Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's get level drained dry! Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession LP

huySAWj.jpg

mobygames said:
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession is a party-based RPG that utilizes AD&D rules.
:greatjob:

mobygames said:
Combat is done in real time.
:cry:

I've played Stradh's Possession when I was pretty young. Very cool game with very good atmosphere, visuals and incredible music and sound effects. The Ravenloft horror feel is really there.
Sounds good.

Unfortunately the game is ridden with bugs and some bad designs. For bugs, the worst of the worst is bow & arrows seems never do ANY damage at all. The occasional crash.
Oh my.

I always loved the atmosphere of Strahd's Possession most of all, and actually really enjoyed myself through the game. Sound effects, music and enemies are really well done for the mood, but the level indoor design can be tiresome (if only it was more like Doom). I also enjoyed the "unusually" written dialogue and the animated dialogue portraits, which were a strong point of all three games IMO.
I would choose Ravenloft over a game like DA:O or Oblivion easily.
Well, duh.

It starts out alright, but it won't take long 'till it becomes one long and boring drudgefest through dungeons full of level-draining undead... and the only means to restore those lost levels doesn't become available until about 80% through the game, when you've killed most of the level-drainers.
That's just horrifying.

If you can barely tolerate the realtime blob games like Dungeon Master, EOB, Ishar etc, the Ravenloft games are best of the breed. Yes, they are extremely atmospheric (featuring arguably *the* best soundtracks ever to grace an RPG, in particular), and yes, they are even scary at times (level drain is scary no matter how high a level you are).
:hero:

Sooo, I think I'll give it a try, but... I'll need your help with party creation!

A party can have up to four characters, but at the beginning of the game there are only two, so we get only those two to customize.

Start with choosing a gender:

qrSsylB.png
iPrOWRc.png

Next pick up a race:

tL5ECBv.png
YSixQlE.png
yhDTL2h.png
t4f9uiY.png
ZcuL4zW.png
S3pnVXT.png

Dwarf
Ability Score Modifiers: Dexterity -1, Constitution +1, Charisma -2
Allowable Classes: Cleric, Fighter, Thief, Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Thief

Elf
Ability Score Modifiers: Dexterity +1, Constitution -1
Allowable Classes: Cleric, Fighter, Mage, Ranger, Thief, Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Thief, Mage/Thief, Fighter/Mage/Thief

Gnome
Ability Score Modifiers: Intelligence +1, Wisdom -1
Allowable Classes: Cleric, Fighter, Thief, Cleric/Thief, Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Thief

Half-elf
Ability Score Modifiers: None
Allowable Classes: Cleric, Fighter, Mage, Ranger, Thief, Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Thief, Fighter/Mage, Cleric/Ranger, Cleric/Mage, Thief/Mage, Fighter/Mage/Cleric, Fighter/Mage/Thief

Halfling
Ability Score Modifiers: Dexterity +1, Strength -1 (for non-fighters)
Allowable Classes: Cleric, Fighter, Thief, Fighter/Thief

Human
Ability Score Modifiers: None
Allowable Classes: Cleric, Fighter, Mage, Paladin, Ranger, Thief

Class is the next thing to decide:

JdvIrap.png
xlckpVy.png
7kzQIPB.png
nIIGYfZ.png
4mQTnvK.png
5uzFupa.png

Alignment:

53ZJqTP.png
EXEHICM.png
Nl4vDoD.png
varBwHR.png
vjLOYWj.png
8rMTia3.png

Don't forget to choose a portrait:

Male portraits

Dk1aqzB.png
WkXJ6mY.png
wEqARIv.png
L7lMrwe.png
BgEni9i.png
HVIrhtp.png

oN1i8ef.png
bzRHFaT.png
a5G77Hc.png
wDUWozU.png
d9hdwyp.png
O2UfScm.png

YpH2Jmy.png
iNRC4Ke.png
SeF5eIz.png
YI96KoD.png
BTsFIF9.png

Female portraits

yIaf3Xn.png
UShgLXJ.png
Krareng.png
hQf2la0.png
ctrtNHV.png
fJ54kVh.png

J2SGFHI.png
xBX7l3d.png
uIFqkc4.png
K9npTgp.png
BgpbfnJ.png
U6EJKXb.png

GCBViEQ.png
ExHP6RC.png
tOmeCeO.png
c59eO7Z.png
mF84qGx.png

Next up we have ability scores, which can be rolled or adjusted manually to the values of your liking.

The last thing to do is to name your character. That's it!

So, post your characters and I may or may not put them into my party. Exciting!

:M

Oh, and here is an engaging intro that sets the stage for an upcoming adventure:

More ear-pleasing version courtesy of a certain gay mod:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
TN male human wizard, named Ulminati. Portrait: Top row, #2 from the left.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
A procrastinator LP! :hug:

Will follow. You already have three volounteers though, so I'll refrain from adding more noise. :salute:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
TN Dwarf Rogue Fighter/ThiAf by the name of MalackRoss. The last male portrait.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Btw, Turn Undead should be significantly less effective in Ravenloft by the book, dunno how much it nerfs Clerics in the game...

Ok, so I think that with a maximum party size of only four, it would be nice to have some multiclass characters on board. And seeing as everyone keeps talking about level drain, I believe that cleric is a must. There is only one multiclass applicant, so Malack Ross is in. Vladimir gets a nod over Deacon D. Dazzle, because 'Deacon D. Dazzle' doesn't fit into the input field :M
My apologies to everyone who didn't make it, but such is life :salute:

I'll try to post an update before the next week.

Edit: A pity there were no wimmin to choose from, I was hoping for

Hq9yeM7.jpg

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
WOWOW goooood. Can't wait to see how you play the game. I still have fond memories of how I almost shat my pants when the first warg attacked me...

The game do have tons of issues as you quoted from me. I remember a few others that you may or may not want to exploit or avoid:
- The magic sling is the most useful weapon evah. Slings and throwing stones always hit, and the magic sling automatically aims for you. Also, Magic Stone is permanent in this game, and it hits hard against undead (2d4 instead of 1d4).
- There's no restoration spell or service in this game, and you can imagine how horrible that is for a game in Ravenloft setting.
- A lot of spells doesn't work as you may thought. Magic missiles is only one ball of energy instead of X. Fireball IIRC have no AOE at all and works just like MM. Burning Hands and Icestorm on the other hand deals HUGE AOE and can decimate groups of enemies in your whole screen.
- Due to some very bad quest design, there's one house in the city that as soon as you try to enter it and you see an event trigger, you'd better load game instead of continuing. Because the place to solve that quest cannot be accessed until later in the main quest and you're basically stuck with a very bad situation before reaching that part.
- Poison and disease are stupidly lethal and cure is rare. And interestingly enough, in this game there is no limit at all for resting, so it is normal to see your poisoned guys rest for hundreds of hour just to heal back up.
- Try to check for me if bows & arrows really don't work? The last time I tried that was like 7 or 8 years ago, with the latest version installed.

Try to check for me if bows & arrows really don't work? The last time I tried that was like 7 or 8 years ago, with the latest version installed.
Doesn't work for me with the version I got from TPB, but it does work with the Abandonia's version. So I guess it was broken on the CD version.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Try to check for me if bows & arrows really don't work? The last time I tried that was like 7 or 8 years ago, with the latest version installed.
Doesn't work for me with the version I got from TPB, but it does work with the Abandonia's version. So I guess it was broken on the CD version.

HAHAHA lolwut, so that's it then? All the versions I played are the CD version.

tred

Augur

there is a beautiful release of this game on the net (not Abandonia's version). It's the full CD already patched and configured with DOSbox, ready to play. Also comes with the manual + cluebook.

TurnBasedGod

Barely Literate
The only thing I hated about Strahd's possession was that Strahd was immune to any weapon below +3, and as such there was only one +3 weapon in the game (that I ever found) and that was the mace+3 that dead cleric had on him. Sure you needed the amulet to seal his death, but you still had to weaken him.

I should look up a modern day FAQ for it, reinstall it in DOSbox and see if there were other +3 weapons.

tred

Augur
there is a beautiful release of this game on the net (not Abandonia's version). It's the full CD already patched and configured with DOSbox, ready to play. Also comes with the manual + cluebook.
This one? Bows are b0rked, so
:killit:

really? I didn't know that, as I rarely use bows because they're usually overpowered.
mmm, do you know if there is a better version around?

Part I: Let's go trippin'

I'm going to play the CD version with 1.2 patch. The bows don't seem work even with this patch, but from what I've gathered the CD version has more content. No specifics though.

RawvuQe.png

We'll start with creating our heroes.

n2I7lE2.png

:thumbsup:

OKcxBne.png

ytIKfVD.png

Meet Vladimir.

BMgpHjp.png

And Malack Ross.

lFp3x8A.png

The grim darkness of future awaits!

dUYu9zO.png

To remind you, we are currently chasing an assassin who stole some amulet.

BGFFFlk.png

Starting equipment. Those are 'Cure serious wounds' and 'Neutralize poison' scrolls.

DJ9o2sS.png

The numbers speak for themselves.

em4ZBai.png

Target spotted.

3BCHjzw.png

There are two ways to attack an enemy: either click-click-click on its sprite or click-click-click on your weapons.

wlPIMzW.png

Dayam, he landed quite a few hits on us. As soon as he goes down, a message pops up:

iKAK6OO.png

Let's see what we get for our trouble.

YFd1Ls8.png

What the fuck is mortal ardor? :?

m0y8Y5S.png

Parchment, eh?

zG4HCx9.png

You're not freeing anyone anytime soon, buddy.

IUNjSRC.png

Phew, the amulet is safe. There is one last thing lying on the ground, so we'll just take it and be on our way. But as soon as we pick it up...

Yfths8S.png

Oh noes!

f0vTW0f.png

aAHS4ds.png

O9bAXK2.png

:eek:

8yMDqaR.png

EloIYeN.png

:what:

m6i81Av.png

Then suddenly all is silent.

KfOEGTv.png

iAgUv4r.png
Lord Dhelt's amulet and those foul objects we found on the assassin are gone. Gone! They've vanished: don't you see they've been stolen from us?

:rage:

TodcbQb.png

I have a bad feeling about all this. Retreat!

ysgJnEn.png

Looks like there is no turning back now...

rXwqTDE.png

Well, in that case let's see where we are.

CvtqyIa.png

The building to the west looks like a good place to start.

v9J3Pzc.png

SX8EPoP.png

Updated my journal.

bVZVD14.png

Thursday never came. There is a letter near the skeleton:

sMX1Eyn.png

:salute:

tv7c2kN.png

Here you can see the trap door that Malack was talking about.

K2HYA67.png

:hmmm:

hmB3OFD.png

*click*

r388hP3.png

:smug:

Hd6TrF9.png

Not much inside, other than a couple locked doors. But we can rest safely here, so no complaints.

fmkIW53.png

It wouldn't be a bad idea to manage Vladimir's spells before resting.

s4fYgdN.png

I have no idea what we'll need soon, so I just pick up a few curative spells.

RUFG6cE.png

Nice background.

:desu:

xOdDSy1.png

That's some quality resting.

J4aMWZw.png

With a mighty roar worg plunges at us.

jFPmz28.png

Two worgs!

BTAPXPl.png

:eek:

PX3OZK8.png

While skillfully strafing and rocket jumping, I try to evade worgs and heal our party. Who knew that real-time blobbing could be so awesome :roll:

aCEbxxG.png

Barely managed to survive. Grab those stones and off to the resting chamber we go.

EsKig2f.png

More worgs as soon as we're out of the house. This time it went much better though :itsamystery:

vl0yCF7.png

We've met someone near the house, but before I could start a conversation...

zthIfDu.png

:rage:

It went smooth again, so no worries. Let's do the talking.

0qxDHsp.png

YP00Erh.png
Sir, you appear to have lost your way, much as we have. Is there any assistance we might offer?

Olurwwm.png

YP00Erh.png
Would you direct us to a town, some settlement where we might bargain for supplies, or raise a tankard to dull our thirst?
6uWhn9v.png
But from where... Ah, you come from the mist! I've heard of such things. If evil the like of that is upon us, I urge you - get away! The forest will not be safe. A road lies a way off, but if you make haste, you may reach it alive. From there you'll find your way to Barovia.
YP00Erh.png
Do you know of the dwelling nearby? We came upon a hut where the welcome died out long ago. Its owner lay unburied within.
6uWhn9v.png
All I know of it is this: I found no sign of my son there. He is lost, and my hopes to find him lie as dead as the corpse in that place. I leave pieces of my hope behind with each cold step. The corpse of my hope lies unburied on the land. But you must go. You are not safe in these devil woods!
iAgUv4r.png
Please, answer us this: is the name Strahd familiar to you?
6uWhn9v.png
Aye, the name is no mystery. Here you breathe it on the air: you feel it from every fire and hear it on the whispers of the night. Look to the peaks, the rocks, the streams: there is Strahd! 'Twas Lord Strahd freed the land from old Dorian, sometimes called Dorian the Pig-hearted, - but that was long, long ago. Take care, for Strahd brooks no insult and applies justice with an iron hand.

He than disappears. After a couple more worg encounters, we retreat to our underground hideout.

yMyD5m8.png

One of the stones on the right wall looks brighter than the others.

nhgqRlV.png

*click*

905ncR9.png

:yeah:

vMESw0Q.png

Behind the doors we found this fancy dagger, 'Raise Dead' scroll, chainmail and some healing potions.

opFlTno.png

To the southeast an unknown NPC is waiting for us, so let's pay him a visit.

lc5DYR4.png

Goblyns are abound in this region.

IqwZb60.png

They are pretty tough.

OWke4BO.png

Uh-oh. Reload.

DgQZAnm.png

Dead again. Maybe I should try using that dagger we found earlier...

2P1x9HV.png

J1xyfJB.png

We can kill goblyns a bit faster now, but it's still kinda tough.

HzTXKek.png

We have finally reached our destination.

KsgehrP.png

YADLPn6.png

YP00Erh.png
Fellow, you've done well to keep your head on your shoulders in this company. Who might you be?
eIPwW5H.png
Don't you recognize a proud merchant when you see one? Well, I'll admit to being an adventurer first and merchant second. I was doing some trading when they caught me on the road, though I think the goblyns ate my goods and may have been about to do the same to me. Well don't stand there gawking, cut me loose!
YP00Erh.png
Merchant, eh? Then you'll understand I'm cutting you loose, but not free, ah, - for free that is. Can you aid us?
eIPwW5H.png
By the gods, I do thank you. But as I said, these beasts have all I had, including some of the Barovia's finest brandywine, in their bellies. All I can offer is my help. At least until some profit comes my way, but till then my hands and heart are yours.
YP00Erh.png
The offer of aid is welcome: forget the profit. I have a feeling that in this dark place a man of your talents will be useful.
eIPwW5H.png
I'll join you, and know that I'll not let us fall prey to goblyns. I've learned their tricks. By the looks of you you're not from Barovia, no, not even Kartakass. No matter. For me, it seems strangers are a good omen!

sbbnA7G.png

kqJme0r.png

Looking good.

vfgyCig.png

I think it's time to gtfo (after a healthy nap). There are two exist, we're going to use the upper one.

azvj4QI.png

Gnawed bones are lying here and there.

hu7EYuC.png

cfwob0e.png

We made it!

dQpyke0.png

clRuDIY.png

Huh, a skeleton.

TTBQL7c.png

EXTREME

XefhANe.png

Let's explore the southern path first.

p554qJ2.png

Perhaps. But I couldn't find anything, so maybe later.

3dK0O4n.png

Criminals are on the loose.

GScyUio.png

2ubAC2K.png

Looks like we don't have many options here. Back we go.

O3StWL5.png

kkLhYfP.png

C69Sac7.png

We'll show them how to fight :mad:

jPkUIj5.png

xqWIIuS.png

This is the last one.

pjXuqJB.png

Awww.

gYmNWRP.png

NVhlWzA.png

And run he did.

UXfj8Ow.png

Killing an occasional worg.

RMPVf1m.png

iAgUv4r.png
Ho, fellow! Which way to the nearest town? You're the first traffic we've encountered that hasn't tried to attack us.

meHEHeF.png

YP00Erh.png
This Barovia, is it a vistani town?
pzlYMiq.png
Ha! No, Barovia is a place for Giorgios, for those not lucky enough to be born Vistani! The boundless world is a gypsy's home... Ah, but the land is not as boundless as it was once, and in places, in the outer regions of Barovia, you will come upon a fog. Beware. It is a vapor, a poisonous mist that rots the organs. Only a Vistani potion can get you through.
YP00Erh.png
Your words have the sound of good sooth. For safety's sake, I ask you, how may we acquire your potion, this antidote for the fog?
pzlYMiq.png
Fifteen coins and the potion is yours. Ah, but your eyes tell me you do not have such a sum! Worry not. I am soon to be in Barovia myself. You will find me at a tavern know as the Blood o' the Vine. Later, you may have coin enough and in good faith, I will reserve some of my potion for the honest fellow I meet upon the road.
eIPwW5H.png
What of the king of this land? We've heard he is a tyrant named Strahd, a man much despised by his people.

Aren't you a native here? :roll:

pzlYMiq.png
I'm afraid you are misinformed. For one, Strahd is no king. Our Lord, Count Strahd von Zarovich makes few laws, and his voice is rarely heard. He rules from the shadows. Even so, he is the Lord, the Land, and the Law, a friend to the Vistani and a just ruler. If you heard otherwise, your ears know the voice of an evil man.

1X9iMbw.png

ApRHVxx.png

:hmmm:

o8gJnnO.png

[Perception] Here is the switch.

jc1gFtl.png

vB2Vq5x.png

TSNnjNz.png

The camp is cleared, but Malack got poisoned during the fight. Good thing we have a 'Neutralize poison' scroll.

Ne11EMR.png

'Fireball' scroll is ours :incline:

Bui6bk8.png

Inventory is getting full. After a long-awaited rest we continue our journey north.

6hMTZUd.png

Why hello thar.

HcTxbZv.png

eIPwW5H.png
You'll find I can be generous with wine, good food and friendly conversation, but coin you must earn. How much do you need?

:martini:

dbUtnCX.png
There's a limit? Is there some level of wealth where we need no more? Well, to be honest: my first goal is to find a house that meets my needs, perhaps in the village of Barovia. After that, I don't know. I've never been very good with plans.
YP00Erh.png
It appears you haven't done too badly, my lady. What have you been up to?
dbUtnCX.png
A little of this and a little of that: whatever might add another feather to my hat, or a coin to my purse.
iAgUv4r.png
I for one believe a coxcomb such as yourself would add flair to the quest. Will you come along and add your blade to the work?
eIPwW5H.png
Blade? That's not what I was thinking about...
dbUtnCX.png
Blade, book and sleight-of-hand: these tools of mine are at your command. May we journey together with laughter in our voices and the sound of jingling coin ever closer to our ears.

14LViVh.png

5buXcOL.png

Will do for now, but I think we'll have to find a better mage later. INT is way too low.

1v4N9FP.png

Finally getting somewhere.

UzwpD0Y.png

Until next time :salute:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Awesome update:thumbsup:

I'm wondering, though: are the PCs native to the Demiplane, or were we born in another world and were dragged into Ravenloft as the game began?

Also, Fhalken's a human? With those beards, I'd totally have thought he's a dwarf...:M

I'm wondering, though: are the PCs native to the Demiplane, or were we born in another world and were dragged into Ravenloft as the game began?
Starting area is called 'FORGOTTEN REALMS FOREST', so I'm pretty sure they were dragged in.
Not to mention this whole mist animation thingie :roll:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awesome update:thumbsup:

Also, Fhalken's a human? With those beards, I'd totally have thought he's a dwarf...:M
In the game they were dragged into Ravenloft through the mists.

In most editions of the setting, only Vistani are really 'native' to Ravenloft -- all the other inhabitants are created by the mists when a new domain is formed. I suppose they can have children there, but it's not really made clear whether the inhabitants are even real.

Erebus

Arcane
Pretty nice so far. I really like the images of the mists creeping in.

I guess, in a more recent D&D game, Velika would have been a bard instead of a F/M/T. Shame her stats are rather poor.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Pretty nice so far. I really like the images of the mists creeping in.

Strahd's Possession's was a very nicely designed game. A lot of the game's awesomeness can't be felt just by reading the LP. The mist scene for instance, as it creeps in and everything fade to black, the at the forest music stopped playing and the creepy music in the LP started playing, with everything dark around, and hearing wargs howling in the background (Strahd's Possiession's monsters howling in the background may not be the first in RPG games but certainly one of the most well done)...it's almost like playing a survival horror game. But then again, the game do have a survival horror feeling, as you have no money to buy stuff, resources are basically limited, monsters are everywhere (even in the city), and NPCs are all mysterious or wacky.

Looking back, SSI's VGA era games were all so awesome. I still have fond memories of Dark Sun and Al-Qadim, while Dark Legions was one of the finest gem ever. The music and art and the fluid animation of the characters were top even by today's standard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom