Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4 years w/o playing new games - anything I missed? (PC sp)

nomask7

Arcane
I just want to hear about the best ones, the ones that are like good lovers or good dogs.

The newest game I've played (apart from Grimoire demo) is probably Two Worlds II from late 2010.

Here's a list of something like my top favorite games if you want to calibrate: Hordes of the Underdark (mostly for the atmosphere of playing without map), G2: Night of the Raven (atmosphere and challenging travel/exploration), Two Worlds (modern Diablo done well, although largely lacking in atmosphere if you compare with original Diablo), Dark Omen (proof that single player RTS can be great), Far Cry (played this on realistic and loved it), Doom (complex levels and OK atmosphere with Playstation version soundtrack), Deus Ex (played this on the hardest setting as well; I especially enjoyed the sneaking and the sense of challenge), TES: Arena (those dungeons, man!), Resident Evil (atmosphere and love the mansion), ADOM (roguelike that feels compact and well designed, at least compared with some of the competition).

I also don't mind trying strange games that don't fit a category and I don't mind trying games that are of different type than those I listed.

I don't like popamole shooters. I'm not a big fan of turn based combat (I think it's just not interesting enough considering how long it takes). I find RTS is usually disappointing in SP due to game being more complex than AI. Civ and Sims type games are great for a couple of days and then I grow weary of them. Morrowind was nice until you got to the part where you had to unite the different clans - ugh, what a chore. I don't like games that feel like a chore.

tl;dr I just want to hear about the best ones, the ones that are like good lovers or good dogs.

Modron

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin (caveat being it is turnbased)
Binary Domain (completely popamole but popamole done right)
Xenonauts
FTL
Game of Thrones (the rpg was actually pretty good, decent story that was grim dark done right and combat was essentially Kotor style so your mileage may vary)
Papers, Please
Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends

Uh you made no comment on your stance on adventure games but I would still recommend Primordia at least (other honorable mentions in adventure gaming: Kentucky Route Zero, Heroine's Quest, Quest for Infamy, Gemini Rue, Book of Unwritten Tales Series, Deponia series, Memoria/Chains of Satinov, etcetera (for a dead genre Point and Click adventure games have had a real good last couple years even before kickstarter really)).

Angthoron

Arcane
For the strategy/4X section:

Eador
Legend of the Endless

Also, seconding all the non-troll posts, those games are good, even Binary Domain, a popamole done right. Bulletstorm can be amusing. Far Cry 3 (or 4), if you can ignore UbiSoft's attempts at being deep (and get a trainer to skip the "voluntary" upgrade grinding).

Morkar Left

modded Gothic 3
modded PotC (New Horizons Mod)
modded New Vegas
Wasteland 2
Shadowrun Dragonfall DC
Dead State if you like zombies

and I guess a lot of other games I haven't tried. Fun times for you ahead.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Based on your recommendations, previously played titles, titles mentioned by others and recently released titles I would possibly recommend to people, only Xenonauts might be worth your while, and then only if you loved the original X-Com games.

Otherwise there is nothing to see here, move along.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Last 4 years?
Mmmm...

Wasteland 2
Xenonauts
Crusared Kings 2
Europa Universalis 4
Hearts of Iron 4 (probably playable by now)
Assetto Corsa

But i'm probably missing something.

Sykar

Arcane
Dragon Derp: Inquitardation, haven't you heard of it's awesomeness? It's fulll of :incloosive: romances and of course their pride and joy of a complex and multidimensional likeable character: Sera!
images

Don't forget Mass Tard 3, the ending was especially well done.

:troll:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Dragon Derp: Inquitardation, haven't you heard of it's awesomeness? It's fulll of :incloosive: romances and of course their pride and joy of a complex and multidimensional likeable character: Sera!
images

Don't forget Mass Tard 3, the ending was especially well done.

:troll:
trying too hard

phtmyr

Cipher
Two Worlds (modern Diablo done well, although largely lacking in atmosphere if you compare with original Diablo)

Path of Exile
Very good Diablo clone. It's Free-to-Play and they only sell cosmetic upgrades. You can co-op with random people or friends if you so desire.

Deus Ex (played this on the hardest setting as well; I especially enjoyed the sneaking and the sense of challenge)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
It won't give you the Deus Ex experience but it's an alright game. Features terrible boss fights.

Dishonored
First person stealth game. Your dude have access to some special powers and gadgets that make the game really easy. There are multiple ways to do the missions and you can do them without being seen or killing anyone. Interesting setting.

I also don't mind trying strange games that don't fit a category and I don't mind trying games that are of different type than those I listed.

Added representative gameplay videos to the following to save you the trouble.

Antichamber
First person puzzle game. Really like the unique puzzle design.

Stanley Parable
First person exploration/puzzle game. There's a free demo avaiable.

Hotline Miami
Fast paced (with a lot of premeditation) 2D top-down murdering game with an visual style that's not so easy on the eyes. Nice, driving soundtrack.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Definitely Dark Souls with mods for a resolution unlocker. Probably the best game since VtMB. Must use a controller even if you never used one before. It may sound uneasy, but just do it and you'll never regret. The atmosphere, the setting, holy shit...

nomask7

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions. I brofisted the high effort responses, but thanks to all who bothered.

I tried Dark Souls once but it was awkward to play on PC (with a controller) and I couldn't even get out of the starting dungeon. It seemed pretty railroady anyway.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Thanks for the suggestions. I brofisted the high effort responses, but thanks to all who bothered.

I tried Dark Souls once but it was awkward to play on PC (with a controller) and I couldn't even get out of the starting dungeon.

Takes a bit to get used but you should be able to manage in no time. If you can, get an Xbox 360 controller since the stick is easier to use than the pad. Plus you need something durable to take all the punishment you are likely going to inflict on it. Also, don't even bother trying playing without DSfix. Aside for the graphical and frame-rate improvements, i would also recommend toning down the ambient occlusion or whatever that shit that makes everything look blurry in the background is. This is my current DSfix configuration, which you can probably use as is, just change the resolution with one that fits your monitor:

# You can configure DSfix by editing this file
# Lines starting with "#" are ignored by the program and contain descriptions of the options

###############################################################################
# Graphics Options

# internal rendering resolution of the game
# higher values will decrease performance
renderWidth 2520
renderHeight 1575

# The display width/height
# 0 means use the same resolution as renderWidth/Height
# (use for downscaling - if in doubt, leave at 0)
presentWidth 1680
presentHeight 1050

############# Anti Aliasing

# AA toggle and quality setting
# 0 = off (best performance, worst IQ)
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
# 4 = ultra (worst performance, best IQ)
aaQuality 0

# AA type
# either "SMAA" or "FXAA"
aaType SMAA

############# Ambient Occlusion

# Enable and set the strength of the SSAO effect (all 3 settings have the same performance impact!)
# 0 = off
# 1 = low
# 2 = medium
# 3 = high
ssaoStrength 0

# Set SSAO scale
# 1 = high quality (default)
# 2 = lower quality, lower impact on performance
# 3 = lowest quality, lowest impact on performance
ssaoScale 1

# Determine the type of AO used
# "VSSAO" = Volumetric SSAO (default, only option pre-1.9)
# "HBAO" = Horizon-Based Ambient Occlusion
# "SCAO" = VSSAO + HBAO
# "VSSAO2" = Volumetric SSAO with more samples (tweaked by Asmodean)
# VSSAO and HBAO types have a slightly different effect. and similar performance
# SCAO combines both, with a higher performance impact
# VSSAO2 is generally more accurate, but also requires more performance
ssaoType VSSAO

############# Depth of field

# Depth of Field resolution override, possible values:
# 0 = no change from default (DoF pyramid starts at 512x360)
# 540 = DoF pyramid starts at 960x540
# 810 = DoF pyramid starts at 1440x810
# 1080 = DoF pyramid starts at 1920x1080
# 2160 = DoF pyramid starts at 3840x2160
# higher values will decrease performance
# do NOT set this to the same value as your vertical rendering resolution!
dofOverrideResolution 810

# Depth of Field scaling override (NOT RECOMMENDED)
# 0 = DoF scaling enabled (default, recommended)
# 1 = DoF scaling disabled (sharper, worse performance, not as originally intended)
disableDofScaling 0

# Depth of field additional blur
# allows you to use high DoF resolutions and still get the originally intended effect
# suggested values:
# o (off) at default DoF resolution
# 0 or 1 at 540 DoF resolution
# 1 or 2 above that
# 3 or 4 at 2160 DoF resolution (if you're running a 680+)
dofBlurAmount 0

############# Framerate

# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

# FPS limit, only used with unlocked framerate
# do not set this much higher than 60, this will lead to various issues with the engine
FPSlimit 30

# FPS threshold
# DSfix will dynamically disable AA if your framerate drops below this value
# and re-enable it once it has normalized (with a bit of hysteresis thresholding)
FPSthreshold 28

############# Filtering

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change
# 1 = enable some bilinear filtering (use only if you need it!)
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance)
# if in doubt, leave this at 0
filteringOverride 0

# HUD options

# Enable HUD modifications
# 0 = off (default) - none of the options below will do anything!
# 1 = on
enableHudMod 0

# Remove the weapon icons from the HUD
# (you can see which weapons you have equipped from your character model)
enableMinimalHud 1

# Scale down HuD, examples:
# 1.0 = original scale
# 0.75 = 75% of the original size
hudScaleFactor 0.75

# Set opacity for different elements of the HUD
# 1.0 = fully opaque
# 0.0 = fully transparent
# Top left: health bars, stamina bar, humanity counter, status indicators
hudTopLeftOpacity 0.8f
# Bottom left: item indicators & counts
hudBottomLeftOpacity 0.75f
# Bottom right: soul count
hudBottomRightOpacity 0.5f

# Window & Mouse Cursor Options

# borderless fullscreen mode
# make sure to select windowed mode in the game settings for this to work!
# 0 = disable
# 1 = enable
borderlessFullscreen 1

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
disableCursor 1

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
captureCursor 0

# Save Game Backup Options

# enables save game backups
# 0 = no backups
# 1 = backups enabled
# backups are stored in the save folder, as "[timestamp]_[original name].bak"
enableBackups 1

# backup interval in seconds (1500 = 25 minutes)
# (minimum setting 600)
backupInterval 1500

# maximum amount of backups, older ones will be deleted
maxBackups 10

# Texture Override Options

# enables texture dumping
# you *only* need this if you want to create your own override textures
# textures will be dumped to "dsfix\tex_override\[hash].tga"
enableTextureDumping 0

# enables texture override
# textures in "dsfix\tex_override\[hash].png" will replace the corresponding originals
# will cause a small slowdown during texture loading!
enableTextureOverride 0

# Other Options

# skip the intro logos
# this should now be slightly more stable, but should still be
# the first thing to disable in case you experience any problems
skipIntro 1

# change the screenshot directory
# default: . (current directory)
# example: C:\Users\Peter\Pictures
# directory must exist!
screenshotDir .

# override the in-game language
# none = no override
# en-GB = English, fr = French, it = Italian, de = German, es = Spanish
# ko = Korean, zh-tw = Chinese, pl = Polish, ru = Russian
# this does not work in Windows XP!
overrideLanguage none

# Dinput dll chaining
# if you want to use another dinput8.dll wrapper together
# with DSfix, rename it (e.g. "dinputwrapper.dll") and put the new name here
dinput8dllWrapper none
# dsmfix.dll

# D3D adapter override
# -1 = no override
# N = use adapter N
# this setting is for multiple (non-SLI/crossfire) GPUs
# everyone else should leave it at -1
d3dAdapterOverride -1

# Log level - 0 to 11, higher numbers mean more logging
# only enable for debugging
logLevel 0

# The settings below are not yet ready to use!!

# You can only set either forceFullscreen or forceWindowed (or neither)
# 0 = off, 1 = on
forceWindowed 0
forceFullscreen 0

# turn on/off Vsync
enableVsync 0
# adjust display refresh rate in fullscreen mode - this is NOT linked to FPS!
fullscreenHz 60

I was pretty skeptical too at the beginning, particularly since the signs of consoltardism are apparent right away (camera control remains a bit of a chore through out the entire game, but doesn't really brake the experience), but eventually i had to eat my shit. The game isn't great at everything, but what it does it does really well.

BTW, one of the reason the controls feel awkward at the beginning is probably because you are picking something like a knight or a class that begins with heavy armor, but doesn't have enough stamina to move around at full speed, so you feel sluggish and slow because you are encumbered by the weight. Take the armor off and move around a bit to get used to the controls, or pump your stamina to a point where the weight you are carrying is at least below 50% of your current maximum.

It seemed pretty railroady anyway.

The world is actually quite open, but keep in mind that this isn't an explorationfag game. Indeed, the pace of the game is very slow, almost methodical. You have to essentially inch your way bit by bit and the environment itself is as much of an enemy to you as the enemies you encounter, which is where the brilliance of the level design can be found for the most part (its best to try to pick up all the goodies you find just to get the most out of the level design), particularly since each area focuses on one specific trick or caveat so whenever you feel like you have mastered the game for going through a particularly difficult map you go back to being a retarded n00b whenever you enter a new area, which is great.

But basically, the game is better in execution than in concept, so you cannot really get a sense of how good it is by reading a description. It would like explaining why Doom is so great to somebody who has never played it before. You cannot explain why the game simply "feels" so good, you have to try for yourself. And the same is for Dark Souls. The basic elements of the game are top notch. The animations are well done, the move sets, both your own and those of the enemies you encounter are varied and creative, the levels are challenging and the designers showed a great deal of resourcefulness in the amount of tricks they were able to throw at you. Essentially, this is a game made by people who understood what games are supposed to be, which you'd think would be a given but is actually pretty rare in this day and age.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Yeah, first time I played DS, I played it till the second boss and couldn't understand what the fuss was about and dropped it. Tried again a few years later and made it further in the game and it's now one of my most favorite rpgs. You need to play a little longer to understand it I think.

Tehdagah

Arcane
If you like Doom then you should download Zandronum and play a fuckton of custom maps and mods online.

(...) Essentially, this is a game made by people who understood what games are supposed to be, which you'd think would be a given but is actually pretty rare in this day and age.
For people who understand what games are supposed to be, they have a lot of trouble understanding 3D camera placement :troll:

Zibniyat

Arcane
Not sure how you like total conversions, and I am not in a mood to explain or review stuff... but the last good game I've played (apart from that addiction Dominions 3 and 4) was Nehrim At Fate's Edge total conversion for Oblivion (Elder Scrolls IV). Its world, mythology and pretty much everything, with the obvious exception of the engine and art assets (though many are new), have nothing to do with either Elder Scrolls or Oblivion. Also, the sequel is under way as well, this time for Skyrim, and is literally the only game I am looking forward to playing, after not playing much for the last several years. There were other games as well in the same universe, for Morrowind, but I haven't played them, although the events of those prequels are often referenced.

Anyway, although it may be ill-advised to praise a game/mod with reference to Oblivion, especially for a potential popamole-lover like myself, Nehrim had substantially better plot, atmosphere, quests (although they were fewer), landscapes, and some seriously spectacularly built dungeons, with even mythology having internal consistency.

There are some philosophical elements as well, though pretty basic - or in other words - light years ahead of 99 % of games, even RPGs out there, though that doesn't say much. Without spoiling anything, I must say I didn't quite like how faith (of religion) was portrayed, as I've felt it was too direct, with too little subtlety and not much "objectivity" (too one-sided overall view of religious things).

Still, I have enjoyed it a lot, it was far better than Oblivion in, well in my opinion, every way. To the point actually, as I have said, that the sequel is very much the only new game I may play in the next 5 years... Also, one advice - do not read reviews, watch LPs, or anything, just download it and play.

So, like I said, this isn't a review, just my impression of the game, which doesn't guarantee you anything, but still... And yes, you need to buy Oblivion first. Nehrim has its own installer but it relies on some Oblivion's assets, as well as engine.

If you have Oblivion (best to have clear, non-modded install, but it isn't a requirement), links are:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nehrim-at-fates-edge/downloads (the mod)

Nehrim Creature Idles mod that fixes creature animations. The only "fix" you really need and that it doesn't interfere with mod's vision.

That's all from me.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom