Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A New Beginning

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Just finished this one. It's a pretty cool point&click adventure game, alternating between two characters and various settings. It also happens to be the hippiest hippie game ever, and I'm surprised it wasn't funded by Greenpeace or something.

Basically, the year is 2500. ITZ happened and the remnants of humanity are hiding in Cleve's bunker. But then, a wild solar flare appears that threatens to completely wipe them all out. So they send time travellers 500 years back to warn the gubmints about global warming and set up a new future for mankind.

As I said, the game is p. cool. It doesn't have too much retarded adventure game logic (TM) and the puzzles are mostly ok (and if you are stuck too long at retarded ones, you can just skip them). Plot is interesting, has a few twists and turns, and manages to avoid most pitfalls of plots involving time travel (mainly because there's almost none of it, but eh :M ), although there's one point at the end that got me completely confused because I either missed something, or it's a gigantic plot hole.

It does go a bit overboard in some places, though. There are two characters you control: Bent Svensson, a hobo scientist on retirement who has given his whole life to the research of SUPAH ALGAE that could be a source of ALTERNATE ENERGY!!! and Radiooperator Fay, who is a hippie gal FROM THE FUTURE! She is also very butthurt about ecology. There's one pretty absurd scene at the start, where Svensson is trying to fix a fogger. He does, and it spews out a nasty black puff of smoke that kills a nearby bird. Fay notices that and bursts into tears, calls the hobo scientist a dumbfuck, takes the bird and digs it a grave... :thumbsup:

But still, I liked it. And despite being so very :greenpeace: it has a high bodycount, too.

Also, the soundtrack is p. cool. Neat graphics, too, especially in future post-apo areas. It is also fairly long for an adventure game of his day and age - it's divided into 8 chapters and it took me a week or so to finish it.

Recommended. Anyone else played it?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I did. Found it extremely boring, but did manage to make it to the end somehow. Must've been a really slow day or something.

(Then again, I also think Gray Matter is a horrible piece of boring emo shit, but many here seem to have enjoyed it. *shrug*)

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Crooked Bee said:
(Then again, I also think Gray Matter is a horrible piece of boring emo shit, but many here seem to have enjoyed it. *shrug*)
but of course it is. and despite that I found it a pretty nice game overall.

I'll take a look at the new beginning too. thanks, towarzyszu Roksorowski :salute:

Kawaii Theurgist

Liturgist
I did enjoy it. The visuals are beautiful, the plot didn't really bother me, the characters are likeable, and the little twists are interesting and pretty imaginative, doing the story within a story and unreliable narrator thingies better than DA2 by a quite long margin.

I did like the extremist guy, too. He was the only one from the group taking the mission seriously.

And yes, the bodycount is pretty awesome for a game so green. The sheer amount of sabotage and illegal stuffies is also high even for an adventure game, so I guess the message is let's save little furry creatures no matter how many capitalist jerks we have to kill, how many capitalist shit we have to sabotage, and how many petty crimes we have to commit!

Given little furry creatures are awesome,

:thumbsup:

MapMan

Arcane
I enjoyed the game and it was pretty neat but I got bored somewhere near the end.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Just started this one, and I have a few impressions of the first few levels.

First of all, maximum facepalm for the bird-killing aneurysm scene. Holy shit, just wow. It doesn't make for a good first impression of Fay at all.

SECOND OF ALL (trololollo), the voice-acting is incredibly wooden, which is a shame cause the voices themselves show a lot of potential. Bent almost sounds like one of those comedic mobsters, kinda like the doorman from here.

Third, there's a freaky bug where if you try to use the dust pan on the floating globe as a paddle, Fay answers in German voiceover. :M

Other than that, it's great.
:thumbsup:

Duraframe300

Arcane
:necro:

Finally played through it and yeah, that was sure a twist at the end.

And it does make for a better (if cliched) message, but.... Yeah, A new Beginning probably wouldn't make for the best game to play twice.

Otherwise decent game all around.

Venser

Erudite
I've noticed this game is on the sale all the time. Even right now it's €0.99 on Steam and $1.99 on GOG so it can't hurt to try.

Barbarian

Arcane
The lack of decent P&C adventures to try sure makes it all tempting, but the problem is that I can't stand global warming preachers and gaia worshipping hippies. I will pass.

Name

Cipher
It's been a long time but wasn't the time traveling green peace responsible for triggering
apocalyptic global warming?

Boleskine

Arcane
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/new-beginning-a/

New Beginning, A
Posted by Jonathan Kaharl on April 20, 2018

105000_20180131150147_1.png

While Daedalic’s work in comedy games like Edna & Harvey and the Deponia series are their studio defining signature, they have tried many more serious minded games to different levels of success. One of their earliest attempts, A New Beginning, doesn’t really fit in the “better” part of the chart, but it’s daring in a lot of unexpected ways. While Deponia‘s themes of environmentalism and anti-capitalist economics were mostly background dressing, A New Beginning makes these the main themes and plot motivation, though dressing it all in pulp sci-fi style. It mostly succeeds at delivering its message, but the impact is lessened by art and technical issues.

In the far off distant future of the 26th century, a solar flare is about to finish off all life on Earth, as the complete destruction of the planet’s atmosphere as left the planet completely defenseless. In a last ditch effort, the remaining humans band together to create the Phoenix Project, an attempt to travel back in time and change history to avert their annihilation. Fay, a radio operator, goes to 1982 to find the Finnish eco scientist Bent Svensson and use his algae-based alternative energy discoveries to create a new interest in alternative energy, planning to present it at an international summit. However, a corrupt energy mogul and a time traveler gone rogue may prove wrenches in Fay’s plans.

105000_20180117074410_1-480x352.png

A New Beginning ends with a side character making a supposedly fictional novel based on the events of the game, and has an interview about how they’re trying to change minds with a sci-fi pulp novel, so it’s safe to say this is definitely a game aware of what it’s doing. A New Beginning has some of Daedalic’s sense of humor in there, like with an obnoxious and buggy Microsoft Helper style AI and the Rufus-ish Oggy, but most of the broad strokes are dramatic and very obvious. This works overall, making it clear why you should care about climate change and why you shouldn’t just ignore or deny the problem, both with positive and negative examples. The spotty science in a few parts even ends up being clever subversion for a huge late-game twist that’s well set-up and executed. The story moves briskly, only slowing to give us time with Bent and Fay so we better connect with them. It has a strong sense of character and purpose, but it’s pulpy sensibilities tend to undercut it a tad, even if a major point of all that pulp is subverting it.

The game’s big twist does make good use of toying with audience expectations, even with how it tells its story, but it doesn’t validate every silly moment. Seeing protesters commonly referred to as eco-terrorists by even the most minor of characters never feels quite right, partly due to the acting. The English version has a truly poor dub with wooden acting all over the place, and not enough ham to sell the sillier lines. Bent and antagonistic time traveler Salvador fare best, though even their delivery feels off at times. On the other hand, the obviously corrupt corporate executives and bought off scientists are perfectly ridiculous, especially when compared to the modern lunacy of climate change deniers. The idea seemed to be highlighting the stupidity and absurdity of denying a serious issue affecting our world, but the game has a strange problem of both going too far and not far enough in equal measure.

105000_20180131164516_1-480x352.png

The puzzles range from simple to inventive, matching well alongside the puzzles in the later Deponia series. Logic will often give the answer, though you do also need to pay close attention to the screen to see easily missed important details. The English version is a bit confusing, though, as several items aren’t translated properly, and in a few odd spots, actions are written out in Russian. The point and click controls are also a little odd here, where you have to hold down after a click and use a wheel to select an option, like using, taking, looking, and other such options. It’s an interesting solution for fitting in multiple options when interacting with objects, but it’s jarring at first and no substitute for later simplified point and click control schemes.

The biggest issues come from the art direction and technical foundation. The comic style of the game is novel, and at its best, a clever way of portraying complex scenes that would otherwise be too costly to show. The paneled cutscenes are striking and entertaining, but the impact is lessened by the fugly character art. Everyone looks fine enough in the game proper, but the cutscene designs have odd shading issues, discoloring (especially with beards) and just bizarre expressions that never look quite right or fit the mood. It’s all the more noticeable thanks to these moments contrasting with the constantly lovely setting illustrations, like these characters don’t quite match the world they exist in. On top of this, if you’re running the game on newer PCs, even with compatibility mode, there’s a chance the game will crash after some cutscenes (particularly the one where Fay jumps to Bent’s time), with the only solution being a press of the skip button right before the scene finishes. If that wasn’t enough, if you have text on, it will sometimes be cut off if the character is near the top of the screen, so it’s best to keep voice acting on.

105000_20180206082110_1-480x352.png

A New Beginning lacks a lot of polish, but all that tarnish doesn’t completely diminish what the game has to say and how it gets there. It’s very exaggerated and silly at many a point, but its few moments of narrative cleverness make up for it, as does its ultimate message. We have to start acting now, in whatever way we can, to save our planet, because this problem isn’t going away. The worst villains here all fail to act because they simply ignore the problem or refuse to believe it exists, and the unnerving thing is how close these cartoonish villains are to the actual villains in the world right now – including the ones running governments. They’re ridiculous, but the fact that fighting climate change is considered a two sided debate in the first place is equally idiotic. A New Beginning nails that grim absurdity, and challenges it with a message of hope, ending the uneven work on just the right note. It’s significantly flawed, but it can’t be faulted for its ambition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom