Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Beta-Test Wasteland 2

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Let's Beta-Test Wasteland 2

:yeah:

----------
Updates:
#00: Incline Has Finally Arrived (well, almost) [this post, check below]
#01: Talkin' 'n Walkin'
#02: Undergunned and Unprepared
#03: Death Machines, part I
#04: Death Machines, part II
#05: Getting On With It, part I
#06: Getting On With It, part II
#07: Wonders of Nature
#08: A Whole Lotta Words
#09: There Really Was No Better Team Available
#10: Mushroom Samba
#11: Feed The World
#12: And There Was Much Rejoicing
#13: Summary & Bonus
----------
After years and years of waiting, we're finally getting a proper follow-up to our beloved Fallouts (not that New Vegas is a bad game), not to mention it being an actual sequel to Wasteland, which I haven't really played.

In before :mob:

Or at least we hope we're getting that. Wasteland 2 is still in a pretty rough state, but it is actually playable, so without further ado, let's play it and see for ourselves.

Update 00: Incline Has Finally Arrived (well, almost)

wl2b_up01_000.jpg

Unfortunately the DLC link does not work at the moment, so we won't be getting any red boots for now. Hopefully they fix it soon!

Actually, it's a joke.

wl2b_up01_001.jpg

We set the graphics to 'Fantastic' quality.

Which seems to be another joke...

Also, I will be playing on medium difficulty, whatever it is actually called.

wl2b_up01_002.jpg

We can create a party of up to four characters, or choose some premade ones, or any mix of these two options. And no, I will not be soloing this, why would You ask?

wl2b_up01_003.jpg

Let's take a look at character creation screen. It is divided into four parts. First, we can choose our initial attributes.
With starting value of three and only seven spare points, there are some painful choices to make here, especially that all attributes seem to be valuable. Except maybe Charisma, which is only needed by the party leader, from what I've seen so far.

wl2b_up01_004.jpg

It's even more harsh with skills. We get twelve points, but unlocking a skill costs two points (the cost of upgrading it to level 2 is also two points), so You can only get six level one skills at most.

wl2b_up01_005.jpg

All the flavour stuff goes in here. No idea if these have any gameplay relevance.

wl2b_up01_006.jpg

The appearance options are rather limited in this beta, but sufficient. It would be nice to get more options in the final game, but it doesn't really matter that much, due to how this game looks in action.

wl2b_up01_007.jpg

For this playthrough Commander Codex will be accompanied by four no-lifes loyal readers of my Baldur's Gate 2 LP, which You should check out if You haven't already [/shameless advertisement]. We shall see how Codex' crew will fare in the wasteland. Hopefully they won't die in the first random encounter.

----------
TPKs: 3

1: lv. 1 - first ever random encounter against some rail thieves (#02)
2. lv. 1 - Robots! - mostly shot down by Killers (#03)
3. lv. 1 - Robots! - another unsuccessful attempt to fight robots (#04)

Last edited:

hostergaard

Educated
Hmm, look interesting. Get those updates up and running soon so I can I have my curiosity sated!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Update #1: Walkie-Talkie

wl2b_up01_008.jpg

Obviously most people playing this will post their impressions and 'bug reports' on random internet forums they attend, instead of the designated site. Good luck sorting that out, inXile. :troll:

wl2b_up01_009.jpg

Wait, is this really 1680x1050? I must have messed something with graphics settings...

Nope.

wl2b_up01_010.jpg

A word of warning: Vargas will kick Your ass if You fuck with him, so just don't.

Trust me, I've tried.

wl2b_up01_011.jpg

azira.jpg
Like we had any choice.

storyfaq.jpg
Yeah I've heard of shotgun weddings and even shotgun divorces, but this was the first time I've seen - and experienced - a pearl-handed revolver funeral... Uh, retirement.

wl2b_up01_012.jpg

wl2b_up01_013.jpg

codex.jpg
Good thinking on sending him alone...

wl2b_up01_014.jpg

wl2b_up01_015.jpg

Wasteland: The Next Generation. Actually, that would not be a bad title.

wl2b_up01_016.jpg

wl2b_up01_017.jpg

wl2b_up01_018.jpg

wl2b_up01_019.jpg

wl2b_up01_020.jpg

wl2b_up01_021.jpg

erebus.jpg
Mission!

codex.jpg
Yes, Erebus. It's good that you're paying attention.

wl2b_up01_022.jpg

wl2b_up01_023.jpg

The full-sentence counterparts to keywords are neither funny nor informative in any way. Sometimes they're just the keyword itself with a question mark at the end. Pretty pointless, really. IMO, implementing them was a waste of time and effort and I don't envy the writer(s) who had to do it.

wl2b_up01_024.jpg

wl2b_up01_025.jpg

codex.jpg
This map is hardly readable. I could mark two X's on a sheet of crumpled paper myself, and it would be just as useful.

wl2b_up01_026.jpg

erebus.jpg
Radio!

storyfaq.jpg
Why does he have to keep doing that?

codex.jpg
Just bear with it.

wl2b_up01_029.jpg

wl2b_up01_030.jpg

wl2b_up01_031.jpg

wl2b_up01_032.jpg

wl2b_up01_033.jpg

wl2b_up01_034.jpg

wl2b_up01_035.jpg

codex.jpg
I have my doubts.

wl2b_up01_036.jpg

azira.jpg
So, he's actually sending us out there armed with a shotgun, a pistol and two knives. I thought it was just a bad joke.

storyfaq.jpg
You have the least to complain about, you got the shotgun... Yeah, why exactly did she get the shotgun, commander?

codex.jpg
Because... uh.... I'd rather not...

azira.jpg
Because I actually have some skill to use it, idiot.

codex.jpg
Yeah, that's right. That's why.

storyfaq.jpg
Hm.

wl2b_up01_037.jpg

Meet our rangers. Commander Codex, an American Atheist smoking Coffin Nails, is the well-rounded leader character. I'm curious if such a build is viable.
I won't show each sub-screen, so here's a breakdown of his skills:

assault rifles 1
bladed weapons 1
alarm disarming 1
lockpicking 1
leadership 1
smart ass 1

wl2b_up01_041.jpg

He got a knife as a starting weapon. Don't select assault rifles at the start, bros, You won't get a freebie.
Apparently, you get a wepon in which You are the most skilled in, but if You have equal skill in two kinds o wepons, You will get only one of them. In this case, the game has chosen bladed weapons instead of assault rifles. Thanks a lot.

wl2b_up01_038.jpg

StoryFAQ, a Chinese Hinduist, is our smart guy. He smokes the Styx brand. His skills are as follows:

handguns 1
sniper rifles 1
computer tech 1
synth tech 1
field medic 1
surgeon 1

wl2b_up01_042.jpg

He starts out with a revolver.

wl2b_up01_039.jpg

Erebus, a walking meat tank, may not be the smartest tool in the shed, but that's not why we hired him. His 34 HP should hopefully keep him alive while charging at gun-wielding enemies, because he is our melee fighter. Oh, he's also a Muslim Mexican, smoking Coffin Nails just like his idol, Commander Codex.

Skills:

bladed weapons 1
blunt weapons 1
brawling 1
brute force 1
demolitions 1
evasion 1

wl2b_up01_043.jpg

He starts with a knife, but that's ok in this case.

wl2b_up01_040.jpg

Azira is our fast-bunny, team-pet, hit-'n-run girl, serving as the team scout and... well, she serves other purposes as well, but don't ask Commander Codex about this, because You won't get an answer.
Christian and Russian. Smokes Nico-Pops.

Skill list:

shotguns 1
submachine guns 1
safecracking 1
evasion 1
outdoorsman 1
perception 1

wl2b_up01_044.jpg

A double-barrelled shotgun. Not bad.

wl2b_up01_045.jpg

azira.jpg
Hey, there's something buried here, I think.

wl2b_up01_046.jpg

codex.jpg
Let's check. Erebus, get on this.

erebus.jpg
Sure thing, boss.

wl2b_up01_047.jpg

codex.jpg
Nothing. Next time, you're digging, Azira.

wl2b_up01_048.jpg

Map exit is here, but we're not using it just yet.

BTW, I wouldn't mind if the game was a little bit less blury.

wl2b_up01_049.jpg

erebus.jpg
I see a pretty lady.

wl2b_up01_050.jpg

codex.jpg
No problem. It was hard not to cry at the funeral. Especially when Vargas told us we're not getting any equipment for the mission.

wl2b_up01_051.jpg

wl2b_up01_052.jpg

wl2b_up01_053.jpg

wl2b_up01_054.jpg

wl2b_up01_055.jpg

erebus.jpg
Ooh, ooh! Me! I know! Dead! He's dead!

wl2b_up01_056.jpg

wl2b_up01_057.jpg

wl2b_up01_058.jpg

azira.jpg
'Boring and scientific'. Seems like something right up your alley, SF.

storyfaq.jpg
Bite me, ballerina.

wl2b_up01_059.jpg

wl2b_up01_060.jpg

wl2b_up01_061.jpg

wl2b_up01_062.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
I'm sorry, but calling Erebus 'cute as a little kitten' does not compute at all.

wl2b_up01_063.jpg

wl2b_up01_064.jpg

wl2b_up01_065.jpg

wl2b_up01_066.jpg

wl2b_up01_067.jpg

wl2b_up01_068.jpg

wl2b_up01_069.jpg

erebus.jpg
Gilbert is a funny name.

wl2b_up01_070.jpg

codex.jpg
Is he the one who made this incredible map we got from Vargas? Yeah, huge talent there.

wl2b_up01_071.jpg

wl2b_up01_072.jpg

wl2b_up01_073.jpg

wl2b_up01_074.jpg

wl2b_up01_075.jpg

wl2b_up01_076.jpg

I smell a quest.

wl2b_up01_077.jpg

wl2b_up01_078.jpg

wl2b_up01_079.jpg

wl2b_up01_080.jpg

wl2b_up01_081.jpg

wl2b_up01_082.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Yeah, one could think Rangers shot his dog, or something.

wl2b_up01_083.jpg

wl2b_up01_084.jpg

codex.jpg
And we did not secure it in any way before leaving? Another brilliant decision by Vargas, I presume?

wl2b_up01_085.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
And by killing Red Scorpion Militia.

wl2b_up01_086.jpg

wl2b_up01_087.jpg

wl2b_up01_088.jpg

wl2b_up01_089.jpg

erebus.jpg
Heh, heh! A joke!

azira.jpg
Jesus Christ, Erebus!

wl2b_up01_090.jpg

wl2b_up01_091.jpg

wl2b_up01_092.jpg

wl2b_up01_093.jpg

wl2b_up01_094.jpg

codex.jpg
Vargas did not want you involved? Gee, let me think.
wl2b_up01_095.jpg

wl2b_up01_096.jpg

codex.jpg
I won't tell him, if you won't...

wl2b_up01_097.jpg

Angela looks pretty badass.

wl2b_up01_098.jpg

This is the best melee weapon we have, but Angela won't part with it and she has no blunt weapon skill either, so it will not get much use.

wl2b_up01_099.jpg

azira.jpg
He looks like you, SF.

storyfaq.jpg
Yes, he's my identical clone twin brother, except with no brains. That's why he is stuck here and I'm going with you.

azira.jpg
So, he got the safe and easy job, while you're going out into the wasteland to die? Who's the one with the brains?

wl2b_up01_100.jpg

Right after leaving the map, we receive a radio transmission.

wl2b_up01_101.jpg

codex.jpg
Isn't this a little too late for basic wasteland survival 101?

wl2b_up01_102.jpg

wl2b_up01_103.jpg

wl2b_up01_104.jpg

wl2b_up01_105.jpg

wl2b_up01_106.jpg

Curiously, we did not get the identity of the dispatcher and I couldn't figure out a keyword that would reveal it, if there is one.

wl2b_up01_107.jpg

codex.jpg
Yeah. No worries.
wl2b_up01_108.jpg

wl2b_up01_109.jpg

The overmap exploration is as easy as point and right-click. Reminds me a bit of Expeditions Conquistador, but simpler, with water replacing food as a travelling resource and no division into turns, no camping, etc.

While you roam the wasteland, caches and other points of interest appear (randomly?).

wl2b_up01_110.jpg

codex.jpg
Nice find, Azira.

wl2b_up01_111.jpg

The oasis allows us to replenish out water, obviously. It's good that we found it, because simply retutning to Rangers' Citadel does not give You any water (it should, IMO).

wl2b_up01_112.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
These must be the radiation clouds Angela mentioned.

wl2b_up01_113.jpg

azira.jpg
There's something buried in here.

wl2b_up01_114.jpg

azira.jpg
I'll carry it for now. For evaluation, you know.

wl2b_up01_115.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
We have wandered quite a bit off our target.

codex.jpg
Vargas never said our mission was urgent, so I'm assuming it's not.

wl2b_up01_116.jpg

azira.jpg
Funny we find these here and now.

wl2b_up01_117.jpg

Oases (is that the correct plural form?) have limited water supply too, putting a limit on free roaming (although it is pretty high). I have no idea if they regenerate in time.

Here's what we've found so far:

wl2b_up01_118.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Am I supposed to entrust my life to this?

codex.jpg
You can go without one for all I care.

wl2b_up01_120.jpg

wl2b_up01_119a.jpg

The pump-action shotgun we've found has identical stats to the double barrelled one Azira started with, except it holds more bullets at a time.

BTW, weapon stats are, from left to right, damage, basic accuracy, critical hit chance, ammo capacity and range.

wl2b_up01_119a.jpg

Note that weapon stats change dynamically (based on skills of the character carrying it, I guess?), which, if intentional, is an interesting design decision. Here's how the pump-action shotgun looks in Commander Codex' inventory.

It could also be a bug. :troll:

wl2b_up01_121.jpg

We have neither the skill to use this wepon, nor the ammo for it, but it does looks cool.

wl2b_up01_122.jpg

storyfaq.jpg
Are you sure this is a good idea, commander?

wl2b_up01_123.jpg

codex.jpg
I will answer you in a moment.
----------

Next time: Will Codex' party prevail against Red Scorpion Militia? Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
I don't want to end reading spoilers because I'll only play the first version with a complete single player campaign and I'd rather do it blind, so I'll only read this much, much later.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wasteland 1 references!

The full-sentence counterparts to keywords are neither funny nor informative in any way. Sometimes they're just the keyowrd itself with a question mark at the end. IMO, implementing them was a waste of time and effort and I don't envy the writer(s) who had to do it.

Yeah, I agree. Just keywords would be better. Unfortunately a lot of people complained about them, so yeah.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
:incline: for every lines of good sarcastic dialogues. Never get old.
Will watch, must wait for official release...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
You got trolled pretty bad by the starting weapons... you usually start with a weapon that you have the hightest skill in, so if you had only spent points in Assault Rifles/Snipers, you would get one of those, but since you spent the same ammount on pistols/knives, the game decided to give you those instead. :lol:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
You got trolled pretty bad by the starting weapons... you usually start with a weapon that you have the hightest skill in, so if you had only spent points in Assault Rifles/Snipers, you would get one of those, but since you spent the same ammount on pistols/knives, the game decided to give you those instead. :lol:
Good to know. I'll edit that in later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom