Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

12 most terrifying games of all time

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
http://www.gamespot.com/users/THE_DRUGG ... pbox;img;2

Doom 3 provided a level of fear that was unchallenged in its genre at the time. From subtle atmospheric lighting to more abrupt jump scares, Doom 3 wears the player down to terrified frustration until the very end.

Though not intended to entirely be a horror game, there are plenty of instances in the Vault Dweller's adventures that involve plenty of unwanted close-ups with feral ghouls in the dank underground caverns, abandoned buildings, sewers, and like locations. In fact, almost any enemy in those claustrophobic areas will make players jump more times than they imagine.
Guess which Fallout he's talking about

I like how something about 80% of the most terrifing games "of all time" came out in the last 4 or 5 years.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
kingcomrade said:
I like how something about 80% of the most terrifing games "of all time" came out in the last 4 or 5 years.

Pixels aren't scary.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
This guy's writing is awful. Every entry starts off with some inane comment about the game, "everyone can agree/undoubtedly/clearly"

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Undoubtedly he's a faggot, as clearly everyone can agree. And a console one, at that.

Fatal frame deserves to be somewhere on a list like this. Everything else just goes to show how retarded this guy is.

Glad to see he mentioned System Shock 2.. oh wait he didn't.

Also his 'rage-quit' games are bullshit too.

Zeus

Cipher
kingcomrade said:

I hate lists like that. I'm just going to assume there's no disturbing text adventures.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That list is more full of fail then usual. Further decline of gaming journalism.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
kingcomrade said:

Pixels aren't scary.

I find 1998-2004 games a lot scarier than the top-notch übergrafik modern ones. System Shock 2 is scarier than Bioshock. Morrowind is a lot creepier in the dungeons (Sixth House bases especially) than Oblivion and Fallout 3. Bloodlines had some scary places.

And it's not only because these games had better design than most modern ones. It's because the graphics nowadays have too much bloom, special effects and more detailed models that leave nothing to the imagination. Older less detailed 3D models are a lot creepier than hyper detail ones. And somehow I feel that lighting was done a lot better back then, too.

systemshock_790screen005.jpg

versus
bioshock-wrench-splicer.jpg

which is better and why

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Isn't this just a random gamespot fucktard and not a paid journie?

Why is this even here? Why are you commenting on it?
Who gives a shit about this retard?

Texas Red

Whiner
PlanHex said:
Isn't this just a random gamespot fucktard and not a paid journie?

What is the difference between the two? What is the difference?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Fallout 3 but Call of Cthulhu isn't even on the list?

The guy has never heard of Penumbra either?

The Hotel level in VtM comes to mind.

And I found System Shock and System Shock 2 pretty scary, when I played them the first time. Especially that moment when Shodan started talking. Artificial intelligence making unhuman sounds, gave me the creeps.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The escape from the Innsmouth hotel in Dark Corners was pretty fucking intense. No weapons, and your character is on the verge of a panic attack while he's pushing large bookcases and bolting doors to keep away from the murderous mob only four or five feet behind him. Good times.

SS2 and the Thief games also had their moments, and it was mainly due to their high quality audio. I still remember the first time I heard a Hammer Haunt or the dying screams of a Midwife, god-fucking-damn. Those Looking Glass games didn't need to rely on high-end graphics and shit, the audio alone was enough to make the games spooky. It was also very weird how the zombies just kind of "sleep" in Thief but then immediately jump up when you come near them.

As for the Fallout series, Fallout 3 wasn't very atmospheric or scary at all imo, but the Master's Cathedral in the original was well done.

Pablosdog

Prophet
yeah hes just another gamespotter

you should see system wars.

Funny stuff that system wars.

List is fucked IMO...

No game made as of yet has been truly "scary," and movies don't fare much better... The only genuinely *scary* flick is The Exorcist, and games are still incapable of generating that type of atmosphere of sheer terror in a virtual setting.

filogreek

Scholar
Although the entire game isn't scary, I thought the Shalebridge Cradle level (haunted insane asylum) in Thief 3 was pretty well done. It was definitely a horror-themed level, but I don't remember it being all about cheap scares or shocks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom