Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Of trenchcoats, vampire and auto-aim: Let's play Nocturne

Twinkle

Liturgist
*Weaboo alert*

Dear jap-loving motherfuckers, despite the intentionally misleading title this has nothing to do with a series of popular shitty jap grinders. Homosexuals and open-minded individuals need not apply. For everyone else I'll explain a thing or two...

Why Nocturne?

Because it's a relatively unknown game released in 1999 exclusively on the master race platform. Taking its inspiration primarily from classic horror movies it also heavily borrows from B-movies, pulp comics and then-popular TV series The X-Files. The end result is surprisingly organic thanks to great atmosphere and attention to detail. Also, you run in narrow corridors killing thingies, talk to people with a deep, gravely voice and roleplay an edgy jackass which makes it a quality RPG by elevated codexian standards, leaving it only slightly behind such peers of the genre as Mass Effect or The Witcher due to the lack of quality romance and sex cards.

Besides, the game was a technological marvel back in the day. Full dynamic lighting with soft shadows casted by level geometry, cloth physics, high-poly models, detailed, gorgeous environments, awesome particle effects, gore. But it all came for a price...

So what is this shit about?

Some backstory from the manual:

In 1902, Theodore Roosevelt created a corps of Special Agents that conducted its operations outside the public eye. It answered only to the Executive office. Unnamed and unacknowledged, Roosevelt formed the branch to investigate crimes and potentially harmful phenomena involving the supernatural.
Roosevelt had spent considerable time before and during his presidency in the Caribbean, Latin America, and other spots around the world. From his experiences, he absolutely recognized (though never publicly decreed) the existence of paranormal forces and creatures in the world. He recognized the growing presence, and possible threat, of such creatures in the United States.
Roosevelt hand-picked scholars of the arcane, outcast scientists, shaman, witches, and monster hunters from all over the U.S. and its territories. They also summoned a carefully selected list of vampires, monsters, and other less well-defined beings to serve their country. Those who came forward were granted clemency, while those who refused were branded traitors and felons, and in keeping with Roosevelt's "Big Stick" policy, were designated the first targets of the new agency, which was referred to by the President as "The Spookhouse".

That's it, bros: you work for The Man in super-secret government agency (and before you ask: no, you won't turn rogue) to battle supernatural shit for Uncle Sam's glory. But who's the protagonist?

In 1923, Spookhouse accepted (under still-classified) the enlistment of a mysterious man without identity or history. The man rose almost immediately through the loose ranks of the officially nonexistent agency. He is considered one of the most valuable Spookhouse operatives. Though certainly not superhuman, the man's prowess inspires an excess of whispered rumors. But those rumors remain in the realm of speculation.

It is rumored that long ago, a secret clan of disenfranchised priests and other occultists formed a plan to combat the evil in the world. The plan involved a child. For many years, they searched for the right child, and eventually found the one they sought. Stealing the child from his parents, and erasing any trace of his background, the brotherhood disappeared. Twenty years later, a legend arose among the tight-lipped circle of monster hunters (and monsters as well). It was said that a force of nature shaped like a man was slipping through the shadows of netherworld haunts and feeding grounds, killing fiends of all types. He was reputed to be unstoppable, silent, and utterly efficient, a new predator of predators.

It is never spoken of, especially within earshot of the Stranger, but Spookhouse believes that he is this legendary monster hunter. He rose quickly through the ranks of the organization, and no one questions his abilities. No one knows where he came from, or what his real name is, nor do they know what he truly lives for. But for now, he's content to kill monsters with them, and he is very, very good at it. Unflappable, and unmovable, the Stranger is expressionless and stoic. His deep, rough voice is quiet and reserved, and he speaks only when necessary.

So the player assumes direct control of the Stranger, the most hardcore and edgy mofo among Spookhouse operatives. Thankfully, the game never explores his "special" roots and is focused on battling villains rather than emo crap about inner demons and prophecies. He doesn't have any special abilities unlike the other Spookhouse agents. His strength lies in the pocket dimension he carries under his coat. There is no other explanation on how he can carry so much shit on him. Full arsenal of weapons including some high-tech toyz? Check. Ammo counted in hundreds? Check. Dozens of healing bags? Check. Leet auto-aiming skillz with dual pistols? Check. His the most distinctive feature, however, is the attitude. Being a true white man he despises working together with non-human scum, and is reluctant of accepting their help. Some of the later events may shatter his black and white worldview... or maybe not.

Wow bro you make this game sound cool. Can you give me a torrent link?

Stop right there, you criminal scum! There is a reason behind me LPing it. Much akin to Br0xor's excellent inAnity LP this game is better digested by watching it rather than playing it. Why? Guess the worst enemy in the game. If you answer CAMERA1111111 you are fucking RIGHT, bro! Like AitD, RE etc. it uses fixed camera angles to keep the cool graphical shit rolling. Sudden dramatic switches as you move through the levels can quickly disorient you. The problem becomes much worse when you are engaged in combat. Try to run away and you may lose the baddie from your view, get stuck in some wall and be raped by some unseen enemy. It's doesn't help that the Stranger rotates too slowly and can't properly strafe/dodge. To offset this the game features auto-aiming and you can easily shoot stuff that you can't even see! Which is pretty fucking shameful as the game models locational damage on monsters with great detail, letting you, for example, shoot a zombie's arm of leg off, or kill it instantly with a well-placed headshot. You can opt for manual aiming with a mouse, but with constantly shifting camera and stunlock effect of some monster attacks it puts you into too much of a disadvantage. Either you use cheat aiming and reduce combat to simply bashing spacebar or fuck yourself up with no middle ground. Considering that combat is an integral, unavoidable part of the game it can be a major deal-breaker. Also, the game features several rage-inducing platforming sections with worst camera angles making them an exercise in frustration and rage. Not to mention some poor design choices like infinitely respawning enemies with tommyguns in some areas.

The game is divided into four acts, each boasting a unique setting and presenting a self-contained story. I'll do them in a chronological order.

With all the shit set straight let's start with the game proper. It all began when Stranger descended into the basement...

ACT 1 - DARK REIGN OF THE VAMPIRE KING

no01-01.jpg

face-colonel.jpg
Stranger, thank you for coming in on short notice.

The colonel leads Stranger to a nearly empty office where a lonely secretary sits.

no01-02.jpg

no01-03.jpg

face-secretary.jpg
Who will protect the world from darkness?

face-colonel.jpg
We will.

She pushes a secret switch and a panel in the wall slides open.

no01-04.jpg

Stranger follows the colonel to the elevator.

no01-05.jpg

no01-06.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
A partner? Who?

face-colonel.jpg
Svetlana Lupescu. I know you don't really like her, Stranger, but -

face-stranger.jpg
I don't *like* anyone. I hate monsters.

no01-07.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Half is too much.

face-colonel.jpg
But it's that half of her that makes her so ideal for this assignment.

no01-08.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
If she crosses me, she dies.

face-colonel.jpg
Sighs I'm sure she feels the same about you.

Stranger and the colonel enter the briefing room.

no01-09.jpg

Meet Rayne Svetlana. Since Nocturne failed to make enough shekels its developers Terminal Reality decided to move franchise into different direction. They ditched Spookhouse and Stranger but kept the vampire theme and expanded upon it. In fact Bloodrayne's last chapter takes place in the same castle as desipted in Nocturne's Act 1. Though despite the ridiculous outfit with wristblades Svetlana possesses warmer and more reserved personality devoid of feminatrix vibe.

The colonel turns lights off and starts the briefing.

no01-10.jpg

face-colonel.jpg
Have either of you ever heard of the Yathfoe-Gyoule stone?

face-svetlana.jpg
The Yathgy?

face-colonel.jpg
Then you've heard of it. I suspected you might.

face-svetlana.jpg
Only through legend. It's the "Holy Grail" of the vampire world. The vampire who wields it is said to be immune to those things that would kill any other vampire. He can walk anywhere, even in sunlight, and strike down man or beast with a thought.

face-colonel.jpg
Yes, those are the legends. Some even suggest that the stone is the petrified heart of an ancient vampire. But legends aside, we think we've tracked down the artifact.

face-svetlana.jpg
I always thought that it was just as much a myth as the Holy Grail.

face-stranger.jpg
What makes you think the Grail is a myth?

face-colonel.jpg
Yes, well, we think we might have found the Yathfoe-Gyuole stone. Our intelligence suggests that a castle in Germany by the name of Gaustadt was the last known location of the artifact.

no01-11.jpg

face-colonel.jpg
Whether the stone is there or not, something is drawing the supernatural to that mountain.

face-stranger.jpg
This is beginning to sound like a research assignment.

face-colonel.jpg
It's far more important than that. Your mission is to retrieve the artifact. We've surveyed the region as best we can. Reports that have trickled out over the past hundred years indicate that the journey itself to the castle will be treacherous.

face-svetlana.jpg
Why is it so important to retrieve this stone? No one here can utilize it's full potential. I suspect that not even I would benefit from it's powers since my half-human blood gives me many of the benefits this stone is rumored to bestow.

face-colonel.jpg
As you know, our trophy hall is filled with weapons and artifacts of great power that would allow an individual to rule the world, should he wield them properly. By keeping them here under lock and key, we can ensure that they never fall into the wrong hands.

face-stranger.jpg
Why not simply destroy them?

face-colonel.jpg
Some cannot be destroyed. We've tried. Others may prove...useful to us in the future. In the even of another Great War, we have weapons that would guarantee our victory against any odds. Returning to business, we've done some preliminary reconnaissance. Our operatives couldn't penetrate very deeply into the foothills. The entire area is crawling with werewolves.

face-svetlana.jpg
I thought you killed all the werewolves in Germany.

face-stranger.jpg
Hmm.

face-colonel.jpg
We tried to find relatives of anyone from the Gaustadt region. We couldn't find one person with any connection to the area. We do know that small villages in the area were inhabited as late as the 1850's, but since then, no one has had any first-hand contact with anyone from that region. All the information you need is on your desks, and your travel arrangements have been made. Good luck, and be careful.

face-svetlana.jpg
Meet me at the elevator when you're ready to leave, Stranger.

Time to grab some gear before we start the mission. It can be obtained in Doc Hollyday's lab, a brilliant scientist who serves as Spookhouse's lead researcher and gimmick inventor.

no01-11.jpg

no01-12.jpg

Bitch!

no01-13.jpg

Well, fuck you, game, proper Doc Hollyday was no pussy!

no01-14.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
I have to leave on a mission soon.

face-dochollyday.jpg
I see. And you want to know if I have any goodies for you. What's the mission?

face-stranger.jpg
Werewolves and Vampires.

face-dochollyday.jpg
Vampires? Svetlana just returned from her last mission; I don't suppose she's going on this mission with you, is she?

face-stranger.jpg
Yes.

face-dochollyday.jpg
Interesting. Well, I've got the standard aqua vampira that Hamilton Killian helped develop. "Better than holy water," he always said. And I have a new item that I just finished. I haven't had time to field-test it yet. Basically, it produces artificial sunlight. It takes a while to charge up, but when it does, it ought to fry any vampire and, at the very least, temporarily blind anything else.

face-dochollyday.jpg
You'd better not accidentally shoot a team member with it. Especially Svetlana. to herself Hmm... I wonder if this machine will even have an effect on a dhampir? Either way, it might not be a good idea to use this if you and Svetlana are going to be in close proximity during the mission.

no01-15.jpg

face-dochollyday.jpg
It's the Charged Radiance Emitter, or, more colorfuly, "The Sun of God".

face-stranger.jpg
Nice. Anything else?

no01-16.jpg

face-dochollyday.jpg
Werewolves, huh? Where did you say you were going?

face-stranger.jpg
Germany.

face-dochollyday.jpg
I thought you killed all -

Stranger gets angry.

face-stranger.jpg
What else do you have?

face-dochollyday.jpg
Sorry, Stranger, just the standard silver bullets. I've been very busy. You're lucky I was able to finish "The Sun" before your mission.

Before leaving Stranger exchanges a few words with another Spookhouse researcher Hiram Mottra, a jew and a coward.

no01-17.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Cut the crap, Hiram. I've known you long enough to know you can't read minds.

face-mottra.jpg
Technically, that is true, but you know I can sense intense feelings. And you, my dear fellow, have the most intense aura I've ever encountered.

face-mottra.jpg
It's obvious you have a new mission that you're not looking forward to, though I can't imagine what objection you could have against any mission.

face-stranger.jpg
The Colonel assigned Svetlana as my partner.

face-mottra.jpg
Oh.

no01-18.jpg

So the Stranger enters the elevator and the action cuts forward to Germany, where he and Svetlana pass through a small cemetery.

no01-19.jpg

Suddenly, a man emerges from a grave. Stranger readies his fearsome dual pistols

face-stranger.jpg
Watch out!

no01-20.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
[Perception] Are you crazy? He just climbed out of a grave.

no01-21.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Who are you?

face-tormah.jpg
Sentinels! No! They're everywhere!

face-svetlana.jpg
Sentinels? What are these Sentinels?

face-tormah.jpg
Huge, monstrous things! Hideous things that will devour you whole!

face-stranger.jpg
Come on, Svetlana. He's crazy.

Old man laughs hysterically.

face-tormah.jpg
Ha, ha, ha! I'm crazy? You've come here of your own free will? You're crazy! You'll never escape.

face-stranger.jpg
You obviously escaped.

face-tormah.jpg
Yes. But I'm not crazy. I'm a genius! I hid in a coffin with my friend's corpse, so when they buried him out here, I could escape!

Startled by suspicious noise he flees away.

face-tormah.jpg
They've found me!

face-stranger.jpg
What was that all about?

face-svetlana.jpg
I'm not sure. He was totally mad. But one thing I am sure of: there are vampires here. I can smell them. Did you see the bite marks on his neck?

face-stranger.jpg
Yes.

Let's explore a bit and follow madman's footsteps.

no01-22.jpg

Svetlana slays a hapless zombie before Stranger could even draw his weapons.

no01-23.jpg

This key will be useful. Also, there a few hundred bullets in the case.

no01-24.jpg

Think that Battleturd 3 had blinding lens flare effects perfected? Ha! It should be noted that in Nocturne's case it is actually appropriate given how dark the game is.

no01-25.jpg

We can't open town's gate directly. There must be another way to get in.

no01-26.jpg

To the crypt at the cemetery.

no01-27.jpg

no01-28.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Let's go.

Suddenly, she drops on her knees, unable to move.

no01-29.jpg

face-svetlana.jpg
I can't go in! We're nearing holy ground.

face-stranger.jpg
We just tromped through an entire graveyard, why stop now?

face-svetlana.jpg
That little graveyard was never consecrated. It's not holy. But the ground here burns my skin. To go any further would be suicide.

What's wrong, woman? Can't handle the heat? :smug:

face-stranger.jpg
Fine. I'll go on alone.

face-svetlana.jpg
I'll find another way in.

face-stranger.jpg
Um-hmm.

face-svetlana.jpg
Go ahead and enter the village through the crypt. Try to open the front gate. In the meantime, I'll look for another way in.

Passing through the crypt the Stranger emerges in an abandoned church.

no01-30.jpg

Stranger leaves the church... and faces a huge, goddamn flying bat!

no01-31.jpg

no01-32.jpg

It takes a few clips to put these things down. Better let the girl in and force her to do all the dirty work.

Stranger open the gate from within.

no01-33.jpg

no01-34.jpg

no01-35.jpg

face-svetlana.jpg
What in the world is that thing? I've never seen anything like it. Whoever summoned this beast must be very powerful.

face-stranger.jpg
There might be others like it.

face-svetlana.jpg
Did you find any villagers?

face-stranger.jpg
Not one. They're either dead or hiding.

face-svetlana.jpg
With monsters like this roaming the streets, I can't blame them.

Moar bats

no01-36.jpg

no01-37.jpg

Let's explore the ramparts and get a vantage point on monsters.

no01-38.jpg

But due to "cinematic" camera angles it is a pointless activity. We step down.

no01-39.jpg

no01-40.jpg

Stranger decides to test his new anti-vampire super-weapon. It works as advertized: one shot, one kill.

no01-41.jpg

no01-42.jpg

Damn, we can't even leave this shithole.

no01-43.jpg

Continuing "seek and destroy."

no01-44.jpg

This huge building looks like a town hall. Too bad the door can't be opened.

no01-45.jpg

Stranger tries to burn a zombie with God Ray, but it doesn't work on them.

no01-46.jpg

Meanwhile our regenerating next-gen companion minces the remaining opposition.

no01-47.jpg

no01-48.jpg

Stranger enters a small pub. Sadly, there is nothing here worth drinking. A healing bag, on the other hand, may come in handy.

no01-49.jpg

no01-50.jpg

Svetlana cuts the last poor zombie in half and town hall doors open from the inside.

no01-51.jpg

no01-52.jpg

no01-53.jpg

face-mayor.jpg
Are you friend or foe?

face-svetlana.jpg
We are not your enemy.

face-mayor.jpg
Well then, greetings. Welcome to the fair village of Falkenburg, strangers. I am the village Mayor. What might I call you?

face-svetlana.jpg
I am Svetlana Lupescu.

face-stranger.jpg
"Stranger" is fine.

face-mayor.jpg
Very well. I have no idea how you found our little village; it matters not, I suppose. You should return now the way you came. You are both in terrible danger.

face-svetlana.jpg
What? You mean these creatures? We can handle ourselves.

face-mayor.jpg
But don't you see? It is only a matter of time before an army of those things is sent to replace those you have slain. Please leave. It will benefit no one for two more people to suffer as our town suffers.

face-stranger.jpg
We didn't come this far to be dissuaded by one man's opinion. Tell us what you know, and keep it brief. You can worry about our safety later.

face-mayor.jpg
A great evil has befallen us. You've seen some signs of that evil here. The oppression from Castle Gaustadt has become more and more severe since we settled in this valley after the bloody reign of Andronicus Comnenus.

face-svetlana.jpg
Andronicus? Andronicus ruled in the twelfth century.

face-mayor.jpg
Impressive. You know our history well. Our people have been here a long time, and each year our village falls deeper into ruin. I fear we've only a few years left. And because of your actions today, we might have even less time. Count Voicu's wrath will descend upon this innocent town when he learns his Sentinels have been slain.

face-stranger.jpg
Count Voicu?

face-mayor.jpg
He is the master of Castle Gaustadt, beyond the forest on the mountain that overlooks this valley.

face-svetlana.jpg
Well us about this Count. He's not a normal man, is he?

face-mayor.jpg
What do you mean?

face-svetlana.jpg
He's a vampire, is he not?

face-mayor.jpg
Well, yes. That is rumoured to be so. Why would you suspect such a thing?

:what:

face-svetlana.jpg
I can smell it. And there were bite marks on a man outside this village.

face-mayor.jpg
Man? What man?

face-svetlana.jpg
He didn't tell us his name. He was babbling, warning us about the sentinels.

face-mayor.jpg
Did he say anything else?

face-stranger.jpg
That's all.

face-mayor.jpg
How did he escape? The sentinels don't let us wander from town.

face-svetlana.jpg
Apparently he hid in a coffin with a corpse and was buried outside of town.

face-mayor.jpg
How clever. Well, at least one person has escaped the Count's iron grip. If that madman truly is a vampire, think of the horrors he must be inflicting upon our children.

face-svetlana.jpg
Your children?

face-mayor.jpg
Over the past year, the Count has taken all of our daughters, for what vile purpose we can only guess. We tried to fight back, but his sentinels are too many and too strong.

face-svetlana.jpg
Now that the Sentinels are gone, we recommend that you flee the city.

face-mayor.jpg
Never! This is our home. We may die defending it, but we will not run like cowards! We are a proud people, and if we leave, our daughters will surely die.

face-mayor.jpg
I will not ask you to involve yourselves in this horror, but it's obvious that you are capable warriors. If you offer your help, we will accept it. But we will not leave this town.

face-svetlana.jpg
We'll discuss this matter with Count Voicu. If we can't reason with him...

face-stranger.jpg
We will kill him.

face-mayor.jpg
Our humble village appreciates your help. I pray - for the sake of our town and our children - that you are successful.

Except there is something off with the old man's story. He didn't sound all that desperate, more like annoyed and willing to send the Stranger away as soon as possible.

There is another townsman nearby. Maybe he'll explain more of this mystary.

no01-54.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
[Intimidate] Tell us what you know about Count Voicu and Castle Gaustadt.

Townsman: I know nothing.

face-svetlana.jpg
Stranger, you cannot interrogate these people like criminals. You're scaring them even more.

face-svetlana.jpg
I swear, you have the social skills of Atilla the Hun!

I put them all in small arms, you stupid!

face-svetlana.jpg
Why don't you let me do the talking.

face-svetlana.jpg
Do you know anything that might help?

Townsman: Watch out for wolves. The forest north of here is teeming witht hem. Some people say that they're actually werewolves.

No problemo, I'll feed them with my silver bullets.

Townsman: There was a man who lived in the forest long ago. He might still be there. He was a trapper named Yuri. He's probably the only man who could survive out there.

Now we can leave this forsaken place. Onwards to the forest.

no01-56.jpg

no01-57.jpg

no01-58.jpg

Black

Arcane
I remember watching my butt-buddy play it a long time ago, I even recalled it was black and white, but I guess it's just dark.
And what's with that contrast, Stranger is a douchebag while Ĺšmietana is way more sensible even though she's impure.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Townsman: There was a man who lived in the forest long ago. He might still be there. He was a trapper named Yuri. He's probably the only man who could survive out there.

Yuri_red_alert.jpg

Ĺšmietana

:thumbsup:

Anyway, :bro: , really nice game, and while I also remember raging at the camera, it was pretty much a given in survival horrors of this time, so I knew what to expect from the start. Was a long time ago when I finished it, but I remember it being very cool (I also have cloudy memories of raging non-stop in the last level. I think it was some deathtrap abandoned house with those PLATFORMING SEQUENCES that were a total pain in the butt?)

Also, the same setting appears in the Blair Witch Project: Rustin Parr game, another really good one, but this time doc Holliday is the protagonist. Stranger makes an appearance by the end, though.

spekkio

Arcane
Dear jap-loving motherfuckers, despite the intentionally misleading title this has nothing to do with a series of popular shitty jap grinders.
You really think that these 'jap-loving motherfuckers' don't know what Nocturne PC is? Kids these days...

:roll:

2. You can safely go from 1024x768 to 800x600 or 640x480 even - graphics are shit anyway.

dextermorgan

Arcane
while I also remember raging at the camera, it was pretty much a given in survival horrors of this time, so I knew what to expect from the start
IIRC, unlike RE and its ilk this this game was far more arcadey/actioney with more and faster enemies, and that made dealing with the camera a much harder chore for me (I finished RE 1-2-3 with nowhere near as much rage).

Twinkle

Liturgist
Seems I can't even edit thread title. What's the hell with this next-gen popamole forum engine? I bet that DU wants to port it to consoles, and sell essential features to maximize DLC revenue. :rpgcodex:

Also, spekkio-bro, if the lack of high-res spiky hair bothers you this much Katawa Shoujo thread is always floating nearby (T_T)

ACT 1, PART 2 - YURI'S REVENGE

The rain starts falling and the operatives hear menacing growlings of thunder in the background.

nolp02-01.jpg

They stumble upon a wrecked wagon and dead horse's carcass.

nolp02-02.jpg

nolp02-03.jpg

face-svetlana.jpg
Look at this horse. Flesh torn from shattered bones.

She feels the sympathy to Andyman's deceased distant cousin. A sentiment that Stranger will never share.

Deadly shadows are flinching around.

nolp02-04.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Why don't they attack?

face-svetlana.jpg
They're toying with us. Surrounding us. They will attack soon enough.

They discover a small hut lit by fireplace from within.

nolp02-05.jpg

face-svetlana.jpg
Yuri! We've come from Village Falkenburg. We're traveling to Castle Gaustadt.

No answer.

face-svetlana.jpg
[Wisdom] I don't think anyone's home. The smell of life is fresh here. Someone was here recently, but he's gone now.

Maybe there's some cool shit to plunder here? Nah, it's empty.

nolp02-06.jpg

As they leave the hut crows encircle the Stranger, croaking relentlessly. Unnerving, but they aren't worthy of wasting ammunition on them.

nolp02-07.jpg

Stranger follows the path that leads to a working windmill.

nolp02-08.jpg

nolp02-09.jpg

nolp02-10.jpg

nolp02-11.jpg

face-svetlana.jpg
Yuri! We've come from Village Falkenburg. We're traveling to Castle Gaustadt.

face-yuri.jpg
Please come in. These woods are dangerous. Traveling to Castle Gaustadt? You choose a poor place to visit. Count Voicu does not welcome guests.

face-svetlana.jpg
We've come to stop Count Voicu.

face-stranger.jpg
Kill him, if necessary.

face-yuri.jpg
Then my prayers are with you. My mastery is over the forest. If I thought I stood a chance of beating him, I would have traveled to the castle years ago and killed the Count myself. I'm safe from him here. He avoids the forest and the werewolves that live here.

face-yuri.jpg
In an ironic way, I owe those beasts my life.

nolp02-12.jpg

Hmmm. :M

face-yuri.jpg
When we first fell under Voicu's thumb, a troop of our bravest men volunteered to wear the skin of the wolf and take to the forest to protect us from the Count. Eventually, he learned to make the winged ones that can pass over the forest instead of going through it. The manwolves grew restless, hungry.

face-yuri.jpg
After centuries of walking as beasts, our protectors forsook their allegiance to us and grew feral. Our once-warriors began to stalk us. They became as great a threat to use as Voicu himself. Now, only I survive. Those of my people not devoured by the wolves were taken by the vampires.

face-yuri.jpg
Take whatever traps and medicines you think you can use. The traps can be used repeatedly. They are not lethal, but they can slow down the fiercest of beasts. Beware the traps I've hidden throughout these woods. Some are very lethal, and they do not discriminate between man and beast.

nolp02-13.jpg

No reason no decline his generous offer. Assload of bullets, medical bags, woodcutter axe, crossbow with blessed bolts, traps - we have everything we need to start full-fledged furry genocide simulation.

The operatives delve deeper into the forest. This part is maze-like and less linear than the majority of the game. In fact it's entirely possible to miss Yuri and powerups altogether.

nolp02-14.jpg

One of the traps he mentioned. Definitely, very effective.

nolp02-15.jpg

Ouch!

nolp02-16.jpg

Here they come! Constant behind-the-back ambushes, superior speed and tough skin, nearly impenetrable to ordinary bullets, rank werewolves among the toughest opponents in the game.

nolp02-17.jpg

Half-vampire's assistance is invaluable. In addition to decent damage output she keeps them occupied giving the Stranger enough breathing room to evade close combat.

nolp02-18.jpg

For a next encounter Stranger sets up Yuri's traps.

nolp02-19.jpg

Caught your tail, bitch!

nolp02-20.jpg

Tougher dark-skinned specimen attack next putting the Stranger very close to grave.

nolp02-21.jpg

Going deeper and deeper. Werewolves' Resistance ramps up.

nolp02-22.jpg

nolp02-23.jpg

Meanwhile the Stranger tests Holliday's new toy - some sort of night vision amplification device. Stylish, but completely useless.

nolp02-24.jpg

nolp02-25.jpg

Wolverines!

nolp02-26.jpg

Akimbo gun wielding > brute melee force.

nolp02-27.jpg

nolp02-28.jpg

nolp02-29.jpg

We discover another tattered, abandoned house.

nolp02-30.jpg

Bones lying on the floor. Its owners are long dead.

nolp02-31.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
There's a note here.

face-svetlana.jpg
"Be wary traveler. A great evil breeds in this forest. Wife and I sipped of a final option so we never are consumed by the evil. Leave now while your ability remains." Judging by their appearance and the absence of odor, I would say these people died several decades ago.

nolp02-32.jpg

Predictably, it's a trap, but this sort of trap works both ways. Narrow doorway means that furries stand no chance to touch Stranger's manmeat.

nolp02-33.jpg

OK, the bridge that leads to the castle. Some planks are color-coded: "Don't step here, retard!".

nolp02-34.jpg

face-svetlana.jpg
This bridge doesn't look too safe. I think we should try to find another way across.

Pretty sensible. They turn left and explore along the edge of the cliff until they find a place where chasm is relatively narrow.

nolp02-35.jpg

nolp02-36.jpg

face-svetlana.jpg
Well, I can make that jump, but I doubt you can. Looks like you'll have to try your luck with the bridge. I'll see you on the other side.

One dramatic Shepard-jump and the Stranger is left alone in the wood.

nolp02-37.jpg

nolp02-38.jpg

Meanwhile he has to deal with two werewolves without any external help.

nolp02-39.jpg

nolp02-40.jpg

A jumping sequence with diagonal camera angle. What kind of retard could come up with that?

nolp02-41.jpg

nolp02-42.jpg

nolp02-43.jpg

Derp.

nolp02-44.jpg

Phew. Didn't even have to to reload.

Svetlana rejoins the Stranger and they continue their journey to the castle of the damned.

nolp02-45.jpg

nolp02-46.jpg

Cassidy

Arcane
Many will disagree, but I believe that horror themed games benefit a lot from a first person perspective.

Anyway, good for your mental health this time you're LPing a non shit game, Twinkle.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Cassidy said:
LPing a non shit game

Well, Nocturne has a fair share of derpy stuff, in fact the entire Act 3 is wtf, but at least Terminal Reality tried.

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Cool stuff. So the Stranger drank from the grail, huh

Most likely from the Chalice of Butthurt, judging by his attitude.

ACT 1, PART 3 - CASTLE GAUSTADT 3D

Finally, they arrive.

nolp03-01.jpg

nolp03-02.jpg

face-svetlana.jpg
Be careful, Stranger.

Mmm, exploiting clichés to the max. It won't end well.

nolp03-03.jpg

Critical hit!

nolp03-04.jpg

Mangled naked female corpses, this is going to be interesting.

Stranger takes the stairs up front only to discover two zombies in the attic.

nolp03-05.jpg

nolp03-06.jpg

And here are the things that chewed poor girl.

nolp03-07.jpg

And here the game introduces new kind of enemy - the gargoyles. They are very flimsy, falling apart after 2-3 shots but they have one really annoying trait - if faced directly they turn into solid stone, becoming completely invulnerable.

Castle, here I come.

nolp03-08.jpg

But cleansing the outskirts is of higher priority for now. This is probably the path that Svetlana followed. No use for Stranger as his jumping skills are way behind.

nolp03-09.jpg

More zombies are encountered. Their behavior in Nocturne is somewhat more interesting compared to similar games. When heavily wounded they try to run away (yes, they can run) and regenerate damage.

nolp03-10.jpg

nolp03-11.jpg

nolp03-12.jpg

He comes under surprise attack by some weird hybrid of werewolf and bat. Their leaping attacks make them very annoying foes.

nolp03-13.jpg

Push this statue into the pedestal.

nolp03-14.jpg

nolp03-15.jpg

I wonder why villains leave tools of their destruction lying nearby. Also, picking the holy relic up opened some grate inside the castle.

nolp03-16.jpg

Going inside.

nolp03-17.jpg

nolp03-18.jpg

nolp03-19.jpg

Heh, the count certainly didn't shun from entertaining himself. Sun ray instantly takes care of undead brides.

nolp03-20.jpg

Shooting stakes at their chests is very effective too.

nolp03-21.jpg

Newer and stronger vampire types appear. These guys can turn into mist and launch surprise attacks from behind, but they share the same weaknesses with their less cunning brethren.

nolp03-22.jpg

nolp03-23.jpg

A little jumping exercise leads Stranger into Count's library.

nolp03-23.jpg

nolp03-25.jpg

nolp03-26.jpg

This pedestal marks something important but for now it is of no use.

nolp03-27.jpg

Who's this guy on the painting?

nolp03-28.jpg

Stranger quits the library and ends up being in the throne room filled with zombies. It should be noted that even when downed their limbs continue twitching and there is a fair chance they'll rise again. Like in Quake, they only way to guarantee their final death is fragging them.

nolp03-29.jpg

nolp03-30.jpg

Huh, are vampires that stupid to leave so much lethal stuff lying around waiting until some self-proclaimed crusader will put it to use?

nolp03-31.jpg

There is nowhere to go but up

nolp03-32.jpg

nolp03-33.jpg

nolp03-34.jpg

nolp03-35.jpg

Key to the belltower is essential.

nolp03-36.jpg

nolp03-37.jpg

nolp03-38.jpg

Stranger continues his ascension amidst the treacherous mist.

nolp03-39.jpg

Uh, nice to meet you again.

nolp03-40.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Svetlana! Do you need any help?

face-svetlana.jpg
I don't need any help. You're the one who needs help.

What?

She performs uncanny jump, vanishing from Stranger's sight in a matter of seconds.

nolp03-41.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
What the hell? Crazy bitch!

Weird creepy midget sneaks upon Stranger's back.

nolp03-42.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Who the hell are you?

face-servant.jpg
To serve my master, I need no name.

face-stranger.jpg
What do you know about her?

face-servant.jpg
The dhampir? She's been changed like all the others.

face-stranger.jpg
How did you know she was half-vampire?

face-servant.jpg
The Count has taken particular interest in her ever since the two of you arrived. Her special abilities will be of great use to him.

face-stranger.jpg
There's no way she would ever serve a man like the Count.

face-servant.jpg
Believe me. She is not the woman you brought here. When the Count takes a woman as his bride, she changes. She belongs to him now.

face-stranger.jpg
No way. She leaves with me.

face-servant.jpg
As long as the Count lives, none of his brides will leave. With you or anyone else.

face-stranger.jpg
Very well, then.

face-servant.jpg
Don't be a fool. You can't kill him. He's immortal.

face-stranger.jpg
If you only knew how many immortal creatures I've killed.

face-servant.jpg
Someone comes!

The servant vanishes in a moment leaving Stranger under attack by a sentinel.

nolp03-43.jpg

Stranger opens the bellltower. It turns out to be a resting for a at least a dozen of vampires. Like bats they cling to the ceiling. Light won't disturb them, but any hostile attempts will. Better leave them alone.

nolp03-44.jpg

Ah, yes, now we have to return to the library.

nolp03-45.jpg

nolp03-46.jpg

This part of the castle gives a strong Silent Hill vibe.

nolp03-47.jpg

Oppressively dark, it forces Stranger to rely on flashlight and muzzle flashes to be aware of his surroundings.

nolp03-48.jpg

nolp03-49.jpg

nolp03-50.jpg

The Count had a full harem at his disposal. Vampire brides in nearly transparent gowns seductively whispering "stay with ussss", turning into gray mist at any sign of hostility. Confronting them is an incredibly INTENSE experience. However, I know a way to deal with pesky females...

nolp03-51.jpg

...holy penetration in the name of our Lord and Saviour :yeah:

nolp03-52.jpg

nolp03-53.jpg

nolp03-54.jpg

Ugh, so much blood. Count has kept his personal whores well-fed, it seems.

nolp03-55.jpg

Next room and the flying thing grabs the Stranger, trying to drop him into abyss. At the last moment Stranger escapes and kills the beast.

nolp03-56.jpg

nolp03-57.jpg

Portraits hanging on the walls here seem to be alive, their eyes following Stranger's every movement. Or maybe this shit got to me and I'm imagining things already. :M

nolp03-58.jpg

Finally, Stranger leaves this sick section. Regular zombies seem almost welcoming and cute in comparison.

nolp03-59.jpg

Backtracking all the way to the library Stranger puts that special book onto a book stand.

nolp03-60.jpg

The huge painting falls, revealing a secret entrance to Count's study.

nolp03-61.jpg

nolp03-62.jpg

He's absent, but the key to the dungeon lying on a table points at his possible whereabouts.

nolp03-63.jpg

Hidden switch in his study leads to another dark room full of sleeping vampires. This time I won't chicken out.

nolp03-64.jpg

nolp03-65.jpg

nolp03-66.jpg

nolp03-67.jpg

Stranger descends to the underground.

nolp03-68.jpg

nolp03-69.jpg

nolp03-70.jpg

The Count and his new bride, they won't hide from him.

nolp03-71.jpg

nolp03-72.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
...holy penetration in the name of our Lord and Saviour :yeah:

:lol:

nolp03-69.jpg

I always found it lulzy how Stranger's cloak would start doing... this each time he'd climb anything. Goddamn Batman is what he is.

Twinkle

Liturgist
ACT 1, PART 4 - DUNGEON CRAWL

Gentlemen, we have a sewer level, where an overwhelming smell of creativity will knock your socks off.

nolp04-01.jpg

Dude, your wings won't do you much good - ceiling is not that high.

nolp04-02.jpg

nolp04-03.jpg

So pwetty. Real-time caustic reflections in 1999. UE3, suck it down.

nolp04-04.jpg

Bats just follow Stranger, however, without any seemingly hostile intention. I wonder what that means.

nolp04-05.jpg

Now I understand why videogame monsters are both aggressive and suicidal: they can't get over losing THEIR COCKS. I would be mad too if I couldn't see my own junk. :(

nolp04-06.jpg

nolp04-07.jpg

Some of the grow boobs to compensate.

nolp04-08.jpg

nolp04-09.jpg

Yay, the key. Let's open something with it.

nolp04-10.jpg

nolp04-11.jpg

Hey, bro, I know you are bored down here, but don't try to hug me on the first date. :M

nolp04-12.jpg

Stranger kills this ghoul and the ceiling slides down. He barely makes it our and grabs another key.

nolp04-13.jpg

So let's take an elevator and see what's there.

nolp04-14.jpg

nolp04-15.jpg

nolp04-16.jpg

nolp04-17.jpg

Hidden switch raises a few platforms in that pretty-lit room.

nolp04-18.jpg

nolp04-19.jpg

nolp04-20.jpg

nolp04-21.jpg

It's dark here.

nolp04-22.jpg

Swinging axes... WTF it's supposed to be Germany, not Persia!

nolp04-23.jpg

Lol, monster, yourea dumb.

nolp04-24.jpg

I don't want to go in there. I'll try another door, to the left.

nolp04-25.jpg

nolp04-26.jpg

Classy.

nolp04-27.jpg

Hmm, too bad, it seems a similar stone is need to be placed here in order to get to the main crypt.

nolp04-28.jpg

It is impossible to avoid stepping into traps in Nocturne.

nolp04-29.jpg

nolp04-30.jpg

Wow, swinging axes and jumping sequence turned into a complete clusterfuck thanks to tragically impractical camera angles. The game certainly doesn't pull any punches for no-skill larpers who are there for a story. :rpgcodex:

nolp04-31.jpg

nolp04-32.jpg

NO!

nolp04-33.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaA!!!!!

face-batman.jpg
Stop yelling, moron! Give me a hand!

face-stranger.jpg
Oh, thanks for the rescue, man. Who are you?

face-batman.jpg
I need to tell you one thing, friend.

face-batman.jpg
You are stuck in 1999. That's not how we roll now.

face-stranger.jpg
Are you serious?

face-batman.jpg
Wandering in the dark aimlessly without a compass to guide you. Relying on medical supplies to heal yourself. Not even knowing what button to press when you see something potentially awesome.

face-batman.jpg
It's like a fucking STONE AGE.

face-batman.jpg
Don't give up. I'll watch over your progress and intervene whenever necessary.

face-batman.jpg
Whatever it takes to complete the mission.

face-stranger.jpg
My aiming is excellent as is, I don't need no further assistance from who knows what. I bet you...

nolp04-34.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
Strange. I am standing here on a platform, yet I distinctively remember my fall. No time to ponder on it!

Hi, girls! It's nice to see I'm popular and all, but I have no time for courting & copulation. RPGs are about KOMBAT, bitches, do you get it???

nolp04-35.jpg

nolp04-36.jpg

Stranger grabs the red stone and, like a trained monkey, repeats jumping sequence.

nolp04-37.jpg

nolp04-38.jpg

Sorry, wrong door.

nolp04-39.jpg

Stranger puts the stone in the cup and one of the crypt walls slides down.

nolp04-40.jpg

nolp04-41.jpg

Finally, big baddie's resting place.

nolp04-42.jpg

nolp04-43.jpg

YOUR DEATH, HAR HAR!

The count turns into a huge bat. Strangers feeds him with silver and lead from his majestic dual pistols, while attempting to dodge his sweeps, without much success, though.

nolp04-44.jpg

nolp04-45.jpg

nolp04-46.jpg

nolp04-47.jpg

With his health chipped away the count turns into his normal form. Stranger pieces his heart with a holy relic and the elder vampire violently explodes

nolp04-48.jpg

nolp04-49.jpg

nolp04-50.jpg

nolp04-51.jpg

Mission accomplished? Not yet. This key must serve some purpose.

nolp04-52.jpg

The door to count's inner sanctum is open.

nolp04-53.jpg

Ladies, NO!

nolp04-54.jpg

nolp04-55.jpg

nolp04-56.jpg

Stop molesting me

nolp04-57.jpg

Eat some stake, you ugly, skinny bitches.

nolp04-58.jpg

It's atill not over yet. Stranger hears some girl sobbing. She propably hides behind these tapestries.

nolp04-59.jpg

nolp04-60.jpg

nolp04-61.jpg

"Anything", you say? :smug:

face-stranger.jpg
[Renegade] Did you taste the Count's blood?

face-bride.jpg
I don't know.

face-stranger.jpg
[Renegade] Did you taste the Count's blood?!

face-bride.jpg
I don't know what you mean!

Stranger lowers his guns

face-stranger.jpg
Very well. I won't hurt you. I'll take you back to Falkenburg.

face-bride.jpg
Falkenburg?

face-stranger.jpg
Yes, your home-

face-bride.jpg
I'm not from Falkenburg.

face-stranger.jpg
The mayor?

face-stranger.jpg
What do you know about the man in this portrait?

face-bride.jpg
I've never seen him before.

nolp04-62.jpg

Ah, you. Shouldn't you be another boss fight?

face-svetlana.jpg
Stranger! What are you doing?

face-stranger.jpg
I'm about to kill you.

face-svetlana.jpg
Are you out of your mind? How many times do I have to tell you that being half vampire doesn't make me evil?

face-stranger.jpg
[Perception] You sound like you're back to normal now.

face-svetlana.jpg
Almost. I feel like I've been kicked in the head. My ears are ringing. I had to fight off the Count's influence, and it wasn't easy.

face-svetlana.jpg
I vaguely remember talking to him, but it's all a blur. He drove his own will into my mind and controlled me like a puppet.

face-svetlana.jpg
I've never had my mind taken over like that before. He was extremely powerful.

face-stranger.jpg
Not powerful enough.

face-svetlana.jpg
It's ironic that you saved me, considering our past.

face-stranger.jpg
We have no past.

face-svetlana.jpg
Try as you might, you can't forget everything.

face-stranger.jpg
I can.

face-svetlana.jpg
If you say so. Shall we be off? It looks like we've managed to save at least one of the village's daughters.

face-svetlana.jpg
What's your name?

face-bride.jpg
Nadia.

face-svetlana.jpg
Come with us. Your parents in Falkenburg will be delighted to see you.

face-stranger.jpg
I'm not so sure about that. She's not from Falkenburg. In fact, I don't think anything the Mayor told us was the truth. Look at this portrait.

This dude's face looks kinda familiar...

nolp04-63.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
I think he has held other titles in the past.

face-svetlana.jpg
I knew it! I thought the scent of vampires was too strong in that town. I assumed that the Count and his minions had left that smell. It makes perfect sense now.

face-stranger.jpg
What makes perfect sense?

face-svetlana.jpg
The Mayor is the true lord of this castle. The Count was his son. The old vampire and his retainers must have been banished to Falkenburg. Exiled from his own kingdom and herded with werewolves.

face-svetlana.jpg
The crazy man we met outside the village wasn't escaping from just the Sentinels. He was escaping from the themselves. They are vampires, and he was meant to be their food.

face-stranger.jpg
An entire town of vampires held captive by the Count? Why didn't he just kill them all?

face-svetlana.jpg
I don't know.

A shadow materializes in the corner.

nolp04-64.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
You made a huge mistake showing yourself now that I know who you are.

face-mayor.jpg
Clever girl, this one. I thought she might have been a dhampir when she first came into the village. I thought for sure she would detect us, but she never put the clues together.

face-svetlana.jpg
So I was right? The Count was your son.

face-mayor.jpg
Yes. That insolent bastard. Now that you've killed him, my people and I can return home to this castle.

face-svetlana.jpg
Stranger, put your guns away.

face-stranger.jpg
[Truth] You know I have no sense of humor.

She steps between the Stranger and the Mayor.

face-svetlana.jpg
I'm not joking, Stranger.

face-mayor.jpg
You'd be wise to do as your friend says.

nolp04-65.jpg

face-mayor.jpg
Then you would be wise to make her one.

face-mayor.jpg
The reason my son did not kill me was because he did not know how to properly utilize the Yathgy. Until I revealed it's secret to him, he knew he could not kill me. But I would not give up that secret easily.

face-stranger.jpg
The Yathgy?

The said stone is revealed to be hidden behind another tapestry.

nolp04-66.jpg

face-mayor.jpg
My son managed to separate me from the Yathgy long enough to overpower me. I've spent the past hundred years waiting for the misused power of this stone to destroy him. Thank you for accelerating the process.

face-mayor.jpg
My followers and I have tried to reclaim the castle by force on a number of occasions. You might have seen the aftermath of those attempts littering the forest and this castle. And beyond my son's resistance, the werewolves of the forest interfered with out attempts as well. There were times when three separate forces met in those accursed woods.

Mayor turns to the Stranger.

face-mayor.jpg
You've proven yourself quite capable. If you weren't a mere human, I'd ask you to join me. As it is, I would be honored if this lady were to join my ranks.

face-svetlana.jpg
No thanks. I have other obligations.

face-mayor.jpg
A foolish choice, my dear. Now I suppose there's nothing left for me to do but kill you.

Stranger raises his guns again, but Mayor just laughs

face-mayor.jpg
But since you've helped me regain my castle and the Yathgy, I'll overlook the fact that you my minions and the brides I have taken the past millennia to collect. You may live. You are free to leave this castle. Take with you this pitiful girl-child who my son failed to make his own bride. But know that if you ever set foot in this house again, you will belong to me.

Svetlana bows

face-svetlana.jpg
Thank you, kind sir.

Derp.

face-stranger.jpg
What about the stone?

face-svetlana.jpg
The stone stays, Stranger. We leave. Now.

face-stranger.jpg
Not until our mission is complete.

face-svetlana.jpg
Stranger, you cannot see the things that I see. You must simply trust me when I say his offer to leave must be taken. His son, the Count, was a frail degenerate compared to him.

face-stranger.jpg
[Intelligence] So our mission was a failure?

face-svetlana.jpg
Not necessarily. I doubt this man will make the same mistake twice. He will not allow another to overthrow him.

face-svetlana.jpg
And whether the Yathgy is locked in Spookhouse's basement or in this Vampire's castle, we at least know where it resides.

face-stranger.jpg
But he is a bloodsucking vampire! As soon as we leave, he'll be out looking for more food and new brides. Innocent humans will have their lives torn apart.

face-svetlana.jpg
We'll deal with him when the time is right, but there's nothing the two of us can do about it, alone. Throwing ourselves at him would be suicide, so calm down...

face-svetlana.jpg
Besides, you already got to kill a really powerful vampire today, so cheer up.

:what:

nolp04-67.jpg

nolp04-68.jpg

nolp04-69.jpg

END OF ACT 1

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wandering in the dark aimlessly without a compass to guide you. Relying on medical supplies to heal yourself. Not even knowing what button to press when you see something potentially awesome.

:D

nolp04-55.jpg

Nailin' your wife :smug:

Also, the ending to chapter 1 doesn't make much sense :(

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Stranger, you cannot see the things that I see. You must simply trust me when I say his offer to leave must be taken. His son, the Count, was a frail degenerate compared to him.
You don't even know what you don't know :D

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Aye, it is pretty weaksauce an ending. Oh well.

Eh, it's still fun. Keep kicking ass, Stranger, the girl can't be around to killblock you ever time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom