Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A conversation with a gaming journalist

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Vault Dweller, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Vault Dweller Ubersturmfuhrer

Vault Dweller
    Click here and disable ads!
    In case you missed it, it's a conclusion of a long story that started here:
    http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19423

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

Reply:

^ Top  
  2. OccupatedVoid Arbiter

OccupatedVoid
    Pure Comedy Gold.
    ^ Top  
  3. Fallout_Fan_VII Novice

Fallout_Fan_VII
    I honestly don't know if I should laugh or cry. It's not like I had any respect for GameSpy to begin with, but this guy just validates everything I thought of the place.
    ^ Top  
  4. Futile Rhetoric Cipher

Futile Rhetoric
    I actually laughed out loud. It doesn't happen often, not at all. Thank you.

You're a first-rate clown, Patrick. I liked it especially when you name-dropped the academic community and the financial industry, seeing how I'm quite well acquainted with them, and don't believe them to take kindly to clowns, either.

It's sad, and funny. A tragicomedy for the ages.
    ^ Top  
  5. Claw Erudite

Claw
    Project: Eternity
    VD, you bloody amateur! :D

You know nothing about professional comedy!
    ^ Top  
  6. callehe Liturgist

callehe
    VD: 5+6=11 AND 4+7=11
    Weasel: OMGWTFBBQ, how can this be?? you fucking liar VD!!!1

Aw man, this is too funny. And sad at the same time. With "journalists" like these, there's no wonder the gamers are getting more and more stupid for every new console generation.
    ^ Top  
  7. Tinkies Novice

Tinkies
    Damn, he loves saying how VD is "unprofessional". OMG, deadaires is Mr. Pink!
    ^ Top  
  8. MF Augur

MF
    Didn't he get bitter after you told him about your day job? I think he was under the assumption that he was dealing with an unemployed guy slaving away on a game and an RPG site in his mother's basement, basking in his own relative glory just when you showed him just how relative that glory was by inadvertently juxtaposing your success in life with his half-ass job.

Personally, I think this whole journalism argument is retarded. If you want to discuss the semantics of journalism, look here. Patrick takes it to a whole new level by arguing about professional ethics and meta-morality without addressing any of your comments.
    ^ Top  
  9. Punck_D Novice

Punck_D
    The VD=liar thing was hilarious and how Patrick tried to stick to it, just to have a point saying "I am teh winn!!1", just like that misquoting affair. Poor desperate guy, stupid always loses.
    ^ Top  
  10. Amasius Scholar

Amasius
    Heh, I even agree that publishing PMs is unprofessional, but VD never claimed to be professional and since most professional gaming "journalists" have abandoned candid coverage I stick to the unprofessional und rude, but honest Codex.

Its telling that not even some of our resident dumbfucks jumped in to defend the weasel just to stir some trouble up.
    ^ Top  
  11. galsiah Arbiter

galsiah
    Your unprofessionalism is showing VD.
    Don't you realise that there are people out there who will pay for your services? Yet there you are giving it up for free. I call that immoral. Where's your accountability? Where's the fat guy to abuse you and withhold payment if you're doing it wrong? Where's the sense of self-worth you get when throwing in your own unique tricks for a little something extra?

Also, please don't show such unrespect, criticalment and diskindness to someone with such disunprofessionalismship.
    He's a writer you know. [your jest a lyre]
    ^ Top  
  12. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Though gamespy is shit, just like 90% of all game sites.

Well, if a guy has been doing his best trying to debate a full forum of bored guys picking apart his every sentence, it's not that wierd that he gets pissed off eventually. I'm amazed that he stayed civil for that long.

This thread is a bit childish VD, just as the entire thread that you took quotes from was rather embaressing after awhile. It's like a crowd beating someone to a pulp and then kicking him when he's down.
    ^ Top  
  13. Calis RPG Codex Staff Patron

Calis
    Look, with threads like this, the "unprofessional" part gains a bit of credibility. I do agree with a weasel thing though and VD/DU were firmly in the right in the entire preview discussion, but these kinds of threads continue to show how Codex is at the best on the fringe of journalism, even though in a number of areas (guts and analytical depth) the people who write here are well above the vast majority of gaming publication out there. Not that I'm saying the Codex should be anything other than it is, mind you. In other words, what Amasius said. :)
    ^ Top  
  14. Calis RPG Codex Staff Patron

Calis
    Calling Gamespy the evil empire is so 1998. I would also like to go on record saying that at least two Gamespy writers are stand-up guys (Magedragon and Kyote). Gamespy is no worse than any (well, most) of the other commercial gaming press, online or offline.
    ^ Top  
  15. galsiah Arbiter

galsiah
    Re: Though gamespy is shit, just like 90% of all game sites.

Perhaps it is. However, deadairis wrote the first PM in this chain knowing that VD had publicly posted his previous one. If he didn't consider these might go public, there's something wrong with him.

Maybe so - yet there were two professional journalists involved in that thread from very early on. One managed to maintain respect, dignity and a fair amount of reason; one didn't.

Also, any professional journalist should expect to piss people off and to get flack for it. It comes with the territory. Even good journalists will take fire from some quarters. A little sense isn't really too much to expect: either enough sense to make a reasonable - if arguable - case, or enough sense to leave. Do neither for over 10 pages and you've no-one but yourself to blame.
    ^ Top  
  16. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Damn, the guy was an idiot for staying that long and taking that stance. Absolutely no argument about that. Just saying that it's a bit weak to gloat.
    ^ Top  
  17. mouflon Novice

mouflon
    In a dark, dark town, on a dark, dark street, with
    yeesh. It's people like this that make me want to get a tub of chloroform and an inking needle and grow a secret identity sneaking about and tattooing 'Grow the fuck up' on the inside of people's eyelids.

Comments like:
    to me, pretty much sum up everything that's wrong with the world, not just the gaming industry. The idea that honesty and professionalism are mutually exclusive, that everyone has to tailor everything they say to suit the most incapable minds it may eventually reach, because when some idiot pops a bollock over some trivial shite the laws of 'professionalism' dictate that nobody else is allowed to call a spade a spade, or an infantile fuckwit an infantile fuckwit.

I think if all developers took VDs route of being brutally honest and expecting brutal honesty in return, we'd be much better off - but that's assuming 'better' refers to integrity, rather than profit margins. It's what makes the codex what it is in the first place - threads aren't locked, nothing you can say is beyond the pale. Because we're all big boys (or girls) now, and if someone prefaces a valid point by saying 'listen, cunts' it remains a valid point. Which is why you'll get more valuable discussion in one decent codex thread where every third post is a threat of physical violence than you'll get in the entirety of all 'professional' gaming forums combined.

And besides, didn't this whole epic start off with the premise that what gaming journalism calls 'professionalism', the rest of us call rapant stupidity?

~M

I feel better now.
    ^ Top  
  18. merry andrew Erudite

merry andrew
    If I cough after I laugh do you think they won't notice?
    ^ Top  
  19. Kingston Liturgist

Kingston
    I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
    I know the journalism industry rather well. I have got to say this guy is one of the most unprofessional journalist I have ever seen. He can't seem to comprehend any of the points VD makes, he starts twisting words and he is generally all over the place. VD catches him on a vast volume of subjects and when he thinks he has caught VD on something he is jumping around proclaiming it off hilltops.

And truly, very arrogant most of the time.

I guess that's why he is in the gaming front.
    ^ Top  
  20. Tinkies Novice

Tinkies
    I agree with you there; I myself like to have a bit of privacy, and all these threads about this are a tad annoying. I was just kind of wondering why he couldn't seem to expand his vocabulary a little bit. Mr. Pink is just what sort of came to mind. "I'm the only one acting like a fucking professional" and so on. Also, his tantrum struck me as equally unprofessional, if not more so, then VD's airing out their private moments together.
    ^ Top  
  21. callehe Liturgist

callehe
    talking about misquoting; he's the guy that said that fallout fans claimed the war never happened on the east coast (in the fallout universe). double standards seems to be this guys forte. I'm glad that he managed to gut himself so humorously in the end.
    ^ Top  
  22. Bladderfish Educated

Bladderfish
    Oh look! Another example of an utterly futile internet debate!

In real life, this sort of crap would have either ended in a fight where someone wins, or, if one of the parties has a set of balls, in the unrighteous man backing down and admitting he was wrong.

In cyber-limbo, its just a waste of fucking time and energy to read and write. I wonder why we bother. I guess this age of decadence gives us ample time to waste!

Although ... it is interesting to see how corrupt and small-minded some of the mainstream gaming journalists are. I salute you for that, if nothing else.
    ^ Top  
  23. sah Scholar

sah
    I wish there was a conclusion to all this.
    ^ Top  
  24. AnalogKid Scholar

AnalogKid
    See, the thing about the original thread that makes it unique is that it wasn't just another no-one-wins debate. I've hardly ever seen such an obvious and factually provable loser anywhere on teh intarnats. The fact that part of his provably wrong BS was his high-horse stance about how detailed and professional he is, well that's just a layer of delicious irony topping.

What I'm most sad about is that because lots of the posts grew so huge, no one is going to read all 15 pages after the fact, so the truth will have to be carried on in our hearts and minds...

About the gloating: that's why we let trolls be trolls here. There's a great .sig about feeding them for our amusement (think it was a Saint original quote). They try to have their fun being stupid, and we have our fun watching them flounder and twist and, really, kick themselves while they're down. Based on the PM's I no longer think he was really trolling, I just think he's a useless, useless human being. Still, freakshows can be as entertaining as intentional comedians.

Nothing to say about this, just wanted to repeat it. :P
    ^ Top  
  25. MF Augur

MF
    There is :

Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)