Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News 25 second Dragon Age: Origins trailer is up

Chefe

Erudite
They sure put a lot of work into rendering the word "generic."

Shoelip

Arbiter
Don't be dumb Angler. There was a conspicuous lack of excessive bloom throughout the trailer. How is that generic?

feta

Novice
I could really promote a book named "battle for chastice" with the same vid tbh.

Attention, generic promotional crap detected. Now expecting generic crap game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Codex is a prestigious magazine. Shut up."

K. You win. :D

"Even the Bio fanboys were underwhelmed with the trailer:"

That's becauede they are selfish, moronic pieces of shitr who for some reason expect a 2 hour preview movie. LMAO

Fuckin' fuck dickdocks.

"not looking very good for DA, hype-wise."

Hype wise, it's going fantastic. L0L

bobisimo

Novice
Volourn said:
(BioFanBois are disappointed with the teaser) becauede they are selfish, moronic pieces of shitr who for some reason expect a 2 hour preview movie. LMAO

The fanbois are disappointed because they wanted even 30 seconds of gameplay but instead got 30 seconds highlighting the technical strength of the engine with a hint at the setting, story, and atmosphere.

Where does a teaser like this work?

If BioWare had never previously revealed Dragon Age and only written a curious note at the BioSite telling fans to check a specific site at a specific time - and, lo-and-behold, there appears a 30-second teaser to announce the game's official title and the aforementioned hints at setting, story, and atmosphere - I think in that context the fanbois would have thought that teaser was great. And the approval would have been upgraded to perfect had BioWare included the game's release window and a note referencing the website and the forums.

But that's not what happened. They announced the game years ago. We've seen screenshots and read about it in magazines and on the forums and so on. The game has won awards at E3. And after all that, within a year of release, we get this really introductory-esque teaser advertised as a trailer (yeah, I actually acknowledge a difference between a teaser and a trailer and I know at least some of those at BioWare do as well).

It's like the fish biting the hook with no line attached.

I love BioWare to death. And I personally enjoyed the teaser. However, I don't think BioWare has ever shown the ability to slowly-but-steadily build momentum toward the huge hype that accompanies a game release. I'm hoping their connection with EA, moving forward, helps there. They could use it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
L0L BIo's pimping of their games doens't really need help. No matter the publisher, they've got the job well enough. Even JE which sales wise wasn't up to the BG-NWN-KOTOR standards sold reasonably well.

Isn't it the Codex who whines that BIO's success is largely based on hype? L0L Now, people are whining ebcause BIo doesn't know how to hype, and they need 'help'.

The teaser trailer is fine. It is NOT BIO's fualt you ove rhyped yourself. they never promised a 2 hour video NOR a game play video.

A game play video will come when it is ready to be shown.

Dumbasses.

"becauede they are selfish, moronic pieces of shitr"

I stand by that statement, typos and all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Talking about yourself?"

I'm not one of the crybabies whining over a teaser trailer. LMAO

bobisimo

Novice
Volourn said:
BIo's pimping of their games doens't really need help.

I didn't say that they needed help hyping their games. I said that "I don't think BioWare has ever shown the ability to slowly-but-steadily build momentum toward the huge hype that accompanies a game release."

Volourn said:
Now, people are whining ebcause BIo doesn't know how to hype, and they need 'help'.

I am not the Codex. And I am not whining. :) I am merely making an observation that strikes me as accurate. Again, "I don't think BioWare has ever shown the ability to slowly-but-steadily build momentum toward the huge hype that accompanies a game release."

Volourn said:
The teaser trailer is fine. It is NOT BIO's fualt you ove rhyped yourself. they never promised a 2 hour video NOR a game play video.

I didn't over-hype myself. In fact I said that, as a teaser, what they released is fine. I actually think the teaser shows a fair bit. However, I do think the schedule structure of their "hype" building is poor. And in response to why the BioFanBois are upset, I think the marketing schedule structure is the culprit.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Re: Huh?

Foamhead said:
RainSong said:
another generic fantasy rpg from bioware? who cares?

What do you mean "another"? The only other fantasy they have done was their Dungeons and Dragons games, both of which are highly acclaimed.
Yeah, the highly acclaimed NWN OC was awesome and felt generic in no way. But you said "both". Ah, you mean the highly acclaimed KotOR. Which was awesome too, but it only used the fantastic D&D ruleset. It wasn't a D&D game.

Hory

Erudite
Shoelip said:
Don't be dumb Angler. There was a conspicuous lack of excessive bloom throughout the trailer. How is that generic?
Only because they haven't figured out how to use bloom during night scenes.

Mareus

Magister
Why is anyone not commenting the music? The trailer looks nice and few issues like the big shoulder pads are not a big deal. Screw the bloom and the lotr comparisons. The music is really bad. It doesn't contribute to the atmosphere and because of it the whole trailer is like those yummy looking cakes which leave an empty taste in your mouth after you try them.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Mareus said:
Why is anyone not commenting the music? The trailer looks nice and few issues like the big shoulder pads are not a big deal. Screw the bloom and the lotr comparisons. The music is really bad. It doesn't contribute to the atmosphere and because of it the whole trailer is like those yummy looking cakes which leave an empty taste in your mouth after you try them.

I didn't notice the music at all. Was there music?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Now, one day after watching this trailer I can't really remember anything except the oversized shoulder pads.

Whatever bioware was trying to do with this trailer, I think they've failed. Now, 4 years after the game was announced people want something more meaty than this, and if they can't give us that they'd be better off doing nothing. I really hope bioware will release some concrete information soon, or the hype campaign for dragon age will collapse before it get's started.

Murk

Arcane
haha people think the big shoulder pads are an issue? i poked fun at it but it'd hardly stop me from enjoying a game

Self-Ejected

Wilco

Self-Ejected
Decent trailer, it's obviously trying to capitalise on the 'Lord of the Rings' look. I don't mind that...
Shoulder Pads are really excessive

The fact that they attached "Origins" to the title now makes me think of the EA's motto "Milk it till it's dry"...

J1M

Arcane
Where's Gaider now? I figured he would be here defending how awesome it was that the majorly hyped trailer was 25 seconds long and showed no gameplay.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It was 4 damn years since the announcement of DA. What was the point in the teaser trailer anyway?

"more at July 9" oh yeah sure. That's some more info about DA all right in all these 4 years. Bioware even fails at hype.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom