Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The thing that's really weird though? Bethesda has spent BIG money getting top-notch writers in to try and improve their writing (getting Brian from V:TmB was one well-known example, but there's been a whole stream of them - it's clear that they've known it's a weakness and have been desperately trying to improve it for 10 years now). And they've consistently failed, to the point where almost all of their big-money writing hires do one game, then leave for far less certain job prospects and definitely lesser pay.

That tells me that there's something truly structurally wrong with their writing development. That it isn't just a matter of intent - if they didn't want to be doing 100x better, they wouldn't have been hiring these guys - but something in their development system itself.

For a while you could blame the open world gamestyle. But after FO:NV and Witcher 3, that doesn't fly anymore. Ok, I'll accept Witcher 3 as the kind of insane project that will never be the norm for a major studio, but FO:NV was a 'project to contract', made to budget, none of the endless time/budget to handcraft to insane detail a massive open world that Witcher 3 had - it had a good-but-not-alltime-great studio working on about the same budget that Bethesda would have given themselves to produce an expansion pack, and the difference in writing quality is astonishing. Sure, Obsidian has always has writing as one of its main strengths, but still - it's not like they had MCA on board in a major way apart from Dead Money (which is really like a mini-AMAZING-AWESOME game that happens to be a DLC for FONV rather than indicative of FO:NV itself, which is Sawyer through and through (lot's of logic, good DMing, good setting, no real art to it).

? When did Brian Mitsoda work for Bethesda? I'm not aware of any stream of quality writers hired by them.

Last edited:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Oh, now it's a "looter" shooter :lol:

Yes it obviously is if you have played it, Im actually very surprised Borderlands was not mentioned in the review as F4 is obviously trying to be a Borderlands clone, even so far as the "LOL lets see how many wacky hilarious characters we can stuff into our world". And then a bunch of other stuff tacked onto it thats "trendy" like house building.

Because we all fucking know it's GOTY and Perfect For What It Is® already.

So just to belabor the point why did we need this F4 review? We all know its a big steaming pile of AAA shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yes it obviously is if you have played it, Im actually very surprised Borderlands was not mentioned in the review as F4 is obviously trying to be a Borderlands clone, even so far as the "LOL lets see how many wacky hilarious characters we can stuff into our world". And then a bunch of other stuff tacked onto it thats "trendy" like house building.
I only played Borderlands 1 but Fo4 is not as crazy or silly as that game. If that is good or bad I don't know :D

The thing that's really weird though? Bethesda has spent BIG money getting top-notch writers in to try and improve their writing (getting Brian from V:TmB was one well-known example, but there's been a whole stream of them - it's clear that they've known it's a weakness and have been desperately trying to improve it for 10 years now). And they've consistently failed, to the point where almost all of their big-money writing hires do one game, then leave for far less certain job prospects and definitely lesser pay.

That tells me that there's something truly structurally wrong with their writing development. That it isn't just a matter of intent - if they didn't want to be doing 100x better, they wouldn't have been hiring these guys - but something in their development system itself.

For a while you could blame the open world gamestyle. But after FO:NV and Witcher 3, that doesn't fly anymore. Ok, I'll accept Witcher 3 as the kind of insane project that will never be the norm for a major studio, but FO:NV was a 'project to contract', made to budget, none of the endless time/budget to handcraft to insane detail a massive open world that Witcher 3 had - it had a good-but-not-alltime-great studio working on about the same budget that Bethesda would have given themselves to produce an expansion pack, and the difference in writing quality is astonishing. Sure, Obsidian has always has writing as one of its main strengths, but still - it's not like they had MCA on board in a major way apart from Dead Money (which is really like a mini-AMAZING-AWESOME game that happens to be a DLC for FONV rather than indicative of FO:NV itself, which is Sawyer through and through (lot's of logic, good DMing, good setting, no real art to it).

? When did Brian Mitsoda work for Bethesda? I'm not aware of any stream of quality writers hired by them

You're right - got him mixed up. It was George Ziets (wrote Mask of the Betrayer), not Mitsoda, but that actually makes it stand out even more, because it was such an immediate response. They poached him when Mask of the Betrayer came out, he stayed for one game (FO3 from memory), realised he made a huge mistake, and fled back to his old job at Obsidian. If you look at their writing credits, you'll see it's not an isolated incident - they've got huge turnover of writers from game to game, and they aren't hiring crap, if you follow through the credits via wikipedia stalking, they're proper writers, not 'designers who dabble in writing because the studio doesn't really care about that stuff'.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're right - got him mixed up. It was George Ziets (wrote Mask of the Betrayer), not Mitsoda, but that actually makes it stand out even more, because it was such an immediate response. They poached him when Mask of the Betrayer came out, he stayed for one game (FO3 from memory)

God no

George was the Lead Quest Designer for The Elder Scrolls Online MMO for a while. But that's not a real Bethesda game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're right - got him mixed up. It was George Ziets (wrote Mask of the Betrayer), not Mitsoda, but that actually makes it stand out even more, because it was such an immediate response. They poached him when Mask of the Betrayer came out, he stayed for one game (FO3 from memory), realised he made a huge mistake, and fled back to his old job at Obsidian. If you look at their writing credits, you'll see it's not an isolated incident - they've got huge turnover of writers from game to game, and they aren't hiring crap, if you follow through the credits via wikipedia stalking, they're proper writers, not 'designers who dabble in writing because the studio doesn't really care about that stuff'.

This does not look like unusual turn over to me.

GsZvdD6.png

QTwpVbh.png

mX0fE6r.png

ANG7yyj.png

WQzN6C0.png

ortucis

Prophet

I only played Borderlands 1 but Fo4 is not as crazy or silly as that game. If that is good or bad I don't know :D

How is Borderlands "crazy" or "silly" apart from that Claptrap robot?

I guess sequel has that Handsome Jack making shitty jokes, that's another silly thing. Other than that, both games did nothing unique or "crazy". Maybe having billions and trillions of shitty looking guns that fire unsatisfyingly, that could be classified under crazy.

While we're at it, this alpha-build demo from Obsidian has more "RPG" than Borderlands and Fallout 4 combined:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I tried playing STALKER, it is a different game than Fo4 and it is not a better looter shooter, just a better shooter.
Just a quick note - original STALKER is morally outdated, at least I feel it like that, if you want to play it consider some mods, for CoP there is perfect Misery mod.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
I tried playing STALKER, it is a different game than Fo4 and it is not a better looter shooter, just a better shooter.
Just a quick note - original STALKER is morally outdated, at least I feel it like that, if you want to play it consider some mods, for CoP there is perfect Misery mod.
Dont do no Misery, install Call of Chernoby, join Monolith and be the man your babushka always wanted you to be!

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Lol, on Russian imageboard some anon is sawing Call of Misery - porting Misery gameplay on CoC...
But CoC is too unbalansed and have no plot (it has but meh), so I even didn't tried to play it, Misety has all I need, given that I didn't played CoP before.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Lol, on Russian imageboard some anon is sawing Call of Misery - porting Misery gameplay on CoC...
But CoC is too unbalansed and have no plot (it has but meh), so I even didn't tried to play it, Misety has all I need, given that I didn't played CoP before.
Depends on which version of Misery, the lates one is pure bullshit and a try hard heaven.

Anyway, the point is, play STALKER instead of Fallout 4, it is simply a better game.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yep, I accidentally saw one letsplayer plaeyd Misery and then Fallout 4 in a row, and Fallout played like shit after STALKER Misery lol. I did not expect this. :lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well the few half arsed DLC's for FO4 pretty much show that even Bethesda were going through the motions with it; their arbitrary and thematically separate nature from the main game gives the impression that these area were originally cut content that they decided to shoehorn in as DLC as that's what was expected. Disgusting that such a mediocre experience still managed to sell shitloads. Bethesda probably learned the lesson that quality is a waste of time and they would be right.

throwaway

Cipher
Is this diarrhea on the level of that classic Oblivion review?
That was shamefully edgy. Bubbles did a solid and very thorough job with this review (shame he's not here to be fisted. although this taking one for the team was indicative of the level of his investment here). As someone who put a truly crazy amount of hours into a very modded FO3, I don't think I'll be able to put up with the retardation of this one. Doesn't get added to a backlog that includes even stuff like AssCreeds and FarCrys.

Parody of a title might have been a disservice to the article actually.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
I've been somewhat enjoying it as a Barbie Does Wasteland sort of light-hearted game. Dress up your busty Barbie doll and shoot things in the face. A few hours here and there, it's fine as long as you don't pay much attention to the dialogue or quests.

For that purpose, mods are absolutely required and here are few that I use:
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21370/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7898/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17797/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21914/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/15907/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8126/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3841/?

Go ham and don't take it seriously.

Drax

Arcane
My only recomendation is DO NOT MAKE MORE THAN 3 OR 4 SETTLEMENTS.
For fuck's sake this people are annoying as fuck... "Plz Halp We're being attacked" --->run back 20 miles to help the fuckers ---> It's just 3 ghouls and a rat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom