Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A very short "Why D:OS is the Best"

Yay or Nay?

• Fuck yeah!

Votes: 89 55.6%
  • Bleargh!

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • Lol, wut?

Votes: 48 30.0%

• Total voters

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
It's the first Divinity to earn the moniker "Divine".
More of a joke in the first one in that there must be a god fucking this world up,
in OS it's a description of that elusive and unquantifiable state known as "fun". The fun is divine, whether i finish it or not it doesnt matter, because im not trying to blow past every encounter to see the next storyturd. it's divine fun whenever i decide to pick it up and give it another go. like goldbox sheit, the fun outways the gilded feces.

Zeronet

Learned
Am i wrong in thinking Divinity: OS was pretty much a complete game, then they want to kickstarter and asked for a bunch of money to make it better?

"Fun" is awfully vague. One could argue that HBS, inXile, and DoubleBear accomplished the same goals.

HBS had to bargain with M$ behind the scenes, Fargo didn't put the existence of the studio at risk and DoubleBear removed all the challenge from the game to make it more appealing for casuals, no risk of infection for example.
PoE is the game Josh always wnated to do, not Obsidian, at least I hope so.

Wrong on both counts.
Amuse me.

They just released a update with a PC Infection Mode. Woooo. (i cant be bothered cleaning up all the irrelevant quotes)

Last edited:

imweasel

PoE is a shit game exactly because it's the opposite of what Brennecke pitched. We knew that Sawyer's "midas touch" would inevitably turn everything into shit and that's it.
IIRC Brennecke was also supposed to be the director of Project Eternity, but then Sawyer took over after the Kickstarter exploded because he has more experience. Such a shame.

BTW, Brennecke is actually a huge fan of the IE games unlike Sawyer.

Well, Larian did invest a major amount of resources into redoing D:OS's graphics close to the game's release to give it more mass appeal, the kind of thing that is usually frowned upon in these parts.
I've been a backer since day one (I'll just pat myself on the back for my uncanny clairvoyance) and I never heard about or noticed any substantial or major graphics overhaul.

:outrage:

Did you play Early Access? The game's appearance changed pretty radically from alpha to beta.
Yep. I didn't notice very much other than fine tuning, UI improvements, rebalanced encounters and such. There never was a graphics overhaul as far as I am concerned, the game has looked pretty much exactly the same since day one.

Aenra

D:OS was not simply a very good game, D:OS was not even the only successful KS out of the three "major" ones. And it was. On both counts. D:OS was also, and it has a special place in my heart due to that reason, what made me reconsider;

Up until recently, could have told you with a straight face that i'm done with RPGs. Period. Was not just the dry spell, let us be honest, exceptions applied even during it. It was mostly the staleness, the stereotypicality, the depthlessness. Either a tutti-frutti half thought out effort, or an emotionless copy-pasting of formats employed better by others. And no, since i said depthlessness yeah? Kid not yourselves and refrain from the sharky "but story" counter-argument. Story at age 30, 40 and onwards, having read, lived and thought, you should not expect to find in pegi 12 GAMEZ. Story you fucking make, when the systems, through the mechanics underlying them, allow you to do so. And that it did.

Now back to point, it is for me the best and by far of recent titles, as on top of the above, it signified (to me) that i can do this now, with my issues and responsibilities and concerns and still find myself not only enjoying the content, but actually being pleasantly surprised. And unless you are a retard or a fanboy (ie a retard), the element of suprise is ..rather.. rare :)
All that from a team without 2,5 decades of experience, millions in its name, professional salesmen capable of pitching ice to the Eskimos, or fans galore at its wake. I dare hope that having reached -some- financial status after D:OS, they can only do better. Hopw :) :)
D:OS showed me there can still be a way. Wasn't the Kickstarter dream. It was its one single result.

Unlike the other two, who showed me that as a team, collectively speaking, they got OLD. In the brain. Many kinds of old.
Rant over, lol

On a down to earth note, my humblest bows to Styg
If only we had more of you. Doing so much with so little, you have brought shame to giants. Including Larian. I wonder if Swen has played your game, i really do. Because it is.. what a fucking RPG should be. You have my respect for that. Took a few decades, but i will soon BE PLAYING FALLOUT 3 !!!!

:bounce:

And also, a big, dry, sans lubricant, fuck you to Duraframe and all the other Duraframes, including former Codex members now elsewhere 'occupied' that come here to pitch their shit, boost their egos, and plead for restraint when the shit innevitably hits the fan. Like Anthony Davis was it the last time? How ..professional.. ethical.. and above all, meritocratic THAT was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinning Reaper

BTW, Brennecke is actually a huge fan of the IE games unlike Sawyer.
Yeah, such a huge fan that he couldn't even figure out how to make a party when he livestreamed his Icewind Dale playing session.:lol:

:roll:

What? But, only Sawyer is evil IE hater... all others are geniuses and lovers of the clear pinnacles of perfection that were the IE games. They fought valiantly to create the PoE that Codexian IE fanboys wanted, but were thwarted by the evil Sawyerbot and his love for balance and social justice. This is known. :D

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
What features?

Take a look at the stretch goals.

Bullshit, it was a very important feature for the backers of Shadowrun, so much that they choose it over more game content.
This alone dismiss your 'argument'.

People care about editors when they're as user friendly as NWN's and Bethesda's. HBS's turned out to be not that.

I remember the developers openly saying that the more support they got the more they could obtain, no, I won't bother with a link, I am not interested in keeping up with your hissy fits.

I'm sure whatever they said has nothing to do with what you think it does. Microsoft didn't dictate anything to them regarding mechanics or plot.

Going all in and making daily updates on Kickstarter for a month.

As they say, talk is cheap.

This is not what we were talking about, besides people hardly progress beyond act 2 in PoE, hohoohohoh.

We're not discussing "PoE versus D:OS: which one is more finished and why?" Even Vincke said he felt post-Cyseal content was unfinished, that's why they're spending all this money up to a year later fixing it.

I have already wrote in the OP that Larian made the game they wanted despite the risks and this deserves recognition, no, it's not mandatory for all doing it all the time.

And as I said, so did HBS and inXile and well most people who self/crowdfund.

Proof of that, I know you will love to incite more drama about Obsidian.

The proof is Pillars of Eternity. No Sensukis contributing design on that team.
Your typical passive-aggressive bullshitting that doesn't address any of the points the interlocutor made, nice grasping at straws, bye bye, felt good triggering you.

You expected to corner him, have him see the folly of his ways and repent?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
D:OS is AWESOME. "Silly fun" beats the shit out of "serious boredom" all day, any day.

I bought 2 copies of D:OS, simply because I wanted to give these guys MOAR MONEY. I also made a thread on their forum for the sole purpose of TELLING them that their game is awesome.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
"Fun" is awfully vague.
Yet the the most consistent excuse you use for justifying Sawyer's fuck ups with all your "My intent was to design a game thats fun for the casual user, and I think we succeeded in it" quotes
PoE is the game Josh always wnated to do, not Obsidian, at least I hope so.
Wrong on both counts.
You're right. Darklands and Wizardry 8 are the games Sawyer always aspired to make but couldn't cuz a scrublord like him could've never worked at Microprose or Sir-tech. Those two games pulled off his ideals about classless systems, no hard counters and all that other faggy shit you love to talk about 2½/1½ decades before him and way better as well. You want to play Sawyer's vision? Go play those games. Oh yeah, I forgot that you don't play that haven't been ported to Xbox so I guess you can put another 400 hours into Oblivion while waiting for Sawyer to finish his next "guys last time I wasnt really trying seriously, this time im 4 realz" project.

Lios

Cipher
I've started D:OS three times and I'm still enjoying it.
Yes it can be a pain in the ass to finish from a point onwards, but the greater picture far overwhelms the shortcomings.
Playing with different builds and slaughtering everything is one of the best experiences I had in a long time because the combat is near perfect.
And the whole game oozes with love, something that I don't get from other major titles such as POE, which is masterfully crafted but reeks of professionalism or better professor's syndrome/smugness too much (I dig it btw).
Now I need to find some free time in the summer (kinda hard) and persuade my "Skyrim is fucking great!" friend to play D:OS online (much harder) and this will most probably be my first serious multiplayer experience of all time (haxball or agar.io doesn't count)- yes D:OS is the best because it made me wanna play multiplayer for the first time which is a feat by itself.

Of course Larian deserves to flourish and deliver a D:OS 2 as long as they hire some stand up comedians to handle the humor because it was painful and fix some stupid shit like the itemization and of course I'm waiting for the patch with the extras so I can start the game for a 4th time.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I feel like D:OS would have been far funnier if all the voiceacting was kept in french and Orcish (german) instead of trying to adapt jokes that either are funny but delivered poorly, or whose humor only makes sense in the context of the original language/culture.
I adore playing stalker and metro in russky, which gives them a levity i never noticed playing them in english.
or im just a potatoist

Atchodas

Augur
D:OS is good i never thought about how good it was until i play some PoSawyerity , pillards made me come back and finish D:OS(started it not that long ago) and to start it again , LOL D:OS COMBAT IS AMAZING JEESUS after pillards it was something refreshing . Like Having my Battlemage with LightingRod talent standing in 4 Storm Clouds i create with my archer just by using different arrows ( make fog out of water+fire and electrify it ) the level of tactics you cant find in whole pillards game , also ability to play either party of 4 weak chars or two LoneWolfs is amazing , i did the run with companions it was fun now Lonewolf is gona be amazing !

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because they did the game they wanted to make even if that meant to take a huge financial risk, and managed to make it fun too.
As for now they are the only Kickstarter that did that, for this alone they deserve a special recognition.

If true, that'd be a good reason for why Larian as a company is the best. Not really intrinsic feature of the game itself.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The game was like buying a tabloid newspaper and expecting hooters but inside finding quite a 20 page essay on things like the elasticity of Aeschynite in relation to tensile strength in wheelbarrows. Plus hooters.

Deceptively complex. I sort of underestimated it. Cartoony graphics does not equal Diablo clone. Towards the end I was hanging on there, almost running out of stamina.

I love it.

It's innovative. Not a traditional RPG like Pillars or Wasteland 2.

Took me hours and hours to figure out how to get INTO the final temple. For a while my brain just would not engage. Part of the reason for that was simply the separating your party members and using the teleport pyramids is a NEW DYNAMIC. It brings an element of Legend of Grimrock puzzle solving into this type of RPG, whatever this type is. I can't think of another game like it.

I loved the humour. The levelling. For once it seems there really was a lot of choice in how to build your characters and how to solve quests.

Took the fused witches into the final battle thinking about the obvious advantage it would give me than started cursing when the bitch turned against me.

I loved betraying the cat Arhu and then burning the witch's bones (Cassandra) and then killing her. Getting into the Temple of the Dead was amazing, I did not figure it out myself. Kill one of my own characters and then teleport to them? Who thinks of this stuff - diabolical.

In the end my party had 100% fire resistance and immunity to burning - Mwahahaha.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Getting into the Temple of the Dead was amazing, I did not figure it out myself. Kill one of my own characters and then teleport to them? Who thinks of this stuff - diabolical.

Did nobody else think of sticking one of the pyramids in the cow corpse that was there? Everybody I know committed suicide to get past that part.

Severian Silk

The combat in this game was okay, but the aesthetics were awful. :(

So I voted "No". I'm not really looking forward to the upcoming sequel.

Grimnir

Novice
It's been a long time since I played a game with as much depth as D:OS. Despite its flaws it's easily one of my favorite games in recent years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom