Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Illyria Series for Android

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Little Killerz Just got a Razr phone and see in your patch notes that there was a audio bug... was it fixed? Very leery to buy a game, much less a RPG (is it really one?), on a phone but $5 doesn't seem like much. Heck, I spent that on Grid Cartographer and have gotten tons of fun/ use out of it, so who knows.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Hi mindx2,

Yeah, I fixed it! It wasn't bad enough that anyone ever told me about it. It's just something I would see in the crash reports. But yeah not a single crash since the update. If it crashes on you I'll give you a full refund, it won't.

Thanks,
Chad

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hi mindx2,

Yeah, I fixed it! It wasn't bad enough that anyone ever told me about it. It's just something I would see in the crash reports. But yeah not a single crash since the update. If it crashes on you I'll give you a full refund, it won't.

Thanks,
Chad
Alright, reading through this thread and seeing a developer willing to talk (and take criticism... it's the Codex Way) has convinced me to try it out. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get the chance to play through it.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
mindx2 Excellent! I very much hope you like it! With 95% 5 star reviews I'm pretty sure you will! Please give your impressions...

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Djinn Portraits

portraits_vasena_creature_ice.jpg

portraits_vasena_creature_magma_djinn.jpg

portraits_vasena_creature_wind_djinn.jpg

mindx2

Patron
mindx2 and Logic_error

Do you guys have anything to report about your experiences playing the game?

Thanks,
Chad

Not yet. I will write something in this thread when I do.

Just fired it up yesterday and went through the tutorial. Made the mistake of buying too many provisions (food, wine, furs) and didn't have a lot of gold left for equipment and ended up just having a sword. With all the provisions my character was severely encumbered and was taking forever to walk anywhere. Is there a menu I missed that shows how much a character can carry and the weight of objects? Regardless, since I only had a sword my character was quickly overcome by the wolf that was chasing the wild horse. I probably skipped over the instructions on how to disable the auto-AI as my character would take his turn without my input if I waited too long to press on the screen. I'll be firing it up again over the next few days but have enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
mindx2

LOL! If you click the provisions box it will give you a break down of everything you are carrying and how encumbrance is calculated. From there you can drop equipment and provisions. You can also get to it by going into the party menu>inventory.

To toggle AI. In combat Click the character>Change AI>Select AI Type>

Then you can decided to turn on or off, Attack only, Buff only, or Balanced.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Chad

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I bought it the other day based on some of the reviews here and on Google Play. I've played it a bit, and so far, it's a very solid RPG. I'm surprised; because the way it's described, it shouldn't be as good as it is. Yet, somehow, I find myself strangely addicted to it.

Here are some things that could make the sequel better:

- Much more control over your characters in combat. It's my main complaint.
- Easier menus. Everything works fine, but having to click through seven or eight menus to equip a sword is pretty tedious.
- More background information. I know there's this huge codex that comes with the game, but I don't have time to absorb a whole novel's worth of information before entering a game. So, there was some occasional confusion on which factions were which. It would be nice if that was touched on somewhat, as I might have made some choices I didn't want to make because I wasn't sure who was who.

Aside from these minor hiccups, it's a solid game. I'm sure I'll give it a 4 or 5 star rating.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
ProphetSword

Thanks for getting the game and the nice review! I think because so much of the game is in short descriptive text it really gets in your head. People might think it will be boring because it is text but its a lot of fun deciding what choice to make. Plus the game is so streamlined there is basically 0 downtime other than a couple seconds in between events when you can pixel hunt animals, literally. Also the combat is FAST, most party based games get bogged down in combat, not Tales.

- Can you give me a list of the things you would like, remember you can per character turn AI off or change its strategy.
- LOL! Yeah we wanted to keep the menu system simple so you didn't have to learn a bunch of different interfaces. We will see what we can do.
- We had a longer intro but we cut it, as game designers are always told don't tell a player too much at the start as they don't care yet nor will they really know what you are talking about. We also made the mistake of not writing the Codex until after the game was completed so the Lore really wasn't put in one nice place to be referenced by all of the writers. Everything is great now, for the sequel we got an experienced team and we are doing more of the world building before starting.

Thanks,
Chad

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
The best games always have really descriptive text, so I'm not surprised that is part of the appeal for me. It's the same reason I'm a big fan of the old Gold-Box games and many other text-driven narrative CRPGs.

- I've tried to turn the AI off, but the computer still seems to control the character. I wouldn't mind having the option to actually control the character completely, by picking how they attack, who they attack, what spells they cast, etc. The AI is nice, and I applaud how well it seems to handle battles, but part of the fun of playing a CRPG is actually being involved in the battles. Even if such options are available or are added, the AI option should still be there too. Best of both worlds that way.

- As for the intro, it should have probably been included as an option. Even a simple menu option that had two buttons would have worked: ("See the Story Introduction" and "Skip the Introduction and Get Straight to the Game"). People like me enjoy the long introductions because sometimes they do more to immerse you in the story.

- When I was talking about the confusion in my previous post, I actually meant that some of the text could have included hints about things. For example, I avoided one group of guards on the road just because I wasn't sure if they were on my side or not. That's because I couldn't remember which faction was which. Helpful text like this would have helped: "You come across (faction name) guards. You think it might be wise to avoid them because (reason why) --- or, you think you can trust them because they have done (some action)." You understand what I mean? Because there are things my character should know...but that doesn't mean that I, as a player, know these things.

- Finally, if there's a sequel, an option to roll your own character would be nice as well.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
ProphetSword

- I've heard reports of the AI not turning on or off in the current combat. But the next it should be turned off. I haven't been able to reproduce this bug. You should be able to turn AI completely off. If this really isn't the case then I need to track down this bug.

- This is a very good suggestion.

- Yes this is what we cut out of the intro. We still have the cutscene panels. I'll discuss with the writers and see if we can come up with a longer intro.

- Unfortunately this sequel will have preset characters. However the next will probably be a free from game where you pick your character and recruit the team members you want. You will also be able to choose which kingdoms to aid or fight using a faction system.

Chad

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I attempted to turn the AI to "off" for all the characters. It produced one of two effects for the battle:

1) The computer kept fighting for them anyway.
2) The computer didn't fight for them, but they also never got a turn, so they basically stood there while the enemies beat them to death.

Neither of these is a good thing.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
So, does it become a real-time affair then? Because their pictures don't appear on the left side of the screen anymore. So, I'm not sure how it's supposed to work, but it seems like they should still get a turn. If it becomes a type of thing where I have to react to what's going on in real-time, I think I'd rather just let the AI run everything. That's too much work.

I was hoping more for a situation that exists in other turn-based games, where it prompts you when a character's turn comes up and you can select from the list of things to do as well as selecting a target for your action. But, it doesn't seem to be that way.

Oh well.

The real issue for me (and possibly for others) is that while you are greatly involved in other things in the game, the combat is out of your hands. You are more of a spectator than a participant if you let the AI handle things. Still, it's a good game. I just had hoped that the fighting would be something I could control a little more. I suppose it's something you might consider thinking about as an option for future games.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
ProphetSword

It is a realtime turn based affair. They are taking orders in turn but they repeat them so you don't have to issue the order over and over. You know you can issue one off orders to the AI? They will do that order and then switch back to AI.

One option you might like is "Combat Pause" you have to turn it on. It allows you to pause combat and reissue all your orders and then unpause combat.

Do this...

- Turn off AI for all your characters.
- Your guys will just stand there.
- Issue an order to Elric to attack a melee enemy
- Issue and order to Sir Jon to attack a melee enemy
- Issue an order to Gilana to bless
- When Elric has killed his target he will go into defensive mode, Issue him another order to attack a new target
- Same for Sir Jon
- Have Gilana cast Lightning on a enemy or heal Elric or Sir Jon.

See you are in total control of your characters. Its fast and fun!

Thanks,
Chad

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
It leaves something to be desired. But, to be fair, it is the only sticking point for me. I can live with the AI doing the fighting.

Aside from that, the game has been really addicting and fun, and is probably the best money I have spent on an Android app to date. When do you expect a PC version and what will it cost?

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
ProphetSword

Fair enough, I think its really cool the way it is but I made it :-P . Ok let the AI do the work but issue an order every once in a while when you need it.

Thanks for the complement, we have heard that a couple times now. PC should be out in the next 6 months hopefully ahead of the sequel. As far as pricing goes I'm not sure, probably between 5 to 10 dollars.

Thanks,
Chad

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know, I bought this game when you announced its release here and played it once the same day but I haven't touched it since. You know why? Because I just don't play games like these on my damn phone. It doesn't work well in short sessions, especially since you can only save in towns (I think?). I'm not going to start spending 30 minutes on the shitter just to find a convenient time for this game. And it's a damn shame, because the game seemed quite interesting and I remember wanting to play more of it. But I just never felt like actually picking it up. I'll give it another shot when the PC version is out.

Little Killerz

Little Killerz
Developer
Gakkone

Thanks for getting the game! You can save anywhere and as often as you want in causal mode, and now in veteran you can save on the trail but it closes the app when you do.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Gakkone

Thanks for getting the game! You can save anywhere and as often as you want in causal mode, and now in veteran you can save on the trail but it closes the app when you do.

I played in veteran mode. Do you mean that you added the save-and-quit in a patch or was I just too stupid to notice it? I'd really hate it if it was the latter. Because I remember sluggishly making my way towards the first city in one sitting because I thought I couldn't quit without losing all progress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom