Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

320x200 DOS games emulation: staying true to the artist's vision

Leechmonger

Arbiter
As many of you already know, many (most?) 320x200 resolution DOS games were programmed with 4:3 CRT monitors in mind. That is to say, when the developer wished to display a circle they would draw it such that it would look circular on a 4:3 CRT monitor, which used rectangular pixels instead of square ones. Since today's display technologies use fixed size, square pixels, you'd need to stretch the pixel vertically in order for the image to look the same with today's displays as they did in the 80s and 90s.

Specifically, you need to stretch each pixel vertically by a factor of 1.2. In a perfect world where you have a 1920x1200 monitor you just multiply every pixel horizontal by 5 and vertically by 6 thus turning the original 320x200 resolution into 1600x1200. If your display is 1920x1080, however, you don't have nice integers to work with so you have the following options:

1. Stretch some rows, but not others, such that it averages out to an overall picture stretch of 1.2. DOSBox does this with the "Aspect" option, and it's particularly awful if you try it at the game's native resolution. In order to stretch 320x200 to 320x240 DOSBox will duplicate every fifth row, resulting in felipepepe's favorite pirate: Kawaiibrush Weeaboo, seen in the middle example below.

Al4UJ4V.jpg

Things get better if you upscale to higher resolutions. To upscale by a factor of 4 (1280x800) and then stretch by 1.2 (1280x960), you can group the image into sets of 5 rows. 4 of those rows you scale by a factor of 5 and the fifth row you scale by a factor of 4. Horizontally you scale every pixel the same factor: 4. You'll end up with sets of pixels 24 tall and 20 wide: a 1.2 ratio. The shorter rows are only 20% smaller than the rest, as opposed to 50% in the first example.

2. Use interpolation. The original pixels will no longer be preserved (they will be blurred together) and again, the more you upscale the less noticeable it is.

3. Stretch by a factor more practical than 1.2, but still close to it. This preserves the original pixels but at the cost of aspect ratio accuracy. DOSBox ECE's "pixel perfect scaling" does this. For example, if upscaling by a factor of 4 (1280x800) and then stretching by 1.25 (1280x1000) one can simply multiply every pixel vertically by 5 and horizontally by 4. The resulting image will not have any artifacts but will be 4% taller than it should be.

4. Leave the aspect ratio alone and the characters fat.

It is interesting to note that sometimes the same game will present differently-shaped circles, only some of which will look right on a given display. In Monster Bash, for example, the artist that drew the moon in the Apogee splash screen made sure that it would look circular on the CRTs of the time. Whoever drew the targets in the difficulty select screen, however, did not. Therefore if you correct the aspect ratio using any of the methods above the moon will look right but the targets will not, and vice versa if you don't.

Those of you who have played DOS games extensively, how much importance do you place on replicating the game's original graphics? What fancy emulation options do you use? Or do you simply use 90s hardware instead?

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This post is familiar. Either you're plagiarizing - admittedly useful - posts, or you're the same person.

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I believe DOSbox ECE defaults to the proper 1600x1200, unless your monitor can't display it (or they've changed something). I play in 1600x1200 - there's some tearing, which is oddly comforting. These issues should go away now that we're in 2k+. Someone just needs to convince Mobygames to allow properly scaled screenshots.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I've always used DOSBox's built-in "fix aspect ratio" or whatever the command was called, and for none-DOSBox games my monitor has a built-in hardware "4:3 in Wide" mode (it's how I play QFG2VGA for example). I never noticed the vertical distortion like with Guybrush's eye but many times the proportions of things would seem a bit off without being able to put my finger exactly on why, and it would be nice to have as perfect an image as possible. Unfortunately my display is 1080p so the full stretch to 1600x1200 is out of the question. I think option #3 to 1280x1000 would work best for me, I hate blurring more than slight distortions so would never want to use interpolation.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Why do people care so much about the "artist's vision" like this? Artists fuck up their own shit all the time.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Why do people care so much about the "artist's vision" like this? Artists fuck up their own shit all the time.

No, gaywad millennials fuck up a true artist's shit. Like JJ Abrams or whoever made the Ghostbusterwymbyn movie.

The only artist that later fucked up his own shit was George Lucas.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
OK, and Ridley Scott kind of although he did say "lol its totally unconnected with Aliens" and then called the next movie Aliens anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom