Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

2.5D RPGs: Do you prefer a roof over your head?

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
I'm not sure I remember when I last played a traditional 2.5D RPG that actually bothered putting roofs on its buildings. The Spiderweb games, Eschalon, even this years weird janky stuff like Balrum, all just have head high walls representing their buildings.

Yet, when I think back to the classic 2.5D games, your Ultimas and your Fallouts, having a roof was more or less standard issue:

u7_mutny.gif

fallout2-620x.jpg

And of course 3D rendered games don't seem to even think being roofless is an option. Do people actually prefer their 2.5D games sans roofs, or is this just a case of people who can't be bothered to put a few extra occlusion checks in their code?

stray

Learned
I guess I prefer? Unless it's a bunch of dungeon crawls obviously.

Courtier

Prophet
Semi-recent isometric games with roofs that come to mind are Wasteland 2, PoE, Dead State, AoD, SiTS and AntharioN, and I think that only having it see-through when you've actually entered the building is indeed the way to go. And there's no need to say, make all entrances face the same way on account of that either. Players can figure out where doorways are. Maybe it's just convenient for some devs to leave that stuff out, but having actual buildings to look at adds to the experience. I don't think the workload should be an excuse though, recent games have had tiny teams with a handful of devs create entire roofed cities (e.g. SiTS ranging from ramshackle settler huts to large impressively domed Consil buildings).

Neanderthal

Arcane
Roof, with the proviso that it and any upper levels disappear when you're underneath them, having a whale of a time in the Black Gate right now but that obscured view on north and west can be a pain in arse sometimes. Thought Fallout did it just about right.

pippin

Can't wait to discuss the lack of toilets in RPGs...

Again, the Fallout series has toilets everywhere. Even 3.
Turns out the real question is not "what do they eat?", it's "where do they shit?"

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Roof, with the proviso that it and any upper levels disappear when you're underneath them, having a whale of a time in the Black Gate right now but that obscured view on north and west can be a pain in arse sometimes.

There's a readable in U7 (that can be found in Minoc at least) that "explains" the slant of houses somewhat with some pseudo-fantasy mumbo jumbo.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Can't wait to discuss the lack of toilets in RPGs...

I thought shitters were an accepted part of RPG design, we're always going down sewers so I always mapped out bogs an all. One of my Thief characters loved to drink in guard pubs, dose their ale with a laxative and take advantage of their nipping to loo rob the place blind, good strategy really.

There's a readable in U7 (that can be found in Minoc at least) that "explains" the slant of houses somewhat with some pseudo-fantasy mumbo jumbo.

Yeah I were halfway through reading that before I realised that devs were taking piss out of emselves and engine, had a chuckle got to admit. When played as a kid I never got that, then again I think I missed half of the content until now. And there's a lot of fucking content, don't know how they squeezed this down to a few megabytes, especially considering how much bigger, alive and more reactive it is than most modern RPGs.

Mustawd

Again, the Fallout series has toilets everywhere. Even 3.
Turns out the real question is not "what do they eat?", it's "where do they shit?"

Of course the modern (Deus Ex) and apocalyptic (Fallout) games have them. with fantasy you can always hand wave it away.."Meh, they shit in the woods. It's medieval type times"

Does shadowrun have them?

pippin

Dragonfall has toilet rooms. Haven't played Hong Kong yet.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Now... I dont recall anything in Witcher 3... I need to lower my personal rating of that game... Or maybe there is a mod for that?
Witcher 3 does have toilets. Well, outhouses. There's even a funny event at the baron's place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom