Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Lets Play: Shining in the Darkness

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
No weak ass save scumming, automapping dungeon crawl is this. No sir, behold, the monblutian RPG for the hardcore elite, Shining in the Darkness:

SD0002.png

(This is in fact the title screen.)
SD0003.png

Looks like they had Snuggies back in the day too.
SD0004.png

SD0005.png

SD0006.png

SD0007.png

Note that you can't make multiple saves from one game; the 3 slots are just to facilitate multiple people playing on the same cartridge. Since, you know, game companies weren't dicks back then.
SD0008.png

There can be only one answer to such a question.
SD0009.png

It barely fit too, :lol:
SD0010.png

SD0011.png

He must be lurking our forums. He certainly looks like a deviant.
SD0012.png

SD0013.png

SD0014.png

SD0015.png

Sorry, thats not quite enough tropes, could you ladle in a few more?
SD0016.png

SD0017.png

SD0018.png

SD0019.png

Those sound like totally useful friends and not at all like useless children.
SD0020.png

Hear that? The king awaits us. SIR Codex. We must be pretty damn important huh?
SD0021.png

SD0022.png

SD0023.png

Indeed. :obviously:
SD0024.png

SD0025.png

SD0026.png

SD0027.png

Video game tropes/minute rate approaching critical mass...
SD0028.png

SD0029.png

SD0030.png

SD0031.png

SD0032.png

SD0033.png

SD0034.png

SD0035.png

SD0036.png

SD0037.png

SD0038.png

SD0039.png

What? You mean the king is actually willing to outfit someone (a single someone) with gold to equip themselves for the sake of his own daughter? How generous!
SD0040.png

200 gold pieces must clearly be enough for proper equipment. It's the princess after all, and we're the best knight available. We'll be geared at least as well as sir Barristan Tristan.
SD0041.png

SD0042.png

Behold the 3D display of a lifetime, as only the genesis can perform:
SD0043.png

SD0044.png

Technically I missed a few frames, but I'm sure you were sufficiently amazed by those two.
SD0045.png

Well, to the arsenal!
SD0046.png

SD0047.png

SD0048.png

SD0049.png

So we were given precisely enough gold to buy a sword, (a short sword at that) and nothing more. That's a bit stingy. What else does he have anyways?
SD0050.png

SD0051.png

Geez, looks like our pay was missing about 2 digits off what we actually needed. We should check and see what we already have before buying anything though. Would be stupid to buy a sword if we already have one, right?
SD0052.png

SD0053.png

SD0054.png

With an IQ of 8, I suppose that explains why we can't speak and aren't trusted with enough money to buy a decent set of clothes, let alone armor and weapons.
SD0055.png

So we're entirely lacking a shield and helm. Lets see what stats our current equipment provide compared to our innate stats:
SD0056.png

The knife is kinda shitty. 5 attack on top of 18.
SD0057.png

The robe on the other hand, is tripling our defense. Lets see what armor is for sale. Maybe we can get that instead.
SD0058.png

SD0059.png

Dear god he's smoking a pipe! Think of all the children this profane imagery must have corrupted. Thank god such things are censored these days. Anyways, what is for sale?
SD0060.png

SD0061.png

I have a feeling a cloth hood won't exactly make us invincible. Looks like mage armor. Shields?
SD0062.png

A gauntlet seems more reasonable. And for armor?
SD0063.png

We can't even afford better body armor yet. Even a straw robe is 250 gold, and we're already wearing a woven robe, which is worth 200. Whats the other armor?
SD0001.png

God damn. Only 15 more princesses to rescue before we can afford that. Hope the king is a busy man.

Yeesh

Magister
Three pages, buy the caveman club and save up for the cloth kkk hood, and move in the direction of the nearest white woman who needs saving.

My but this site does know how to get its 16-bit on.

Damned Registrations

Update 1

And so our noble and not at all cliched quest continues. First, we buy a very expensive stick worth a large quantity of gold (you'd think a gold club would be cheaper and more effective at this price.)
SDa0002.png

Of course, if we have a club, we don't need our knife do we?
SDa0003.png

SDa0004.png

Even the merchants weren't such dicks back then. 75% value for the sale. Sweet. Lets go pick up that hood then.
SDa0005.png

SDa0007.png

Oh fuck. I guess we don't want it after all. We'll have to settle for a collar grabbing implement:
SDa0006.png

SDa0008.png

The club is, shockingly, hardly any better than the knife. A single extra attack point. Oh well. With the sale factored in we only spent 45 gold on it anyways.
SDa0009.png

The gauntlet is pretty sweet OTOH, bumping us up to 18 armor, a 50% improvement. Those giant rats will surely tremble in fear of us now. Incidentally, there are other buildings in town:
SDa0010.png

SDa0011.png

But we have pressing business to attend to.
SDa0012.png

SDa0013.png

SDa0014.png

SDa0015.png

SDa0016.png

Mind = Blown.

SDa0018.png

You'd think he'd be busy with at least one other person.
SDa0019.png

Why are you even here if the minister is telling me everything?
SDa0020.png

SDa0021.png

SDa0022.png

SDa0023.png

Well, given that the only 3 places in the kingdom are here, the town, and the labyrinth, labyrinth is probably a safe bet at this point. :roll:

But suddenly!
SDA1.gif

SDa0027.png

Oh, the king has a name. Imagine that.
SDa0028.png

SDa0029.png

Almost, but not quite as cheesy sounding as our introduction was. Impressive.
SDa0030.png

SDa0031.png

SDa0032.png

*gasp*
SDa0033.png

SDa0034.png

I'll spare you my terrible gif editing skills and just tell you the screen flashed here.
SDa0035.png

SDa0036.png

SDa0037.png

And again. Apparently the badass minister is the only one that doesn't have to take any lip from Gargamel Dark Sol.
SDa0038.png

SDa0039.png

SDA2.gif

He vanished in a flash of light! He MUST be evil! Either that or he dressed up as Theo.
SDa0043.png

SDa0044.png

Of course. Leave the Sol popping to us!

The court has a few words if you bother to talk to them:
SDa0045.png

SDa0046.png

SDa0047.png

So what you're saying is, we should have bought that hood after all? Duly noted.
SDa0048.png

SDa0049.png

SDa0050.png

The Nameless One The minister is clearly wearing the pants here. I mean literally. Everyone else is either in a robe or armor. He's the only one with pants.
SDa0051.png

SDa0052.png

SDa0053.png

You're just hoping I find an ancient dwarven cure for baldness, aren't you?
SDa0054.png

SDa0055.png

SDa0056.png

SDa0057.png

At last, adventure is upon us!
SDa0058.png

Very next-gen. All this brown, they were decades ahead of their time.

We came in through here:
SDa0060.png

Lets start walking!
SDa0061.png

SDa0062.png

First dead end found in 3 steps. Such a fiendish maze!
SDa0063.png

The enemy! Can our arms possible prevail over the darkest of foes... animated piles of snot?
SDa0065.png

SDa0066.png

SDa0067.png

Well our armor is certainly holding out just fine.
SDa0068.png

SDa0069.png

SDa0070.png

And our weapon seems good enough too.
SDa0071.png

Glorious victory is ours!

SDa0073.png

SDa0074.png

SDa0075.png

An awesome blow. Truly we are blessed with majestic talent.
SDa0076.png

SDa0077.png

SDa0078.png

Phat lewt is ours. Now we know why pipes are so popular around here. HERB is pretty easy to acquire.

SDa0080.png

Aha! Of course, we fail to kill even a single enemy with our first attack.
SDa0081.png

And to make things worse, our second attack hits a different foe, since we can only target groups of foes, and not individual foes.

SDa0083.png

Of course, we win anyways, being the best knight in the kingdom and all.

After a bit of exploring we find:
SDa0084.png

Clearly a noteworthy find. We can't pass through it, however...
SDa0085.png

SDa0086.png

Our 8 IQ is performing as expected.
SDa0087.png

SDa0088.png

The dungeon actually branches a lot quite early. We quickly find this little hallway. Nothing special happens when we enter it, but it'll help us keep our bearings.
SDa0089.png

SDa0090.png

Constantly being accosted by slimes is wearing us down.
SDa0091.png

But we put off healing for as long as possible, to get the best use out of our HERB.
SDa0092.png

SDa0093.png

Excellent! We don't raise our current HP with a level up, so increasing our max hp here will let us benefit a lot mroe from the healing.
SDa0094.png

SDa0095.png

At this rate it'll be quite some time before we reach Clevian levels of intelligence, it seems.
SDa0096.png

SDa0097.png

SDa0098.png

*low whistle* Thats about 200 gold worth of attack power, I bet.
SDa0099.png

And thats about 20 gold worth of defense. *sigh*
SDa0100.png

We take some time to chill.
SDa0101.png

SDa0102.png

SDa0104.png

Much better. We should head back though, now that we have no healing items left. It would suck to kick the bucket by exploring too far without any contingency. We poke around for just a little bit more,

finding this other landmark we don't go past:
SDa0106.png

And getting ambushed by mysterious shadows we can't possibly identify:
SDa0107.png

SDa0108.png

SDa0109.png

We also find one more dead end before heading back:
SDa0110.png

Ah, it will be good to enjoy the feedom of the outdoors again. Except for the part where we become rooted to the spot and only able to turn in place and enter doors.
SDa0111.png

SDa0112.png

SDa0113.png

SDa0114.png

SDa0115.png

16-bit bloom is awe inspiring indeed. But our eyes adjust much faster than a vault dweller's.
SDa0116.png

SDa0117.png

Lets check out the local jew stronghold.
SDa0118.png

I shit you not, I just npw while writing this, realized the colourful thing above his head is a stained glass window. I always thought it was his hat before. He seems so much less impressive now.
SDa0119.png

SDa0120.png

Apparently being molested by slimy ooze isn't a problem for the priest. What a revelation.
SDa0121.png

That's actually pretty close. This is the only place in the game you get this information, btw.
SDa0122.png

We save the old fashioned way, since savestates would disgrace our monocles.
SDa0123.png

We duck inside the tavern. It's quite busy:
SDa0124.png

SDa0125.png

SDa0126.png

And they couldn't find me? There's like, not two dozen people in this entire kingdom. Their IQ must be on par with ours.
SDa0127.png

Yes. Avoiding additional party members is definitely the first order of business.

You can talk to everyone in the tavern by the way. Panning to the right reveals Andyman, shirking his LP duties.
SDa0001.png

This is also where we can rest, which iirc costs a whopping 10 gold, of our currently stashed 65 or so.

In the next update we shall proceed further in the labyrinth, but things from the local druglord ALKEMIST, and possibly talk to a bunch of furries in the tavern.

lightbane

Arcane
So many furries :decline: Even so, I remember the game was really good for what it was.

Damned Registrations

Update 2: This one is a bit shorter, since I had planned to have filtered screenshots on this one. However, apparently Kega doesn't give a fuck if the game is filtered, and pops out the originals anyways. Oh well, these take up way less bandwidth anyways.

First order of business: we destroy our credibility by talking to a furry.
SDb0002.png

This is actually some pretty :obviously: dialogue compared to all the corny light/darkness stuff. I was quite impressed. Mind you, I was also like, 8 years old or something. But this part held up surprisingly well. Ambition and death doesn't pop up very often in most other jrpgs.
SDb0003.png

Yeah he did seem like a bit of a dick. Lets talk to the owner's wife next.
SDb0004.png

That's SIR CODEX to you.
SDb0005.png

SDb0006.png

SDb0007.png

So far behind it feels like I have no support at all, in fact. :roll:
SDb0008.png

SDb0009.png

SDb0010.png

You know, I never thought about this beforehand, but don't I live here? I have friends here, I'm a knight at the castle which is apparently not far away, don't I have my own bed to sleep in? How did I manage to live before now?

Anyways, the tavern empties out when you wake up, which is a nice touch:
SDb0011.png

SDb0012.png

In order to have a nice day, we're going to need some drugs, I think.
SDb0013.png

SDb0014.png

Most :smug: shopkeep ever.
SDb0015.png

Wow, stuff we can actually afford!
SDb0016.png

Kind of obvious what this does. Better safe than sorry, especially at that low a price.
SDb0017.png

We'll see what this does
SDb0018.png

as well as this, later when I use them.

Actually, I use the wisdom seed almost right away when entering the dungeon. This is the same torch hallway as before.
SDb0019.png

SDb0020.png

Thats right ladies and gentlemen, you need a consumable to open the map in SitD. Note that it isn't a perfect map either; it only shows tiles we've stepped on, and shows no details. The dungeon entrance is at the bottom, directly below us. To our right is an actual dead end hallway, but the winding path ahead actually forks at the second corner.
SDb0021.png

We also get our X/Y coordinates, which is handy.

We move onward, depper into the dungeon this time, past the puddle we stopped at before.
SDb0022.png

Shortly after, we are accosted by multi-headed somethings in the dark!
SDb0023.png

SDb0024.png

These actually hit a little harder than slimes but have even less defense. But sicne we bought more armor early and are level 2 already, they're no different from slimes at this point.
SDb0025.png

The chest you see in the distance contained some more HERB, which we picked up. Unfortunately, I bungled the screenshots. Added to the two we bought, this gives us a total of three:
SDb0027.png

Note that that is our full inventory space. Equipment takes up slots too, so we currently only have 5 spaces for consumables and anything we find in the dungeon. And this'll be only four spaces when we finally buy a helm! If that seems like a rather harsh limit, well, it is. Carefully deciding what to bring with you remains an important factor to success throughout the game.

While exploring, we find devious manboons!
SDb0028.png

SDb0029.png

These can actually hurt us, even with our extra armor. If we were level one with default armor we'd probably have to flee from these guys. But we aren't so we kick ass instead!
SDb0030.png

More new enemies:
SDb0031.png

These can actually appear right at the entrance, but we just didn't encounter any until now. Aside from having better attack/defense/hp than slimes (but worse speed), they're also the first encounter we have that displays a special ability:
SDb0032.png

Cave Slugs can block attacks. This isn't due to low attack power, but just a flat chance of ignoring a melee hit. However, we push on and win the battle, gaining another level:
SDb0033.png

IQ+3
Speed+2
Luck +2
Attack+3
Defense+1
SDb0039.png

More slugs. They miss fairly often since they're so slow.
SDb0040.png

Another chest. I actually take screenshots this time.
SDb0041.png

Though I still fuck it up enough that you can't tell it's another HERB.
SDb0042.png

We can't take it since our inventory is full.
SDb0043.png

Fortunately leaving it just puts it back in the chest, unlike if we'd found an item after battle.
SDb0044.png

We use one of our herbs and grab this one before moving on.

SDb0046.png

Dear god, the dungeon has animated grape jelly as well as snot. The princess is in dire peril indeed.
SDb0047.png

These can also hurt us like the manboons. Additional, these buggers are fast, often moving before us.
SDb0048.png

But the rewards are significantly better than the green oozes.
SDb0049.png

Manboon enrichment squad. We defeat them, but lose quite a few hp in the process. However, we gain another level:
SDb0050.png

HP+7
IQ+3
Speed+2
Luck+2
Attack+4
Defense+2

SDb0056.png

We wander around a bit more, but realize we are completely lost, and not actually heading back to the entrance as we intended. Rather than risk a horrible death by blundering even deeper into the dungeon, we use one of our precious items, the most expensive we bought:
SDb0057.png

SDb0058.png

SDb0059.png

SDb0060.png

Yep, Angel Feathers serve as our popamole get out of jail free cards. However, they use up a precious inventory slot and cost 24 gold, which is fairly hefty right now. However, after resting at the inn, we've made some progress:
SDb0061.png

Two more levels have brought our stats up quite a bit. Our attack is rather respectable now, and our HP are high enough that it won't be a waste to use an herb without being on deaths door. We have 95 gold left after the stay at the inn, and we still have most of our supplies too:
SDb0001.png

In the next episode, there shall be more furry DISCUSSion, more dungeon spelunking, possibly some new equipment purchase, and we'll start drawing our own map (If anyone wants to recommend a good tool for this other than generic image editor, that'd be cool), because fuck if I can memorize this shit or afford space for wisdom seeds.

spekkio

Arcane
A blonde shopkeeper with suspicious jew-bone, selling the Seed of Wisdom?

I feel strange Codexian vibes coming from this game...

Damned Registrations

After looking around a bit, I've come to the conclusion that existing map tools are made of fail. All I want is something that lets me paint tiles on a fucking grid, and quickly edit/make new tiles and a legend for the map. But everything is either drag and drop (which is retarded when you're trying to place dozens of tiles) or doesn't let you customize fuck all, or both.

Edit: Found something. Of course, it's not free. ARGHTREHGKRHG.

Damned Registrations

Found something else. It's not quite as good as what I'd hoped for (I have to edit mother fucking xml files to add new custom tiles and doodads made in another editor ffs!) but it'll do the trick.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
One of my first dungeon crawlers!

The guy who did the character designs in this and Shining Force, Yoshitaka Tamaki, is my favorite character designer ever. Check out the characters he made for FEDA: Emblem of Justice.

fedacharacters.jpg

The characters are a little more serious or whatever, but you can see a direct progression from Shining in the Darkness to FEDA. It's pretty cool.

Good luck with this!

Uh, why does my post require moderator authorization?

Luzur

Good Sir
i never made it far in this game, end of level 3 if i dont remember it wrong.

prob look up some cheats and finish this puppy someday.

Yeesh

Magister
On the one hand, of course it's deliciously olde skoole to have to draw your own goddamned map. On the other hand, fuck dude. Can a man get too old for this shit, when this shit is retro gaming that he remembers from the first time around? Or is this a conceptual oxymoron?

Damned Registrations

SitD Update 3:

Our continued attempts at furry diplomacy fail us:
SDc0002.png

SDc0003.png

SDc0004.png

Lets try talking with the gnome or whatever it is instead:
SDc0005.png

Been what way?
SDc0006.png

SDc0007.png

Oh. Old? Pathetic? Drunk?
SDc0008.png

SDc0009.png

What a buzzkill. Why aren't you helping TACK? Don't you realize Gnorn needs internets booze?

We try talking to the only none hideous creature currently in the room:
SDc0010.png

According to the furry knight he's probably dead already. Tough luck sis.
SDc0011.png

SDc0012.png

I have no idea what edward is supposed to be, honestly. That face scares me. We retreat to the dungeon where such eldritch horrors dare not dwell.
SDc0013.png

SDc0014.png

God damn I love that glow when you first open a chest.
SDc0015.png

Excellent. Our jewgolds supply grows steadily. In fact, after some monster mugging and gaining a level, we had back out with just enough for a stay at the inn and buy an upgrade:
SDc0016.png

SDc0017.png

Leather helm ought to show those furries who's boss around here. Maybe next we'll pick up a fur hat and robe and really drive the point home.

Last time we were here we ignored one of the equipment sets, but we take a look this time:
SDc0018.png

SDc0019.png

Too rich for our blood just yet. We turn to leave, however...
SDc0020.png

He must have realized we'd be interested in some hot loot after dealing with that shady alkemist lady.
SDc0021.png

What is it, a gimp mask? Kinky.
SDc0022.png

SDc0023.png

Items like these aren't in endless supply like other stock, you can only buy one. They tend to be a good value though. They're sold under 'deals' at each shop.
SDc0024.png

We equip our stylish accessory before heading out. 8 armor isn't a lot considering we got 6 from the gauntlet, and that only cost 120 gold. Still, it's another sizable bonus. Our armor should be well above average for the next trip.
SDc0026.png

SDc0027.png

We return to the dungeon in search of more phat lewts.
SDc0028.png

A nice find, since it can be sold for another 75 gold. However, we don't have any empty slots right now. We'll grab it on our way back out of the dungeon.
SDc0029.png

More power! Raaah!

The dungeon is easy to get lost in, but we're carefully mapping things, so we stay on track this time.
SDc0030.png

SDc0031.png

Places like this make for good landmarks if you aren't mapping though. I never drew maps up when I played through as a kid, but I also took forever to get through the game, and only proceeded through the dungeon methodically (make a right turn at every fork for example). Such things are a lot less tedious when you're young I suppose. Though I never finished the game either, since I missed an important item somewhere in the labyrinth, and couldn't be bothered to scour everything to find it again.
SDc0032.png

We can map fairly quickly my recognizing how things look at different distances. The walls above are 3 steps away, so the room is at least 2x3 after the one tile passageway into it.

We encounter another new enemy type:
SDc0033.png

SDc0034.png

Our armor holds up well. And luckily, they don't poison us.
SDc0035.png

SDc0036.png

SDc0037.png

Reward is pretty decent for these enemies. We'll be rolling in bling in no time.

More new enemies:
SDc0038.png

They have the same damage resistance skill the slugs have, but otherwise don't pose a threat. However, all these battles are whittling us away slowly, so we eat an herb.
SDc0039.png

SDc0040.png

Our max HP is 54, so ~30 is the limit for herb recovery it seems.

We find another interesting dungeon object:
SDc0041.png

But not interesting enough it seems.
SDc0042.png

Admittedly it feels like I'm levelling up a lot, since I had to backtrack a few times to remeasure distances while mapping stuff out. I'm sure it'll save time in the long run though.
SDc0043.png

Now our slots are full again.
SDc0044.png

A nice haul.
SDc0045.png

We could buy a pretty decent weapon with that kind of cash. Curiosity beckons however. We still have 3 herbs and are probably overlevelled.
SDc0046.png

This looks interesting.
SDc0047.png

But it doesn't do anything.
SDc0048.png

Not even when we check the crotch to see if it's a TRAP.

We also find another door, differently colored this time. This one doesn't open up for us either:
SDc0049.png

Ho-hum. Maybe we should head back soon, we got lots of gold and have mapped out half this level it seems...
SDc0050.png

DANGER! DANGER!
SDc0051.png

Son of a fuck!
SDc0052.png

SDc0053.png

Run away! Run away!
SDc0001.png

DM2.png

Damned Registrations

I'll fix up a better key for the map some time tomorrow. If anything is bugging you about it just ask and I'll explain what it is.

Edit: Map inclined.

Damned Registrations

One of my first dungeon crawlers!

The guy who did the character designs in this and Shining Force, Yoshitaka Tamaki, is my favorite character designer ever. Check out the characters he made for FEDA: Emblem of Justice.

*snip*

The characters are a little more serious or whatever, but you can see a direct progression from Shining in the Darkness to FEDA. It's pretty cool.

Good luck with this!

Uh, why does my post require moderator authorization?

Cool. I've been hankering for a TBS game to play, maybe I'll do a LP of this instead of Brigandine like I was planning. Blind LPs are more fun to read anyways, I think.

Damned Registrations

Out of curiosity, I looked up the release dates and grabbed some maps of the Might and Magic game released closest to SitD. It's MM3. 1991 for both games.

might_and_magic_iii_town_caverns.png

Now, MM3 had more maps than SitD does, not to mention the entire overworld. But still, the fact that SitD had 32x32 maps while MM3 generally had 16x16 (with the maze being the only exception AFAICT), and on top of that, the labyrinth is more, well, labyrinthy (A lot of MM3 dungeons have linear paths or lots of open space) is pretty damned :incline: of sega back in the day.

spekkio

Arcane
SMT series?

:oops:

But it also had Mario, Metroid, last good Final Fantasy games, Ogre Battle / Tactics Ogre... Did I mention StarFox?

:obviously:

To my surpise, I'm following this LP due to your commentrary - keep it up, and who knows - maybe this LP will reach page 2...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom