Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Let's Play Might and Magic 1 with a Codexian Party

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Might and Magic Book One: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum was created and programmed singlehandedly by one Jon Van Caneghem in 1986. The first game in the awesome series of blobbers, it came out 10 years before I was born. You may ask yourself, "what the fuck is an 18 year old doing playing 80s PC RPGs?". I've already played and finished MM3-8 and 10, and since Might and Magic IX doesn't exist, the only games I have yet to play are I and II. While MM1 seems pretty dated to someone of my generation, it's actually fairly intuitive and I only had to consult the manual for a handful of things. It goes without saying that MM1 doesn't have an automap function, so you either have to make your own maps or look 'em up on the Internet for this one. I would normally do the former, but making a quality LP takes time and dedication, so I opted to use maps already made and annotated for me. Not having to make maps for myself certainly doesn't make the game easier, though; in MM1, you can only save in inns and random encounters that could devastate your party can appear from out of nowhere, so it's a slow and difficult process, at least so far.

For this LP, RPG Codex users IDtenT, Irenaeus, sea, Bradylama, Scrooge and RK47 are venturing into the land of VARN, having been transported from the shoutbox to another dimension. Onward ho! And sorry for the crappy/variable image quality in this first update, I used IrfanView to resize them and I'm still getting the hang of it.

coeCOSl.png

Enznbaf.png

For this LP, we've taken the default MM1 party and changed the names of the characters. In the early MM games, making your own characters meant you were gimped in the beginning of the game because you lost out on the equipment and gold given to you at the start. Besides, according to experts like Sceptic this default party should be good enough to take us through the whole game.

SxSxCv2.png

..And so it begins.

6332.jpg
What the hell?
13456.jpg
How did we end up here, exactly?
15975.jpg
My avatar looks like it belongs in this game.
11748.jpg
Hey Ire, sea, IDtenT, Brady, RK.
15975.jpg
Who?
5185.jpg
Irenaeus is here? Can't see u lah. Must be the ignore button. :kfc:
14602.jpg
I'm stuck here with you faggots and not Hoaxmetal. :cry: Wait, it looks like I've got equipment.

mD4iuoT.png

14602.jpg
A knight? Must be all that sword fighting I do. :smug:
6332.jpg
This inn is a shithole. Can't even compare to what we got in Oklahoma. Let's get better equipment, we can't kill shit with clubs.
15975.jpg
I will need a sword to spill the blood of leftists.
11748.jpg
:roll:

pxJBIvD.png

We go to the blacksmith to buy some gear. We get a crossbow for sea, short swords for IDtenT and Ire, daggers for Brady and Scrooge and a staff for RK47. We equip them and sell our shitty clubs... for 0 jewgold. Whatever. Turns out Scrooge can't use the dagger FFS, so we sell it. After that, we have 70 gold remaining on IDtenT, so we buy 6 padded armors, 3 torches, and rope + hooks. No jewgold left now.

7qs9292.png

Lbm4Cyx.png

xjNno2v.png

E6qmHhC.png

hMBwbxh.png

do2mO9C.png

13456.jpg
Why am I the evil one? Fuck the DM.
5185.jpg
We're all 18. So youthful.
6332.jpg
Let's go exploring.

33ljely.png

15975.jpg
Kill them. Deus Vult!

LpuXFSu.png

5185.jpg
Fire Arrow! I choose you!

Xiv3ffP.png

5185.jpg
sochi-bear-crying.gif

Now we put them to sleep lah.

oOhJsir.png

13456.jpg
Thanks.

After they're asleep these kobolds are easy pickings. I didn't screencap it, but we got 41 EXP each. Back to the inn to rest and save.

2XNjYK3.png

YgEo7wB.png

14602.jpg
Some interesting writing on this wall.
15975.jpg
It's supposed to be a statue. Use your imagination, faggot.

We continue to explore the town, leaving the corridor at which this statue was located. On the way out, we stumble upon... yet another random encounter. Whatever, we need to be grindin' them XPs.

aAhskYm.png

11748.jpg
That one looks like Danny.
bat.jpg
CanI milk your pussy Scrooge?
11748.jpg
:what:
6332.jpg
:lol:

9xbV0ys.png

VYzUtr9.png

13456.jpg
RK is really making this too easy for us.
15975.jpg
Why are our enemies spontaneously falling asleep?
14602.jpg
Stop with the ignore jokes FFS.

UvGe8u6.png

6332.jpg
That was over fast.
5185.jpg
DM forgot to screencap the combat log.

We each received 91 EXP this time around. Unfortunately, despite setting the combat log speed to the lowest possible setting in-game I still missed it most of the time. I'll have to adjust the cycle speeds in DOSBox next time.

ZRsUm62.png

14602.jpg
Training time already? I need to put some points into my docking skill.
13456.jpg
This game doesn't have any skills.
14602.jpg
No sense of humor.

Our party is weak from the last encounter, so we head back to the inn to rest. Fortunately, the amount of food you start out with in your pack is very generous, so we won't have to buy more for a while. We still have zero gold though, so we better hope we find some treasure soon. On our way back, we're accosted by snakes.

vOU6UKq.png

post-56-010094000%201280224425_thumb.gif

UijwBBC.png

5ubvCkt.png

15975.jpg
Give that man some healing, Scrooge.
6332.jpg
Sexual healing?
11748.jpg
I'm just going to pretend I didn't hear that. Here sea, have some First Aid.
13456.jpg
Thank you m'lady. *tips fedora*

QSeMfLc.png

2HLN3tN.png

Moving forward, we come across the entrances to the Sorpigal dungeon and the outside world. We opt to ignore them for now, as it's probably best that we finish exploring the town, grind some levels and get better equipment if we don't want to facerolled.

SJWlCTQ.png

14602.jpg
Talking walls abound.

dz9bk9n.png

14602.jpg
And yet another wall claiming to be a statue.
5185.jpg
U gonna shut up or not?

XVaJQT7.png

15975.jpg
Finally, a place to worship.
6332.jpg
I don't think they're Catholics. Fortunately.

Wyqn0i5.png

13456.jpg
No thank you, we just finished resting at the inn.

All is not as it seems at Temple Moonshadow, however. Behind a secret wall we find the long-awaited enemy that confirms Might and Magic I is indeed a true role-playing game.

k72ffHn.png

1219081.jpg
Might and Magic is a truly great series of computer role-playing games.

This square is a no-magic zone, so we can't cast any spells at all. Scrooge and RK47 were sitting there doing nothing for the entire battle, as your casters generally only get to attack with melee weapons if enemies infiltrate your ranks. As usual, the combat log was too fast, so most of the screens I captured were uninformative.

ZgmXb1p.png

jyYoAeJ.png

Irenaeus took quite the beating in this battle. We heal up before continuing down the hall. We come across a locked door, our first yet.

d2sOKeT.png

15975.jpg
I'll break the door down. There may be leftists inside.

Gecmka4.png

fIqFBVZ.png

uq3yRMy.png

u2fDvY5.png

I have a feeling we'll be seeing this screen a lot in the future.

End of Part 1.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Total party kill in the first update. This LP looks very promising.

15975.jpg
Finally, a place to worship.
6332.jpg
I don't think they're Catholics. Fortunately.
Well, it is shaped like a Greek cross. Must be Orthodox.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
My blessings are with you. Hint: locate Merchant's Pass and travel to the castles ASAP. Otherwise you will be grinding like mad.
Also be very careful when you reach 64k of EXP. There is a nasty bug, gain EXP through combar until you reach > 65535. If you get EXP through quests - it will be overflown and reduced to 0.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I've got an idea: how about playing ironman with a Codex crew? When somebody dies, remove them and add a new member to the party. On a TPK, there would be a regular reload.

Last edited:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
My blessings are with you. Hint: locate Merchant's Pass and travel to the castles ASAP. Otherwise you will be grinding like mad.
Also be very careful when you reach 64k of EXP. There is a nasty bug, gain EXP through combar until you reach > 65535. If you get EXP through quests - it will be overflown and reduced to 0.

There might be a bug with the fountains. Something didn't go right for me anyway. Grinding to lvl 5 is relatively quick in Sorpigal thoughl. Then there's a grinding spot nearby that can quickly get you to lvl 10.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I've got an idea: how about playing ironman with a Codex crew? When somebody dies, remove them and add a new member to the party. On a TPK, there would be a regular reload.
Well, that should keep the banter from getting stale at least. I'll consider it.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Damn. How you get so big levels in the M&M1? I grinded like mad on Caryatids and, later, wyverns, and still finished with 15 lvl party.

Broseph
Remember useful keys Ctrl-A for quick resolution of the trash encounters.

Well, that should keep the banter from getting stale at least. I'll consider it.
Don't. You shall never leave area around Sorpigal this way. Some encounters could obliterate your party in two rounds, I don't even talk about basilisks (or were they cockatrices?) or dragons.

Last edited:

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Cockatrices are pretty weak so probably basilisks. Wretched things AOE turning you to stone.

Edit:

Damn. How you get so big levels in the M&M1? I grinded like mad on Caryatids and, later, wyverns, and still finished with 15 lvl party.

Was that question for me? You might have misread since I only mentioned reaching lvl 10. Finishing the game at 15 sounds about right.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Was that question for me? You might have misread since I only mentioned reaching lvl 10. Finishing the game at 15 sounds about right.
Level 10 at Sorpigal area still sounds pretty big for me. Probably I forget something and, after all, I toed and froed between all cities with the Fly spell all the time.
Level 15 could be a little underleveled. Some encounters in the final areas clearly made for higher level party. They could be skipped, though.

Dorateen

Arcane
Always good to see another Might & Magic Let's Play. Even better, from the start of the series.

Regarding the generation of a new party from scratch, did this one allow creation of a full roster of characters like MMII? I recall making more than the initial six who would comprise the "primary party", taking their equipment and selling it for a little extra starting gold. Did this in Tunnels & Trolls, and a few other early games that allowed the player full control of character creation.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I have an update for today, but despite playing for two hours last night I accomplished basically nothing except the death of two party members. :oops: I didn't even realize until after I had saved, so IDtenT and Irenaeus have been replaced with Night Goat and shiteatingnippledick. Oh, and I still have no money. Where is the loot in this game?

We can't even go in the dungeon since one of the enemies turned our torches into (USELESS ITEM). Guess we'll be dicking around in the forest for part 3.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, and I still have no money. Where is the loot in this game?
Just press S after each battle.
There is unguarded chest near Sorpigal (one screen to the west, afair. Check the maps), you can get a lot of items useful for low-level party and some money.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Regarding the generation of a new party from scratch, did this one allow creation of a full roster of characters like MMII? I recall making more than the initial six who would comprise the "primary party", taking their equipment and selling it for a little extra starting gold. Did this in Tunnels & Trolls, and a few other early games that allowed the player full control of character creation.
You could create a full party and switch party members any time you were at an inn. However, their stats were randomly generated so it was tough to get a party as good as the default one. Also, generated characters started out with just a club (which has a 0 gold sale value) and no gold, so the equipment selling won't work.

The default party has decent stats, some basic equipment, a little gold, and more rations than generated characters, so that's why the default party is usually recommended.

Dorateen

Arcane
What about selling the basic equipment of the default party... would that be an option? And of course transferring their gold to a character you made, to then be shared among other player made party members.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
What about selling the basic equipment of the default party... would that be an option? And of course transferring their gold to a character you made, to then be shared among other player made party members.
That could work, but it would be better to transfer the equipment (starting gold and supplies, too) outright to your new chars rather than selling it, since items sell for half of their purchase price, I think.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
B9cWK98.png

5185.jpg
Deja vu. Let's retrace our steps lah.
13456.jpg
This is like that thing the Nameless One was talking about.

Going north down a corridor we haven't explored yet, we find another statue just outside of Ye Olde Hogge Tavern.

VsFiGEA.png

15975.jpg
What could it mean?
11748.jpg
Let's make note of it for future reference.

l0YTkUe.png

I4irrVL.png

14602.jpg
No money. Sorry you guys, we can't have a drunken gay orgy. :cry:
5185.jpg
Why is everyone screaming?
13456.jpg
Ho, over there! The tavern is under attack!

bEUy8L8.png

Weak. We auto-resolve the combat and it's over in a few seconds. Leaving the tavern, we head west towards the jail.

B0QtZgk.png

W3mdtId.png

There are two locked doors here, the labeled one and another directly south of it. We open the south door first.

6332.jpg
I'll take care of this.

zuCy0Pj.png

14602.jpg
Thunder thighs.

NKvKwM8.png

ZcYphk3.png

K8KSJtb.png

bbwD0Qq.png

13456.jpg
14602.jpg
11748.jpg
15975.jpg
:martini:

i2QyvHy.png

5185.jpg
:negative:

qp022wM.png

nXhjgZf.png

We then turn and are immediately attacked by skeletons. Auto-resolve.

uH9FwQ1.png

11748.jpg
Wait! That part of the floor doesn't look safe to walk on.

*CRASH*
VabqhSq.png

15975.jpg
We've fallen into the town's dungeon.
13456.jpg
Let me get my torch.

jxzeYwE.png

13456.jpg
Ah, that's better.

5qD8IpO.png

5185.jpg
Come on you guys, we can take it!

no_you_can_t_by_vocaloid_miku_01-d6njqrb.png

MH2TBx8.png

We reload and head back to the southern room of the jail we were in before we fell into the dungeon. This time we face some kobolds instead of guardsmen... whatever.

gMxTutd.png

ftqiWYG.png

be2YFqe.png

khwScGS.png

If this were a group of 5 orcs we'd be fucked. Fortunately, one orc is really no big deal. At this point, we go to the inn and save, and I discover that doors re-lock and enemies respawn when you do that, so we fight some snakes at the jail to get back in.

WCpQIP1.png

6332.jpg
My commie sense is tingling! I'm detecting the presence of passable walls in this area.
15975.jpg
Satanic magic.

We pass through a wall and enter complete darkness. This nasty little fucker lets us know we're dead meat.

qL2Oswg.png

4YmgmXG.png

13456.jpg
Well, at least we can add goblins to our list of enemies not to engage in groups.
5185.jpg
Back again, back again, back again~

tHGEgnk.png

3tmNeaF.png

15975.jpg
God has rewarded us for our perseverance.
11748.jpg
I think it was just the RNG.

5RcSUEc.png

13456.jpg
What the hell? Our torches are of no use in this darkness.
14602.jpg
Another gimmick to make our lives harder. Just like that no magic zone.
6332.jpg
Fear not, my natural sense of direction will guide us to victory.

vknm451.png

dmvCmIC.png

6332.jpg
Like I said.
11748.jpg
I'm out of spell points. It's resting time gang.

v5ZYqUt.png

bB3IJgt.png

After a bit of fumbling around in the dark again, we make it out of the jail. Time to head west and south, towards the hall of statues.

IEgjWlj.png

xFwE4OD.png

N36jzCU.png

TmEJMOQ.png

13456.jpg
Very advice, such cryptic, much helpful.
14602.jpg
We totally weren't going to visit all five towns before we read that we needed to.

FYQ9uCh.png

15975.jpg
A horde of dannyfaggot1's! Kill them!

yPpVUz9.png

6332.jpg
Finally, an objective to all this dumbfuckery.
13456.jpg
We're going to be doing a lot of grinding along the way, I'm sure.
15975.jpg
Let us seek this Ranalou fellow as soon as possible.
6332.jpg
Finding him may be the key to understanding Might and Magic I.

csUJ4vA.png

To the north, we find a Hall of Monster Closets. We might as well kill them all.

8Pu0hqY.png

ZtUVTQ8.png

vYriB9d.png

All these battles were auto-resolved with the power of Ctrl-A. In my recklessness, I didn't realize IDtenT and Irenaeus had died until we already went back to the inn and saved.

20Wg8VO.png

original

6332.jpg
We dragged their corpses all the way back to the inn and didn't realize they were too far gone. Immersion shattered.
13456.jpg
Our friends Night Goat and shiteatingnippledick can save us yet.

9LGls6c.png

b0iqQTV.png

11748.jpg
Let's take them with us, at least until we can gather the 400 gold to resurrect Ire and IDtenT.

16744.jpg
Incline of this party.
13387.jpg
I'm not very organized guys, you will have to hold all my stuff for me in the future. :codexisfor:
13456.jpg
It would appear that all our torches have been turned into (USELESS ITEM)s. No point going in the dungeon right now.
16744.jpg
So, we can either keep grinding in town or go explore the outdoors a bit.
5185.jpg
We could be rolling in cash right now if the DM remembered to search bodies after combat...
6332.jpg
Let's head out of Sorpigal. I've heard tell of unguarded treasures and magical fountains in the wilderness.

BmNi7Gv.png

To be continued...

Edit: Additionally, after comparing character stats, I've decided we're going to resurrect IDtenT and replace Night Goat when we can and keep SEND for the long haul.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom