Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News 7 Mages Released

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Okay - let us review. They covered Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy whatever, and Dark Souls 3. They fucking nailed it! 100%. Yeah, codex!

You're obviously too retarded to understand the difference between games that should have been covered (what we asked) and games that shouldn't have, which you listed above. I guess you do need a quest compass. But yeah, keep working on that tag or whatever it is you are after here.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Okay - let us review. They covered Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy whatever, and Dark Souls 3. They fucking nailed it! 100%. Yeah, codex!

You're obviously too retarded to understand the difference between games that should have been covered (what we asked) and games that shouldn't have, which you listed above. I guess you do need a quest compass. But yeah, keep working on that tag or whatever it is you are after here.

Look, Mister, I'm not the one saying this site covers the right amount of rpg news. You're the sycophant hipster whereas I actually like rpgs. There is nothing I can say or link or list that would change your hipster sycophant mind, as you really seem to think you are important and know something.

This started by me congratulating the site for covering more rpg news than usual in a three day span. You then went on your sycophant witch hunt. The last thing I need or want is to get into a pissing contest with a fucking know-it-all millennial who thinks hipster shit is rpgs. You are a close minded idiot and I can gain zero by arguing with some fat kid from Canada with Bioware posters over their bed and a brain deluded with thoughts of being intelligent and an overblown estimate of their importance.

From now on, when you see adults conversing, do the world a favor and mind your own business and keep busy shoving twinkies in your mouth, fatty.

You fucking fatso millennial retards just have to butt in to everything with your hipster regurgitations.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I drunk 1 L of beer? a little too much for me, and I'm in a kind of hippie mood - so what are you guys fighting for?
We all love true PRG, not the cheap fake that today's industry producing, so let's kill all popamole's likers and casual-shit suckers!
Together! Unated! In the name of RPG! Motre blodd andgore! hippie modr off.

Andhaira

Arcane
Can anyone go into more detail about the game? A tradition dungeon crawler sounds great but I want to know at least the following: (and yes the fact you can only have mages, and exactly 7, is a turn off)

-TB or RT?
-How much character customization?
-Spell effects any good?
-Any variation in spells, like utility spells?
-Character/Monster animations any good?

V_K

Arcane
-TB or RT?
TB. Mechanically closer to something like the Goldboxes or RoA (action points, each character can move indepedently) than blobber.
-How much character customization?
Not much. That's one of the game's biggest flaws. You get 4 stats (improved on level-up) and 15 skills (improve with use, don't matter much). Low-tier abilites are available to everyone (e.g. even your tank can cast a weak fireball), higher tiers have stat requirements.
-Any variation in spells, like utility spells?
Quite a lot. There are three types of abilites - weapon maneuvres (strictly combat), magical songs (strictly utility) and elemental spells (a mix of both). A few spells are used in puzzle-solving.

Can't comment on the graphics whoring bits - my standards in that regards are rather low.
Also, read the steam reviews. The longer ones are pretty adequate.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Infinitron

where is the front page release coverage for stranger of sword city jesus fucking christ do your fucking job

Roqua

Prospernaut
So, lets see. A Battletec kickstarter update and a news blurb on South Park and Dishonored 2 are news post worthy, but not the monthly news letter of Seven Dragon Saga?

This site really needs someone in charge of something that actually likes rpgs and isn't a fucking hipster console fucking idiot. Why does this site even have a news section? The news page and what these monkey's consider rpg news is just thinly veiled sham to mask the real reason for the news page - to highlight their oh so edgy reviews these monkeys seem to so damn proud of.

Game reviews for rpg fans are like what the youtube videos are to rpg fans now. Unneeded. They are only for hipster trendy idiots. Real people with working brains have no need to get their hipster approved opinions from other fucking morons. Real, thinking people with minds of their own play games instead of watching other people play them.

Sure, Aweigh has shit taste in games but at least he is his own man with his own thoughts and opinions he is willing and able to articulate and express. And it is not like he posts on a fps game forums about his shitty contentless dungeon crawlers. Sane people such as I may not be able to comprehend how he could love Elminage Gothic but dislike the far superior in every single conceivable way MMX, but we don't need fucking console hipsters telling us what to think and what is all trendy now to play or dislike.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:lol: Never change.

If you must know, I didn't post the 7DS update because it was basically just Dave Shelley's Torment review (speaking of reviews...) When they do an actual development update I'll post that.

Last edited:

Roqua

Prospernaut
Never change.

If you must know, I didn't post the 7DS update because it was basically just Dave Shelley's Torment review (speaking of reviews...). When they do an actual development update I'll post that.

Whats you guys' criteria for posting news? I notice a lot of times you post news about games in the forums instead of the news page for real games of interest to fans of rpgs, and not just the monkey fodder only interesting to kids, hipsters, and retards that seem worthy to make the front page.

Is this some kind of millennial thing I am just not able to understand like watching other people play video games on youtube or peter pan skinny tights on guys?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Sure, Aweigh has shit taste in games but at least he is his own man with his own thoughts and opinions he is willing and able to articulate and express. And it is not like he posts on a fps game forums about his shitty contentless dungeon crawlers. Sane people such as I may not be able to comprehend how he could love Elminage Gothic but dislike the far superior in every single conceivable way MMX

It's actually funny that we have the same taste in RPG's. Too bad you're an easily triggered faggot. [Three page rant about millenials incoming]

Roqua

Prospernaut
Sure, Aweigh has shit taste in games but at least he is his own man with his own thoughts and opinions he is willing and able to articulate and express. And it is not like he posts on a fps game forums about his shitty contentless dungeon crawlers. Sane people such as I may not be able to comprehend how he could love Elminage Gothic but dislike the far superior in every single conceivable way MMX

It's actually funny that we have the same taste in RPG's. Too bad you're an easily triggered faggot. [Three page rant about millenials incoming]

No we don't. And what is a triggered faggot? How are they different from untriggered faggots? And what do you have against gays? What did they do to you?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
THIS IS THE PART WHERE I PLAINLY LAY OUT THE REASONS WHY I FIND THE LACK RPG COVERAGE, SPECIFICALLY BY INFINITRON, TO BE INTENTIONALLY DIVISIVE TO THIS COMMUNITY. IN A SCRIPT THIS CALLED A "SET-UP", AND THE FOLLOWING PART IMMEDIATELY AFTER THIS ONE IS CALLED A "PAY-OFF"; NEITHER PART WORKS WITHOUT THE OTHER.

My only contention with Infinitron and his posting of front-page articles is actually quite simple.

About half a year ago when I had the equivalent of a religious epiphany upon reading Crooked Bee 's incredibly insightful and, simply put, quite literary Let's Play of Wizardry 4 I spent a few days pestering people for recommendations on what dungeon crawlers I should begin playing (with the obvious exception of W4, reasons explained at the end); the effect her Let's Play had on me was great not because it was a fantastic Let's Play about the game itself, although of course it was, rather it had a tremendous effect on me because it was the first piece of writing about a sub-genre of RPG that fully explained to me, its reader, exactly how and exactly why this particular sub-genre of turn-based dungeon-crawling was not only worth playing but was actually superior in many aspects to modern day RPGs.

Before reading her Let's Play I actually openly disliked dungeon-crawlers and I considered them to be almost "half-RPGs". I considered them games that were part of a time in video game history but were products of their time back when developers simply did not have the resources or the technology to implement the things of which real RPGs are comprised: things such as a cast of NPC's with which the player avatar, be it a lone character or a party, can interact with and learn more about the game world and accomplish quests for them; as well as things such as what can be simplified in terminology as an "Overworld Map".

Indeed so, a big reason I thought these games, these dungeon-crawlers were "half-RPGs" at best was because of those reasons and for many other minutiae which I won't get into because this post is already long enough. However Crooked Bee's W4 Let's Play educated me on the following aspects:

1) Dungeon design; or rather, why a 10 floor Maze without Towns, Villages, Castles, or Quest-Dispensers were equally integral to the kind of "RPG exploration" that we in the RPGCodex love. I used to believe that exploring endless hallways of a Maze for the sole purpose of killing enemies and acquiring weapons and armor did not require intelligent design nor did it have a gameplaying narrative to contribute.

I was dead wrong. I now know that just like the larger scope and open desert of Fallout 1 comprises a specific "world" for the player to explore; the "endless hallways" of Mazes found inside games such as 7 Mages, Might and Magic, Eye of the Beholder, Etrian Odyssey, Wizardry, etc, achieve the exact same philosophical design purpose for the player.

In the end it is a matter of preferece: AS WITH ALL THINGS IN LIFE IN THE END IT COMES DOWN TO WHETHER YOU PREFER A VIRTUAL REPRESENTATION OF A SUN-FILLED LAND FILLING SPACE BETWEEN TOWNS OR A VIRTUAL REPRESENTATIN OF A FANTASY-GENRE INSPIRED DUNGEON OR MAZE OR PYRAMID BROKEN THAT IS USUALLY LONG FORGOTTEN AND UNEXPLORED.

2) System design; or rather, why the "Blobber" is such an incredibly well-designed way to represent an RPG's player avatar and/or his party of companions. I had always before considered the first-person view and the fact that the characters were not represented on-screen except only by a list of names and that there were usually no animations to accompany the actions taken by the characters to be one of the biggest reasons why I thought of this sub-genre to be something belonging of the past and not necessarily worth paying attention to as an avid RPG player.

Weaned as I was on modern RPGs like Fallout 1 (yes, it was my first real RPG); like many here a huge part of the reason I love that game and other games like Fallout 1 in presentation, be they turn-based or RTwP, were things such as the amazing Sound FX that plays when you fire a Laser Gattling Gun and the incredible Foley FX utilized when you first hear the small child you have murdered suddenly bifurcate before your eyes and then with glee feast your eyes on the child's torso sliding downwards onto the ground, upon which it will make another fantastic Foley FX, and finally the legs of the murdered babe buckle and fall kneeling upon the sands.

Yes, obviously I am using that specific example for hyperbole, but my point is that a big part of the reason games in general are considered "good" are reasons that are completely unrelated to things like system design. After reading Crooked Bee's W4 Let's Play I had found in it an article that fully explained how incredibly detailed the system mechanics in that game were, and to an obvious extent how incredibly detailed the system and game mechanics are in the entire sub-genre of dungeon-crawling, which is made up of:

1. Blobbers that are turn-based wherein you explore both a Dungeon and also an Overworld.
2. Blobbers that are not turn-based (too many variations to list) wherein you explore both a Dungeon and also an Overworld.
3. Blobbers that are not turn-based (too many variations to list) wherein you explore only a Dungeon and also solve Puzzles.
4. Blobbers that are turn-based wherein you explore only a Dungeon and solve Puzzles.
5. Blobbers that are turn-based wherein you explore both a Dungeon and also an Overworld and also solve Puzzles.

You may notice that I did not list rogue-likes in those 5 entries even though they are the original dungeon-crawlers, and it is for the simple reason that I am talking in this specific posting about BLOBBERS. I have never played a rougue-like and therefore I do not feel it is my right to make assumptions about them.

THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU ARE REWARDED FOR READING THE FIRST PART; OR RATHER, HERE I TALK ABOUT THE LACK OF RPGCODEX COVERAGE OF GAMES AND TRY TO DO SO WITHOUT INSULTING INFINITRON.

During my initial honemyoon phase of euphoria after discovering this brand new world of an entire sub-genre of RPGs that I had always before considered antiquated or inferior to modern day RPGs I asked Infinitron to post some sort of front-page article about Crooked Bee's Let's Play of Wizardry 4 because to this day it is still the most informative and best written article about RPGs that has ever been written on this website, and I know this plainly because I have read everything in the front-page of the RPGCodex for the last 11 years.

I PM'd him and he never responded. Later I made a post on the RPGCodex Content forum and asked DarkUnderlord the same thing. He joked that the Codex cannot afford to post something like Bee's writings because it was about a game which featured wire-frame graphics and thus would be unappealing to the RPGCodex readers. Obviously he was joking about this reason, and it sounds much less funny when I type it out without any intentional irony.

I decided to let that go, then, and then something interesting happened: I discovered Elminage: Gothic. I did not discover Elminage: Gothic here in the RPGCodex, no, I discovered Elminage: Gothic via the front-page RPG coverage of the RPGWatch.

THE RPGWATCH. I REPEAT, THE RPGWATCH.

I fell in love with this game which is essentially the modern-day continuation of the classic Wizardry formula. I then asked Infinitron to post front-page coverage about Elminage: Gothic. He never replied. Later on, much later on in another thread I made Infinitron explained to me that he did had posted an article for Elminage: Gothic when the game came out for sale on Steam. I completely missed that article and I properly admitted then that I was wrong about the RPGCodex having never covered such a fantastic RPG, which whether you like it or not is an RPG that fits the criteria for RPG mechanics and therefore front-page RPG Coverage much more than say, Infinitron 's recent System Shock 2 posting which is the pinnacle of non-RPG coverage.

I asked Infinitron then why there had been no coverage of other recently released blobbers, such as Stranger of Sword City, or the recently released non-Blobber Dungeon-Crawler Pyramid, or the recently released Wizardry homage (but NOT a Wiz-clone) beautiful looking Paper Sorcerer.

These are all games which are of deep interest to all RPG lovers in this community. He simply said that:

1. He cannot post about a game he does not personally know anything about, such as Stranger of Sword City. This is a lie.

2. It is Crooked Bee's job to post about "japanese games". This is a lie.

3. He cannot post about games that are so niche that they are inside a niche. This is a lie.

4. Finally, he openly scorned me for wanting Crooked Bee's Wizardry 4 Let's Play featured on the front-page because, as everyone knows, an "LP" is not fit for front-page coverage.

That's right folks, an "LP" which is full of detailed information about game design and filled to the brim with historical anecdotes and clear philosophical ruminations on intent and game design of the game itself and of the genre itself is not fit for front-page coverage because it is a "Let's Play".

That is fine. If that is a RPGCodex rule then I accept it. No Let's Play's on the front-page... message received. My problem with Infinitron's continuing news posting then is that if such things that are so interesting and so informative cannot be posted on the front page then why does he not make an effort to post about actual RPGs instead of wasting the reader's time with articles about games like Deus EX no. 3 or whatever, or endless postings about vaporware Kickstarter games that are simply put NOT VERY GOOD GAMES AT ALL OR SIMPLY GAMES THAT ARE CLEARLY NOT RPGs OF INTEREST.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It is then my conclusion that it is the responsability of the people who post articles on the front-page to MAKE AN EFFORT TO INFORM THEMSELVES ABOUT EVERY RPG GENRE AND TO POST ABOUT RPGs.

If good men do nothing evil will triumph. If a real RPG is released and is not covered because of personal bias (i.e. it is japanese, for example), then many people yearning for such types of games, or even people who do not yet know they even care about such games, will never know about such a game's release.

The endless Kickstarter clutter does not help either, and it is further detrimental to coverage of real RPGs when one takes a close look at the actual Kickstarter games themselves and see that they are not representative of the type of RPGs the RPGCodex community wants to play.

There is absolutely no reason not to cover an RPG that is a legitimate RPG and then in turn dedicate coverage to... an interview with someone who wishes to start a Kickstarter about Doom remake or something equally non-RPG.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
To be fair to Infinitron this is not personal. I would have qualms with any person who is the primary poster of front-page content and failed to cover so many RPGs, so you can insert any name you wish instead of Infinitron.

I can only wonder why he would rather not make a post about the release of a recent Blobber such as Stranger of Sword City, or if the fact that it is japanese simply too offensive then why not make a post about games such as Pyramid, Void or the game Paper Sorcerer which never received proper coverage on the RPGCodex; and instead spend time moving threads around and joking about meds.

He could be writing quality news content RIGHT NOW, RIGHT THIS MOMENT, and is instead busily mocking people who simply desire to see a fuller, more expansive coverage of RPGs simply because there is currently almost no coverage of all the RPGs that are continuously being released.

As I said, if being japanese is "too offensive", he could then post about games such as Pyramid, Void, Black Palace and Paper Sorcerer.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
great! thanks for letting me know.

now all that's left is:

1. cover more RPGs.
2. cover less crap like MCA talking about System Shock 2, i.e. cover less non-RPGs.
3. stop discriminating between east/west.
4. feature actual literary writings full of discussion of game mechanics instead of links to interviews about someone who hopes to start a kickstarter.

please do keep me informed V_K ! I'm counting on you!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom