Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Worst Bioware antagonist?

• Saverok(BG1)

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Jon Irenicus(BGII)

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Saren(ME1)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Darth Malak(KotOR)

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Amelyssan(Throne of Baal)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Maugrim(NWN)

• Heurodis(The other NWN expansion)

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Mephistopheles(Hordes of the Underdark)

• Master Li(Jade Empire)

• Harbinger(ME2, 3)

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Sovereign(ME1)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Archdemon(DA:O)

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Corypheus(DAII, DA:I)

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • Loghain(DA:O)

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Illusive Man(me2,3)

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • The Gigantic Terminator Robot from the end of ME2

Votes: 29 17.7%
  • Solas(Tresspasser DLC)

• Meredith (DAII)

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Death's Hand(Jade Empire)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kai Leng

Votes: 21 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Self-Ejected

The Game Analists

Self-Ejected
[deleted]

Last edited:

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oh boy, Bioware hasn't been very good with antagonists outside Irenicus. I would say Dragon Age villains take the cake though (all three of them), as they manage to undermine the point of their games' plots

Loghain's actions make no sense for a character that's supposedly patriotic to a fault. He is a cartoon villain that attemts to pass as a tragic and complex character.

Meredith is a disaster of a character for the opposite reasons as Loghain. For the moral conflict of the entire game to make sense and have purpose, her actions need to be based in logic, even if somewhat warped, but no, she's gone completely insane due to red lyrium and wants to murder the entire circle even when the culprit of blowing up the chantry is an apostate that never was part of Kirkwall's circle. Siding with the templars is a choice for zealots and psychopats, and not the grey dilema that the game has tried to built during its entire run thanks to Meredith's craziness.

Corypheus is just lame as fuck. They built him for an entire act, only for then undermine his efforts continiously. Instead the terrifying and powerful menace that the writers clearly wanted him to be, he comes of as a pathetic loser who does everything wrong.

Honestly, the Arishock is the only antagonist that comes of as intended by the writers in Dragon Age, and maybe the ones from the Awakening expansion, but those are not developed that much.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Nobody on the Codex played all those games. I mean they are Bioware games. Dating simulations. Written by SJWs and homosexuals. It's inconceivable that anyone here can have played the latest Bioware games, unless it was to be able to participate in this poll.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Thanks for reminding me NWN1 antagonist name, though it was random nameless archdemon or some shit to kick ass, I knew there was boss fight after slaping the shit out of paladin elf bitch but for the life can't remember anything from that.
Beside BG games I played JE and ME1 both p.meh. Can't say about rest. All of them got forgettable antagoinsts and protagonists.

Voted Irenicus, although his motives and backstory cheapened him, still, compared to all other antagonists and villains he has at least menacing and layered. Sarevok was effective, but too cartoonish in his villainy.

Can't remember shit about Darth Malak. Maugrim who? Somebody did really finish OC? Never played expansions to NWN1, and never played Jade Empire, so I can't comment. Saren was a rather pathetic idiot. Harbinger was literary a plot device, as was Archdemon. Sovereign could've been good but with better writers. Corypheus and Meredith - who? I remember mutated mage and mutated templar aunty at the end, oh, and how I finally got to kill Anders. Both the mage and the aunty were retarded. Loghain was pathetic, and who the fuck explains his villain's motivations only with in some shitty tie-in novel? The Illusive Man could've been good, but they fucked him up as they did everything in ME3.
So the worst and the most pathetic villain, IMO, is the current year Bioware itself.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
latest

latest

e24f2612e5819f2172d2b6075b2454a0.jpg

pippin

Irenicus is a shit character which is only held up by David Warner's performance. Also, in many aspects, Sarevok is barely a character.

The Illusive Man in ME2 had the best potential of them all, almost like an independent chaotic neutral faction, but then Bioware shat the bad as they always do and made him into a chaotic stupid character.

Freddie

Savant
Harbringer, no contest. Turned the supposed villains into shittalking jokes.
For a moment I was between the two with Harbinger and The Gigantic Terminator Robot from the end of ME2. Went with Terminator when I recalled what shock that crap was in the end of game.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Kai Leng if he counts and the Illusive Man for overstaying his welcome. Amelyssan can't hold a candle to Irenicus or Sarevok either, but then that was an expansion and not a full game. I'd forgotten she existed, to be honest.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
The Human reaper (The Gigantic Terminator Robot from the end of ME2), He is the only character in the game with a decent character arc that showed growth and development throughout the game.

Obviously I'm kidding, I would have to say illusive man, but TBH bioware doesn't make great antagonist. They are usually always one dimensional and their motives tend to make little sense.

donkeymong

Scholar
For a moment I was between the two with Harbinger and The Gigantic Terminator Robot from the end of ME2. Went with Terminator when I recalled what shock that crap was in the end of game.

The players had to endure Harbringer much longer then the thankfully mute human reaper.

Freddie

Savant

The players had to endure Harbringer much longer then the thankfully mute human reaper.
That is a good point and up to how player deals with it. I just sort of muted it after a while, considering it as a somewhat old and senile creature rambling. Harbinger was responsible for the Collectors and so for 'Human Reaper' which had four eyes...

And for some reason poll doesn't include Kai Leng like Talby pointed out. Oh goodness, BW is a gift that just keeps giving.

ThoseDeafMutes

Learned
I haven't played NWN or Jade Empire.

I voted The Illusive Man based on the fact that he was turned into just another antagonist. He was initially presented as ruthless but pragmatic in service of a goal that you could agree with in principle - stopping the Reapers. He did not necessarily represent an antagonist; in a broad sense, his actions symbolized the renegade side of the game, getting the job done at any cost. By transforming him into just another insane indoctrinated person in ME3 they sucked all remaining nuance out of the series. If you sided with him tenuously at the end of ME2, too bad, he's now evil and none of your choices made any difference. You're railroaded down the same path in ME3, there are no alternatives and Cerberus is now the big bad for a full 50% of the game.

Doubly awful because Martin Sheen gave a great performance, one of the most memorable characters from ME2.

purpleblob

Savant
Best = Jon Irenicus - I liked how PC gets chance to learn his personal story, loved dream sequences and voice acting
Good = Amelyssan, Mephistopheles, Sovereign, The Illusive Man
Meh =Sarevok, Saren, Loghain
Bad = Harbinger, Archdemon, The Gigantic Terminator Robot/Human reaper
Worst = Meredith - when she activated statues and stuff, that was a serious wtf moment. But then again, the whole game was batshit crazy and stupid.
??? (didn't finish the game) = Darth Malak, Morag/Maugrim, Heurodis, Master Li, Corypheus, Solas, Death's Hand

Voted Irenicus, although his motives and backstory cheapened him, still, compared to all other antagonists and villains he has at least menacing and layered. Sarevok was effective, but too cartoonish in his villainy.

Isn't the poll for worse Bioware villain?

Last edited:

Keye_

Educated
The Gigantic Terminator Robot from the end of ME2 was the worst for me. I felt like it came out of nowhere and it really had no build-up or connection with the other enemies you fight throughout the game.

Best has to be Jon Irenicus for me. I find the dreams well done and he delivers some great monologues. Also great voice acting. The way he can wreck everyone at the beginning of the game was very impressive and it was satisfying character progression to be able to beat him in the end.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Illusive Man was OK, too bad he felt retconned in ME3 because ME2 spend too much effort showing his position makes sense to add edginess.

Adding giant robot from ME2 is unfair. Same with Archdemon from DAO. Those are representations of menace, not real antagonists. Our of "real" ones Corypheus is probably the worst one. So much time spent on him and his motivations yet he remains vague and undefined. Plus he hijacks the story of legitimately interesting conflict of Mages VS Templars where - gasp! - both sides actually have their points.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Voted Archdemon. A force of nature is never an interesting antagonist. Loghain was much better and chopping his traitorous head off felt really good.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
The Illusive Man. While Loghain and the Reaper are boring, TIM is supposed to be the ultimative brillant strategist of the ME-Universe. Instead he comes accross as this pathetic loser in a fancy suit, that never shows any feeling, no matter how often I flip the bird and call him a idiot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom