Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A cyberpunk tactical RPG - Zion

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Is it still alive? It looks very promising.

bloodychill

Novice
entertainer said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Is it still alive?

Being made by Australians so not likely.

I am not Australian, and the project is still alive. Working on it slowly inbetween the other work I have going on. I will see it finished.

Severian Silk

Don't like the anime sprites either. If it ever gets finished you'll get more cred here though since most stuff the Codex likes never gets finished (unless you count fan patches), so you'll at least have that.

denizsi

Arcane
I'm glad this is still alive. I share some of the other's dislike for the character sprites but otherwise, it looks (and sounds) stunning to me.

bloodychill

Novice
By anime sprites, do you mean the ones we were going to go with at first or the ones we eventually decided to go with? I don't think the ones we're using look very anime.

For reference, this is the style we're using now:

Victor Pflug said:
Ok, so I went back to the drawing board and tried a more realistic character sprite.

Better than before?

realtest1.jpg

bloodychill

Novice
I'm finally kind of satisfied with this simple demo/test of the engine that I feel comfortable showing it off.

http://www.moesaverage.com/zion/demo.rar

To install the demo, just stick ZionFolder directly into your C:/ and then run ZionTest.exe. ZionFolder has to sit in C: because I've been lazy about install paths. You'll get a console window that spits out a ton of gibberish, don't worry about it.

All the commands for the demo character (a robot) are on the right side bar. Those three boxes with the green dots in them are your grenades.

This demo/test represents a tiny amount of the work done on the game (AI is fully implemented, a lot of story is done, a ton of weapons have been coded, etc etc) but this is just a basic test to let people who have been following the project get a taste of it.

jazzotron

Liturgist
bloodychill said:
I'm finally kind of satisfied with this simple demo/test of the engine that I feel comfortable showing it off.

http://www.moesaverage.com/zion/demo.rar

To install the demo, just stick ZionFolder directly into your C:/ and then run ZionTest.exe. ZionFolder has to sit in C: because I've been lazy about install paths. You'll get a console window that spits out a ton of gibberish, don't worry about it.

All the commands for the demo character (a robot) are on the right side bar. Those three boxes with the green dots in them are your grenades.

This demo/test represents a tiny amount of the work done on the game (AI is fully implemented, a lot of story is done, a ton of weapons have been coded, etc etc) but this is just a basic test to let people who have been following the project get a taste of it.

That's a bloody tease, it is!

Looking forward to the end result.

yaster

Liturgist
Nothing to be sad about. There was very, very little content in it... more like early version of interface showcase

jazzotron

Liturgist
Website's gone and this thread is the first relevant hit in google.

Another promising project fallen by the wayside...

zeitgeist

Magister
Well that's disappointing.

I hate discovering promising projects that turn out to be dead. I mean you stumble upon some obscure site on the internet that has, I don't know, a fully fleshed out tactical RPG in the Syndicate world with party-based online multiplayer and randomized map/quest generation or something, and it has concept art better than the original, and awesome screenshots and a complete design doc and tech demos, and then it turns out the last site update was in 2004.

I guess it's marginally better than having stumbled upon the same thing in 2000 and then following the updates for 4 years only to see them dry up and stop, but still.

bloodychill

Novice
Haha RPG Maker. Thing was built from the ground up using SFML. Reason we haven't gotten much done it is because asset production. Sprites take a long, long, long time to do and I literally have one guy on it and he gets burnt out easy. Right now, we're looking for other sprite animators who want to get their feet wet (ie work for nothing/whatever we make selling this on net distributers).

It's tough. Site's down cuz my buddy moved hosts and I was too lazy to move the assets over. Should be fixed shortly.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Wouldn't it be wisest to make your game first, and then replace shitty sprites with your own as they are ready?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
find several chinese art students and lock them in your cellar. cheap and effective.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom