Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 13 Shocking Facts about Fallout 4 That Will Forever Change the Way You Think about RPGs

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I keep saying, shitty as it is, they could have made it reasonably fun if they had allowed people to set up servers with multiplayer, seeded random world, more "sandbox" elements, etc.

The horrible mutilations of the RPG aspects of the game would, at least, have made some sense, for certain uses. And real-time main advantage compared to turns is multiplayer, so why they didn't enhance their decade-old oblivion engine in that direction is beyond me.

Weasel
Forgot to post that I really enjoyed reading this Bubbles: well-written, well-argued and incredibly comprehensive. Never planned to play the game but still found it interesting to read :salute:

Noticed a small issue with wording in one paragraph:

The area designers have also to make better use of the vertical dimension than previous Bethesda games; most buildings have walkways, elevators, or holes in the ceiling, and secondary exits leading to rooftops or open-air bridges are common. They don't have much of an impact on gameplay, but they make the buildings feel a bit more lively and diverse.

I got the impression you were being positive on this point, in which case "the area designers have also made better use" might have been what you were going for.

Magus01

Novice
I enjoyed reading the review - it is well argued and well thought out. And it mentions all things I find bad in Fallout 4. Yet - it is predominately bad, and I see the game a bit more positive.

Beth always lobotomizes their game systems (including Elder Scrolls which was an interesting system with a lot of new ideas at the start). But with every release of a new game in a series, be that Fallout or be that Elder Scrolls they 'simplify', dumb down and essentially kill their own systems. And they love the dumb WOW effects like the visible fingers adjusting the Pipboy - which makes it impossible to present information in a good way.

But it sells, as we can see with Fallout 4, their last installment of a big open world game. I think they have really good ideas at Bethesda. But the market also requests simple games, simple systems and 'non frustrating' game play for everybody which means the games cannot be intelligent and diverse - players would have to read and understand what NPCs say and do, how awful! So - story very simple (politely said), interface console friendly, even on PCs, silly but graphically impressive effects, no real background, and a real bad dialog system.

But it sells - and it will not become better. Because it sells.
Todays production costs of a video game are forbidding high - if a studio does this the _must_ sell a lot of game copies. Witcher 3 tried to make a good game and they succeeded (IMHO), but this was only possible once, I think. Minimal risk with big investments is the way to go, and we will see if they manage to repeat their success. Maybe CD Project will change the industry a bit. We can hope.

Yet - I have to admit that I enjoy FO4 despite all its flaws. But pointing out the flaws and writing harsh reviews is a good way to represent all gamers who would expect a bit more than cheap, silly effects in a game...

Trotsky

Arcane
I read through the thread before actually reading your review. Maybe because I'm a blogger who has written similar pieces I didn't think it was that long but codexers are just as retarded as the society they criticize. Good stuff but it mostly comes from someone who never wanted to like the game either. Bethesda games typically have a solid foundation but considering mainstream opinion is against the game as rehashed and outdated Bethesda has obviously reached the limits of their current model even if some of us knew that.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I'm a blogger

... but codexers are just as retarded.

I think you could write less and more to the point.
More like:

18601.jpg

naossano

Cipher
I wonder how considering your audience as outright moron as safe is beyond me...
Actually, their main goal was to advertize the game, make people buy it, through some marketing argument.
What they actually put in the game once you bought it is entirelly their awfull design, not playing safe.

Anyway, i don't see why you self-inflicted so much pain. You could play innocent with Fallout 3, but here, after the previous game, and the advertizing for this one, what did you expect ? Why going through the trouble of giving them even more money ?

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What is your opinion about Animal Friend/Wasteland Whisperer/Intimidation charisma perks? They are the equivalent of charm and command spells in Elder Scrolls. Devs seem to have found "awesome" the idea of conveying some kind manipulative jedi powers through gunpoint. I Liked the ability to command wasteland critters, human scum, legendaries etc. But Why they didn't come up with an idea similar to mesmetron?. Well, doesn't matter anyway after looking upon the overall integrity and coherence of FO 4.

Also, some Power armor workshop mods are very underwhelming. Overdrive servos and Jetpacks are difficult to use since they drain AP bar pretty quickly, Blood cleanser and Rad scrubbers only bypass the need of investing in bad perks and the Tesla Coils sometimes don't deal damage (maybe a bug). The others mods are just alright: enhancing AP regen, melee damage, or stats in order to put your character further to the "godly" condition if you are willing to do a LOT of unnecessary scavenging (PA upgrade is very resource intensive).

Servo

Arcane
fully voiced main character bleats out a mournful “Shaun! Shaaaaun...” at the slightest provocation

Stopped reading here. Bethesda are so retarded.

RebootKrondor

Barely Literate
Just joined to say: TL:Read It Anyway. Couldn't agree more. Good work!

I didn't feel a F***ING thing throughout the entire game.

Morro(blivion)/Oblivion/Skyrim/Fallout 3/FO:NV all tickled me, to varying degrees, and each in their own unique way.

Fallout 4 - NOTHING!(I got a strange, sinking feeling in my gut when I first left the Red Rocket on my way to Concord. I can't quite explain it, but...turns out my gut was right.)

But I still can't decide who the more cliched companion was - The "plucky" reporter or the "bruising" I.R.A reject. Blechhh!

RebootKrondor

Barely Literate
Well...I could've fired off a list off all the games I've ever played....

Just a koinydink, cobber.

RebootKrondor

Barely Literate
Okay, this probably aint gonna see the light of day(nor do I want it to), but hopefully you'll read it...Captain Clever Trousers.

I don't wanna be a part of your clique, cuz. I just wanted to express my approval of the review.

FYI, my first personal gaming comp was a...386DX with an...S3 Virge(I think). And although I'm not an "RPG geek", as such, they comprise about 80% of the games I've played...since I first started gaming on my family's dedicated pong console...on a black and white Rank Arena TV...in the late 70's(I always lie about my D.O.B. on forums, and not because I'm vain).

I wonder...would you have had the balls, as a pre-teen, to walk into a shady pool joint filled with crims(When crims were CRIMS)...to play a pinball machine?

You know what they say about assumption...

Now kindly go forth and multiply.

Do as I asked please.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
5185.jpg
But wait. Are you a man? or a woman?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom