Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress AAR: Worms Reloaded

Urist McLurker

Learned
There's obviously many games that haven't been let's played or whatever here on the Codex, and since The Witcher 2 Enchanced Edition came out recently, I thought someone ought to finally get around to an LP of a worms game.
*cough*

You might have some questions such as:

You know this is a horrible idea right? Yes.
Will this be abandoned on page 3? Of course not. I doubt I'll make it to page 2. But at least I attempted the stupid.
Urist McNewfag, why the fuck? Why the fuck not.
I've got a question that's not answered here, despite how thorough your FAQ is, how can you answer it for me? Ask it and I'll answer it.

As some of you know, worms is about a game where you play as a team of worms with a lot of weapons in attempts to create world peace by destroying anything that disagrees with your ideology (insert tactless joke here)
That's basically it. Somehow Team17 has made this into a series of sixty-four thousand games or whatever.
So let's see how it is.
This'll be an AAR because it's more like an after action review/report than a let's play, since I'll be playing it, then reviewing what I just played, rather than playing it as a review it. Or whatever the fuck the difference between an AAR and LP is meant to be. Anyway, let's get on with it.
tejNOh.jpg

Ignore the stupid placement of the worm-hand-cursor thing.
As you can tell from the garish looks, this is a recent worms game! Thankfully it's in 2D so don't worry about that.
t9pMSh.jpg

Don't worry, it's not the team name too. It's just so it's easier for me, otherwise it would be swamped in the many profiles I have of this amazing game.
76iaDh.jpg

And here we are at the real bread and butter of the game.
Customizing your shit. There's too many choices to be made for me to give you any choice, so ha. The look and shit of the worms will change every now and then when I get bored of whatever they look like.
However, naming the worms is fine.
Here's how it'll work:
Name a worm.
Whenever a named worm dies, they're out for good. Perma death, and will be replaced by another named worm. For example if the team is made out of Urist McWormbait, Urist McBadExample, Urist McLurker, and Urist McNewfag, and Urist McWormbait gets killed, his worm (Number 1) will be replaced by a named worm waiting to be used, such as Urist McReallybadexample.
When we run out of named worms, then I'll count it as game over.
That means if we team wipe, it's not game over, unless there's no names to replace the worms that have been wiped.
If there's less than 4 named worms on the team, if the match is won, but all the named worms die, then it's game over.
Stupid rules out of the way, there's one last thing, the team name. Basically, whoever the hell suggests a team name first, will decide the team name(as long as they name a worm too).
So roll up for dwarfing worming.
Currently there's no named dwarves worms, if no one fancies being dwarfed wormed, one of the dwarves(overusedjoke) worms will be named Urist McLurker and we'll see where that goes.
Oh, and you can suggest someone else for worming. But only after your own worm has been killed.
Alt codes aren't allowed because the game hates cool, and there's a size limit
If the name you pick is longer(compared to my own username) than this:
AAAAAAAAAAAA

Urist McLurker

it won't fit.
We'll be doing the storyline first, then the challenges or whatever this game has then buying all of the awesome loot you can buy in the shop, and after that point I guess I'll count it as game completed.

Current squad ingame:

Erebus = Ereburist McZilch Kills: 19
Lindblum = Purist McKodex Kills: 0

Fallen squad members heroes:
Esquilax = EsqUrist McClane Kills: 0
Ærelian = Aurist McRelian Kills: 0
Peter = Peter McUrist Kills: 4
Tripjack = Urist McJack Kills: 18
hoverdog = Hoverurist Kills: 1
SerratedBiz = Son of Sam Kills: 8
dextermorgan = Dexter McLeod Kills: 7
AstralStorm = Incline McEpic Kills = 0
lightbane = JCAskedforthis Kills = 10
dextermorgan = Vlad The Impaler Kills = 1
Tripjack = McJack Jr. Kills = 14
Urist McLurker = Urist McLurker Kills = 0
Betamin = Beta McMin Kills = 7

Named Worms lineup:

Erebus

Arcane
Ereburist McZilch

I've played the demo of a few Worms games and they were pretty entertaining, though I got the feeling that multiplayer would be more fun.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Fuck that was quick.
I better get started on the first update.

Worms games are in their prime peak with hotseat local multiplayer, many a grand evenings spent playing worms with the family are in my memory banks. Dunno about non-local multiplayer though.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Esquilax John EsqUrist McClane is sadly too long for the character limit that I didn't know the game had, which it turns out is 16 characters which is entirely my fault for not actually testing.
I can either have it as John EsqUrist Mc, or you can pick a different name.
EDIT: Actually, it turns out it isn't a character limit, it's a limit on the size of the name, which most likely has something to do with gameplay, as such in lower case, it goes to john esturist mcc which makes the world of difference I'm sure.
Basically if the name picked is longer than 'John EsqUrist Mc' it won't fit.

Ærelian Also because it turns out this game doesn't like funky names, I'm afraid alt codes don't work, and neither does copy and pasting. Again, something I ought to have checked, but simply assumed with this being a worms game, would be kool & the gang with it.

Urist McLurker

Learned
GoO57h.jpg

And here's our squad. Forgive any typos that might come up, my memory is awful, you can't play this game windowed mode(which is how I play _every_ game) without some shit I ain't willing to do, and you can't copy and paste. So yeah.

BYz33h.jpg

Going to singleplayer, there's some training that can be done. I know how to play the game (albeit I'm rusty) but I thought it would be a good thing to try out to explain a couple of things better.

gMI9bh.jpg

Ahh, our beautiful team on its first mission. I can feel the incline coming to the Worms series already.

zK8hNh.jpg

We're the one in the predator helmet. Why is there a predator helmet in this game as a choice? Don't be stupid.
There's two, I picked the more predatory one. Our soundbank is robot thing cyberworms (I tried to find a soundbank for you guys to hear, but I couldn't find one/didn't look hard enough. Think of the borg instead.)
ZQtf0h.jpg

(imageclipfail) The worm doesn't have a name because this is shitty training, so let's assume it's Urist McLurker rather than one of the named worms. Awesome jump is awesome.
Water is a one hit kill by the way, so avoiding it is good.
UVPvDh.jpg

There's two kinds of jump here, the backflip which is a high backwards jump, and the normal jump, which is a longer forward jump. Used to be a sort of upwards hop, but I dunno if that's in this one.
GEmaIh.jpg

Jumping outta the way, and fucking with the camera totally covered, it's time to train weapons. I naturally go for the greatest standard worms weapon of all time, the shotgun.
:incline: 'I'VE GOT A SHOTGUN' Urist cried out.
PIQobh.jpg

Only to die inside when the laser site fired up. :decline:

:rpgcodex: Okay, who ruined my shotgun? The best thing about the shotgun has always been pulling off sniper shots across the map by skill and actual fore-thought, not by having the game do it for you. I mean, there was like, a power up that gave you laser dot sights, but this is defaultly on. I wonder if you can turn it off or something..
The shotgun can fire twice, once you fire the first shot, you're stuck with the weapon, but you can actually still move around, until most other weapons, which means you can take that potshot, and move yourself into the perfect place for a second one. I fucking love the shotgun weapon. Each shot does 25 damage.
NViI2h.jpg

Here's an awesome backflip outta the way of a dynamite that's about to blow up. The dynamite is the de-facto 'I've got shit to clear, and clear it I shall' weapon. It does a max of 75 damage, has a timer of five seconds so you can get outta dodge, and blows up a chunk of land(though the tutorial has indestructible land on)
xfuahh.jpg

Here's the bazooka, the default weapon of worms. The key thing about it is that it's prone to gravity and the wind, which allow for truly skilled shots around defences right onto the worm you're aiming for who thought he was so goddamn safe in his bunker.
JZf7Nh.jpg

Here's the computer teacher firing the bazooka fully charged, the charge changes how powerful the shot is, no charge = you hit yourself. It does the basic 45 damage at max.
8xPq0h.jpg

The grenade(boring, is fused, bounces off walls and stuff, and takes skill like the bazooka to be pro at, 45 damage)
and the air strike(target based air attack) are the weapons I missed explaining about because I couldn't be bothered.
1euULh.jpg

Which we won't be doing. We're going straight into the campaign now that you get the rough gist of things.
Very very rough gist, but it's worms, won't take long to get a grasp of at all.

Expect short, but constant updates with this one, because I can't do the updates on the fly, I've gotta check it's worked before moving on, in case it fucks up, so it'll most likely be one mission = one update, so I'll most likely get two updates out a day depending on how things go. Since the action tends to be fast paced(despite it being turn base) I might try a few things to properly AAR/LP it.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Serurist McBiz

Actually, no, to hell with that. Call mine Son of Sam, favored weapon revolver.

Urist McLurker

Learned
JeVVG.jpg

Alright, first mission, here we go. It looks like the areas are split up to city, ye olde England, America, Yorkshire, and Aliens.
a3jZ0h.jpg

See the highest worm? That's Urist McJack the current commander of the Diversity Squad and as such, the first worm we use in a match.
Our first target is the poor little fuck under us with 35hp like a moron.
FtOx2h.jpg

Obvs we gotta get down there first, so we use the parachute.
We've got a lot of weapons to basically deal 70damage with, it's not really that difficult..
MluNTh.jpg

When in a parachute you can drop weapons down onto targets, such as the dynamite, but that's far too crude for Urist McJack.
bBrfTh.jpg

I'VE GOT A SHOTGUN MOTHERFUCKER.
YEAH, FUCK YOU TRAFFIC.
(I guess you could say I got some *sunglasses*
road rage
:yeah:)
Such a brilliant shot potted him into the water, killing him instantly.
pkwQ1h.jpg

But it uh, leaves us with 18 seconds and one more shot left, so I decide to make myself a shelter
QYtYyh.jpg

I can just feel the envy from Ereburist McZilch

Well, with our go over, looks like it's time for Burger to munch onwards and take a bite outta us.
keBbdh.jpg

Some quick moves and he's closing onto Peter McUrist; this is very dangerous, one mildly aimed shot could leave Peter in the water and dead.
kh82qh.jpg

Oh, just as dangerous, a well placed dynamite between Urist and Ereburist could leave one of them dead, and the other very wounded..
be8oBh.jpg

:bravo: Good god. That's a bazooka at point range when he only has 35hp.

I forgot to mention, the AI is famously terrible and equally brilliant, pulling off nigh impossible shots, only to whack themselves with a stick the next turn..
Zfstsh.jpg

It uh, turned out as expected.
ObnFih.jpg

VICTORY.JPG
We got coins or some shit, but whatever, cleaning the decline from new york is reward enough.
nyF7Lh.jpg

Speaking of cleaning, it's time for mission 2.
5iQjgh.jpg

I thought Crusader as a title was the most fitting one.
As you can see, there's two targets here, bally-dead-balls on the left, and stupid fuckwit on the right.
Look at their hats, nothing compared to our prestigious helmets.
0Qsolh.jpg

TEN HUT!
I pick dummy first, equiping a parachute and jumping off the taxi like a pro.
50 hp you say? Gee, I wonder what weapon I'll use.
UVEczh.jpg

Oh yeah. Now we're cookin' with gas.
f5dJKh.jpg

Die swine, you have no place here in an aryan-worm future.
RMKMVh.jpg

Taxi, being the quite original and creative soul that he is, went ontop of the taxi.
The weapon he has is a cluster grenade, basically a grenade, but clustery. Keep up with me so far?
Here's a classic example of the aim computers have
qJchJh.jpg

One throw, dead center lands right under the nose of Ereburist McZilch in such a way that it doesn't bounce off the ground.
YqCOIh.jpg

Which nearly ends us up with our first death, but thankfully America's Eagle of Love and Pleasure in the shape of FLAG saves Ereburist McZilch from a very watery death.
Naturally, we take revenge
vEGLoh.jpg

We could use a shotgun, but that would be too good for the bastard, so we resort to the dynamite for overkill.
eqcKKh.jpg

Urist McJack, unlike the dimwitted Taxi has noticed something is up, soon to be quite literal, and is getting himself ready to watch the firework.
oJKANh.jpg

Just to rub salt in the wound, he lands in the cluster grenade damage from earlier, and half of his taxi is blown up. Peter bravely took 5 damage in order to deal 76(1 from fall damage) to the mortal enemy.
kRp7nh.jpg

HOORAY! ANOTHER PAINFULLY EASY MISSION WON! WE ARE TEH BEST.

Erebus

Arcane
Saved by the american flag ! Here's to hoping your luck stays like that, Ereburist my worm !

Urist McLurker

Learned
VuV2Eh.jpg

A puzzle you say? Something to finally test worm genius to its max.
Okay, so, we're ontop of that weird lamp thing the popup is covering and we can't move.
BUT
Bj030h.jpg

We have a single mine!
Gee whizz guys, what am I to do with that!?
NQSShh.jpg

herp derp away
UXo6th.jpg

NAf67h.jpg

:patriot:It "poots" us into the weird teleport thing and completes the puzzle. Fuck me, I don't think I could handle something so complex again.

I guess maybe in the future as the game leaves American city it might get more complex and have thought required, but shit, my cat could have worked that one out.
1Foqch.jpg

3AOq0h.jpg

At least we don't have such a stupidly clear advantage as before, four against three and they have half our health.
8iTMvh.jpg

Damn right we are. Let's save America from a wormy death.
Clearly there's only one thing we can do.
SHOTGUN dynamite away.
The plan is to pot the worm under us under the traffic lights into the water like a pro, rather than just kill him with a dynamite.
sNw0hh.jpg

Ah, perfect. If we cock it up, I'm sure he'll hit Traffic and knock him around a bit.
tLOS6h.jpg

I love the subtle things the worms do in the face of danger, you can just about see Burger's eyes sort of look behind him in a kind of 'Oh god here we go again' way.
D67CAh.jpg

We manage to poot him into the sink, and it's Traffic's go
H2x5yh.jpg

:x THAT'S MY SHOTGUN
BONGkh.jpg

Failing to get a proper 25 shot on Peter, he knocks McJack from his high horse who lands in the dynamite fallout.
PEutRh.jpg

Alright Peter, time to be a pro, see that worm above us? We're going to throw a grenade on a 1 second charge to blow up right next to his face.
3pp7mh.jpg

Annnnd we miss
tZe7ch.jpg

Yeah fuck you too buddy.
ckXTKh.jpg

Taxi goes towards EstUrist McClane and plants a mine.
If we're lucky, he ought to land ontop of the pipe, or hit the pipe and bounce off.
t3xRCh.jpg

Oh.
:M
Bugger.
7jd0bh.jpg

Onto a jetpack for Ereburist
I'm not much of a fan of the jetpack in this one, it feels far too flimsy to me.
O3Va9h.jpg

We make it across to traffic with 23 fuel left, which is about half a bloody second in the air.
F00CIh.jpg

Okay, now I could use another jetpack, get up there, try and pot Taxi off, but that's too much of a glorious death for the bastard who killed McClane, so I hatch an inane plan to deal with him. Traffic is half hidden in shelter, so I use my first shot to push Taxi back very slightly.
8Gqlfh.jpg

And my second shot to push Traffic further into his hidey hole.
Now, the thing is, you can't switch worms yet, and since the computer is playing as Traffic next turn knowing the AI and its slant for doing stupid things talently, I trap Traffic into the hidey hole..
DcC1Ih.jpg

..with Ereburist's body. You can climb over worms if there's room, jump over them, or under them at certain angles, but as it stands, there's no way for traffic to escape.
38iUeh.jpg

So naturally the AI plants a cluster grenade at point blank range, is which is what I hoped he'd do, because..
BBi3fh.jpg

We jetpack Urist next to Taxi and pull out our fuckin' shotgun.
1rLGgh.jpg

And pot taxi gently into the hole the cluster grenade caused, the fall damage finishing him off.
When a worm dies, if they die on land they detonate themselves into their grave, dealing about 25 damage to any worms near them..
CSsZ5h.jpg

:smug: And as expected taxi blows up, dealing just enough damage to finish Traffic off.
Gl5JOh.jpg
Ereburist survives and it's game won!
61OFdh.jpg

Update is shorter than I'd have liked because I've had massive issues doing this one mission for the AAR with everything going wrong, so eh.
RIP EsqUrist McClane
:salute: Your badass name couldn't save you from a shitty death.
And Aurist McRelian is up next for the bait box.

Urist McLurker

Learned
As always, any complaints/annoyances/rants you fancy bringing up, by all means do so, I ain't gonna learn unless you beat it into me with a stick.

Also any suggestions. Those too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom