Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2013: The Year in Review

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: bitComposer; Chaos Chronicles; Divinity: Original Sin; Expeditions: Conquistador; Kickstarter; Paper Sorcerer; Shadowrun Returns; South Park: The Stick of Truth; The Year in Review; THQ; Wasteland 2

Do you enjoy reminiscing? Looking back on years past as if the years that followed them hadn't happened yet? Well, since everything in 2013 got postponed, we thought it gave us the perfect excuse to postpone the 2013 Year in Review.

Until now. We look back on the games that were released:

... and finally, not forgetting (even though I actually did and Infinitron had to remind me) Expeditions: Conquistador. In a sign of the year that 2013 was, it first got delayed until February 28, before being postponed, then publishers getting involved (note bitComposer, we have more on them later), drama with publisher being resolved before game being released and reviewed.​

... the games that weren't:

Moving on to other legal stoushes and stories of inanity from 2013, we have Chaos Chronicles. It was supposed to be a turn-based, old-school, classic... and other buzzwords we like to hear... RPG under development by CorePlay. It started the year by putting its official forums on the Codex.

And it was all downhill from there.​

... the publishers that died:

... and they died. THQ that is, not Trey Parker or Matt Stone. The remains of the company were acquired by UbiSoft which, after some concern about what kind of limbo the game would end up in, did confirm they would complete the game.​

... the delays:

If 2012 was the year that gave rise to the KickStarter, then 2013 was the year of delayed incline. For all those who thought release dates for KickStarter projects of just one year later were a tad optimistic, you were right, as several major projects got delayed.​

... the birth of Steam Early Access:

Long-time gamers would know that video games don't get finished, they just get released. Often in a horribly buggy and unfinished state that then requires multiple follow-up patches. In many cases, the game fails to sell enough copies, the patches never materialise (or some legal road block from the publisher gets in the way) and that's the end of that. You'll take your buggy unplayable piece of shit and you'll like it.

Not so anymore! 2013 finally saw the year when the standard industry model... actually became the standard industry model. And it pretty much happened that quickly.​

... and more!

It may give you a weird feeling reading it now since we talk about games "slated for a 2014 release" that have been out for months. But come with us now, on a journey through time and space, back to 2013.

turul

Augur
... the birth of Steam Early Access:

Long-time gamers would know that video games don't get finished, they just get released. Often in a horribly buggy and unfinished state that then requires multiple follow-up patches. In many cases, the game fails to sell enough copies, the patches never materialise (or some legal road block from the publisher gets in the way) and that's the end of that. You'll take your buggy unplayable piece of shit and you'll like it.

Not so anymore! 2013 finally saw the year when the standard industry model... actually became the standard industry model. And it pretty much happened that quickly.​

It's the major reason I stopped browsing Steam. Unbearable. I need to know what game is released and I search for that title only.

It's becoming like Netflix. The sewage pit of the shittiest movies ever made

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As much of a mixed bag 2013 was, it was still better for CRPGs than 2012. And it looks like 2014 will surpass it with games like D:OS and Shadowrun Returns being improved upon by Shadowrun: Dragonfall, and so on. So maybe we are witnessing incline after all.

Absalom

As much I would like to shitpost I find myself honestly not remembering anything about 2013 (At least in regards to CRPG's :kingcomrade:)

Morkar Left

DarkUnderlord
Somehow I really like your introductions to your articles, too.
The link to South Park is actually linking to a codex news message for Shadwrun Returns. Therefore it's missing from who the quote to South Park is (maybe you should mention it in the article anyway regardless of a proper link).

2013 has it all: drama and action. Except rpgs, they are really missing.

And DU is using complicated words: proselytization. Never heard of that word before.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Morkar: Fixed the link. And as for proselytization, hey, I'm just quoting our review.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm pleased to see Dragon Commander didn't even get a token mention.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
2013 in review:

CyberP joined and blessed the community with pure incline.
DarkUnderlord was caught jacking off to Codex Star Stable playthroughs.
A load of shit games were released as is standard.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I love these year summaries, they are always great to read.
I wish DU wrote more content for the site, by the way.

Weasel
2013 in review:

CyberP joined and blessed the community with pure incline.

NfPA718.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
*looks at calendar*

*polishes monocle*
I said it all the way back in June:
On the bright side, since everything got postponed, this gives you an excellent opportunity to also postpone the Year In Review :troll:
Of course I meant this as a justification for having it in June, not the year after, but whatever works.

As Micro said it was a great read and I wish DU wrote mote content. I miss the DU wall-of-text reviews ranting about everything up to and including how many splash screens there are and which ones are skippable.

Fireblade

Erudite
Avadon 2's missing from the list but did come out in 2013. Sadly, the year was so bad it may have been one of the highlights.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It was a nice piece of content. DU should write more, and should definately post 2014 fairly soon. The year of incline should not be delayed!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom