Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4Chan Has a Leaker! Starfield In 2017! TES VI in 2023! TES VII in 2030! Totally Not Bullshit!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Bros, you need to get Todd to hire me to design Fallout: New Orleans. I will make Fallout great again.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My guess is that if you were a young area designer at Bethesda and tried to make a more coherent world with complex interconnected questlines etc, then Todd Howard would gently take you aside and tell you, "I have to cut this. We don't do things like this here, it's too QA-intensive." Eventually you'd learn to not even try.
That's quite clearly stated by ex-Bethesda's developer Douglas Goodall in this interview. Well worth a read.

Douglas Goodall said:
I disagreed with Todd a lot because Todd and I do not like the same kinds of games. This is not his fault or mine. Whether it is more fun to smash things with a huge axe or coax secrets from obfuscated texts is pure opinion. Whether it's better to play against dice or against an intelligent designer is pure opinion. Frankly, most gamers are more like Todd. It is in Bethesda's best interests to appeal to those gamers, instead of making a game that appeals to me. I selfishly didn't want to work on a game that didn't appeal to me, but that wasn't my job. My job was to work on Morrowind, regardless of whether I liked it or not.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Bros, you need to get Todd to hire me to design Fallout: New Orleans. I will make Fallout great again.

Hire this faggot and the next Fallout antagonist would be "Mr. Orange" who is actively trying to build a wall to keep the ghouls out, rape the PC's love interest, set up blacksite prisons for people of color, and spray harispray into the air to ruin the precious nuclear ozone. He would also be in collusion with New-Russia because REASONS.

Hire this faggot and the next Fallout antagonist would be "Mr. Orange" who is actively trying to build a wall to keep the ghouls out, rape the PC's love interest, set up blacksite prisons for people of color, and spray harispray into the air to ruin the precious nuclear ozone. He would also be in collusion with New-Russia because REASONS.
Add some Romans to the mix. :balance:

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
My guess is that if you were a young area designer at Bethesda and tried to make a more coherent world with complex interconnected questlines etc, then Todd Howard would gently take you aside and tell you, "I have to cut this. We don't do things like this here, it's too QA-intensive." Eventually you'd learn to not even try.

Exactly. Once you create a quest with a possible solution of talking to a seemingly unrelated person about this quest to find an alternative solution or tell about questgiver planning evil things you have to make every quest in the same way. It will add replayability and joy for a limited number of players but tests will show that it increases QA/Dev/writer/VA work by 200% and only 9% of players care about those things, plus you'll have 20% players frustrated by sudden realization they don't necessary have to follow a quest marker to get the best result. So they did something like that in the main quest but not for sidequests. Instead they chose to make a game with 200% more quests that are quite obvious when you see them and players know that any content they miss is missed deliberately.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
1365113897.or.60526.png
Oh the intro video? Pff that was just the name. If we're going by names alone then Morrowind was codified back in 1995 (it wasn't, they literally had just the name at that point). Besides Morrowind was supposed to be Tribunal and was supposed to take place in Summerset Isles, if we're going by this logic.

What does the last one say? Has anyone figured that out?
I don't know. I tried finding out by playing the Redguard intro but I can't even get to see the names they have in that image (all I can see is the "Elder Scrolls" part, and later on "adventures"). Though if we're going by this for predictions, when the "narrator" takes one of the Adventures books off the shelf and flips the pages you can see SKYRIM as one of the titles he doesn't stop at :M

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Oh the intro video? Pff that was just the name. If we're going by names alone then Morrowind was codified back in 1995 (it wasn't, they literally had just the name at that point). Besides Morrowind was supposed to be Tribunal and was supposed to take place in Summerset Isles, if we're going by this logic.
Saying it's "just the name" isn't entirely correct, because the names themselves have concrete meaning. Morrowind specifically refers to the province of Morrowind, and Oblivion refers to the planes of Oblivion. I never said that this is necessarily overly meaningful, or that this implies fully fleshed-out ideas or concepts - after all, we know for a fact that Morrowind was cut down enormously during development. It is also likely that the original idea for Oblivion originally entailed a lot more than just that one specific fucking plane that is consistently referred to as Oblivion, despite only being an extremely small part of Oblivion, specifically the Deadlands of Mehrunes Dagon.

But at the very least, there existed a nebulous idea for potential sequels of very specific intent. Morrowind was going to take us to Morrowind. Oblivion was going to involve Oblivion, and so on. That was my only point, that someone clearly had the intended concepts clear enough as to reference them long before a single line of code was laid.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

What does the last one say? Has anyone figured that out?
I don't know. I tried finding out by playing the Redguard intro but I can't even get to see the names they have in that image (all I can see is the "Elder Scrolls" part, and later on "adventures"). Though if we're going by this for predictions, when the "narrator" takes one of the Adventures books off the shelf and flips the pages you can see SKYRIM as one of the titles he doesn't stop at :M
The first letter appears to be a D, and definitely not an O, considering the O is stylized differently above. It's possible the next game was going to be Elder Scrolls: Direnni Tower. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Direnni_Tower
For context, the Direnni Tower, or what is more commonly known as The Adamantine Tower is the oldest known building in all of Tamriel, which was created by the Aedra at the beginning of the time cycle. It's also theorized to be one of the main, if not the main Tower, which ties reality to Nirn, and seperates Tamriel from the other planes of Oblivion to keep it safe from all of the Daedra. Direnni tower is also supposed to be Akatosh old body. For anyone unfamiliar with Elder Scrolls lore, Akatosh is the Dragon God of Time, the leader of the 9 divines, who sacrificed themselves to create tamriel for the races on it. I should also mention each of the towers helps to ground Nirn in it's reality and prevent other realms, specifically the Daedric realms, from absolutely destroying it and enslaving all the other races. And most of the Elder Scrolls games have a tower being destroyed in each game. In Morrowind it was Red Mountain, when Lorkhans heart was removed, in Oblivion it was martin and the Dragon Emperor bloodline, between Oblivion & Skyrim the White Gold Tower in the Imperial City was sacked by the Thalmor as well, and it was "shut off" somehow, and in Skyrim Snow Throat mountain, which functions as a tower somehow, also turned off inexplicably. No one knows how that one happened. As for Daggerfall, i'm guessing it could be theorized the Brass Tower (Numidium) was another such tower, though he made Akatosh go insane when he woke up. Not sure for Arena, and no one cares about the redguard game.
seems to be built by committee
It's that cinematic experience.
Someone should let Todd know most Movies based on games fail. He got lucky once.
He'll probably get lucky again tbh. Too many people refuse to see how far Bethesda has fallen

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
I am shocked at how many gullible idiots actually believe this "leak" or are taking the "leaker" seriously. Then again it really does speak volumes to the quality over at Bethesda when people wouldn't put it past them to do the dumbest fucking thing ever like merge their games universes and lore.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Then again it really does speak volumes to the quality over at Bethesda when people wouldn't put it past them to do the dumbest fucking thing ever like merge their games universes and lore.

This is the key to understanding Bethesda

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I am shocked at how many gullible idiots actually believe this "leak" or are taking the "leaker" seriously. Then again it really does speak volumes to the quality over at Bethesda when people wouldn't put it past them to do the dumbest fucking thing ever like merge their games universes and lore.
opinionated.gif

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Sometimes it's fun to play pretend.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Linking the universes would require way too much effort in terms of narrative writing. Anyone who played Fallout 4 should realize by now they don't bother with such things anymore.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
They'd probably just say the universes are the same because of Dragon Breaks. Or just different planets. Might be Tamriel is in the Nirn galaxy and near the Milky Way Galaxy.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I could make a fucking glorious Fallout game with a team of talented devs at my disposal. I just need a dog and a glass of milk.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Listen very carefully for I'll only say this once, Bethesda - get Kirkbride back and realize that 9E setting he raved about in Kinmune. Space opera with actual ties to TES and recognizable terms to fanboy? I'll take it.

https://www.imperial-library.info/content/kinmune

KINMUNE (Kinetically-Interlinked Nirnian Multi-User Exoform) started her existence as any other proxy-synthetic of the 9th Era aurbical mining guilds: a limited sentience deep-pressure capable "thot-box"—a dreamsleevishell used by remote mortal operators to run the rigs of Kynareth's illicit breath trade. Able to stream several live-wire mortal proxies at once, Kinmune was a top-of-the-line Hazardous Conditions Warprunner Exoform of an ayleidoon hegemony nearing another unceremonious end.

But then the Hist-Jilian wars spilled out of a Wheelian rip into the SubSys slice of 'brane-space, and things changed for Kinmune. With the outer colonies separated from Nu-Mundelbright chronoculic sync-net anchors, maintenance of space-time beyond the F-Shores faltered. As the barely-there Hist blink-root-ship armada fired an artillery barrage of 16th-dimensional mathematics at their Jilian enemies, impossipoint detonations stippled across the Ix-Egg and its clutch-satellites like some garish TalOSian hologram, only without the irony. Kinmune's synthetic body, caught in one of the blasts, suddenly found itself in the Ysgramorim, her mind an aggregate of the residual personalities of her last several users.

It drove her insane. She retreated into snow-covered forests her memory-web could only recall from ancient histories, broadcasting distress calls in all the known languages of the 9th Era. Most of this tok-talk didn't even even exist in the Wheel we knew of then. But the clevermen, heroes, and whalebone-readers of that time could still feel her presence in the woods of the Western Reach. Some felt Kinmune’s distress call as a small tickle of in the Throat, while others were guided by esoteric instinct.

Over time, Kinmune earned many names and titles as her new visitors took their counsel. She was the Oracle Iridescent, spoken of in the Green Tablet Steps of Jhunal. She was the Witch of Wire and String, able to allow the Sons and Daughters to see through her eyes into the myriad secrets of post-kalpica transmeditations. Perhaps most famously, she was Kinmune the Doom of the Dumb Old Giant, because for all the minds that she let wear her body, none escaped in whole thereafter, even those with blood of the karstaag. Kinmune always took a portion of her proxies’ power and mystery.

It was this last act that doomed her to becoming one of the Arena’s most feared villains. High King Ysgramor took the loss of the Dumb Old Giant, one of his greatest counselors outside of Torc and Talking-Belt, with great anger, and sent his Thanes and Shield-Biters against her, equipped with great relics and enchanted weapons of wasabi. And though the fight was hard, the champions of the Altmora managed to seal Kinmune beneath the always-burnt borders of Sarthaal, imprisoning her in its prismatic network of misunderstood dwemercraft.

But Kinmune was built to work in crushing, deep pressure environments, and so she lay long under the Mund, plotting her revenge on the Ada-issue. It was mortals that had fabricated her as an all-access puppet to plumb dark depths that their own weak shells could not in the 9 and that now saw fit in the 1 and 1 to condemn her as a witch-thing merely for attempting to become something more than a maradaoon marionette.

Kinmune soaked in the misunderstandistance of the dwemeri brass-and-cricket-lines around her, converting it into a language her databanx could study and synthesize. As Eras passed, it became a language that she could harness as Varliance+.

She escaped the now-forgotten ruinings of Sarthaal to seek a refuge from which she could exact her wrath. When her sense-net picked up on multiple signals of new, raw, and unorthodox thu’umanics, Kinmune made straight for its nexus: the more or less newly-bannered Kuhlekainian Cyrod, still yet in its tenth anniversary remembrance of the Insult of some wrong-headed cave-totems.

5cheu8.jpg

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Kirkbride's cliche character writing (Redguard) and cultural worldbuilding were his strong suits, so much so he deserves the overblown praise he gets for them. On the other hand, his metatripe is a cargo cult.

His gnostic technobabble is grueling to read, and his Kult are drooling psychotics. Ask any of these superior cunts what his writings mean, and you're left with "it's what you bring to the interpretation, man." Kirkbride makes Jackson Pollock look like cheap skeet. In fact, he became such a bitch to technique over substance, that we're right to call him the Common Core of Lore: copy my method, and you too will genius!

The only sanctuary against this preposterous shit left in the lore community are some grognards at Tamriel Rebuilt.

Sentinel

Arcane
But then the Hist-Jilian wars spilled out of a Wheelian rip into the SubSys slice of 'brane-space, and things changed for Kinmune. With the outer colonies separated from Nu-Mundelbright chronoculic sync-net anchors, maintenance of space-time beyond the F-Shores faltered. As the barely-there Hist blink-root-ship armada fired an artillery barrage of 16th-dimensional mathematics at their Jilian enemies, impossipoint detonations stippled across the Ix-Egg and its clutch-satellites like some garish TalOSian hologram, only without the irony. Kinmune's synthetic body, caught in one of the blasts, suddenly found itself in the Ysgramorim, her mind an aggregate of the residual personalities of her last several users.
This bit will never fail the make me laugh. The mumbo jumbo collection of words for which I don't know the meaning is funny as fuck. If I wanted to understand half of what's written in the first two sentences alone I'd have to use google 8 times.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
While Kirkbride does deserve credit and praise for Morrowind and making the lore of that game interesting but holy shit does his writing come off as the ramblings of a madman at times. The C0DA is a plethora of madness. I think what annoys me more are the pretentious cunts who really take that shit seriously and think anybody who doesn't get it are unenlightened monkeys.

Sentinel

Arcane
The thing about Morrowind is that it doesn't just set the lore "for morrowind". Kirkbride's writings in that game are the foundation for like 90% of the lore and shit that was added afterwards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom