Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A Plea for Help

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm playing Medieval Total War on an old XP laptop. I've played 2 or 3 full games without problems but now that I've started a game where I am patiently taking screenshots throughout the game it's decided to bug me out. I have managed to solve all the issues up to now but this latest one is proving sticky, it is the bug where it crashes to desktop on the transition to the High Period 1204/1205:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=medieval+total+war+1204+1205+bug

So I click end-turn at 1204 and after it's completed the interturn actions it crashes to desktop.

Because I'm creating screenies, starting a new game would render all the screenies incongruous to any new game I started and I'm even going so far as to considering buying a new (old) XP laptop just to try and get the game to flick over to 1205 by importing my save. It's not a corrupted save file as I have 4 turns of savefiles and they all do it once I get to 1204/5. Sothe next logical step is to see if the problem occurs on a different computer.

In order to save me £50, I was hoping a fellow codexer might be able to try out my save file on their computer just to try and get the game to go to 1205 and then send me the save file back. Your total involvement just being to watch the interturn and make a save at the beginning of 1205.

Medieval Total War will not run smoothly on any other system than XP, and single core XP at that, unless you've managed to perform some kind of genius miracle or been very lucky. I say this because it would probably only be solvable by someone who already knows their system runs the game well; just being someone of a helpful mindset but unaware of how persnickety this game is will result in too much delay as they try and figure out how to make the game run.

So... is there anyone out there who has the game installed who can help with this rather annoying situation?

Many thanks, you're

:australia:

Edit: ak, I've just been called out, I'll be back in a few hours, I'll add a new post when I'm back.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't help you, but due to time zones, availability, etc. you might be better off just uploading the save somewhere and post the link so that someone can do it and send you the result back?
Less hassle than doing it all via PM.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I don't mind waiting. I guess I worded it badly, I meant I didn't want to have to get into the whole email process only to have to exchange loads of pointless emails while someone explains their issues with getting the game running.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Maybe I can help get help by providing some mouthwatering screenies to try and get someone more in the mood?

MTW116Asardiniabuild_zpsszztmi7m.png

MTW117Bprincesses_zpsfngy24uc.png

MTW118Bmarriageaccepted_zpsh9efpyv1.png

More free screenies if help is attained!

Raapys

Arcane
I'm running it on win7 with the VI expansion on top, but I can give it a try if you upload the save somewhere.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Hmm, afraid your game may be lost. No go here either, memory access violation soon as AI finishes his move.

Ok, not to worry, thanks for the help anyway, you've still proven it's nothing in the computer related to a dodgy install or whatever.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Here's some more free screenies as promised:

MTW86Ainquisitoring_zpshypw0tz4.png

MTW87Bgothim_zpsceo5wzjj.png

MTW87Dinquisitorvalour_zpsezxwrgbo.png

MTW88Bgovenortraits_zpsi3ygoohy.png

Out of curiosity, how did you get it to work on Windows 7? I have both a Windows 7 laptop and desktop and no luck on either, but they are both duel core, is your Windows 7 booted on a single core system?

Raapys

Arcane
My win7 system is a quad core. The only changes I've had to make is running the executable with XP compatibility mode, installing Sepheus_ddraw_fix to avoid the 'video card has 0 memory available' bug which locks you to low resolutions, and MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix which fixes some corrupt graphics files which will otherwise cause crashes when entering a certain menu.

Oh, and you should give XL3 a try. Best mod for the game.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I just burned through to 1205 without a glitch in a brand new game starting from scratch. I followed my moves 100% to the letter of the 1st game but buy about 30 turns in the game was already looking radically different so that by 1205 I'm now having to continue my screenies with this map :D

MTW119Anewgame_zpsqdypqe03.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom