Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2.5D RPGs: Do you prefer a roof over your head?

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Roofs, Arcanum way.

mondblut

Arcane
Roof as a form of fog of war is fine. It is there until you peek inside, then it is gone forever and never obscures your sight or gets in the way of your actions.

Also, while I am there - fuck isometry. Talk about killing convenience and usability for the sake of eyecandy.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Roof. Yes.

Sneaking and peeking inside from openings would be cool though. See Underrail, it has some great ideas.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
+1 for a roof as long as it fades or pops out when necessary.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I think the last game I played without roofs was the first or second Eschalon. It took a lot away see whats inside every building. No sense of wondering what was in that unreachable building, could just kind of take a look.

DraQ

Arcane
Do people actually prefer their 2.5D games sans roofs, or is this just a case of people who can't be bothered to put a few extra occlusion checks in their code?
Shitty hacks making sloppy games? Why, I would never have guessed.
+M
Roofs, Arcanum way.
Arcanum way as in "hurr, we cannot into multi-story buildings"?
:M
Ok, at least it did have roofs, that's always something, but it was notoriously shitty with them - no higher floors, flat roofs in Tarant, etc.

Roof as a form of fog of war is fine. It is there until you peek inside, then it is gone forever and never obscures your sight or gets in the way of your actions.
So you want a permanent wallhack if you ever peek into a building? Why would you know what happens inside if you don't have anyone peeking there at any moment?
:M

Also, while I am there - fuck isometry. Talk about killing convenience and usability for the sake of eyecandy.
It's a viable way to portray z-axis. I have nothing against top down but it makes seeing whether a character stands on top of ground floor building or a multi-floor skyscraper problematic.

You can have shadows, but they are not as universally reliable and happen to be more demanding in terms of eyecandy.

On the upside you get freedom to design your areas any way you please without worrying about occlusion.
FPP is even better for that, though.
:martini:

mondblut

Arcane
So you want a permanent wallhack if you ever peek into a building? Why would you know what happens inside if you don't have anyone peeking there at any moment?

What do you mean, "happens inside"? It's an RPG. Once the player has visited a house, nothing happens inside any longer. Loot is looted, quests are taken, NPCs, if alive, are wandering around pointlessly.

Severian Silk

roofs that disappear when you're inside or peeking

Ladonna

Arcane
It depends on the system.

If you use a system like Jagged Alliance 2/Silent Storm, then roofs at the top level, with no roofs if you scale the levels down.

Apart from that, roofs look nice I guess...it isn't a game breaker either way for me.

No Great Name

Arcane
already mentioned arcanum.

Shadowrun while not having roofs got fog of war. One can peek in without opening door by hacking cameras from time to time. Passable in environment without windows...
I don't remember being able to do that in Arcanum.

Also, are you talking about the newer Shadowrun games?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
That sounds neat. Do you know of any other game that does that?
Jagged Alliance 2, although not technically an RPG, uses the characters' field of view to show interiors. Also, crouched and prone mercs are not able to see through windows if they are too close.

I'm in favor of roofs if they properly fade away.

DraQ

Arcane
What do you mean, "happens inside"? It's an RPG. Once the player has visited a house, nothing happens inside any longer. Loot is looted, quests are taken, NPCs, if alive, are wandering around pointlessly.
Now imagine a game where shit could happen without being directly caused by player instead of it being just a static freeze frame for player to romp about.
:hearnoevil:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obviously, more detail is better as long as it doesn't interfere with gameplay. Honestly though I've never played a roofless game and found myself crying, "Where are the roofs??" ... but there have certainly been times when roofs and walls have obscured things my characters should have been able to see. The tiny vision bubble around my character in Fallout often seemed insufficient. And in Dead State roofs would only undraw if you went inside, meaning if you were standing outside a building it was possible for a guy just inside to be shooting you even though you (the player) couldn't see him at all. Elhoim :argh:

So I'm going to be contrary and say no roofs by default, because lack of roofs can't screw up gameplay. Roofs only if you do them well.

Now imagine a game where shit could happen without being directly caused by player instead of it being just a static freeze frame for player to romp about.

What could happen that would make the fog-of-war roof matter, though? Not being able to see friendly NPCs walking around the house from the garden isn't an issue ("Fuck, the maid was here in the main hall, I forgot to ask her about something...oh, here she is, in the kitchen."). As for hostiles, I only see it being a factor if you are attacking a building from the outside (instead of baiting them out or entering the building yourself).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom