Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News 25 second Dragon Age: Origins trailer is up

aries202

Erudite
Is it me or does this -ehm- trailer seem to suggest that the game might be just (another) RTS/RPG hybrid :?: Sorry for the icon, but if that's the case I'm shocked. I thought Bioware were making a real solid RPG game this time, not another hybrid-game.

I know plenty of you want to be able to engange in big battles where you defned you keep or something like you did once or twice in BG2. Me, personally, I hated doing this. Why? you ask. I have no good reason for it; it is just an intuive thing, I feel.

Or maybe Bioware has decided to go all the way back to the beginning of D&D, even before D&D were invented :?: In those times battles were fought on battefiled; you had canons and such - in D&D first edition. Rumoour also has it that the canera is being totally revamped; when you're wandering around you will have an OTS-camera while in battles you will have an RTS isometric top dowm view. Could it mean that the combat in Dragon Age will be true turnbased combat yet again??

NiM82

Prophet
Loads of RPG's have big ass battles in their trailers but don't feature army scale combat, take ToEE.

Why are so many assuming that will be the case here?

kris

Arcane
Dark Individual said:
Didn't like the overdone handsome, blond paladin with huge, easily penetrable shoulder pads armor.

I'd approve this more if he looked more like me. He have way to long girly hair. Hopefully that big ass demon cuts his hair and he comes back as a more upgraded blond warrior like character.

Video tells very little. we can see that there are some ugly "Orcs" and some "demon" leader. We can see that there is a battle and that the royal army storms the invaders instead of sitting safe behind their walls. + for bravery - for intelligence.

Foamhead

Educated
Huh?

RainSong said:
another generic fantasy rpg from bioware? who cares?

What do you mean "another"? The only other fantasy they have done was their Dungeons and Dragons games, both of which are highly acclaimed.

kris

Arcane
aries202 said:
Is it me or does this -ehm- trailer seem to suggest that the game might be just (another) RTS/RPG hybrid :?: Sorry for the icon, but if that's the case I'm shocked. I thought Bioware were making a real solid RPG game this time, not another hybrid-game.

I am sure it will be a 3-4 party game. somehow I errenously had a image in my mind that it would be isometric, don't know why.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Re: Huh?

Foamhead said:
What do you mean "another"? The only other fantasy they have done was their Dungeons and Dragons games, both of which are highly acclaimed.

Acclaimed? Not here. You're not in Kansas anymore.

aries202

Erudite
NiM82 said:
Loads of RPG's have big ass battles in their trailers but don't feature army scale combat, take ToEE.

Why are so many assuming that will be the case here?

Yeah, I complete forgot about ToEE's intro movie...

There are also several large scale battles in the Baldur's Gate games come to think of it.

Anyway, what do you suppose the Blight is? And how does our character fits into all this...

I'm pretty sure it would be 3-4 (or more) party game. I'm also fairly sure that the game will feature an OTS camera while exploring and the RTS-isometric camera when in combat. [I'm saying fairly sure since I can't remember this right now...]

Murk

Arcane
^ all that was confirmed i believe, a top down available camera as well as a 4 man party

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:
MAAAARCH TO HELM'S DEEP! LEAVE NONE ALIVE!

It could be clearly heard in that video.
king.jpg

So it begins.

NiM82

Prophet
Maybe they will have Legolas style "shield surfing" as an extreme skill for ranger type characters. How awesome would that be!

ricolikesrice

Arcane

didnt like the trailer, still more likely to buy the game as of now..... because of the toolset mention.

i m not a huge fan of bioware s games but thanks to the toolset NWN1 was worth every cent of it and more...... something i couldnt claim of Kotor, JE or ME if i had actually bought them instead of playing them on a friends console.

just hope the art direction and game mechanics are at least mediocre because in oblivions case even a toolset couldnt help the game because such a toolset still needs at least mediocre content to be formed into something great, where turning shit into gold is much harder, no matter how great the toolset might be.

knowing bioware usually produces (for my tastes) at least mediocre games i m faithfull though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Acclaimed? Not here. You're not in Kansas anymore."

Codex is irrelevant.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Acclaimed? Not here. You're not in Kansas anymore."

Codex is irrelevant.
So you are trying to say that here in Codex, the Codex is irrelevant?
That's some reasoning there.

WalterKinde

Scholar
I know its a RPG but did they have to rip off the battle of helms deep from The Two Towers?
They could have at least shown the intro movie you will see once you start a new game or something.

spiwak

Novice
The big deal isn't even that it's yet another fantasy RPG whatever, but more that the trailer is just awful. Because of this, we make fun of it's obvious "inspirations".

In any case, the Codex irrelevant? Maybe in terms of the mainstream audience, but the fact that we have developers from quite a few of the major RPG studios posting every now and then leads me to believe that, while makers aren't exactly aiming their projects at us, they at least know and/or care about us to some extent.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The shoulder pads are ridiculous. That was really the only thing that stood out. Otherwise the trailer seemed rather lacklustre and mediocre to me.

The best thing I could get from it is a certain hope that we'll be able to fight some really big battles.

sabishii

Arbiter
Eh, the "trailer" didn't help my ambivalence about the game at all. They might as well not have shown it.

I guess the only complaint I'd have is that the armor neither looked realistic nor looked good fantasy-wise. Looked like it was from a kiddie cartoon or something. But this complaint is just about as useless as the trailer, as I'll still play the game if it's good despite such minor cosmetic details.

aboyd

Liturgist
Re: ...

ricolikesrice said:
just hope the art direction and game mechanics are at least mediocre because in oblivions case even a toolset couldnt help the game because such a toolset still needs at least mediocre content to be formed into something great, where turning shit into gold is much harder, no matter how great the toolset might be.
Yeah, while Obsidian tends to be inspired but flawed, Bioware tends to be workmanlike and functional. If you're buying the game for the toolset, then you want workmanlike and functional.

Of course, if you're buying for the OC, then you want something inspired, which I doubt will be the case here.

Globbi

Augur
What is it with the "Origins?", I never heared of it. Haven't read about this game for some time though.

The problem is that ep1c lotr is what people want. I don't imagine that Jade empire sold too well compared to the established franchises that Bio worked on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom