Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Roguelike About Darkest Dungeon..

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Started the game few days ago and only liked so far aesthetics, music and TB combat. The sidescrolling dungeon layout downright sucks; is pretty much a glorified RNG walker, the only deterministic things are the way you choose to interact with curios, but everything else happens randomly.

This wouldn't have been much of an issue if It wasn't for the scouting chances and the hunger tiles. It boils down to go forward and find out what RNG has thrown in there. Also, the inventory size fell short to the amount of odds and ends you find across an expedition. Not surprisingly, that the dungeon design also hinders the narrative rethoric loosely inspired by Allan Poe and Lovecraft's work; all the inherent thrill and mysteries of the literature sources are banalized by the blatant setting of randomly generated stages, where the goal is to do MMO chores. IMO narrator would have work better on a typical dungeon crawler setting.

Anyways, combat encounters are the only reason I keep on playing. Lately, I've been using the following team comps:

A) Occult/Jester/Abom/Crusader
aABcdhB.png
Abom is the main damage output. Occult pulls backliners towards his reach. The others provide support. Occ and jester are too reliant of dodge for survivavility.

B) GraveRob/PlagueDoc/GraveRob/Crusader
AfvWPiR.png
I'm fond of shuffle teams like this one. I want to attempt pitch black runs with this crew. The idea is to blight first before lunging with the grave robbers.

C) ManAtArms/HoundMaster/Vestal/Leper

gRzIDI5.png
Throwaway team I used for a long dungeon. Probably going to discard it.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Also, I considering setup the following team for weald and warrens stages: Occult/Plague Doc/Jester/ManAtArms. Bleeding and debuffing first turn and finish with jester's finale.

By the way, how much of an improvement is the Pitch black mod Overhaul?.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom