Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

12 reasons why Daggerfall is the best ES

1: The combat is great and better than Morrowind's as you hit more often and can retrieve arrows and can hit in multiple directions which have different amounts of damage and accuracy. You can also make combat faster by increasing SPD too

2: The soundtrack is a masterpiece and is also dynamic to the environment and weather you are in currently.

3: The main plot is the best out of any ES game featuring lots of main factions that have their own histories and interactions actually with each other forming all kinds of shades of gray with it

4: The artstyle looks great with a very gloomy tolkien/ES mix that still holds up

5: It features a bunch of mechanics that aren't featured in newer ES games like climbing, wagons, and banking

6: It has a lot of simulator elements such as the reputation system, holidays, and seasons to make a world that feels alive

7: It's the only ES game that doesn't have a fake sense of urgency to it.

8: It has realistic settlements which range from small villages to huge cities within it

9: The dungeons are actually dangerous and can be challenging

10: It has lots of customization within enchantments and spells

11: It has one of the deepest character creators ever made in the past 25 years

12: It is the most innovative ES game featuring a reactive, realistic sized world on a 3D engine that reacts to time too

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I could easily make a 12 reasons list why Daggerfall is the shittiest TES game but I'm too lazy.
1. it managed to procedurally generate an empty world

2. It's not moddable.

3. It has a huge number of skills that are useless.

4. Its level scaling is also retarded and not fixable this time.

5. The dungeons are way too fucking long and terrible.

6. Some sidequests cannot be completed because of bad procedural generation.

7. It's incredibly easy to cheat bankers out of free money.

8. Buying a house or a ship is absolutely useless.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

The level scaling is necessary because the content is generated out of thin air as you go along. It never made sense in later games because there you had hand crafted content.

See, saying things like this shows you have no idea of what the fuck you are talking about which makes everything else you say suspect.

grimace

Arcane

This level scaling and difficulty adjustment was my issue with Fallout 3/NV and Oblivion/Skyrim.

Something was too hard? Adjust to make it easy.
Something was too easy? No sense of accomplishment.

B a l a n c e ?

MWaser

Arbiter
This is fucking bait, but I'm bored so I'll bite.

1: The combat is great and better than Morrowind's as you hit more often and can retrieve arrows and can hit in multiple directions which have different amounts of damage and accuracy. You can also make combat faster by increasing SPD too
TES games have always had really abysmal combat, I'll give you that Daggerfall's is at least better than Morrowind's. You still miss like a motherfucker though, and the fact that equipment quality also determines to-hit bonus makes it so that it's easier to hit something with a daedric warhammer with no strength and no blunt skill than it is to stab someone with a steel dagger with mediocre short blades skill. Which is retarded.

But the systems of Oblivion and Skyrim are lame as fuck and despite no nonsensical misses are still garbage so there's nothing to defend.
2: The soundtrack is a masterpiece and is also dynamic to the environment and weather you are in currently.
I'd say soundtrack is subjective but claiming that Daggerfall's soundtrack makes it an actual reason for why it's better than other games (like Morrowind, if we're comparing soundtracks) is a completely retarded statement.
3: The main plot is the best out of any ES game featuring lots of main factions that have their own histories and interactions actually with each other forming all kinds of shades of gray with it
Yeah plot and setting in daggerfall are pretty good. But as for whatever greyness there is, there's also plenty of rather unquestionably scummy people. Especially Wayrest and Gothryd, which are extremely unsympathetic and a bunch of bastards overall. Black and grey, not fully grey.
4: The artstyle looks great with a very gloomy tolkien/ES mix that still holds up
:shitposting:
UALEaLq.jpg

5: It features a bunch of mechanics that aren't featured in newer ES games like climbing, wagons, and banking
Yeah and most of these mechanics are broken garbage. Woop dee fucking doo dah, I could go over each of them separately but this post will already waste enough of my time.
6: It has a lot of simulator elements such as the reputation system, holidays, and seasons to make a world that feels alive
Seasons are a nice unique addition. Holidays would be nice if not for the fact that nothing matters in that game. Reputation system is a joke that never goes anywhere because 99% of things that matter are either guild reputation or main quest progression, so you can discredit most of that mechanic as a waste of time.
OH, you mean because it gives you a real sense of urgency by constantly imposing time limits on you? Because there's nothing else Daggerfall does otherwise that would differentiate it from the other TES games, which all claim that everything is urgent (and from a world/storytelling perspective, their claims are legitimate) but the gameplay mechanics don't enforce it so nothing stops you from doing years of sidequests.
8: It has realistic settlements which range from small villages to huge cities within it
If by "realistic" you mean "they're all a waste of time and space" then sure. Because I certainly care about 99% of locations in daggerfall as much as I care about 99% of the locations in the real world. That is to say, not at all.
9: The dungeons are actually dangerous and can be challenging
They're dangerous to the player's sanity, that's for sure. You can easily get stuck for days in those hellholes. I won't argue against this point necessarily because the dungeons in Daggerfall are a unique factor it has going for it that actually makes it worthwile, as opposed to the other mentioned points. However they're still extremely painful so only recommended for fans of crazy dungeon crawling.
Sure does. And guess what, most of them, at least for spells, are once again completely useless. Morrowind has more customization that yields actual interesting and potentially broken effects, so I'm more fond of it. But it's nice at least that it's not as simplified as Oblivion's or virtually removed like Skyrim.
11: It has one of the deepest character creators ever made in the past 25 years
The extremely deep class customization also came with the side effect of nullifying most racial bonuses, killing parts of its depth that could have made it more interesting. But still, character creation is a genuine point towards Daggerfall
12: It is the most innovative ES game featuring a reactive, realistic sized world on a 3D engine that reacts to time too
Did you just make this shit up at the last second because you couldn't come up with a genuine 12th point and it didn't seem right for you to go with "11 reasons"? Because that barely even makes any sense :shittydog:

DraQ

Arcane
Points I disagree with:

You can retrieve arrows in MW (not guaranteed, but they are often retrievable) and you can also hit in multiple directions. You can retrieve arrows, including misses in Skyrim too. OTOH you can't block in DF, and there is no stagger or knockdown mechanics. There are no summons. I don't think there is differentiation of weapons based on reach and materials form a disappointingly linear hierarchy (like in every remaining TES save for MW) and don't have individual quirks - even just visual ones.
To hit modifier from material also doesn't make sense and overwhelms the rest of the to-hit mechanics.

The artstyle is mostly generic and meh. Morrowind takes the lead here and Skyrim isn't bad either.
Morrowind.
Half agreed. The best spellmaker is in Morrowind, due to the fact the effects are applied sequentially, and you also have summons and TK. It's almost a script engine of its own. OTOH DF's enchanting system is unparalleled and my main beef here is that you didn't make it a separate point as with chargen.

Anyway:
  • Lore, world, exploration, mechanical coherence? Morrowind.
  • Boobs Sheer ambition, scale, depth of simulation mechanics? Daggerfall.
  • Gameplay? HEAVILY modded Skyrim (unmodded it's somewhere around Morrowind in terms of gameplay, better than MW's expansions but not the main game in terms of everything else).

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
I didn't like daggerfall but I generally agree with this thread. That being said I have better reasons.

1. The first elder scroll is called arena, super good randomly generated adventure

2. The third is called Morrowind, super good amazing alive world, npc's that stand still all day and great combat

3. The fourth is called Oblivion, super good level scaled adventure, save world speak to idiots

4. The 5th is called skyrim, duno never played this one

With competition like that it's like saying Daggerfall is the least retarded on the short bus.

Dustin542

Liturgist
I could easily make a 12 reasons list why Daggerfall is the shittiest TES game but I'm too lazy.

8. Buying a house or a ship is absolutely useless.

You could at least rest in a wanted city or anywhere safely with a ship since you can just teleport to it at anytime and teleport back to where you were standing. Good luck remembering where your house is though with how many cities there are. I must have lost the bill of sale somewhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom