Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2017/09/27 - Mask of the Betrayer is now a decade old.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Happy 10-year birthday to the first Obsidian Entertainment game released that wasn't an unfinished mess, and the one that proved they were a worthy successor to Black Isle Studios.

If you haven't done so yet, feel free to read the interviews with Kevin Saunders and George Ziets on irontowerstudio.com about the design process on MotB:

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=468.0
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=467.0

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Happy birthday to one of the best campaigns in gaming! What better way to celebrate than to remake it in an isometric style and a less shitty engine? :smug:

Question: was I the only person that couldn't get the souls of all these witches inside the covenant? :'(

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Question: was I the only person that couldn't get the souls of all these witches inside the covenant? :'(
No it was a real problem, because some of them would shapeshift into treants and then you couldn't devour them. Terrible bug, rly. The best chance to get as many as possible was Favored Soul to get as many castings as possible of Word of Faith and keep them constantly stunned, yet I guess 7 essences or so was the max I ever got.

Lacrymas

Arcane
You only need 5 to create the Eyes of the Coven, though. 2 of them create the Lesser Eyes of the Coven. I suppose if you want to equip yourself with the Eyes and Kaelyn and Gann with the Lesser ones you'd need all 9, but eh.

Citizen

and now to skullfuck people who claim that the hunger mechanic was a bother

The spirit meter was the best thing possible to prevent restscumming in a d&d game. It perfectly fitted into the story, made the game feel more fast paced (as it should be, you're truying to save your own soul, after all) and supported different playstyles. The IE games ability to rest anytime with little to no consequences is killing me, playing IWD2, I just can't resist the urge to press the damned button after every encounter.

Also resting in every dialogue. "Would you mind if we rested here" :negative:

Cael

Arcane
Best thing about MotB? Limited number of companions that actually have ties to the story. Not like the original campaign where you can only take 1/3 of all the possible companions along and half of them are not even tied to the storyline, just along for the hell of it whom most people would have put to the sword long before their openly telegraphed and inevitable betrayal (Bishop, I am looking at you). Granted, you have to increase the party limit to get all of them coming along with you in MotB, but 1 extra guy tagging along is a lot less disruptive than 8.

laclongquan

Arcane
and now to skullfuck people who claim that the hunger mechanic was a bother

The spirit meter was the best thing possible to prevent restscumming in a d&d game. It perfectly fitted into the story, made the game feel more fast paced (as it should be, you're truying to save your own soul, after all) and supported different playstyles. The IE games ability to rest anytime with little to no consequences is killing me, playing IWD2, I just can't resist the urge to press the damned button after every encounter.

Also resting in every dialogue. "Would you mind if we rested here" :negative:

Eh, a simple summon spell to call for a spirit wolf (?) then suppress it is all it take. I dont remember much but spirit meter is simple to deal with. Anyone saying otherwise is just a plain noob.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
that wasn't an unfinished mess
Act 3 is very much unfinished and rushed, like they crumpled the content intended for acts 3-5 into a single act 3 and barely had the time and budget to make it coherent.
Still, acts 1 & 2 are good enough I suppose.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
And I still hate that hunger mechanics to the bone. Like a timer upon your head, going tick-tock-tick-tock, you can start quests around this location but you have N minutes until you have to go feeding. If there is something I absolutely hate it is time mechanics, even Fallout 1 water chip was disgusting enough and only a lot of time for made Fallout 1 enjoyable for me. But for MotB it ruined game experience for me. Then, I managed to turn it off via console\trainer and game became one of the most entertaining RPG experiences for me.
Even George Zeits said he regreted keeping hunger mechanics as it was and should he had a chance he'd change it.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I still think it feels like an unfinished mess towards the end.

But it was definitely the one that at least felt somewhat finished.

Cael

Arcane
I still think it feels like an unfinished mess towards the end.

But it was definitely the one that at least felt somewhat finished.
Are you talking MotB or the OC? The OC was an unfinished mess towards the end. MotB didn't feel like it...

Lacrymas

Arcane
After talking to Myrkul it kind of declines, the Crusade waiting for you at the gates is also an ass-pull the reasons for were cut.
As far as I understand you had to go talk to the 3 commanders and convince them to make another Crusade. The siege itself is also kind of underwhelming.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The C&C in the last act (circumstances in maps changing based on what order you do them in, with no best-outcome-in-all-circumstances way to go through it) is great.

Also Ziets confirmed that Mask had very little cut content (just a pointless sidequest involving the theater in Mulsantir). If you're upset about how you couldn't tear down the wall, they never even considered that as an option in the first place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom