition and advertising. Let's get to it.

snap595.jpg

There's three difficulty options - whether or not you can see the enemy without LOS, the amount of forces your enemy will have, and whether or not he's experienced. 150% is as high as the second goes, and we have experienced selected.

Because I've beaten both of the German operations, and because I've LPed as an ubermensch recently, we'll be taking the side of the degenerate communist untermensch from the East.

snap600.jpg

snap601.jpg

snap602.jpg

snap603.jpg

Aren't you glad you read all that? In case you didn't, we'll be defending Sokolovo, a town outside of Kharkov itself. The game does not contain the entire third battle of Kharkov, but instead offers two very small slices of it, with as much fidelity as possible.

IT'S LIKE IM REALLY IN RUSSIA :retarded:

snap604.jpg

This is the operational map. This is how it looks two turns later, I forgot to screenshot it initially because there was really nothing for me to do but wait since I had no inclination to move any of my units. The symbols currently surrounded by the red circle are mine. The three green units no the bottom are German - the two on the right are mechanized, the one of the left is a recon unit, also mechanized. It's now attacking, by itself, my Western Flank. But that doesn't mean it's just attacking the infantry unit placed there. Every square represents a square kilometer, and every square around the battle will be present. That means he also has to deal with another infantry unit, and an artillery unit.

It's one of the irritating points of this game that you can't move multiple units onto the same square. It's a whole damn kilometer, there's room damn it. It can be detrimental to gameplay at times.

snap605.jpg

This is the deployment phase. The Germans, as mentioned before, will be entirely mechanized. They won't have any tanks, but they will consist of infantry squads loaded onto APCs. This is a problem not only because it makes them far more mobile than us, but also because it means our infantry squads will not be able to fight properly out in the open unless supported by an anti-tank weapon of some kind. An infantry squad caught by an APC will get machine gunned mercilessly while its completely unable to offer any meaningful retaliation, unless the APC is foolish enough to get very close. Unlikely. What this means is that positioning is extremely important. You need to pick a good spot and defend, since you won't be able to easily move about the way the Germans do. People on foot are slow. Shit takes time.

snap606.jpg

Where the trees start and the ground becomes purple instead of green is where the occupied German square starts. You can see the German flag with Anna 1 under it as well - that's the key point for their square. When the battle's over, whoever has the keypoint captured is more likely to own the land on the operational map. I believe it also offers some sort of fighting bonus, but I'm not sure.

snap609.jpg

I position the infantry squad with a clear view of the road. If they attack directly, this is the road they'll take. On the left, the unit represented by three lines is an AT gun. It'll do considerable damage to their APCs, especially because it's entrenched. That's what the green line in front of them indicates - entrenchment. You may only entrench if you've been in the same square on the operational map for a turn or two. If you move, it won't be available. The circles are how far the unit's commander's influence extends, and the color of the circle is how powerful it is. The regular infantry squads obviously have shit command ability, where Ruzicka is a proper commander. He's the one with the giant orange-yellow circle. Units inside the circle are less likely to flee when shit hits the fan.

snap608.jpg

This is the infantry unit two squares east of the Germans on the operational map. The land in between us is unclaimed. I set them up to defend, in the event they try to flank around this way.

snap610.jpg

snap611.jpg

As for the artillery, I take them out of their home square of West Pokolovo and put them West, with the first infantry squad. First off, this means they may not entrench, since you can only entrench on your home square. This also means the town is left wide open.

snap612.jpg

snap613.jpg

It would be possible for the Germans to move right through my two infantry units, covered by the trees, and advance right into the town and capture it. But I accept the risk. In my opinion, you can't defend everything at once. He who tries to hold onto everything will lose everything. Although the town IS in fact the most important area where, the reason I moved my artillery to the position they're at is because it's a large, open field. If the enemy APCs come into their vision, the artillery will light them up at that range, while the APCs won't be able to return fire very well, as they're mostly armed with machine guns only.

With that, the battle commences. Now we wait.

snap615.jpg

After a few minutes, Eta 2 is captured. They're heading north, apparently. Either they're going to outflank wide, or they're going to drive right into the gaping jaws of my artillery pieces. I move them up a little more so they'll have a better shot.

snap619.jpg

After a few more minutes, we have the first enemy contact. Often times, when using anti-tank guns, or artillery in this case, it's advisable to hold fire until they're closer, to guarantee a good shot and penetration. But since we have 76.2mm guns, and these are just APCs, I see no reason to hold back.

snap620.jpg

That line means one of the guns has a good shot and is aiming.

snap621.jpg

Pow. It's not completely destroyed, but apparently it's immobilized. Yet it keeps moving...

snap622.jpg

Ah, that's why. The machine is still functional, but the crew are dead, so it keeps driving. Well, we're off to a good start.

snap623.jpg

I begin moving the entrenched squad over to protect our guns, anticipating battle at this location.

snap624.jpg

They arrive a little later, yet we've not been attacked. Hrm...

snap627.jpg

Another point captured, further north. That must mean they're now heading east, to outflank West Sokolovo. Yeah, that place that I left NO TROOPS.

snap628.jpg

That's the road they're going to be taking. But we're not fucked quite yet. It's just a small change in position to get us a decent shot on that road.

snap629.jpg

We race to make it in time.

snap631.jpg

We made it, just as they captured the point before Sokolovo, and apparently we've got an enemy sighted.

snap632.jpg

The guns let loose.

snap633.jpg

About four APCs sighted now. One of them is trying to run away, North, off the road.

snap634.jpg

He doesn't quite make it.

snap635.jpg

Right track blown off. Sometimes the crew can make repairs to the track, if there's no fighting going on around them, but I don't think they're gonna make it.

snap637.jpg

Around now we start getting hit by artillery called in by the enemy commander. The black spot on the left there is where it hit, and our first gun is a few guys down, but still operable.

snap639.jpg

Some of the APCs have opened up on us, as the tracers show. Better take that fuck out quick.

snap641.jpg

More gun casualties. If they lose too many dudes, it'll become immobile at first, because there's not enough people to pull it. Then, eventually, it won't fire anymore either.

snap644.jpg

With most of the APCs present either completely destroyed or disabled, a firefight now breaks out between our positions and their infantry. A few of them are apparently ordered to attack us.

snap645.jpg

Didn't work out so well for that guy. Because their transports are gone and they're running around on foot, I call in artillery, but it won't hit for about 5 minutes.

snap646.jpg

One of the APCs escaped and is heading northeast, currently. Sokolovo is east. Fortunately, I had long since ordered the southernmost infantry unit to Sokolovo. It should be arriving shortly to take up defensive positions there.

snap650.jpg

They arrived, but I was too busy watching the firefight by the road, and I didn't modify my orders properly. Meanwhile, that APC that broke away has advanced on Sokolovo. As a result, four infantry squads ran out ahead without taking cover in the houses, and are now being machine gunned. Needless losses ensue, but they all stay combat effective. The anti-tank gun is behind them abit.

snap652.jpg

I tried to turn one of the guns to engage the APC that was machine gunning my squads by the town, but too late. The APC turned its attentions to the gun, and with a lucky shot took it completely out of commission.

snap653.jpg

Meanwhile, the squads in town have gotten to safety inside some shoddily constructed communism shacks. The AT gun is on the road, advancing steadily to meet the APC head on. Hope that works out.

snap655.jpg

Back to the firefight on the road, we've pretty much one. We've had several commanders killed, and an AT gun taken out of commission, but the enemy infantry has either been mopped up or run off East to join the fight at Sokolovo, which shouldn't end well for them. The last functional APC that I can see is about to get raped.

snap657.jpg

Win

A small amount of infantry made it to the city, and is now being fired at by our infantry, who are in a vastly superior position. They won't last long.

snap660.jpg

Our AT gun finally made it onto the same road as the APC, while the APC was pre-occupied firing off its gun into a shack. The first shot damages its weapon.

snap661.jpg

The second immobilizes it, and that'll be that.

snap663.jpg

The enemy now offers a cease fire, meaning he no longer has any offensive objectives, and decides he'd be better off simply accepting things as they stand. If you accept, the battle is over, and you go back to the operational map with whatever territory you've lost/gained. But I say fuck that - he just got whooped, so I see no reason we should let him keep the territory he's gained. Let's go take care of a few things. First things first. There's an immobilized APC that we didn't finish destroying. Our AT guns are immobile, with not enough people to pull them, so they can't tag along.

snap669.jpg

Russian infantry carry a secret weapon: potatoes. Or rather, potatoes in the form of molotov cocktails. They're potentially quite good. If they hit, there's a chance they'll light the enemy vehicle on fire. If that happens, it'll be automatically abandoned, even if it's a tank. That taken care of, I split up my infantry to go take back the points the Germans captured.

snap672.jpg

And on the way I run into a few APCs the enemy left in reserve. My infantry is in an open field, with no support, facing an APC. THIS IS LIKE THAT THING I WAS TALKING ABOUT!!! In an incredibly cheesy move, I accept the cease-fire, so thirty seconds later the carnage ends, but it was still rape. The entire unit didn't break, fortunately, but several squads within them are done for and will have to be replaced. I accidentally clicked out of the battle summary, but since it's our first fight we can just look at the campaign and it'll tell us what's what.

snap674.jpg

The game decided it was a minor victory in my favor. I lost 54 dudes to their 29, and one artillery gun to their four APCs. As far as personnel losses go, that's just to be expected. Untermensch drop like fruit flies. But along the way I lost two commanders that I cannot replace, and I'm not so sure that fight was really a victory for me. But just the same, though they outflanked us and took some unoccupied territory, we gave them no ground that we held. I'll call it a success for now.

snap675.jpg

Now you can replace broken squads, replenish units' fuel and ammo and personnel losses. That sounds cool at first, but it's so basic that it just becomes repetitive. The operational phase is a little fucked when it comes to features, and it's one of the fields in which Graviteam definitely stands to improve. Yet I won't bash it overly much, because the fact that the game has an operational phase at all, rather than a string of unrelated missions, improves the experience greatly. That I lost an artillery gun now weighs heavily on me, because it's not just being an expendable unit I'll never see again. It gets even worse with tanks. I punch myself in the fucking face every time I lose one.

Anyway, that'll do it for now.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Ah yes, awesome game. The developers surely invested a huge amount of time in proper historical research and accuracy.

Do continue!

overtenemy

Augur
Part 2

And we're back.

snap677.jpg

This is how the map looks after our first battle. All the units on the northern part of the map cannot be moved by me. Why, I have no idea - presumably they're not under my command for whatever reason. On the very northern part is a diamond, representing a tank unit, but it's off the map, meaning it's on its way but won't be here for several turns. Same with the infantry unit on the very eastern edge.

At this point, I'm regretting not re-arranging somewhat. I probably would have preferred to bring the southernmost infantry unit north, and the artillery unit north as well, mainly because as it stands now the infantry unit is dug in in a square with no real defenses. Further north, we'd have a city to stand in. But it's too late now, movement would mean the loss of entrenchment, and I'm not willing to deal with that. I end the turn.

snap678.jpg

They don't attack, but instead move the recon unit that was mauled in the first battle to the east, as well as one of the mechanized units.

snap679.jpg

Next turn, both mechanized units attack my southernmost square. In my opinion, rather silly, considering they could have easily rolled up the western flank and in a few turns attacked two battered units that would have easily been overrun. As it stands, they'll be fighting four fresh units.

snap680.jpg

Because of how open one of the German starting areas is, I'm tempted to move up all my defenses and place them as close as possible, giving a long view of the incoming APCs.

snap681.jpg

I toy with the idea, but ultimately decide the view isn't quite good enough to justify risking all of my units out in the open, since some of them wouldn't be dug in properly. Instead, I abandon the two areas immediately next to the German starting position, and bring them back to the settled areas.

snap682.jpg

I anticipate that the Germans will come from Epsilon 2, the currently unowned territory, the same way they did the first fight. The only AT gun in this area, therefore, overlooks two roads in that direction. There's also an anti-tank rifle platoon, which I hope is effective against APCs at reasonable ranges, a couple machine guns, then infantry taking up positions in the houses to cover flanks. In the back, undefended, are two 50mm mortars. I don't think they'd be very useful in direct fire against an APC on account of them being manned by two people, with no protection outside of the trench. They'll be used to fire indirectly, without line of sight, at approaching infantry. I'd have some infantry cover them but I'm not sure I can spare a squad from the proper line.

snap683.jpg

Over here, I feel the position is weaker, but to compensate we have three 76.2mm artillery guns and a 40mm AT gun. Because this is the artillery's home square, they're all able to dig in, so I put them ahead of the houses a little bit, figuring they should be sufficient to shoot out most of the APCs that come this way. One is on the other side, in case of any flanking maneuvers. The infantry should be close enough to provide covering fire in the event that the guns are rushed by infantry. If they're rushed by APCs, well, I hope they can kill them in time, otherwise I'm fucked. Let's do this.

snap685.jpg

A dug in machine gun. When entrenched, your units are pretty difficult to see, especially for tanks and APCs. Unfortunately, a machine gun doesn't really have a chance against them for the most part, so I order the machine guns to hold their fire, so they might be able to keep their position unknown until some hapless infantry, or perhaps the exposed flank of an APC, become available as a target. I don't give any such order to the AT guns though, who I feel should simply shoot an APC as soon as they see it.

snap686.jpg

The battle begins with German artillery opening up in what appears to be a pretty random location. I have no idea why they think I'd be dug in there, but well, I'm not even close.

snap689.jpg

We lose the westernmost key point. Looks like they'll be attacking the 4 gun position.

snap690.jpg

First APC comes into view and is immediately targeted.

snap691.jpg

He manages to drive down the hill before any shots are fired, ruining the line of sight for a few of the guns, but it isn't enough.

snap692.jpg

snap693.jpg

It's pretty messed up, but not completely toast yet. A few guns keep firing at it. Things are looking up. That is, until...

snap694.jpg

TAAAAANK!!! Initially I'm worried that they had already managed to bring up a tank platoon that I hadn't seen. But it turns out it's just a tank destroyer - Stug III. It's probably attached to one of the mechanized units. Funny, when I played this campaign as the Germans, I remember having MARDERS, which are considerably less effective.

snap695.jpg

The tank disappears behind the houses before any shots are fired at it. Instead the guns keep focusing on the heavy APC.

snap696.jpg

It re-appears and I frantically order all the guns to shoot at it, but apparently most of them can't see it. Only one is doing anything.

snap697.jpg

Takes a hit. Nothing. Tank destroyers typically have very strong frontal armor, at the expense of the sides and rear.

snap698.jpg
But it turns and begins moving, exposing its side!

It gets hit and penetrated a few times, but doesn't slow down. It may have a dead crewman or two but no vital systems have been hit.

snap700.jpg

Oh dear

snap701.jpg

One of our 76.2mm guns thought it'd be a good idea to leave its entrenchment to get a better shot. Fucking fool. Doesn't work out to well for the crew, they take a shot and are mostly killed. The gun itself is still intact, but not enough people are manning it to shoot back.

snap702.jpg

German infantryman rushes the trenches, only to be hit by a molotov cocktail. There'll be more behind him though. Two artillery barrages I called in begin firing in front of the trenches to interdict their infantry, hopefully.

snap703.jpg

Meanwhile, because now TWO of the guns aren't firing, the Stug drives in front of our line with impunity. Nobody is firing at it at all. It may look like it, but that's actually one of the gun's crewmen firing at the prone infantryman.

snap704.jpg

Finally, one of the guns is manned again and has a gnarly close range side shot. But it's constantly under fire and is interrupted several times.

snap705.jpg

SHOOT YOU LAZY COMMIE FUCK SHOOT

snap706.jpg

It gets hit and is "immobilized," but keeps moving. I'm thinking the gun has lost what little ability it had to move.

snap707.jpg

But sadly that's the last shot the gun gets off. A few more of the crew die, and no one is manning it. Meanwhile, multiple APCs have come into view, and because of the ravages of the Stug nobody is firing at them. Infantry will follow soon - we could be in deep shit. Now the Stug begins firing on a few of the houses our infantry are holed up in. They won't withstand that for very long. Soon one of the houses is destroyed and it moves on...directly towards one of the unmanned 76.2mms.

snap709.jpg

snap710.jpg

What an asshole. One of the crew is run over and killed, and the gun is completely broken.

snap712.jpg

The surviving crew are taken prisoner.

snap713.jpg

But a funny thing happened. The Stug appears to be a little stuck. It's having trouble moving out of the hole while running over the gun. Now, you can see farther back, the last operational 76.2mm has a clear shot at him through the houses.

snap714.jpg

On fire. That's just what we wanted to see.

snap715.jpg

The hatches open as the crew tries to escape.

snap716.jpg

No dice!

The Stug is finally down but the damage has been done. We've now got a horde of APCs coming at us, and only one gun to deal with them, not to mention all the infantry they'll be coming with.

snap717.jpg

That icon indicates that he's a spotter for Stukas. He hasn't called any this battle, maybe the weather was too bad or something. It'd be nice of we could kill him so we don't have to deal with dive bombers later.

snap718.jpg

I didn't get it in the screen, but an APC just did a drive by on the 40mm AT gun. It too is now completely fucked.

snap719.jpg

They're getting closer. Around now I call in the 50mm mortars that we stationed on the other side of town to start blind firing in the general area now. It's pretty ineffective, mostly.

snap720.jpg

The same APC that ran over the AT gun tries to outflank, but our gun has it in its sights. But it misses every fucking shot and is bypassed. The APC heads off towards the other part of town.

snap721.jpg

The enemy infantry has now reached the trenches. It's not shown well here, but a few of them use the holes for cover.

snap722.jpg

Our gun has another target, but things aren't looking good. It's come under fire and a few crew are down. (this is the house the Stug blew up, btw)

snap724.jpg

Another APC has managed to get around us. Apparently, they're no longer interested in assaulting that line, and are trying to get around to Sokolovo. Well, fortunately, we've got that protected as well.

snap725.jpg

Haha, that never gets old. Anyway, some of the infantry is stuck fighting us ahead of the houses, but they make no progress and take only losses. We lose a few dudes too, but comparatively few.

Unfortunately, trouble crops up elsewhere.

snap727.jpg

At least three APCs confirmed, heading towards our position in Sokolovo. The AT gun on the road already has a shot.

snap728.jpg

Oh dear. Fortunately, they offered a cease fire and I can end this whenever I please. But I stay a little, to see if the AT gun will knock out any more of these APCs. I also order the 50mm mortars to fire in the middle of that congregation over there. I don't expect they'll hit any APCs, but they should tag a few infantrymen that are coming up behind.

snap730.jpg

Works even better than expected. I didn't manage to screenshot it because the APC left line of sight right after it hit, but miraculously one of the mortars DID manage to strike an APC, and I believe it was completely put out of commission.

snap731.jpg

Sadly, the piece of shit 40mm gun begins to turn around to engage one of the APCs that bypassed our other line and is now threatening the rear here. A few of the crew get shot. The mortars in the back are exposed as well, so I decide now would be a good time to accept the cease fire, before the AI realizes it's going to crush me and withdraws the offer.

snap732.jpg

Looks good, until you realize I started with four units and they with two. We're not doing so well.

snap733.jpg

Well that's good. A look at the other German unit reveals it lost 3 APCs and had one damaged. So, they lost a tank destroyer and four APCs, while we lost three guns. Well, you'd think that's quite good. APCs and TDs are alot more costly than mere anti-tank guns and those losses surely favor glorious Mother Russia. But this game isn't about the war as a whole - it's about a very small section of it, and in that small section those losses just fucked us up badly. It didn't occur to me when deploying that the gun behind the house might have a good enough line of sight to engage enemies in front of it. Turns out that it did, on several occasions. Had I put the guns behind the infantry position rather than in front of them, we probably would have taken less materiel losses. Really, it came down to me not expecting the StuG. If they only had APCs, I'm pretty sure they'd have been shot up badly.

snap734.jpg

Back on the operational map you can see we've lost some ground. One of the infantry units has retreated back to the center of Sokolovo. Hope that doesn't have any dire consequences.

snap735.jpg

And this is why. The unit isn't completely broken, but look at all those losses. The green number is remaining personnel, the yellow is wounded, and the red is dead or too wounded to fight again. Rage. And the gun is, of course, completely fucked.

snap736.jpg

We have no proper AT gun to replace it, so I use a 50mm mortar instead. Those were pretty handy last time. I also replace the more badly damaged squads with fresh ones because we have no reserve manpower to simply reinforce them. One of the replacements is a 14.5mm anti-tank rifle crew. In lieu of proper AT guns, they may be our salvation against the APCs. Let's check it out.

snap737.jpg

Yep. It can penetrate frontally at any reasonable range that it'd be realistically firing at, and the sides are no problem. It's lower caliber and non-explosive of course, so you can't expect one hit to have the dramatic effect that a 76.2mm would have, but with enough hits hopefully we can kill off the crew, or put a slug through the engine block.

snap738.jpg

And this is the graph of our 76.2mms firing at the StuG. Frontally, only one type of ammo can even penetrate, and then only at 200 meters or less. As for the 40mm gun, well, heh. I don't think it really had a chance.

That'll be all for now.

Yeesh

Magister
Re: ACHTUNG! Codex! Let's Defend Kharkov, in 1943 (Update

overtenemy said:
What an asshole. One of the crew is run over and killed, and the gun is completely broken.

What an asshole. For some reason that part made me laugh out loud.

This game is looking like a worthy successor to Close Combat, I say out of my ass. Could it be?

EDIT: A helpful quote google translated from a German review:
Who wants to friend and foe alike, keep an eye must rotate very much in the 3D view and zoom.

overtenemy

Augur
Re: ACHTUNG! Codex! Let's Defend Kharkov, in 1943 (Update

Yeesh said:
overtenemy said:

This game is looking like a worthy successor to Close Combat, I say out of my ass. Could it be?

It's probably most analogous to the more recent Combat Mission games, especially in the way buildings and artillery work. I prefer this, of course, but as to whether or not its a good successor to anything is probably not a question best posed to me. You may have noticed, I'm a bit of a fanboy.

Also,

Who wants to friend and foe alike, keep an eye must rotate very much in the 3D view and zoom.

wat

:retarded:

No really I don't understand what the hell that means. Is he basically telling you to look around? Thanks for the protip.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Downloaded the game yesterday and I gotta say its a little difficult to get into... The "tutorial" is horrible as all it does is highlight a single button (of which there's like 30-50 in all) every couple of seconds and tells you what the button does. So you have to sit there for ages if you want to go through all of them and of course by the end you don't remember what any of them were. Camera control is weird too. Clicking on minimap to make camera go there gives unpredictable results. dragging cursor to edge of the screen to make camera go that way seems to have some kind of delay, as in you drag it one way, go over so try to drag it the other way, except it keeps going the first direction for another second before attempting to go the way you're dragging it at that point.

Lots of potential though, I just need to get through this learning phase.

overtenemy

Augur
HELLO FRIENDS

snap739.jpg

This is how things look after the last encounter. Sadly, we lost some of the ground that one of my infantry units was chilling on, so it retreated back into the city. A real pity. It's about to bite us in the ass, but it's particularly irritating because if I wasn't so completely retarded, I could have moved it right back into the square and re-occupied it, since the German unit didn't follow up. This is going to fuck me up in a moment.

snap740.jpg

The two mechanized units attack in the same spot, but they'll be dealing with one less unit of ours because as previously mentioned, it has retreated. And in the West, a tank unit we couldn't even see previously rolls right up and attacks the weak western flank I mentioned in the last post. Things about to get ugly.

snap741.jpg

I decide to deal with the southern attack first.

I'm fairly certain that, despite the losses we've inflicted on their APCs so far, they will still for the most part be mechanized. Seeing as how we just barely won last engagement, and how we're now fighting down a unit, I abandon the idea of defending multiple squares and pull back all units to both the most important and most defensible position, East Sokolovo.

snap743.jpg

Close to the "key point" of West Sokolovo is a triangle of houses where we've held up once already. This time, I position the infantry in the houses around the triangle, with our three 50mm mortars inside. To either side is a machine gun, and an anti-tank rifle. On the left, the anti-tank rifle is hiding in a house because it wasn't able to dig in. On the bottom left is our one and only functional gun for this fight. I positioned it near the largest intersection, so that it'd be able to fire on approaching APCs from the most directions once we've spotted them. If they approach from multiple sides, I'll pull it into the middle of the houses and hopefully take pot shots from safely within.

The idea, once again, is that hopefully the machine guns will be able to ambush the APCs and penetrate their armor if they fire from the side. To be honest, I find it unlikely, but what am I to do?

snap744.jpg

5 minutes in, Malachite 1 is the first point to go. They'll be approaching from that general direction, more than likely.

snap745.jpg

I also at this point notice that our 76.2mm gun has no fucking ammunition. I thought I hit auto-resupply during the operational phase, but maybe not. Or maybe there was just no ammo to be had. Either way, that's fucking bullshit, and I'm now considerably less confident about a position outcome. Not having the gun there really weakens the position. I move it into the middle, hoping it won't get fucked in the ensuing fight.

snap746.jpg

15 minutes or so later, I figure they might be pretty close, so I order the artillery spotter to have flares launched where I figure they'd be. They land sort of far away.

snap748.jpg

APC spotted, but it's not moving towards us. It veers off to the right and leaves our sight.

snap749.jpg

The next batch of flares lands right on us. Brilliant. Hope they didn't see.

snap753.jpg

Another APC is spotted, more to the left. I have the mortars fire a few rounds and hope for a lucky shot. Nothing.

snap754.jpg

Back on the right hand side, and APC is spotted very close by.

snap756.jpg

It drives around our infantry stationed in the buildings, none of whom manage to get a molotov cocktail off, and drives...straight through the center of our position. Our mortars fire a few close range shots at it, and fortunately it doesn't manage to see them. Or if it did, it didn't bother to stop and fire.

snap757.jpg

Looks nice, but he actually gets away. Insane. He drove RIGHT through our entire position and escaped. So now we're beginning to be surrounded. I wish that gun had ammo...

snap758.jpg

Meanwhile on the left, I order the machine gun to open fire and he engages the APC. It penetrates a few times, but nothing really happens. Nothing is damaged and no crew are dead. Behind the APC, you'll notice I have the anti-tank rifle crew in a building, but apparently the building doesn't have a window facing the APC's current position.

snap761.jpg

So while the APC rushes towards the machine gun, I order him outside the building to get a better shot. It works. The anti-tank rifle penetrates, and soon the APC turns around in an attempt to escape.

snap763.jpg

It seems to get away, but I'm pretty sure most of the crew is dead.

snap764.jpg

Back on the right, where the first APC approached from, infantry follows in its wake. I order our mortars to fire, immediately producing excellent results. I've also called in an artillery barrage, but it'll be a few minutes.

snap766.jpg

That's the machine gun that squared off against the APC earlier with the help of an anti-tank rifle. Unfortunately, I sent off the anti-tank rifle squad anticipating an attack from the direction of Malachite. Turns out we've been flanked by at least one other APC, this one housing the aircraft spotter.

snap767.jpg

It doesn't go well.

snap768.jpg

Most of the crew gets gunned down, and the gun is eventually abandoned. The APC then drives off before I can get the ATR crew on the scene.

snap771.jpg

Back on the other front, infantry tried gaining some ground on us, but between the mortar fire, the artillery barrage that's now started, and fire from the two forward infantry squads, they get cut to fucking pieces.

snap775.jpg

Things quiet down at this point. There appears to be some scattered infantry, but nothing major. The artillery barrage I called rages on, since I figure there's still some enemies over there, and it lights some shit on fire and apparently manages to score a direct hit on an APC.

snap777.jpg

Now that's lucky. It almost cancels out our lone heavy gun having no ammunition.

snap778.jpg

Ilmenite 2 has been captured now as well, so that means that they've once again split their forces and we've got more coming at us.

snap779.jpg

A few minutes later, from that direction, an APC appears. The ATR and machine gun I have positioned there open fire at a pretty decent range.

snap780.jpg

Too bad it doesn't work for shit and before I know it the machine gun is out of commission.

snap782.jpg

The position is being rushed by infantry as well. In that screenshot, a German rifleman actually jumped into the anti-tank rifle trench and got stabbed to death.

snap783.jpg

Funny though that may have been, I didn't really position the anti-tank rifle very well. The German infantry overruns the position, taking no crossfire from the infantry units I had placed in the houses. We're running awfully low on units that can reliably destroy APCs...Speaking of which, the 50mm mortars are now out of ammo.

snap784.jpg

I call artillery on the infantry infested position, I but I let the initial barrage that destroyed the APC run for so long that we're a bit low on ammo. Still a few good hits get in.

snap785.jpg

Artillery victims by the trench.

snap788.jpg

The enemy has called artillery on us as well, but for the most part it strikes nothing interesting. Because we're all in houses, it either has to strike very close to the window, causing the shrapnel to hit somebody positioned by the window, or simply get lucky and strike the house itself. This particular house got wasted, but no one was inside it. All in all, fairly negligible.

snap789.jpg

I order the last ATR crew we have, who I had take position in the first machine gun's trench over towards the fight.

snap790.jpg

Meanwhile, a few of the ammoless gun's crewmen die. The gun itself remains intact, fortunately, but it means we're now taking losses inside our position.

snap791.jpg

The APC cruises along the road from the direction of the latest attack, oblivious to the infantrymen hiding in the houses next to it. It takes a few hits from grenades and cocktails, then stops, although not completely destroyed. Our ATR crew is on a collision course with it, so we'll have them mop it up with finality.

snap794.jpg

Back at the fight, the enemy infantry gains a little ground and we take a loss here and there, but for the most part they're getting shot up and we're winning the internet. This is largely because they're not being directly supported by any APCs anymore.

snap795.jpg

The ATR crew arrives on the scene of the immobilized APC, and notices there's some infantry to the right of the road. Freaking out, I tell them to take defensive positions in the houses to the left of the road as quickly as possible, but...

snap796.jpg

I didn't tell them to hold fire, so they got off a shot, got spotted, and then raped horribly before they managed to escape.

snap797.jpg

At this point, I figure the initial attack they commenced has died off, so I take the infantry I had on that position and bring them towards the newest fight, around where the ATR crew died. Sadly, as they're running towards houses to chill in, they get fucked up pretty bad by the enemy hiding in the forests. Goddamn it. You'll also notice that the key point has been captured by the Germans, probably because they have a higher troop concentration in the square than I do. We can accept a cease fire at this point, but that'd mean giving up the territory. I say fuck that. I think we're doing fairly well.

snap798.jpg

The little yellow men represent infantry that we've spotted, but have left line of sight. The firefight has mostly died down now, and they appear to have withdrawn. So I gather up my remaining dudes, remove them from their defensive positions, and march them at the keypoint, hoping to recapture it before I accept the cease fire so that we won't have lost the ground back on the operational map.

snap800.jpg

We finish off that APC on the road.

snap801.jpg

At this point, I'm half convinced it's a bug that's not allowing me to capture the point back. We're walking through the forests around it, and encounter nothing.

snap806.jpg

We finally spot an APC driving along the road. I rush my men through the forest after it, hoping to ambush it, or at the very least destroy it with some losses. They have machine guns, but we have potato.

snap807.jpg

Ohgod it was a tarp. Along the way, we encounter some German infantry lying prone in the forest. A firefight ensues.

snap809.jpg

Unfortunately, they still seem to have at least three operational vehicles. I've really done it this time.

snap811.jpg

There's one! Comrade Lom, slay him with your potato!!!

snap812.jpg

Sadly Comrade Lom gets blown the fuck up before he can get off a potato cocktail, and shortly after the rest of our forces get mopped up, and we're considered broken and forced to retreat. Goddamn it.

snap813.jpg

It was close. They lost a few APCs that fight, and had a few others damaged with losses to crew. But I'm really kicking myself in the fucking head right now. If I either had ammunition for the 76.2mm, or the other infantry company available in that fight, it would have been a complete victory. As it stands...

snap814.jpg

Things don't look so bad from the overall campaign screen. In fact, we've amazingly managed to close the gap in dead infantry! On the farthest left, you'll see a score that says 13-1 for me, and 12-1 for the Germans. This is the amount of companies deployed in total, and the amount of companies broken. We both have 1 now, which means in that last fight, one of our infantry companies must be permanently destroyed. But, thankfully, so is one of their mechanized infantry units. That's a fair trade.

Anyway, regarding the tank battle, it was attacking our weakest flank, and would have only had to deal with two companies in not terribly defensible areas. We had three operational guns, and it was night time, so we might have had a chance if it was ONLY the tank platoon attacking us. Unfortunately, the mechanized recon platoon would've been there as well. So instead of standing and dying, albeit possibly with some tank kills, I ordered a retreat, so that we might better defend the center of Sokolovo, the key point of this operation.

snap815.jpg

Unfortunately, you can see the infantry company retreated to the Northwest somehow. No idea. That means he's pretty much cut off at this point. I don't think I'll be able to get him safely back to Sokolovo. He'll simply have to join this line of cunts on the north that I have no control over. The 76.2mm guns fell back in the right direction however, confirming my belief that this was the correct decision. If the Germans want to attack the center of Sokolovo now, they'll have to deal with three companies, and some functional weapons (now with ammo!) God, when are my fucking tanks getting here?

Cassidy

Arcane
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-299-1805-10%2C_Nordfrankreich%2C_Panzer_VI_%28Tiger_I%29.jpg

I wonder if this game put some of these against your forces in the mid-late game. If a Stug can do that much damage, imagine what a Tiger I could do...

... if it doesn't break down due to mechanical failures along the way.

Phelot

Arcane
We must do patriotic duty and drive forward to page 2!

Great LP BTW

overtenemy

Augur
I wonder if this game put some of these against your forces in the mid-late game. If a Stug can do that much damage, imagine what a Tiger I could do...

... if it doesn't break down due to mechanical failures along the way.

The devs aimed to be as historically accurate as possible. I mean REALLY. They went pretty nuts with it. Just look at the terrain trailer. Unfortunately, that means when a certain unit wasn't available in our very specific location...well, there are no Tigers in any of the operations. Sad, eh? But wait! It's been confirmed that Achtung Panzer: Operation Star will have Tigers, among other things.

As for how much damage they'll do, well, I don't know how you'll fucking deal with them at all as the Soviets. It doesn't seem likely that mechanical failure will be modeled, since the operational map isn't all that large. Tiger failure was the sort of issue that'd come either from driving a long distance, or driving on shitty terrain. In Achtung Panzer, if you have a Tiger, it's sort of already arrived on scene, so it rules out the possibility that they'll fuck themselves. The only things I can think of is that since the game will be about Operation Star, the Soviet offensive after Stalingrad, that the Soviets will considerably outnumber the Germans. And maybe you'll have some KV-1s and IS-2s to help out instead of T-34s, which would just be cannon fodder.

Great LP overtenemy keep it up (I'll use it as guide to get going Salute )

Thanks, but you should probably use this LP to show you what NOT to do. Preeeeetty sure I'm going to lose. Just wait for the next update. It's made of AIDS.

We must do patriotic duty and drive forward to page 2!

Yeah it'd be nice if this could get to page 2, without me having to resort to trolling or spamming my own thread. Page 1 is gonna get pretty huge, pretty soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom