Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking 1eyedking's List of Games Full of Tasteful Art Direction

Forgotten Friend

Educated
Maybe it spins because they are using the spinning to simulate gravity, like they do on every space station ever made.

Maybe the random bits are fuel and oxygen cells are kept outside the livable components to keep from a horrible catastrophe, like on ever space station made to date. Maybe that's why the engines are kept off it too.

Maybe it's modular because it is really hard to make the individual pieces, again like every, well you get the idea.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
No way, IE RTwP is unplayable, PS:T is the only game worth playing, due to the relatively low amount of forced clusterfuck combat and excellent everything else.​
Pause is your friend. Also, how far did you get into PST?
Played through twice, and yes, pause was my friend for the combat, pretty much just kept Morte/Dak'kon in melee and ran with everyone else while throwing out the occasional spell. It sucked but there wasn't that much so I stuck with it (well, until Curst Underground, but by that point I really wanted to see how things played out so I slogged through). IWD is the only other IE game I played and I used a similar strategy with my two fighters, however due to the fact that combat was coming in at a ridiculously annoying pace, I stopped before finishing chapter 1. I played ToEE just before it, so maybe going from the brilliant TB-tactical to IE RTwP was what made it unplayable.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If you can endure PS:T IE combat you can endure any IE combat. PS:T is easily the worst of the IE's combat-wise, partly due to the reduced overview and partly due to spell-animations.

DraQ

Arcane
Intellectually bankrupt? I love it when people in this forum run out of arguments.
Like you when saying that FO2 > FO1 (in terms of art direction), then neglecting to provide any rationale?
Yeah, I "love" that too.
For fuck's sake the game you quoted plays slower than a fucking sedative.
Spastic ADHD mouthbreather detected.

As for the ship itself, it's pretty generic in a bad way. It's not even industrial, DraQ, it reeks 'fashion design statement' all over it: random spinning stuff for no apparent reason
Centrifuge is pretty handy when you would otherwise spend months in microgravity. Especially when you don't just need it for health reasons, but are, for example a commando and have to keep in top physical shape.

Meanwhile in Doom3:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9063691826467166187
An example of good and plausible ship design (in the eye of 1ek, at least).
:lol:

And yeah, I know it's a mod, but the ship is 100% vanilla and you can see it clearly from all sides this way to better admire thought put into the design, like lack of pointless segmentation (especially on the base of the wings), lack of pointless shit (like stubby, helicopter-like wings incapable of producing significant lift on Earth, let alone Mars), pair of huge dorsal thrusters (without doubt they are there to counteract Mars' strong antigravity field), or hardcore tube crash frame thoughtfully added in front of the canopy in case that the only cluster of small, splayed thrusters (it's not like the ship needs substantial downwards thrust for liftoff and landing, no, but it needs a huge pair of thrusters pointing upwards) on the underside of the ship will inevitably tip it over and send it into a nosedive as Newton would predict due to them being located all the way to the back.

Anyone still wonders why 1ek chose this particular nick?
Here's a hint:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lir9f0JvJl1qhcky7o1_400.jpg
Just add a crown.

Anyway, since I enjoy toying with retards before finishing them off, explain to me:
-How is fallout 2 better than 1 in terms of art direction?
-Why does Azar Javed in Witcher 1 (second encounter) fight dual wielding totem poles (with hafts too thick to actually be grasped by a human) that exceed any derpy overscaled weapon in FFVII and DA2 and can only be rivalled by Tauren totem poles from World of Warcrap?
-Explain functionality of this kind of armour (for bonus points expound on benefits of having one's pubes tangled in mail loincloth):
WhiteRayla.jpg

(I actually like Witcher and it has good art direction most of the time, but when it went retard, it went FULL retard).

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Anyway, since I enjoy toying with retards before finishing them off, explain to me:
-How is fallout 2 better than 1 in terms of art direction?
-Why does Azar Javed in Witcher 1 (second encounter) fight dual wielding totem poles (with hafts too thick to actually be grasped by a human) that exceed any derpy overscaled weapon in FFVII and DA2 and can only be rivalled by Tauren totem poles from World of Warcrap?
-Explain functionality of this kind of armour (for bonus points expound on benefits of having one's pubes tangled in mail loincloth):
WhiteRayla.jpg

(I actually like Witcher and it has good art direction most of the time, but when it went retard, it went FULL retard).

o_O

What?

I don't know the character but isn't this kind of armor design a way to state that the character is above the need of a functional armor? Like he is too badass to be bothered.
Also DraQ, if you read the novels, is there any relation to this kind of retarded character and the book characters?

DraQ

Arcane
I don't know the character but isn't this kind of armor design a way to state that the character is above the need of a functional armor? Like he is too badass to be bothered.
Also DraQ, if you read the novels, is there any relation to this kind of retarded character and the book characters?
In the books no one was too badass to not be bothered by stuff like disembowelment or cut arteries. At best characters could be badass enough to not use any armour worth of mention, at least in single combat and rely on parries and dodges OR magical prowess. They often died when they turned out to be insufficiently badass after all. They would definitely not use impractical armour that would offer significant hindrance, but not protection. Some characters clothed themselves provocatively, but I can't think of a single one that would armour herself provocatively.

The character is one of the signifcant (and quite badass) NPCs after getting effectively almost revived and mutated by the big bad. Her derpy armour was probably the lowest point of the entire game.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
In the books no one was too badass to not be bothered by stuff like disembowelment or cut arteries. At best characters could be badass enough to not use any armour worth of mention, at least in single combat and rely on parries and dodges OR magical prowess. They often died when they turned out to be insufficiently badass after all. They would definitely not use impractical armour that would offer significant hindrance, but not protection. Some characters clothed themselves provocatively, but I can't think of a single one that would armour herself provocatively.

The character is one of the signifcant (and quite badass) NPCs after getting effectively almost revived and mutated by the big bad. Her derpy armour was probably the lowest point of the entire game.

Than it's a pity, because I was interested in The Witcher setting I'm a big sucker on pagan-like/tradition lore...I assume the lore is inspired by the west slavic mythology (czech-polish) but I think I'm better off reading the books, I suppose. I mean, I can stomach some pretty big derpy things but the combat kind of put me down when I tried a couple of years ago.

Would you suggest the books? Did you check the English translation and would you say it's a good one?

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
If you can endure PS:T IE combat you can endure any IE combat. PS:T is easily the worst of the IE's combat-wise, partly due to the reduced overview and partly due to spell-animations.
Those fucking spell animations were infuriating! IIRC you couldn't even skip viewing them.

Dark Matter

Prophet
From the current generation of games, I think the Assassins Creed series and Red Dead Redemption really stand out in terms of good art direction.

deuxhero

Arcane
Pretty sure the chick in The Witcher picture is an insane rejected mutant. It's like expecting a zombie to wear proper armor.

DraQ

Arcane
Than it's a pity, because I was interested in The Witcher setting I'm a big sucker on pagan-like/tradition lore...I assume the lore is inspired by the west slavic mythology (czech-polish) but I think I'm better off reading the books, I suppose. I mean, I can stomach some pretty big derpy things but the combat kind of put me down when I tried a couple of years ago.

Would you suggest the books? Did you check the English translation and would you say it's a good one?
The game is pretty good, so are the books - not exactly high brow literature, but still way above generic pop fantasy excreted in volumes by hack writers.

The setting is generally a generic fantasy gone real and effectively really crapsack, though there is some decent original lore as well, it's just it's more of a deconstruction and take-on, than fully original world.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Those fucking spell animations were infuriating! IIRC you couldn't even skip viewing them.
I liked how it paused during spell casting, kept things less chaotic. :M

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

The game is pretty good, so are the books - not exactly high brow literature, but still way above generic pop fantasy excreted in volumes by hack writers.

The setting is generally a generic fantasy gone real and effectively really crapsack, though there is some decent original lore as well, it's just it's more of a deconstruction and take-on, than fully original world.

And English translation of Dukaj's Ice is supposed to be released in June 2012. It is only then that the potential of potato genre-fiction will be measured.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2

And English translation of Dukaj's Ice is supposed to be released in June 2012. It is only then that the potential of potato genre-fiction will be measured.

When I go back home I will give The Witcher another spin, then, especially if the books are not yet translated.
DraQ you said that the lore is generic fantasy, but I vaguely remeber that some of the monsters like the fishies remind me of the vodjanoj, that is why I assumed it would be different than the common high fantasy setting.
Honestly I enjoy the way witchers become witchers and the way they are treated by people, it is fairly realistic.

DraQ

Arcane
DraQ you said that the lore is generic fantasy, but I vaguely remeber that some of the monsters like the fishies remind me of the vodjanoj, that is why I assumed it would be different than the common high fantasy setting.
Well, there are Slavic accents (more in game than in books), but the core concept is generic Tolkien derived, D&D like world someone hit hard with realism and cynicism. You have D&Dish elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings (with some twists). You have cliched ecologist druids and so on (both books and games include not all that covert punches thrown at contemporary issues, btw.) and so on. Sure there is original lore, history and mythology built into the world (and it's actually pretty good), sure the universe is fairly low magic and magic in general is pretty controlled to minimize ripple effects but the core parts of the universe are recognizable to anyone who knows of D&D. Then you take this D&D and shift it heavily towards cynical, rather than heroic end of the scale and make it into a realistic, dark and crapsack world - this is the primary strength of Witcherverse.

I'd definitely give both the game and books a spin (I don't know if the translation is good), I know that at least some books have been translated already.

1eyedking

Erudite
Update:
Added a couple of games to the list (RAGE, Inquisitor).
Removed some.

You can now rest easily Codex, this is still the best "best games ever" list ever compiled.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
As much as I hated Rage as a game, that sky texture is simply fucking amazing.

1eyedking

Erudite
To be honest, RAGE shouldn't have been a shooter game. Its way too frantic pace made people miss the really awe inpsiring moments it can deliver from its fantastic desolate environments.

If you play the game slowly, with a watchful eye, you can have one hell of a time. It may not deliver as much satisfaction as a game through-and-through (as X-COM might, for example), but visually I haven't played to date a game so enthralling.

RAGE is filled with little places were I would have loved to sit down and let my thoughts ramble about. You know, some dark corner in a decrepit factory where only dust and rust have made it their residence. There's something very melancholic about abandoned buildings (facilities in particular), and this game manages to capture it all too well.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Holy fucking shit, all the shitty fucking popamole shooters in the world and he goes with Carmack's abortion :lol:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
You should really put Counter-strike on the real list.

Also Starcraft 2 multiplayer is pretty fucking good too. Single player is dogshit compared to Starcraft. But yeah everyone and their mother knows that i guess.

1eyedking

Erudite
I really don't expect people to understand the list, particularly games like DOOM 3 and RAGE. But maybe, just maybe, there's some special kind of nerd out there on a very destructive quest of self-discovery that may find it handy.

I didn't find out how much those two actually delivered in terms of visual and immersive appeal until very late in my path of becoming artistically aware.

Which sounds grandiose but it was really just sitting down and playing a bunch of computer games, staring for hours at melancholic romantic paintings, reading obscure literature and listening to depressive music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom