Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

86box emulation can play any windows 95/98 game

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Currently testing out and so far all games run in software/3dfx mode and getting 30+ fps, they are perfectly playable. :shittydog:

As windows 95/98 is dos native, you can also run dos games in it.

My settings are windows 95 osr 2,5, s3 virge, SLI voodoo 2, 128mb ram, pentium 200 mmx

ci.86box.net - get the version optimized for your cpu

and yes, the CD audio also works with daemon tools

AHJ1cIM.png

CHs0GQn.png

bLT2Rd6.png

blmX9yi.jpg

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not sure about this project specifically, but I figured progress was being made on that era of games working on modern systems reliably when I got Shadows of the Empire from GOG. That was a game I definitely could NOT getting running on Win7 no matter what I did and the GOG version works perfectly.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Not sure about this project specifically, but I figured progress was being made on that era of games working on modern systems reliably when I got Shadows of the Empire from GOG. That was a game I definitely could NOT getting running on Win7 no matter what I did and the GOG version works perfectly.

yea well it's not the same, here you basicaly have an old PC and can play all of those games, while GoG do not have all of them.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Why need to drop carefully configured PCem for this... whateverthefuck this is?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Why need to drop carefully configured PCem for this... whateverthefuck this is?

pcem was giving me worse performance last time i checked it, and this is just a pcem fork so you configure it the same.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Darklords rising working perfectly, it's the only game i could never get to work no matter what:shittydog:

pqV67uL.png

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
This is nice but all the games you posted already worked under Win 7 64 bit.

not all of them, even those from GoG are not 100% compatible.

and good luck getting Warlords 3 working on win 7 with CD audio.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
btw if you are having a crash in i76,,,,, go to your 3dfx options in windows 'properties' and check the menu with the 2mb ram option in 'advanced' tab, it works fine after that

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
One would think that games from 2000 would work worse, but they actualy work better, with dungeon keeper 2 and xwing alliance im getting better fps than with interstate 76 lol

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
btw those that don't know, to get pixel perfect ratio you need to set your resolution right for your monitor for example:

640x480 in emulator 3 times for your monitor is 1920x1440

2 times if you can't set res so high is 1280x960

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From 2000-ish? There are hundreds, man. Cool thread by the way, nice to know that there are options when old windows games just refuse to run properly :salute:
It's funny, really, how DOSBox and other emulators have made games from the 80s/early 90s more playable on modern systems than a lot of more recent games.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Trying this out, have a question.

How do I mount CDs/floppies? A bunch of guides I've seen for PCem (including the one linked above last page above again, damn people deleting their posts) and older versions of 86box have a 'disc' drop down menu, but I can't find any options for this in the 86Box version I downloaded.

lmHHggr.png

Can't find any way to do this in the Settings menu either.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom