Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aarklash: Legacy, RTwP tactical RPG from Cyanide

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished it now. Ended up switching from Hard to Ragnorak in Act 2 (right after you get the whole party), did not notice much difference in how I played. Dodge everything that can be manually dodged and don't miss with your aimed abilities, or someone will probably die. Depending on which party member it is, that can lead to a reload. Most fights are fun, but the bosses are a bit dull. They are just one enemy with a bunch of HP and heaps of abilities. As you are only watching one enemy the whole time, they end up being easier than a lot of the packs of enemies you fight on every map. Act 3 encounters with an Organist and Master of Puppets were probably the toughest thing for my team. MoPs 15s charm that can't be interrupted because of the Organists anti-control buff :x + the healers that usually came with them. Died 4 times before I cleared one pack, then had another with even more healers. 3 more load screens.

From Act 2 onwards they start throwing some puzzles at you. All Act 2 ones are boring time wasters, except the black disk ones. I quite liked the Act 3 stuff, better than ToH that's for sure :lol: .

Worst part of the game is when you have a fight won, usually after killing 2-3 members of a pack, and then it is just watching auto attacks through the HP of what is left. The remaining enemies are no threat, but you just have to work through the bloat. Shit is dull. Also, it is really short and there is no reason to replay it, unless you want to try a different team on the same fights. Or up the difficulty from a previous playthrough (I will probably play the early game again on ragnorak at some point).

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
*cautiously steps foot into the strategy forum*

So like... is this true RPG RtWP combat, or is this more RTS style like Dawn of War 2?

*backs away slowly*

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is on sale at gog for 7 bucks sounds like a pretty good deal for that price...impulse buy yay or nay?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I just finished the game and I think if someone was a fan of World of Warcraft (not really for me), they would enjoy this.

+ There are a small amount of really unique characters mixed in with the generic ones. The steampunk, cybernetic warrior and the goblin with the tophat were two fun character designs.
+ I like how you can continually customize your skill trees so you can experiment with multiple combinations. Really neat.
+ Having 8 characters to flip back and forth from with different strengths and weaknesses was also a plus, as was the experiments with party builds.
+ I liked that the heroes were overpowered repo men. That's a background you don't see hardly at all.
+ There seemed to be some backlore and history in the world that could have used some padding. Other pieces of lore are trivialized to push the story. Ultimately, I felt there was an interesting setting in there if someone better could have done something with it.
+ The game was programmed well. I have an old Toshiba that gives me trouble on the poorly coded Expeditions Conquistadors and I also had graphics issues with Unrest. This game ran smoothly despite my not having the appropriate graphics card, and despite being more graphically and sound intensive than the aforementioned games.
+/- The dialogue was fine with the sound off, horrible with the sound on. With the sound off I could pretend these were seasoned soldiers, sardonically bitching and moaning about their task. With the sound on, the over-the-top voice acting was jarring. For instance, the dwarf character Frinz says, "We've all broken bread together." It's a simple statement with some depth, describing how they have worked, slept and eaten along with one another for a long time even before the story starts. But add in a horrible Scottish accent and overzealous screeching and you have a greater desire to punch Frinz in the face than ponder the meaning of his words. So the dialogue is alright with the sound off. Except for Wendaroo. She was annoying no matter what happened.
- The game is fun for the first 30 minutes, but it reminded me of Dungeon Siege where you are simply going from one combat to the next. Later this is broken up with puzzles, but the puzzles grew repetitious and annoying also.
- Because the game never takes a break, you find yourself getting used to all the bodies and skeletons in Act 2. There is so much graphical darkness and bleak landscapes in this game that you become accustomed to it and it ceases to have an effect.
- The inventory system is limited. There are four equipment slots and little variety behind stat boosts.
- No economy.
- No greater world building. Why do I care that the world is going to end, when from my perspective it's just full of arseholes anyway?
- Save the world plot.
- WTF ending.
- Little variety in the enemies or their tactics, though some boss battles helped change things up.
- Fuckin' level caps. If I want to explore the entire game, you should reward me somehow like in unique and very powerful equipment or higher levels due to my efforts. This game did neither.

So buy the game if you like World of Warcraft or think Dungeon Siege wasn't all that dull after the first few hours. If you are all about the combat and like real time with pause, this may also be a keeper. Now I'm off to see if this laptop can handle Blackguards. If it can't, maybe I'll fire up Realms of Arkania or Daggerfall.

Felix

Arcane
Talk about Cyanide, I wonder what the writers fot GoT RPG was doing.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The party you start the game with is the most efficient and powerful. I never saw a reason to change party members unless the game forced me to.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
The party you start the game with is the most efficient and powerful. I never saw a reason to change party members unless the game forced me to.

Same.

Except, for some fights i added undead mage instead of ratling rogue.

Delayed magic bomb is very good to AOE enemies.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I finished the mostly with undead mage and dwarven demo guy. Their AoE damage potantial was a bit over the top which helped clearing trash mobs a lot.
This is one of the most boring games I've played. Probably because of fighting same groups over and over, boring puzzles and totally WTF story.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's a shame the game has so much HP bloat. Imagine if the units had heaps of abilities, a proper item system and combat didn't take as long to kill stuff. Would be pretty fun then ... but yeah it gets old fast. Otherwise the game feels really nice to play/control and runs smooth as butter.

Johannes

Arcane
So what's the final verdict on this game, what are the pros and cons? Is there any merit to stuff besides combat here? How common are interesting boss fights compared to trash mobs? How long is the game overall?

Good for what it is, or something else?

imweasel

The game fell under my radar for some reason, but there is a demo of it on Steam so I am going to try it out now.

It is also on sale on Bundlestars for 3 Dollars/Euros ATM, which seems like a good price for a decent RTwP RPG.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I would like some thoughts of the players:
  1. How is this combat system compared to Pillars of Eternity like?
  2. Do you find it more challenging/fun than Path of the Damned difficulty?

Blackstaff

Arbiter
I would like some thoughts of the players:
  1. How is this combat system compared to Pillars of Eternity like?
  2. Do you find it more challenging/fun than Path of the Damned difficulty?
It sucks, even compared to PoE.

You have the freedom to move your unit, but it plays less like an rpg and more like a schmup : shoot when the cool down has passed and avoid the shots of other pewpew.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'll put it this way: the Tyranny gameplay videos strongly reminded me of Aarklash: Legacy. But Aarklash had friendly fire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom